Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just watched the highlights 09:31 - Feb 23 with 8369 viewsstewartm

And the Ipswich defenders are absolutely awful, watching Woolfy come across to mark Oxford player attacking and literally leave two Oxford players unmarked standing 2 yards off our goal. Sod being a goal keeper with that defence in front of you the marking and Ipswich defence player movement/cover was Sunday pub league! Loads of posts concerning lack of goals but the defending for the Oxford goal was very bad. Chambers is total garbage and surely playing three at the back Woolfy should be central!!
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:34]

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Just watched the highlights on 09:39 - Feb 23 with 5500 viewscbower

That was poor from Wolf. Throughout the team I see no evidence of genuine coaching. Other teams in the top half look well drilled, play to a shape and pattern. We are the definition of headless chickens, especially when we go behind. I'd love to know how much proper coaching takes place during the week at Playford Road.

bluescouser

Just watched the highlights on 09:40 - Feb 23 with 5491 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden did the same against Burton and again it resulted in a goal. He seems to have no idea where to position himself in a three and it’s costing us.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:44]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Just watched the highlights on 09:42 - Feb 23 with 5480 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 09:39 - Feb 23 by cbower

That was poor from Wolf. Throughout the team I see no evidence of genuine coaching. Other teams in the top half look well drilled, play to a shape and pattern. We are the definition of headless chickens, especially when we go behind. I'd love to know how much proper coaching takes place during the week at Playford Road.

Not so sure to blame Woolf, Chambers was positioned wrong to start and also he should have seen the positioning literally before he did see the player in space (Chambers then made a dash as oxford player was running off to celebrate). Anyone can see that if three at the back was needed (debatable) Woolfy is a central player with Earl left and me personally Wilson right. Chambers is not 'at the races'
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:49]

Just watched the highlights (n/t) on 09:44 - Feb 23 with 5467 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 09:39 - Feb 23 by cbower

Edwards as wingback is eye watering aswell...
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:48]

Just watched the highlights on 09:49 - Feb 23 with 5412 viewsitfcjoe

Just watched the highlights on 09:42 - Feb 23 by stewartm

Not so sure to blame Woolf, Chambers was positioned wrong to start and also he should have seen the positioning literally before he did see the player in space (Chambers then made a dash as oxford player was running off to celebrate). Anyone can see that if three at the back was needed (debatable) Woolfy is a central player with Earl left and me personally Wilson right. Chambers is not 'at the races'
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:49]

Wilson on the right of a back 3?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just watched the highlights on 09:51 - Feb 23 with 5390 viewsHerbivore

Woolfy went missing, that goal was largely on him. His positional play is not the best but then he's played both sides in a central two and right across a three at the back so it's not all that surprising that he's getting his positioning wrong at times. Moving him into the centre is a bad idea as is bringing in Wilson for Chambers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just watched the highlights (n/t) on 09:51 - Feb 23 with 5393 viewspointofblue

Just watched the highlights (n/t) on 09:44 - Feb 23 by stewartm

Edwards as wingback is eye watering aswell...
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:48]

Edwards had a decent game against Burton; he was horrific yesterday.

Just watched the highlights on 09:54 - Feb 23 with 5365 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 09:49 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

He's clearly one of the anti Chambers brigade.

Login to get fewer ads

Just watched the highlights on 10:09 - Feb 23 with 5291 viewsclive_baker

We’re horrendous defensively. Constantly losing our shape and nowhere near good enough in possession of the ball either. Chambers is nothing more than an average League 1 centre half now, and not getting any younger. From what I’ve seen of Earl he is solid enough but not the most comfortable in possession. I don’t think he or Wilson would get in any of the sides around and above us. We’ve got a league 1 left winger who can’t really defend playing at right wing back. It’s a complete mess.

Personally I would be tempted to play Skuse in the centre of a back 3 and get defenders around him to do the defending. We absolutely need KVY back ASAP.

We really lack b0llocks up front too, we have nobody leading from the front at all. We lack leadership all over the pitch in fact, we’re so quiet and not in the slightest bit ‘street wise’. People slate the likes of Gillingham and Wycombe, and yes they don’t play the nicest football but they’re both over indexing vs where they should be on paper, because they’ve got a style and identity and bit of substance about them. Nobody in our squad seems capable or willing to take any initiative on the pitch. We’ve got a squad of followers. There’s been a bit of talk about Magilton back as manager from some on here, I’m not sure about that but what I would give for a Magilton in the middle of the park alongside Downes.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Just watched the highlights on 10:38 - Feb 23 with 5171 viewsPilgrimblue

Just watched the highlights on 10:09 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

We’re horrendous defensively. Constantly losing our shape and nowhere near good enough in possession of the ball either. Chambers is nothing more than an average League 1 centre half now, and not getting any younger. From what I’ve seen of Earl he is solid enough but not the most comfortable in possession. I don’t think he or Wilson would get in any of the sides around and above us. We’ve got a league 1 left winger who can’t really defend playing at right wing back. It’s a complete mess.

