Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is abusive chanting ok? 12:54 - Feb 21 with 9339 viewsTrequartista

i.e. non-woke standard abuse e.g. "the referee's a w*****", "you fat b*****", "you're not very good".

Please note, i think all the somethingaphobic ones are wrong and should be stamped out immediately, so don't @ me, but wondering why the standard abuse ones are ok? surely they are hurtful too, maybe more if directly personal?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 12:56 - Feb 21 with 4960 viewsDyland

"the referee's a w*****",

Not hurtful or personal.

"you fat b*****",

Lose some weight if you're bothered.

"you're not very good".

lol

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 12:58 - Feb 21 with 4932 viewsLankHenners

I don't know but I think anyone using the word 'woke' should be put in prison.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:03 - Feb 21 with 4892 viewsBlueBadger

Is abusive chanting ok? on 12:58 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

'Woke' is the current buzzword for ignorant tosspots upset about people attempting to offer some basic human decency to anyone a bit 'different'. It's the new 'PC' or 'do-gooder'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:16 - Feb 21 with 4829 viewsLankHenners

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:03 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

'Woke' is the current buzzword for ignorant tosspots upset about people attempting to offer some basic human decency to anyone a bit 'different'. It's the new 'PC' or 'do-gooder'.

It had its use in parts of online discourse but then 'regular' people found out about it and it has the same cringey effect as when an older person uses teenage slang: they don't know what it means and are just saying it because they don't understand the world anymore and are trying to mock people who do.

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:18 - Feb 21 with 4823 viewschicoazul

Abuse, mickey taking etc about things people choose to be - not very good, fat athletes, onanists - seem to me to be ok.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:20 - Feb 21 with 4806 viewsBlueBadger

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:18 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

Abuse, mickey taking etc about things people choose to be - not very good, fat athletes, onanists - seem to me to be ok.

Then why do you keep blocking people who call you thick?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:21 - Feb 21 with 4797 viewschicoazul

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:20 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

Then why do you keep blocking people who call you thick?

I havent blocked anyone who called me thick. I blocked you because youre boring for instance, or maybe it was because you pasted a blocked person's response to one of my comments.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:29 - Feb 21 with 4766 viewsTrequartista

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:18 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

They were just examples off the top of my head, for the first one, i don't think the person shouting the abuse is literally referring to the act

let's change it to one example - the 'c' word on it's own - is that ok?

Login to get fewer ads

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:31 - Feb 21 with 4761 viewsBigManBlue

Like everything, it's contextual. Usually yes. Probably not if you're threatening bodily harm, screaming it two inches from the blokes face, or if there's a school party in front of you.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:32 - Feb 21 with 4752 viewschicoazul

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:29 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

They were just examples off the top of my head, for the first one, i don't think the person shouting the abuse is literally referring to the act

I dont think it is, no. But that's just me.

I am making a serious point though. To abuse people over things they have no choice over for e.g. their colour or sexuality is not the same as abusing people over their choice of for e.g. clothes. That should be the guiding principle.

(This of course does not and can never apply to anything to do with Norwich City FC or its' supporters)

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:34 - Feb 21 with 4741 viewsjayessess

I think a lot of this is complicated by the specific social norms and context of league football. Would I call a referee a w*****r if they were reffing a Sunday League game for £20? No, the rewards are meagre for them and the sparse crowd makes it personal. Would I sing it at a professional match official, who is doing something they love and can probably disassociate themselves from being a pantomime villain for 20,000 idiots for an afternoon? Absolutely.

I guess my standard is "does this fundamentally attack anyone's humanity"? Racist and homophobic abuse absolutely does that, not just for the player concerned but also for anyone watching. It makes society a worse place. Does "fat b*****d" do that? Maybe a tiny bit? But given that 99% of footballer supporters are in worse shape than any professional footballer, I can't imagine it makes much of a mark on players or supporters. It's more absurd than anything.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:35 - Feb 21 with 4733 viewsfooters

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:29 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

The c word can be a beautiful thing to say in the right context and with imagination. But more often than not, people just shout it repeatedly so it loses its magical effect.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:40 - Feb 21 with 4689 viewsBigManBlue

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:35 - Feb 21 by footers

The c word can be a beautiful thing to say in the right context and with imagination. But more often than not, people just shout it repeatedly so it loses its magical effect.

Recently moved to Poland, they have basically one swear word for pretty much every situation.

Don't get me wrong it's a great and very versatile word, but I do miss the variety of our majestic vernacular...

