Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burton game - turning point or blip? 08:10 - Feb 20 with 6995 viewsHerbivore

Now the dust has settled after the weekend, just wondering what people's thoughts are? I've seen a few people suggest that it was or could be a turning point that sees us push on for the rest of the season. I am a bit skeptical of that for a few reasons.

Firstly, we similarly beat a poor Accrington side earlier in the year and our form continued to be patchy thereafter. Secondly, Burton came and played quite open which gave us a lot of space to hurt them. Not many sides will do that. Thirdly, Burton were weakened at the back and on a poor run. We know we've got enough quality to roll over the poorer sides in the division, that's not our issue.

On the other hand, we did look more balanced as a side overall. Earl gives us better balance in the back three for sure and Garbutt and Edwards give us much better width than their replacements. Judge played with more positional discipline than he has in a while which meant he got beyond the strikers and added a threat high up the pitch. Jackson and Keane actually looked capable of playing together, which they haven't done all that often when I've seen them, and linked up nicely at times. In their own different ways, they were unplayable.

For me it's very much a case of wait and see. It was a very good performance and I hope something has genuinely clicked. That said, there are some big caveats against the win as well. This weekend's game is massive. Oxford have themselves had a sticky run, albeit they won handsomely midweek, but they're a decent side and exactly the sort of team we've not done well enough against this season. Win this one and win it fairly well and it gives us a good platform for the run in. Anything else and it increasingly looks like a tough struggle to guarantee a play off slot.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:44 - Feb 20 with 1814 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:39 - Feb 20 by andytown

Burton were 6th at some point relatively recently. I remember seeing the table

I've looked back to the start of this month and the start of last month and they weren't 6th in either.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:49 - Feb 20 with 1812 viewsMullet

I think things will pick up because we have a better run in and so many home games. I know a lot of people are making a big deal out of that either way, but the result this weekend will feed into how we perform in front of a place either willing on a push upwards or lamenting another toxic downturn.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:52 - Feb 20 with 1803 viewsChrisd

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:39 - Feb 20 by andytown

Burton were 6th at some point relatively recently. I remember seeing the table

Here's the proof Andytown and it wasn't that long ago. I thought I remembered seeing them in the top 6 at some point this season.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 11:54]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 12:26 - Feb 20 with 1763 viewsandytown

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:52 - Feb 20 by Chrisd

Here's the proof Andytown and it wasn't that long ago. I thought I remembered seeing them in the top 6 at some point this season.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 11:54]

Cheers. Hadn't gotten around to digging it up and you've done it for me! I'm slightly surprised its as recent as a month ago.
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 12:56 - Feb 20 with 1742 viewsjayessess

BLIP
- Burton at a level we've beaten before
- Played with a high line, which suited us
- Gave the ball away a lot in midfield

TURNING POINT
- Earl is better than Wilson
- We look better organised with Holy in there
- Garbutt and Bishop back
- Keane, Judge and Jackson's best games
- With hindsight looked easy, but they scored first and pressed quite persistently, didn't look easy until we scored

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:06 - Feb 20 with 1731 viewsIpswichKnight

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 12:56 - Feb 20 by jayessess

BLIP
- Burton at a level we've beaten before
- Played with a high line, which suited us
- Gave the ball away a lot in midfield

TURNING POINT
- Earl is better than Wilson
- We look better organised with Holy in there
- Garbutt and Bishop back
- Keane, Judge and Jackson's best games
- With hindsight looked easy, but they scored first and pressed quite persistently, didn't look easy until we scored

Agree with that, I said after the Lincoln game better teams will push and harass Chambers and Wilson knowing they are not comfortable on the ball and likely to look for a quick way to get rid of the ball.

Oxford looked slow at the back against us earlier, however some of that could have been the weather! I remember thinking at the time they would struggle with Jackson and someone running directly at them, hopefully it wasn't the weather and they are slow at the back!
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:07 - Feb 20 with 1730 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 12:26 - Feb 20 by andytown

Cheers. Hadn't gotten around to digging it up and you've done it for me! I'm slightly surprised its as recent as a month ago.

They've only picked up 4 points in 6 games since then though. Their form has been really poor of late. They must have been in the top 6 for less than a week all season, they're solid midtable fodder.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:14 - Feb 20 with 1726 viewsflimflam

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:08 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

When were they in the top 6? They've generally been midtable all season.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/burton-albion/tab/leagueTables/14-january-2020/

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Login to get fewer ads

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:29 - Feb 20 with 1709 viewsChrisd

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:07 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

They've only picked up 4 points in 6 games since then though. Their form has been really poor of late. They must have been in the top 6 for less than a week all season, they're solid midtable fodder.

You initially raised doubt that Burton had ever been in the top 6 this season.

'When were they in the top 6? They've generally been midtable all season.'

Not how long they had remained there? You could question our own form over the last 20 games, that doesn't suggest we're a side challenging for promotion.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:33 - Feb 20 with 1702 viewsBrixtonBlue

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:07 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

LOL.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 1691 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:14 - Feb 20 by flimflam

https://www.11v11.com/teams/burton-albion/tab/leagueTables/14-january-2020/

Fair enough. I didn't remember the 3 or 4 days they were 6th, I remembered the rest of the season with them in midtable.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:45 - Feb 20 with 1685 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:29 - Feb 20 by Chrisd

You initially raised doubt that Burton had ever been in the top 6 this season.

'When were they in the top 6? They've generally been midtable all season.'