Personally I would be tempted to play Skuse in the centre of a back 3 and get defenders around him to do the defending. We absolutely need KVY back ASAP.

We really lack b0llocks up front too, we have nobody leading from the front at all. We lack leadership all over the pitch in fact, we’re so quiet and not in the slightest bit ‘street wise’. People slate the likes of Gillingham and Wycombe, and yes they don’t play the nicest football but they’re both over indexing vs where they should be on paper, because they’ve got a style and identity and bit of substance about them. Nobody in our squad seems capable or willing to take any initiative on the pitch. We’ve got a squad of followers. There’s been a bit of talk about Magilton back as manager from some on here, I’m not sure about that but what I would give for a Magilton in the middle of the park alongside Downes.

Maybe CB but the trouble is up field. Nolan was pants either passing back or sideways so really no better than Skuse! As for Keane he’s just not good enough as a striker which leaves Jackson to do his best operating out wide and delivering sometimes decent crosses but to no one!

I didn’t think it was a red card and was surprised that ref allowed Oxford players to overplay the incident. So we’ll see if it’s turned over. If not it’s time for Sears plus Bishop to get attack going with Morris on bench.
Just watched the highlights on 10:40 - Feb 23 with 5163 viewsitfcjoe

Just watched the highlights on 10:09 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

We’ve conceded 32 in 33 games, which includes a 5 and a 4 so just 23 in the other 31 games.

As much as we do concede bad goals at times, which isn’t unexpected when we’ve chopped and changed too much, the problem is CLEARLY at the other end of the pitch.

Just watched the highlights on 10:42 - Feb 23 with 5151 viewsPecker

"HIGHLIGHTS"? What were they then? The only highlights I had yesterday were before 3pm and when I went to bed.
Just watched the highlights on 10:44 - Feb 23 with 5144 viewsclive_baker

Just watched the highlights on 10:38 - Feb 23 by Pilgrimblue

Maybe CB but the trouble is up field. Nolan was pants either passing back or sideways so really no better than Skuse! As for Keane he’s just not good enough as a striker which leaves Jackson to do his best operating out wide and delivering sometimes decent crosses but to no one!

I didn’t think it was a red card and was surprised that ref allowed Oxford players to overplay the incident. So we’ll see if it’s turned over. If not it’s time for Sears plus Bishop to get attack going with Morris on bench.

It’s not good timing, but on the flip side if we’re going to see Sears get back to anything like his pre injury self then we’ll never know if that’s going to happen unless he has a run in the side, not coming on in injury time. It might prove a blessing to have that enforced upon us. I don’t think we played too badly for an hour yesterday, we need to take our chances though so why not give Freddie a chance IMO. There’s nothing to lose now, we’ve got 11 games left and need to win 7 or 8 of them I would guess to get into the playoffs. Keane & Sears up front for Blackpool, Fleetwood & Coventry and hope something clicks between them.

Just watched the highlights on 10:48 - Feb 23 with 5118 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just watched the highlights on 09:40 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

Woolfenden did the same against Burton and again it resulted in a goal. He seems to have no idea where to position himself in a three and it’s costing us.

I’m sure there’s a player in there, but our lack of organisation is making all of our players look poor and especially in defence. That’s on the coaching staff/manager.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just watched the highlights on 10:53 - Feb 23 with 5094 viewsclive_baker

Just watched the highlights on 10:40 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

We’ve conceded 32 in 33 games, which includes a 5 and a 4 so just 23 in the other 31 games.

As much as we do concede bad goals at times, which isn’t unexpected when we’ve chopped and changed too much, the problem is CLEARLY at the other end of the pitch.

The 2 are linked though. We’re so poor defensively that we’re left with little choice than to play a back 3 with wingbacks. The last time we played a back 4 we shipped 5 to a very average Lincoln side who looked like scoring every time they came forward, and Edwards was absolutely destroyed at right back. I’m not convinced by Garbutt defensively either. Ideally if we had a pair of out and out full backs we could line up with 4 at the back, but we don’t. It’s an issue that hasn’t been addressed for years. How much does our narrow midfield really create for the front 2? They’re forever playing with their backs to goal and if I were Jackson I would be so frustrated. Who’s getting to the bye line and creating for him? He’s having to do that himself because we lack width in the advanced areas. Same for Norwood, people talk about his confidence and not putting his chances away but it’s not like he’s had 5 on a plate week in week out. We create next to nothing. It’s a shape issue but driven by personnel for me. Partly bad luck with injuries to Lancaster & Rowe, just about our only 2 natural wide options.

