Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Perspective 01:34 - Feb 23 with 6212 viewsTangledupin_Blue

This morning my dad, aged 95, was taken ill. He has had a heart attack, he has pneumonia and is delirious with a UTI. The delirium has him thinking that we, the hospital staff and I, are all against him because we can't help him to his feet. He thinks that if only we would do that, he could walk out of here (Ipswich Hospital) and go home. He keeps trying to remove the various tubes; the oxygen mask, the catheter, the intravenous drip thing. At one point I took my eye off him and when I looked again he had the drip between his teeth trying to rip it from his wrist. The consultant thinks it unlikely that he will recover.

I have been sat beside him for most of the last 15 hours. At one point I popped home (I live a few minutes walk from the hospital) to find that the freezer has packed up and the food within is now soggy rather than frozen solid. It will just have to stay like that for now.

At some point a football match was lost.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Perspective on 01:53 - Feb 23 with 4501 viewsJ2BLUE

Really sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers. All the best.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Perspective on 01:56 - Feb 23 with 4499 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 01:53 - Feb 23 by J2BLUE

Really sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers. All the best.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Perspective on 02:14 - Feb 23 with 4488 viewsjeera

Sorry to hear about your dad mate - that's really hard to deal with.

Hopefully once the UTI has cleared you'll be able to reason a bit more with him.

Those infections do funny things to the mind as it is, without having to cope at that age.

* The other stuff; cook it up and refreeze if able, or if not your home insurance should cover it. Take photos if you're going to claim.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Perspective on 02:35 - Feb 23 with 4471 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 02:14 - Feb 23 by jeera

Sorry to hear about your dad mate - that's really hard to deal with.

Hopefully once the UTI has cleared you'll be able to reason a bit more with him.

Those infections do funny things to the mind as it is, without having to cope at that age.

* The other stuff; cook it up and refreeze if able, or if not your home insurance should cover it. Take photos if you're going to claim.

Thanks Jeera. Yes, he had a UTI some time ago and became convinced that everyone was stealing things from him. The reality was that, with his failing memory, he was forgetting where he'd left them. So, thinking he was being robbed, he started hiding things away and couldn't remember that he had hidden them. So more accusations.

Just now I couldn't give a stuff about the freezer but thanks anyway.

Perspective on 02:45 - Feb 23 with 4448 viewsBLUEBEAT

Nothing more important than family

Football is inconsequential x

Poll: W or W

Perspective on 02:45 - Feb 23 with 4449 viewsjeera

Perspective on 02:35 - Feb 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

Thanks Jeera. Yes, he had a UTI some time ago and became convinced that everyone was stealing things from him. The reality was that, with his failing memory, he was forgetting where he'd left them. So, thinking he was being robbed, he started hiding things away and couldn't remember that he had hidden them. So more accusations.

Just now I couldn't give a stuff about the freezer but thanks anyway.

Mate, when I was driving [taxi] I stopped, picked up, and returned more than a couple of people I recognised as customer's family members wandering about on the streets.

2 that spring to mind both had water infections.

Hallucinations and all sorts of delusions.

Catch them on another day and right as rain; you wouldn't think they were the same person.

*I know. Just saying like.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Perspective on 02:49 - Feb 23 with 4440 viewsStNeotsBlue

Hope things take a turn for the better for you and yours.
Perspective on 03:49 - Feb 23 with 4413 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 02:49 - Feb 23 by StNeotsBlue

Hope things take a turn for the better for you and yours.

Thank you.

Login to get fewer ads

Perspective on 05:15 - Feb 23 with 4336 viewsRyorry

Awful, so sorry to hear this.

Had been thinking along similar lines re perspective & unimportance of football earlier, when it was on news that a whole family had been wiped out in a RTA in Scotland - parents & their 2 young daughters. How the remaining extended family can even begin to cope with that I cannot imagine.

Also people whose homes, businesses & lives have been wrecked for 3rd time in 7 years from flooding, incl elderly & disabled people.

Properly horrible, tragic stuff going on out there. World can be a sh1t place.

Feel for you, Tangled.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Perspective on 05:32 - Feb 23 with 4326 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 05:15 - Feb 23 by Ryorry

Awful, so sorry to hear this.

