Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad for next season 10:40 - Feb 23 with 1976 viewspointofblue

As it seems likely that we will not be going up, what’s the starting point for our squad for next season? Who will be here once we lose those other clubs want?

Goalkeepers: Holy
Defenders: Chambers, Donacien, Kenlock, Nsiala, Vincent-Young, Wilson
Midfielders: Bishop, Dobra, Edwards, Huws, Judge, Nolan, Nydam, Rowe, Skuse
Strikers: Jackson, Lankester, Norwood, Sears

Obviously there are the likes of El Mizouni and Morris who don’t have squad numbers this year. Downes, Dozzell and Woolfenden will all be sold whilst I wouldn’t be surprised to see Keane released at the end of his contract. Huws and Judge have a year left but doubt there will be many suitors. The past injuries to KVY and Bishop might hold them here a further season. Garbutt might join on a free and we could get Earl back?

Even before the departures we needed a rebuild, it looks even starker now. Is the hope some of the young players will come in to compliment the seniors?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Squad for next season on 10:49 - Feb 23 with 1936 viewsPecker

Take Chambers, Kenlock, Nolan, Bishop, Edwards, Skuse and Sears out of that squad for starters.
Squad for next season on 10:58 - Feb 23 with 1919 viewspointofblue

Squad for next season on 10:49 - Feb 23 by Pecker

Take Chambers, Kenlock, Nolan, Bishop, Edwards, Skuse and Sears out of that squad for starters.

I think Chambers and Skuse will have at least one more season at this level, maybe as player coaches.
Kenlock is fine as back up at this level.
Nolan’s contract expires in 2021 and I can’t see anyone coming in for him. Bishop’s in the same boat and his injury record will put clubs off IMO; same with Sears.
Edwards is an interesting one as his contract is up this year but we have an option for a further year on it - I think we’ll take it.

Squad for next season on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 1903 viewsPecker

Squad for next season on 10:58 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

I think Chambers and Skuse will have at least one more season at this level, maybe as player coaches.
Nolan’s contract expires in 2021 and I can’t see anyone coming in for him. Bishop’s in the same boat and his injury record will put clubs off IMO; same with Sears.
Edwards is an interesting one as his contract is up this year but we have an option for a further year on it - I think we’ll take it.

Chambers and Skuse as coaches? Coaching what? How to get relegated and hide behind the fact that some fans see them as ours? Bounce them out of the club as soon as possible. This losing mentality has to be got rid of and those two have lost a hell of a lot more than they have won. We need fresh blood. Fresh ideas. Coaches who know how to coach.
Squad for next season on 11:12 - Feb 23 with 1887 viewspointofblue

Squad for next season on 11:04 - Feb 23 by Pecker

Chambers and Skuse as coaches? Coaching what? How to get relegated and hide behind the fact that some fans see them as ours? Bounce them out of the club as soon as possible. This losing mentality has to be got rid of and those two have lost a hell of a lot more than they have won. We need fresh blood. Fresh ideas. Coaches who know how to coach.

Chambers is a reasonable centre back at this level and Skuse a decent defensive midfielder. Our issues aren’t at the back - as itfc_joe pointed out we’ve only conceded 33 goals in 32 games this season and nine of them came in two matches.

Squad for next season on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 1873 viewsSwansea_Blue

Squad for next season on 11:12 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

Chambers is a reasonable centre back at this level and Skuse a decent defensive midfielder. Our issues aren’t at the back - as itfc_joe pointed out we’ve only conceded 33 goals in 32 games this season and nine of them came in two matches.

The issues are at the back when the defenders constantly give the ball away. Very hard to build meaningful attacks off the back of aimless punts. Granted, that’s only a small part of a larger issue.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Squad for next season on 11:17 - Feb 23 with 1861 viewstractordownsouth

There's no way Garbutt will stay if we don't go up

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Squad for next season on 11:33 - Feb 23 with 1835 viewsTractorWood

Squad for next season on 11:17 - Feb 23 by tractordownsouth

There's no way Garbutt will stay if we don't go up

He wouldn't look out of place in the championship.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Squad for next season on 11:35 - Feb 23 with 1826 viewsPinewoodblue

Squad for next season on 10:58 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

Chamber and Skuse you may be right but promotion might not be in their best interests

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Squad for next season on 12:02 - Feb 23 with 1753 viewspointofblue

Squad for next season on 11:35 - Feb 23 by Pinewoodblue

Chamber and Skuse you may be right but promotion might not be in their best interests

I can’t see us going up.

Squad for next season on 12:13 - Feb 23 with 1742 viewsIpswichKnight

El-Mizouni has a squad number he played and salvaged the draw at Peterborough! If we say go 4-3-3 next season and a midfield and strike force of Skuse Huws El Mizouni, Lankester Norwood and Dobra I might be a bit happier.
Squad for next season on 12:19 - Feb 23 with 1720 viewsPecker

Squad for next season on 11:12 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

You want a couple of loser to coach our next generation? Just about sums this club up at the moment. If they are the Captains, then will already be having an influence on the training grounds. Coaches, give me a break.
Squad for next season on 13:37 - Feb 23 with 1594 viewsr2d2

We need a new manager before any of that.
Squad for next season on 15:24 - Feb 23 with 1493 viewsNo9

Time to move forward - just to repeat, anyone over 28, Bye Byeto be a permanency
Squad for next season on 15:41 - Feb 23 with 1470 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we are talking about building something next season we need to trim things down and decide who we are building around.

