Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improving My Mental Health 08:56 - Feb 21 with 5118 viewsSikamikanico

I have suffered with Mental Health issues for a number of years now. Bottled them up for around 8 or so years and they all came flooding out in 2017. These worsened last year when I found myself on the brink of suicide. Thankfully I called the Samaritans instead of acting on how I was feeling.

I have been fighting a losing battle with work stress, depression and anxiety. My job is very stressful and is also quite niche with not many transferable skills to different roles.

Recent counselling has made me realise that if I took my work stress away I could concentrate on my mental health and personal relationships so I have decided to leave my job and try my hand at self employment and temping. Money is no longer a concern for me, we will have enough other income to cover basic needs and we have savings.

I will have to give up non-essential expenses though and this will include my season ticket for next year. Football has always been an escape but I need to tackle my issues head on now.

TWTD is a place I have found oddly comforting and the infrequent posts about mental health and the understanding people here have shown has been comforting to me,
Improving My Mental Health on 09:02 - Feb 21 with 4552 viewsGuthrum

Hope things go well with the self-employment. I took that step many years ago. Can be stressful in its own way (mainly finding enough work), but also very rewarding.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Improving My Mental Health on 09:08 - Feb 21 with 4528 viewsusm

Best of luck, fella.

I am no expert, but it sounds like you are going down the right path(s). Keep talking and dont bottle it up.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Improving My Mental Health on 09:10 - Feb 21 with 4512 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Do gardening.....conservation voluntary work....basically anything to be out in nature would be my recommendation. Good luck.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Improving My Mental Health on 09:11 - Feb 21 with 4509 viewsitfcpaul

Hi

I have posted many times on her about Mental Health and the difficulties it brings to life. I would really like to offer some help and advice if you are open to it but not in an open forum as I have been ridiculed before by a minute number of posters on here so won't risk opening up for thst to happen again but if you are interested please check out my relevant postings and then PM me if you want to chat.

Hope you get the help you need whether it's from me or someone else.

Cheers

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Improving My Mental Health on 09:12 - Feb 21 with 4504 viewsurbanblue

Really, really wish you well. Well done for identifying that work causes the stress and taking action. Very good that you are not making money your priority. That really makes life easier.

Good luck with it all eh!
Improving My Mental Health on 09:17 - Feb 21 with 4482 viewsDyland

You've made the most important step by confronting it and being honest and talking. Keep doing that so people can understand, and help you if and when you want or need that. Take care of yourself.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Improving My Mental Health on 09:35 - Feb 21 with 4431 viewsPippin1970

All the best to you. I'm in the midst leaving my job. Funny enough I do mental health work for challenging disabilities. I've done it for years but end of the week your brain is fryed. Off doing patient transport from April. Looking forward to it.
Improving My Mental Health on 09:37 - Feb 21 with 4425 viewsSikamikanico

Improving My Mental Health on 09:02 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

Hope things go well with the self-employment. I took that step many years ago. Can be stressful in its own way (mainly finding enough work), but also very rewarding.

Thank you.

I know it will be a slow build but am determined to keep myself busy and try all manner of things I would never have considered before.
Login to get fewer ads

Improving My Mental Health on 09:37 - Feb 21 with 4421 viewsSikamikanico

Improving My Mental Health on 09:08 - Feb 21 by usm

Best of luck, fella.

I am no expert, but it sounds like you are going down the right path(s). Keep talking and dont bottle it up.

Thank you
Improving My Mental Health on 09:38 - Feb 21 with 4414 viewsSikamikanico

Improving My Mental Health on 09:10 - Feb 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do gardening.....conservation voluntary work....basically anything to be out in nature would be my recommendation. Good luck.

Thank you.

