Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? 17:56 - Feb 19 with 7634 viewstractordownsouth

And from the perspective of the people you'd most like to lead the country, not the party. So if you're a Tory supporter, which people would make you most likely to vote Labour.

Leader:

Lisa Nandy
Keir Starmer
Rebecca Long Bailey

Would be happy with either of the top 2 becoming leader. RLB has impressed me as more charismatic than I previously gave her credit for but I'm not keen on us running on an almost identical manifesto, even if she's more competent and doesn't have the skeletons in the closet that JC has. I've been disappointed with Starmer for his lack of policy outline but is generally a skilled operator and I'd trust him to maintain the popular elements of the manifesto, such as rail nationalisation, without overloading it with things like broadband etc. - he's made a point of this. Nandy makes the top of my list as I feel she's likely to have the best appeal with the swing voters and will be strong enough to hold the Tories to account.

Deputy:

Angela Rayner
Ian Murray
Roseena Allin Khan
Dawn Butler
Richard Burgon

There's a massive difference between the competency of the top 3 and Butler and Burgon, I don't want either of them anywhere near the leadership: Burgon's peace pledge just seems like posturing and he seems more preoccupied with maintaining ideological purity than actually winning elections. Whilst it wasn't her fault specifically, I think Butler has to take some of the blame, as equalities spokesperson, for the lack of action with anti semitism. I haven't seen a great deal of Allin Khan, although Lisa Nandy told me after the Bristol hustings that she'll have her in her Shadow Cabinet if she wins (exclusive info for you there!) Ruth Smeeth has endorsed Murray, claiming he showed the most desire to deal with the Anti- Semitism crisis, which is a positive. I don't like geting into identity politics, but I think having a prominent Scottish Labour voice in the media would help address the disconnect between the party and the post-2015 SNP voters. I'd be happy with either Murray or Rayner, as I think the latter speaks well and embodies what Labour is all about with her life story.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 17:52 - Feb 20 with 749 viewsmanchego

Anyone who understands that there is no 'kinder gentler' politics'
Anyone who can fight hard and fight dirty.

Tories do that with the press on their side so they are up against it.
Labour needs to know how to go low.
Explain clearly and definitively why Tories are bad for most people, most of the time.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 17:58 - Feb 20 with 735 viewsmanchego

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 10:22 - Feb 20 by footers

Starmer will be "posh", "out of touch", etc. While BoJo and JRM are just like yer mates down the pub :)

exactly this.
Labour need to learn how to brush off that kind of thing. De Pfeffle and so many others manage to be made of teflon. The incessant lying didn't touch them during the referendum and the election.
Plus the obvious racism and appalling attitude to poor people.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:34 - Feb 20 with 709 viewsRadlett_blue

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 17:52 - Feb 20 by manchego

Anyone who understands that there is no 'kinder gentler' politics'
Anyone who can fight hard and fight dirty.

Tories do that with the press on their side so they are up against it.
Labour needs to know how to go low.
Explain clearly and definitively why Tories are bad for most people, most of the time.

They would do better by explaining how their policies will be good for at least 50% of the people, rather than running down the government or coming up with ideological driven nonsense such as the 32 hour working week.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:54 - Feb 20 with 692 viewsitfcjoe

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:34 - Feb 20 by Radlett_blue

They would do better by explaining how their policies will be good for at least 50% of the people, rather than running down the government or coming up with ideological driven nonsense such as the 32 hour working week.

They need to embrace the future, not live in the past

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:09 - Feb 20 with 677 viewsmanchego

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:54 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

I heard Blair ( I know ) talking about this.
The old idea of post war Labour is stuck in our psyche.
It doesn't move forward.

He said that Tories are excellent at moving forwards and adapting.
Labour are stuck in the past.

I respect Blair.
I know about the War.
I stopped voting Labour because of Iraq.

I think he is right about the state of the Labour Party.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:27 - Feb 20 with 662 viewsDarth_Koont

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:54 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

A 32-hour working week is in the future. AI and automation are going to make millions of people redundant without creating many new jobs.

Technological advances normally create new industries and jobs to replace and even increase capacity but it's hard to see how that plays out to the same degree with AI and automation.

The likelihood is that humans can aim for a better quality of life with less work. Which was the same reason we started moving to shorter working weeks and fewer hours before. But there will also be a need to share work around.

If the Tories' idea is to let the market sort all this out and people lucky enough to exploit the opportunities have their way then it's going to be chaos.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 19:31]

Pronouns: He/Him

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:30 - Feb 20 with 657 viewsHerbivore

The future will almost certainly involve shorter working weeks as automation and AI make human labour increasingly obsolete.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:51 - Feb 20 with 637 viewsitfcjoe

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:27 - Feb 20 by Darth_Koont

A 32-hour working week is in the future. AI and automation are going to make millions of people redundant without creating many new jobs.

Technological advances normally create new industries and jobs to replace and even increase capacity but it's hard to see how that plays out to the same degree with AI and automation.

The likelihood is that humans can aim for a better quality of life with less work. Which was the same reason we started moving to shorter working weeks and fewer hours before. But there will also be a need to share work around.

If the Tories' idea is to let the market sort all this out and people lucky enough to exploit the opportunities have their way then it's going to be chaos.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 19:31]

I agree with that, I meant more their other policies - renationalising industries and pumping money into areas where it will make little difference in reality

Blair this morning using examples of renationalising railways when transport is automating and there will be driverless cars in a few years. Stop fighting the battles off the past and getting bogged down

Login to get fewer ads

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:52 - Feb 20 with 628 viewsHerbivore

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:51 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

I agree with that, I meant more their other policies - renationalising industries and pumping money into areas where it will make little difference in reality

Blair this morning using examples of renationalising railways when transport is automating and there will be driverless cars in a few years. Stop fighting the battles off the past and getting bogged down

Our rail system is a mess though, there are good arguments for renationalising it.

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 20:03 - Feb 20 with 609 viewsitfcjoe

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:52 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Our rail system is a mess though, there are good arguments for renationalising it.

There are, but there also arguments to invest that money elsewhere in a way that would help more people

I’m not anti-rail nationalisation per se, but don’t see it as a panacea to solving a lot of problems

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 20:04 - Feb 20 with 607 viewsDarth_Koont

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 19:51 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

I don't think investing in our infrastructure is a battle of the past. Quite the opposite.

And remember the uproar about Corbyn's proposal for free broadband everywhere? One of the most sensible and visionary policies and people were annoyed it was free. But they'd reject the NHS too if it wasn't already there.

The laissez-faire, market-driven attitude hasn't served us well at all. Blair can push his ideology all he wants but if he's justifying past mistakes then that's also no way to address the future.

I suggest we look at things soberly, learn from other countries and do what's best for the UK and its citizens in the long term, not just the next election cycle or to serve vested interests. A lot of that won't be possible relying on private enterprise.

Or we can just bluster our way through, making it up as we go along while waving a flag and blaming foreigners.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 20:23 - Feb 20 with 569 viewsHerbivore

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 20:03 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

There are, but there also arguments to invest that money elsewhere in a way that would help more people

I’m not anti-rail nationalisation per se, but don’t see it as a panacea to solving a lot of problems

It should solve problems with our rail system, which is what it's intended to do. We should be investing in decent public transport as part of trying to reduce carbon emissions and our current network isn't fit for purpose. It's one of the most expensive yet least reliable in Europe.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024