Holy has to be first choice keeper and we would need a proper back up unless one of the younger ones can step up.
Defence we need to ease Chambers out (back up only) and build around Woolfenden, KVY and Garbutt (if we can sign him).
Midfield we need to find a partnership that works with Downes and decide who else is first choice Dozzell/Huws/Bishop/Nolan. Play Edwards wide midfield or not at all (he could provide back-up as a striker - he can actually score goals after all). Nydam will need easing back in after injury.
Strikers we have a partnership that works between Jackson and Norwood. Sears, Keane and Lankester with Morris and Folami should be sufficient if we can supply them.

Not sure why you expect Woolfenden, Dozzell and Downes to have gone but not Dobra when it is the latter who attracted interest in January. It is difficult to predict who will attract real interest. If we can move on as many as possible from outside those it would be good.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Squad for next season on 18:50 - Feb 23 with 1327 viewsmanagement

Squad for next season on 15:41 - Feb 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

If we are talking about building something next season we need to trim things down and decide who we are building around.

Holy has to be first choice keeper and we would need a proper back up unless one of the younger ones can step up.
Defence we need to ease Chambers out (back up only) and build around Woolfenden, KVY and Garbutt (if we can sign him).
Midfield we need to find a partnership that works with Downes and decide who else is first choice Dozzell/Huws/Bishop/Nolan. Play Edwards wide midfield or not at all (he could provide back-up as a striker - he can actually score goals after all). Nydam will need easing back in after injury.
Strikers we have a partnership that works between Jackson and Norwood. Sears, Keane and Lankester with Morris and Folami should be sufficient if we can supply them.

Not sure why you expect Woolfenden, Dozzell and Downes to have gone but not Dobra when it is the latter who attracted interest in January. It is difficult to predict who will attract real interest. If we can move on as many as possible from outside those it would be good.

Personally i could see up to 22 players either moving on or been made available to other clubs.

Young players such as Wright, Drinan, Ndaba, Cotter, Folami.

Squad players such as Wilson, Rowe, Roberts, Nsiala, Kenlock, Donacien.

1st teamers ie Chambers, Edwards, Skuse, Keane.

Loanees expired, Norris and Garbutt (fear championship clubs will be interested).

Sellable assets, Dozzell, Jackson, Nolan, Judge, Downes (biggest disappointment of not getting promoted).

Would look to get nominal fees for the likes of Nsiala, Donacien, Nolan and Judge ie 150-250k per player.

See if we can wrangle a 1 million out of someone for Dozzell (Preferable Bournemouth if they are still interested and stay up), similar scenario with Jackson to Peterborough for 1 million on the basis Toney moves on for a significant sum in the Summer.

Downes, 5 million to the Hammers if they get relegated, 7 million if they stay up, he is a ready made replacement for Noble.

The list above would also remove 80 - 90k off the weekly wages as an estimate.

This leaves (4-5-1)

Holy
KVY
Earl (If interested) -
Wolfenden
CB ?
Huws
Bishop
CM?
Lankester
Sears
CF?

Pryzek
El-Mizouni
Morris
Dobra
Nydam
Norwood

Thus the need for significant recruitment ie 2 C/B's, 1 def CM, 1 or 2 CF's (ability to hold the ball up essential).

I don't anticipate us been able to move everyone on who we would like to depart and keeping a utility player like Edwards gives us back up in various areas of the pitch.

Probably one aspect that Lambert has done well is in recruitment ie Holy, KVY, Garbutt.

Genuinely concerned of getting marooned in Div 1 for a considerable period.
Squad for next season on 20:22 - Feb 23 with 1244 viewsclive_baker

Guess it depends who comes in for players, if at all. If we lived in an ideal world and we could get a market rate for any player we wished, I wouldn't be adverse to us moving a number on in the summer. I'm resigned to (reluctantly) losing Downes but I don't think Woolfy is a certainty. We need to move the old guard on I'm afraid, as well as a few of the others who have flattered to deceive. I think psychologically there are blockers in the squad, and a refresh is needed. Let the youth step up and play with some freedom. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Chambers, Skuse, Donacien, Nsiala, Wilson, Huws, Judge, Nolan et al moved on. Finding suitors for them might not be easy though. There are some good footballers in there, but we really do need a reset I think, both financially and football wise. In an ideal world I would start with a base of:

Holy, Wright
Kenlock, KVY, Woolfenden, Clements
Bishop, Dobra, El Mizouni, Nydam, Dozzell, Rowe
Jackson, Norwood, Morris, Lankester

We have to strengthen defensively in the summer. Lambert really needs to sign an out and out, experienced left back who can defend, and a centre back who can lead us. Getting the right characters is vital as we really lack leadership. I want to see a few born winners and influencers brought in. The same in the middle of the park, someone with a bit of nastiness about them. They're the 3 key signings for me.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024