We have a garden I have been too busy with work to even try and do anything with. I fully intend to try my hand.
Improving My Mental Health on 09:38 - Feb 21 with 4408 viewsPecker

Very proud of you to admit you are struggling. This can be the hardest thing to admit to yourself and those close to you. Only you know how you are feeling and it can sometimes be difficult for others to understand. We all have bad days and all get fed up from time to time and people can sometimes think that that is all it is. Mental Health is a very serious illness and needs to be treated as so. You need to tell those close to you exactly how you are feeling and do not be embarrassed by it. Things can sound petty when we say them outload, but it is all these petty things that mount up and can cause real distress to you. Do not be to proud to tell people you know and trust how you are feeling. I wish you all the best in beating your illness and if you ever need an independent person to talk to about anything, then please PM me and I will do all that I can to help. I have experienced this through family and friends, so know a little about what you are going through. You have done the most difficult bit by admitting you have a problem, so hopefully from now on things will get easier for you and those you love. Take care my friend and if there is anything I can do, please just ask. Best wishes.
Improving My Mental Health on 09:39 - Feb 21 with 4403 viewshampstead_blue

Improving My Mental Health on 09:10 - Feb 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

I agree with this.

Outdoors work, even walking, a little jog maybe. Grow veg. Start a compost bin, wormery, stuff.
Allotment.

You'd be surprised what this can do. Also get involved with outside groups.

Go well and there are always friendly peeps here.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Improving My Mental Health on 09:41 - Feb 21 with 4403 viewsSikamikanico

Improving My Mental Health on 09:38 - Feb 21 by Pecker

Very proud of you to admit you are struggling. This can be the hardest thing to admit to yourself and those close to you. Only you know how you are feeling and it can sometimes be difficult for others to understand. We all have bad days and all get fed up from time to time and people can sometimes think that that is all it is. Mental Health is a very serious illness and needs to be treated as so. You need to tell those close to you exactly how you are feeling and do not be embarrassed by it. Things can sound petty when we say them outload, but it is all these petty things that mount up and can cause real distress to you. Do not be to proud to tell people you know and trust how you are feeling. I wish you all the best in beating your illness and if you ever need an independent person to talk to about anything, then please PM me and I will do all that I can to help. I have experienced this through family and friends, so know a little about what you are going through. You have done the most difficult bit by admitting you have a problem, so hopefully from now on things will get easier for you and those you love. Take care my friend and if there is anything I can do, please just ask. Best wishes.

Thank you.

The hardest step was telling my wife how I was feeling. I now make a point of explaining how I am feeling rather than just saying I can't be bothered.
Improving My Mental Health on 09:41 - Feb 21 with 4394 viewsSwailsey

Stay strong my dude. This place has been wonderful for MH issues in the past.

I've met lots of great people from here who have helped and offered assurances when needed.

We used to have a wonderful man on here (Oz - RIP my friend) who helped so many, but since his passing people have picked up the mantle as much as they can.

There will always be people here who will listen, care, or post mindless sh*t to take your mind off things.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Improving My Mental Health on 10:11 - Feb 21 with 4330 viewsUB9Blue

Improving My Mental Health on 09:37 - Feb 21 by Sikamikanico

Thank you.

I know it will be a slow build but am determined to keep myself busy and try all manner of things I would never have considered before.

A brave decision regarding work but as the Brand New Heavies once sang...

"Sometimes you gotta do right to be happy
One time you gotta believe in what you feel inside
Sometimes you gotta do right to find happiness...."

Good luck moving forward, it sounds like you have a good family around you. I am sure that all TWTD'ers would support you on this.
Improving My Mental Health on 10:48 - Feb 21 with 4283 viewsHarry_Palmer

A very brave post. Well done for taking big steps to change your life and get to the root cause of your depression, not an easy thing to do at all.

I don't know if you have ever come across Dr Rangan Chatterjee? He does an excellent podcast series covering many areas of health & wellbeing and beyond. I have found them to be really interesting and often quite inspiring. The two I have linked below may be of interest to you and you could find them helpful. Good luck with your recovery.

https://drchatterjee.com/is-everything-you-know-about-depression-wrong-with-joha

https://drchatterjee.com/how-exercise-changes-your-brain-and-reduces-your-risk-o
Improving My Mental Health on 16:48 - Feb 21 with 4173 viewsRomeo4

Strong post.

I have struggled with my MH over the years. In my experience it’s so important to get the right work/life balance for you. That may not be the same balance as those around you or what’s perceived to be the norm in our society. Sounds cheesy I know but be true to yourself and do what’s right for you.

All the best to you.
Improving My Mental Health on 17:01 - Feb 21 with 4151 viewsNewcyBlue

I only make a couple of games a season due to my work and living up in the North East.

Football is an escape. When I do make it down, I normally meet up with some of the TWTD elite, and Hoppy.