Had been thinking along similar lines re perspective & unimportance of football earlier, when it was on news that a whole family had been wiped out in a RTA in Scotland - parents & their 2 young daughters. How the remaining extended family can even begin to cope with that I cannot imagine.

Also people whose homes, businesses & lives have been wrecked for 3rd time in 7 years from flooding, incl elderly & disabled people.

Properly horrible, tragic stuff going on out there. World can be a sh1t place.

Feel for you, Tangled.

Thanks, Ryorry. Yep. Football can be a lot of fun (or otherwise) but it is not important in the grand acheme.

Perspective on 06:37 - Feb 23 with 4260 viewsWeWereZombies

Hope that your Dad is holding up, sounds like he is being very well looked after - both by the hospital staff and his son.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Perspective on 07:17 - Feb 23 with 4211 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 06:37 - Feb 23 by WeWereZombies

Hope that your Dad is holding up, sounds like he is being very well looked after - both by the hospital staff and his son.

Thank you, WWZ.

Yes, the care couldn't have been better. But the prognosis is pretty grim. Treatments are not working. At about 3am the emphasis switched to end-of-life care.

Perspective on 07:21 - Feb 23 with 4196 viewsOldsmoker

Your post was the first I read this morning.
You're right, Towens problems seem trivial in comparison.

Your dad is 95 and living at home? It is more than likely that that is how your later years will pan out. I'm not a fan of nursing homes and your dad has had a better life for not being in one.

I'm sure that all TWTD posters will join in wishing him a full recovery.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Perspective on 07:26 - Feb 23 with 4187 viewsNewcyBlue

All the very best to you and yours mate.

I

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Perspective on 07:42 - Feb 23 with 4148 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 07:21 - Feb 23 by Oldsmoker

Your post was the first I read this morning.
You're right, Towens problems seem trivial in comparison.

Your dad is 95 and living at home? It is more than likely that that is how your later years will pan out. I'm not a fan of nursing homes and your dad has had a better life for not being in one.

I'm sure that all TWTD posters will join in wishing him a full recovery.

He has always had a vey independent spirit. Self sufficient. He was still driving less than a year ago. He would hate a nursing home. He hates hospital, too, and he wants me to take him home but I can't.

Perspective on 07:42 - Feb 23 with 4140 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 07:26 - Feb 23 by NewcyBlue

All the very best to you and yours mate.

I

Thanks, pal.

Perspective on 08:11 - Feb 23 with 4068 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds like a tough situation, hope it all works out as well as cen be expected for you all.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Perspective on 08:15 - Feb 23 with 4049 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 08:11 - Feb 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sounds like a tough situation, hope it all works out as well as cen be expected for you all.

Thanks, MM.

It is a situation that most of us know we are likely to face at some time. But we are seldom ready for it. We are still shocked.

Perspective on 08:16 - Feb 23 with 4049 viewsBloomBlue

People take football far too seriously, it's not a matter of life or death.
Hope your Dad proves the consultant wrong and recovers.

Make sure you step away from the bed occasionally, I've sat beside too many in that situation including parents and children and from my experience stepping away occasionally helps you regain a bit of strength.
Perspective on 08:22 - Feb 23 with 4036 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 08:16 - Feb 23 by BloomBlue

People take football far too seriously, it's not a matter of life or death.
Hope your Dad proves the consultant wrong and recovers.

Make sure you step away from the bed occasionally, I've sat beside too many in that situation including parents and children and from my experience stepping away occasionally helps you regain a bit of strength.

Thank you BB. My sisters are here now. Just went for a 15min stroll. Nice to feel the rain!

Perspective on 08:29 - Feb 23 with 4003 viewsCoastalblue

Really sorry to read this, all the best and I hope that however things pan out life finds an upward trajectory for you.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Perspective on 08:31 - Feb 23 with 3997 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 08:29 - Feb 23 by Coastalblue

Really sorry to read this, all the best and I hope that however things pan out life finds an upward trajectory for you.

Thanks, CB.

Perspective on 08:37 - Feb 23 with 3975 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very sorry to read this mate. My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Perspective on 08:38 - Feb 23 with 3962 viewsMullet

All the best, I hope these next few weeks are as easy on you and yours as they can be.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Perspective on 08:40 - Feb 23 with 3962 viewsPJH

Sorry to hear about your dad and your other problems.

You are right, there are worse things than losing a football match.

Best wishes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024