Just watched the highlights on 10:59 - Feb 23 with 5046 viewsFixed_It

Just watched the highlights on 10:40 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

Defensively we are poor I think. Love Chambo but he is 35 now. I very much doubt Wolfie will be here next season. Garbutt won't. I really hope work is being done behind the scenes looking foe replacements.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just watched the highlights on 11:02 - Feb 23 with 5019 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 10:53 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

The 2 are linked though. We’re so poor defensively that we’re left with little choice than to play a back 3 with wingbacks. The last time we played a back 4 we shipped 5 to a very average Lincoln side who looked like scoring every time they came forward, and Edwards was absolutely destroyed at right back. I’m not convinced by Garbutt defensively either. Ideally if we had a pair of out and out full backs we could line up with 4 at the back, but we don’t. It’s an issue that hasn’t been addressed for years. How much does our narrow midfield really create for the front 2? They’re forever playing with their backs to goal and if I were Jackson I would be so frustrated. Who’s getting to the bye line and creating for him? He’s having to do that himself because we lack width in the advanced areas. Same for Norwood, people talk about his confidence and not putting his chances away but it’s not like he’s had 5 on a plate week in week out. We create next to nothing. It’s a shape issue but driven by personnel for me. Partly bad luck with injuries to Lancaster & Rowe, just about our only 2 natural wide options.

We played four at the back early in the season and kept about 5 clean sheets in a row at one point. We're perfectly decent with a back 4 if we have a clear shape and system further up the pitch. Things started to go wrong when we started pissing about with the shape constantly.

Just watched the highlights on 11:10 - Feb 23 with 4981 viewstractorboy1978

Just watched the highlights on 11:02 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

We played four at the back early in the season and kept about 5 clean sheets in a row at one point. We're perfectly decent with a back 4 if we have a clear shape and system further up the pitch. Things started to go wrong when we started pissing about with the shape constantly.

We looked better when we shifted to 4-4-2 last week against Burton as well.
Just watched the highlights on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 4966 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 11:10 - Feb 23 by tractorboy1978

We looked better when we shifted to 4-4-2 last week against Burton as well.

For me the system we've landed on at the end of Lambingo isn't the one that suits us best, but there we go.

Just watched the highlights on 11:17 - Feb 23 with 4960 viewsleftback

We were pretty solid all game, but as easy on the eye as Wolfie he still has a lot to learn defensively, unfortunately his errors are costing goals at the moment
Just watched the highlights on 11:19 - Feb 23 with 4948 viewsitfcjoe

Just watched the highlights on 11:17 - Feb 23 by leftback

We were pretty solid all game, but as easy on the eye as Wolfie he still has a lot to learn defensively, unfortunately his errors are costing goals at the moment

I thought both him and Earl were too easily dragged out of position when they moved it quickly, Chambers was mostly fine but got beaten badly by Taylor in second half and lucky not to cost us a goal

Just watched the highlights on 11:37 - Feb 23 with 4871 viewsPinewoodblue

Just watched the highlights on 09:40 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

Perhaps he doesn’t have enough faith in the defenders next to him and feels the need to cover.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Just watched the highlights on 11:45 - Feb 23 with 4853 viewspointofblue

Just watched the highlights on 11:14 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

For me the system we've landed on at the end of Lambingo isn't the one that suits us best, but there we go.

I agree. I still think 4-4-2 is probably the best option available to us at the moment. The only question is who do we play in the middle - do we go safety first as we did at the start of the season when we had little option?

Holy
Donacien - Woolfenden - Chambers - Earl
Edwards - Skuse - Downes - Garbutt
Keane - Sears

I am concerned about Earl’s ability to support Garbutt on the left; we might be better with Kenlock there like at the start of the season. 3-5-2 might work better once Vincent-Young returns.

Just watched the highlights on 11:57 - Feb 23 with 4811 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 09:49 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

gotta be better than Chambers? he is versatile

Just watched the highlights on 11:58 - Feb 23 with 4804 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 11:37 - Feb 23 by Pinewoodblue

Perhaps he doesn’t have enough faith in the defenders next to him and feels the need to cover.

But he doesn't cover, he gets sucked across into areas where he can't make a difference defensively.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024