We all need our escapisms. I relied on alcohol for far too long. I am slipping into lazy ways at the moment and getting in a bit of a rut.

However you choose to work on your mental health, I wish you luck. I think the best leave I had, I was doing the park run quite regularly, and if I couldn’t do it for some reason I would go volunteer at it.

I highly recommend it. There are many of us who will happily offer an ear on here. Feel free to reach out.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Improving My Mental Health on 17:18 - Feb 21 with 4123 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Improving My Mental Health on 09:11 - Feb 21 by itfcpaul

Hi

I have posted many times on her about Mental Health and the difficulties it brings to life. I would really like to offer some help and advice if you are open to it but not in an open forum as I have been ridiculed before by a minute number of posters on here so won't risk opening up for thst to happen again but if you are interested please check out my relevant postings and then PM me if you want to chat.

Hope you get the help you need whether it's from me or someone else.

Cheers

It is disgraceful if anyone has deliberately ridiculed you when you have opened up about mental health issues.

Unfortunately some people do not understand and others are trolls (whatever that actually means - I think it is just a word used to try to excuse them being disgusting individuals with no empathy).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Improving My Mental Health on 17:36 - Feb 21 with 4101 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I find this can help sometimes too....

....but it sounds like you have successfully started this part!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Improving My Mental Health on 17:58 - Feb 21 with 4071 viewsTerra_Farma

Sikamikanico - I have also declared to the forum about my own mental health issues.

You are certainly not alone. It seems like you have turned a corner which is awesome.

If you would like to talk (anytime) then PM me and I will give you my mobile number.

Be good, keep smiling my friend.
Improving My Mental Health on 18:11 - Feb 21 with 4048 viewsghostofescobar

Good luck Sikamikanico. I've been lucky enough to only have some minor flirtations with mental health problems, but my wife has suffered horribly in the past and unfortunately my 12 year old is currently going through completely debilitating anxiety (he was recently diagnosed as autistic, so the anxiety tends to go hand-in-hand with autism). i used to be a Samaritan and they are a wonderful organisation who don't get enough praise imo. You'll come through it, just remember there's no such as "normal" and take your time. You'll be ok.

GhostOfEscobar

Improving My Mental Health on 07:45 - Feb 22 with 3825 viewsChrisd

All the very best with your future ventures. You’ve got to do what’s best for you and if it’s the work that’s causing a lot of your MH issues then you’ve clearly done the right thing. We’re all a long time working, so doing something you enjoy could be a consideration, especially if money isn’t a concern? I found having that supportive and loving network at home is crucial too and if your partner is fully understanding this helps hugely. Just remember you aren’t alone, there are many that suffer with MH, me included, but it’s always important to have that outlet where you can talk to someone to lift the burden and getting out of the house is essential. I follow Mark Crossley on Twitter (@bignorms), he’s the former Nottingham Forest keeper. He’s regularly filming himself out on his walks around the countryside, overcoming his demons. That’s a good watch, for some light relief. All the best and remember there’s plenty of us around that are here if you need us.

Forgot to add, Matt Haig’s book ‘Reasons to Stay Alive’ is a really good read.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 8:05]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Improving My Mental Health on 08:16 - Feb 22 with 3782 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this and good luck with the changes you are making. Mental wellbeing is such a complex thing, misunderstood by so many.

More than 20 years ago, I was in a (for me) stressful environment and had been for some time. Long hours, long commute, a fair bit of responsibility etc etc. The stress side kind of crept up on me without me noticing it. But er indoors certainly did, but it was only after I’d left that she said ‘I’ve got the real you back’.

I never regretted leaving. Money, getting work was a challenge, but I never worried about it in the way I’d worried about work. It was the best decision I ever made. As I moved on to various jobs, including some with a lot of responsibility, I never forgot the lessons my earlier experience had taught me, not least recognising the signs of stress and to change things/potentially walk away if it gets to much. A bye product was that when I did finish work last year, it was the easiest thing in the world to walk away.

You will find you have far more transferable skills than you think and you will be fine. Try and take in the odd game too. Football is a great escape however pathetic Town are. You are doing the right thing and well done!
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 8:53]
Improving My Mental Health on 08:16 - Feb 22 with 3780 viewsGlasgowBlue

A very brave and moving post. All the best for the future.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024