Not how long they had remained there? You could question our own form over the last 20 games, that doesn't suggest we're a side challenging for promotion.

Yes, I asked when they were top 6 as they've generally been midtable all season. It turns out they were 6th for 3 or 4 days in January in a season where they've spent the rest of it in midtable.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:47 - Feb 20 with 1684 viewslongtimefan

I think the issue will be that, perhaps other than Oxford on Saturday, the other leading teams coming here over the rest of the season (Fleetwood, Coventry and Portsmouth) will see a draw as a good result against us, given their relative positions in the table and with games in hand. That means they'll most likely play in a more negative manner which is unlikely to help us, as we always seem to struggle to break down teams that are defensively well organised. Unfortunately a point a game in those games will be not be sufficient for us.
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 15:36 - Feb 20 with 1578 viewsflimflam

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:43 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Fair enough. I didn't remember the 3 or 4 days they were 6th, I remembered the rest of the season with them in midtable.

But they were in the top 6 recently were they not?

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 15:54 - Feb 20 with 1567 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 15:36 - Feb 20 by flimflam

But they were in the top 6 recently were they not?

Yes, but I'm not sure what point you think that makes? They were top 6 for a few days. Prior to that few days and since that few days they've been mired in midtable. I genuinely didn't recall those halcyon few days when midtable Burton briefly soared to the heady heights of 6th before settling back down in midtable again. My bad, I'm sorry.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 16:35 - Feb 20 with 1534 viewsjayessess

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 13:47 - Feb 20 by longtimefan

I think the issue will be that, perhaps other than Oxford on Saturday, the other leading teams coming here over the rest of the season (Fleetwood, Coventry and Portsmouth) will see a draw as a good result against us, given their relative positions in the table and with games in hand. That means they'll most likely play in a more negative manner which is unlikely to help us, as we always seem to struggle to break down teams that are defensively well organised. Unfortunately a point a game in those games will be not be sufficient for us.

Given that the other 9 are all pretty winnable, I'd say drawing all three of those probably isn't a disaster. I'd also question whether teams sitting in has been our undoing. Rotherham, Peterborough and Sunderland all attacked us.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 16:38 - Feb 20 with 1530 viewsitfcjoe

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 15:54 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Yes, but I'm not sure what point you think that makes? They were top 6 for a few days. Prior to that few days and since that few days they've been mired in midtable. I genuinely didn't recall those halcyon few days when midtable Burton briefly soared to the heady heights of 6th before settling back down in midtable again. My bad, I'm sorry.

The point is he was right in his original post and you were wrong, you can just admit that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:18 - Feb 20 with 1498 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Burton did play open which suited our style but I thought we moved the ball more quickly than in recent games and a bit more direct, often hitting crosses into the danger area before the defence had a chance to get organised. So, in one sense, I see it as a potential turning point.

Most teams will come to Portman Road with a compact defence and midfield and our best hope of breaking those teams down is when our centre backs make attacking runs.
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:25 - Feb 20 with 1479 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 16:38 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

The point is he was right in his original post and you were wrong, you can just admit that

I've admitted I didn't realise they'd been in the top 6,
I'm just not sure of the wider significance of it when they were there for about 3 days and have been squarely in the middle of the table prior to and since those few days. If the only point is some sort of "nah nah nah nah nah, I'm right and you're not!" then you'll thank me for staying out of the playground. I'm trying to have a grown up debate.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 17:26]

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:49 - Feb 20 with 1462 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:18 - Feb 20 by BudapestByBlimp

Burton did play open which suited our style but I thought we moved the ball more quickly than in recent games and a bit more direct, often hitting crosses into the danger area before the defence had a chance to get organised. So, in one sense, I see it as a potential turning point.

Most teams will come to Portman Road with a compact defence and midfield and our best hope of breaking those teams down is when our centre backs make attacking runs.

I think this Saturday will be a big test to be fair. It's hard to read a lot into the Burton game because they were so open and so fragile at the back, as well as being out of form. We looked good, but there's several caveats on that. If we produce a similar performance against Oxford and beat an actual top 6 rival then that would feel more like a turning point.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:59 - Feb 20 with 1442 viewsitfcjoe

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:25 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

I've admitted I didn't realise they'd been in the top 6,
I'm just not sure of the wider significance of it when they were there for about 3 days and have been squarely in the middle of the table prior to and since those few days. If the only point is some sort of "nah nah nah nah nah, I'm right and you're not!" then you'll thank me for staying out of the playground. I'm trying to have a grown up debate.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 17:26]

Do you not think his point was fair? That they are no mugs and were in the top 6 recently as proof of that.

They may have played a style that played into our hands but they clearly aren’t an awful side - flimflam made a decent point but you just belittled it in reality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 18:05 - Feb 20 with 1424 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 17:59 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

Do you not think his point was fair? That they are no mugs and were in the top 6 recently as proof of that.

They may have played a style that played into our hands but they clearly aren’t an awful side - flimflam made a decent point but you just belittled it in reality

They've been midtable all season aside from the three days in January where they were briefly in 6th. I'm not sure what that is meant to prove. They have otherwise been squarely midtable all season. That's the point, they aren't anything special. They're a midtable side on a poor run.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:55 - Feb 23 with 1280 viewsHerbivore

Narrator: It was a blip.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 12:22 - Feb 23 with 1246 viewsbazgammon

Blip. defo.

Poll: Lambert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024