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:41 - Feb 21 with 4676 viewsTrequartista

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:32 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

I am making a serious point though. To abuse people over things they have no choice over for e.g. their colour or sexuality is not the same as abusing people over their choice of for e.g. clothes. That should be the guiding principle.

(This of course does not and can never apply to anything to do with Norwich City FC or its' supporters)

I am in absolute agreement with you on that point, and i could put this better, "something you can't help".

So where do you stand on "ginger c", "lanky c", "ugly c" etc etc ?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:41 - Feb 21 with 4669 viewsfooters

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:40 - Feb 21 by BigManBlue

Recently moved to Poland, they have basically one swear word for pretty much every situation.

Don't get me wrong it's a great and very versatile word, but I do miss the variety of our majestic vernacular...

Kurva is also a beautiful word, but you're absolutely right that nowhere does the old swearing better than blighty. Now if you'd stuck that on the side of a bus you'd have one committed Brexiteer over here :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:44 - Feb 21 with 4634 viewsBigManBlue

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:41 - Feb 21 by footers

Kurva is also a beautiful word, but you're absolutely right that nowhere does the old swearing better than blighty. Now if you'd stuck that on the side of a bus you'd have one committed Brexiteer over here :)

I didn't quite believe that people actually use it as a pause in speech like we do "um". Either that or I really upset the person selling me a coffee...

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:45 - Feb 21 with 4628 viewsFtnfwest

Large scale chanting of 'scum...'seems to be acceptable though
Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:52 - Feb 21 with 4590 viewsTrequartista

Is abusive chanting ok? on 12:58 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

See i'm a reasonable chap and i'm not going to take offence at that, because I'm not naive, there are many people latching on to the word, and using it as a perjorative, because they use racist, homophobic etc etc language themselves. I get that.

But ... but there is a phonemenon that has a word to describe it, extreme-pc, whatever you will, adopted by the far left, so i'm afraid you'll have to pardon me while i continue to use it.

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:54 - Feb 21 with 4581 viewsBrianTablet

I shudder to think about how I once laughed at Gary Megson's own goal, Bryan Gunn's airkick and Graham Harbey.

I humbly apologise to all concerned.

[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 13:55]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:55 - Feb 21 with 4569 viewsjayessess

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:41 - Feb 21 by footers

I used to teach English in Spain and lots of Spanish people found the range of swearing in English similarly restrictive, so maybe it's just a nuance you get over time as you learn a language?

(Spanish has a lot of very peculiar, religiously-inflected swears, like "me cago en la hostia" - I s*** on the communion wafer - which English can't really replicate)

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 4521 viewsLankHenners

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:52 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

See i'm a reasonable chap and i'm not going to take offence at that, because I'm not naive, there are many people latching on to the word, and using it as a perjorative, because they use racist, homophobic etc etc language themselves. I get that.

But ... but there is a phonemenon that has a word to describe it, extreme-pc, whatever you will, adopted by the far left, so i'm afraid you'll have to pardon me while i continue to use it.

I think as a general rule people shouldn't use words that they don't really understand.

No pardons. You'll be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:12 - Feb 21 with 4494 viewsjayessess

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:07 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

I think as a general rule people shouldn't use words that they don't really understand.

Afaik the only group that consistently use it as a self-description are young African-Americans, to describe the process of coming to understand their own lack of power in US society. Most of the rest of the time, it's being used to sarcastically describe the imagined opinions of others.

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:18 - Feb 21 with 4477 viewsTrequartista

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:07 - Feb 21 by LankHenners

I'm pretty sure I know what I see, it is logical to conclude that those who are exponents of it are the ones that cannot, or will not, see it.

Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:21 - Feb 21 with 4457 viewsjontysnut

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:32 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

Yes - if you abuse someone over their physical, racial, sexual characteristics you've already lost the argument. I watch a lot of non-league football from where the top officials have mostly come. You're within touching of distance a lino and some of the most devastating, and funniest heckling has been about their ability rather than their size or shape. I think by the time they get to the top level it's all water off a duck's back.
Is abusive chanting ok? on 14:26 - Feb 21 with 4443 viewsvapour_trail

Is abusive chanting ok? on 13:41 - Feb 21 by Trequartista

I am in absolute agreement with you on that point, and i could put this better, "something you can't help".

So where do you stand on "ginger c", "lanky c", "ugly c" etc etc ?

nothing wrong with the territory but not hugely creative.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024