Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. 18:56 - Feb 23 with 2616 viewsDubtractor

Always thought it is a waste that such a historic building sits empty and derelict. Hopefully this wont be the end of it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:21 - Feb 23 with 2506 viewsGuthrum

Something of a metaphor.

Used to be owned by the Cobbolds, derelict, now being destroyed ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:21 - Feb 23 with 2501 viewsWD19

Christ. If you want a job doing, do it yourself.

Cobbold STAND I said......
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:23 - Feb 23 with 2476 viewsazuremerlangus

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:21 - Feb 23 by WD19

Christ. If you want a job doing, do it yourself.

Cobbold STAND I said......

and should have been the other day starting with an "S"

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:32 - Feb 23 with 2450 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Such a shame. Sold not that long ago. Always wonder about people’s intentions, buying a derelict listed building. Must cost a bomb to put them back to former glory. Interesting to see what happens next.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:44 - Feb 23 with 2385 viewsBackToRussia

A shame for sure.

Also the Brewery Tap not being open any more. Love pubs in the arse end of nowhere but does make them rather good candidates for failure.

Was only about 5 or so years ago they were running a microbrewery from the Tolly building and serving it in the Tap.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 19:45]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:27 - Feb 23 with 2283 viewsMelford

Wonder how long it will be after this that a planning application is made to turn the site into flats? Funny how a lot of these old derelict industrial sites end up getting burnt down.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:29 - Feb 23 with 2274 viewsstonojnr

from the pictures of the fire it looks pretty terminal tbf even if they put the fire out :(

as the majority of the inside, or what was left of it anyway, will be pretty much destroyed from the upper levels of the brewery buildings downwards, so theres literally nothing left keeping the walls outside supported up,so it will be at risk of collapsing in on itself, thats why I think they are using water from the ladder to fight it, they wont have sent anyone in to the building at all or at least not to fight the fire at the upper levels.

its criminal that councils let owners of sites like this off the hook, to let them collapse in this way.
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:29 - Feb 23 with 2273 viewsEdwardStone

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:27 - Feb 23 by Melford

Wonder how long it will be after this that a planning application is made to turn the site into flats? Funny how a lot of these old derelict industrial sites end up getting burnt down.

A recognised tactic in the redevelopment game

The building "went on fire" as they say in the planning application

Strange that it always seems to happen over a weekend
Login to get fewer ads

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:42 - Feb 23 with 2220 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure if true but there’s a few posts on FB saying planning permission to convert it into flats was rejected last week

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:50 - Feb 23 with 2178 viewsFtnfwest

I thought you were going to say ‘into Norwich city’s Suffolk region youth academy’
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 22:35 - Feb 23 with 2002 viewsClapham_Junction

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:29 - Feb 23 by stonojnr

from the pictures of the fire it looks pretty terminal tbf even if they put the fire out :(

as the majority of the inside, or what was left of it anyway, will be pretty much destroyed from the upper levels of the brewery buildings downwards, so theres literally nothing left keeping the walls outside supported up,so it will be at risk of collapsing in on itself, thats why I think they are using water from the ladder to fight it, they wont have sent anyone in to the building at all or at least not to fight the fire at the upper levels.

its criminal that councils let owners of sites like this off the hook, to let them collapse in this way.

I don't think you can really blame councils for things like this. Often buildings get left vacant (and conveniently later burn down) happens because councils won't let developers get their way in making significant alterations to them. This sort of thing is regularly reported in the Nooks and Corners section of Private Eye.

The same thing happened with the old sugarbeet factory - developers refused to do anything with an industrial class site because the council wouldn't let them build housing on it. Eventually the council ended up buying it off them.
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 00:18 - Feb 24 with 1923 viewsStokieBlue

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:44 - Feb 23 by BackToRussia

A shame for sure.

Also the Brewery Tap not being open any more. Love pubs in the arse end of nowhere but does make them rather good candidates for failure.

Was only about 5 or so years ago they were running a microbrewery from the Tolly building and serving it in the Tap.

I used to go to the brewery tap most Friday and Saturday nights back in the mid-90s.

A truly great pub and a really sad day.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 02:49 - Feb 24 with 1847 viewsFifeITFC

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 20:42 - Feb 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure if true but there’s a few posts on FB saying planning permission to convert it into flats was rejected last week

Funny you say that. There was an old derelict school up here where I am now (Fife). Planning permission for flats was turned down a couple of years ago, then mysteriously went up in flames the following week.

Coincidence? I think not.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 05:00 - Feb 24 with 1819 viewsIPS_wich

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 00:18 - Feb 24 by StokieBlue

I used to go to the brewery tap most Friday and Saturday nights back in the mid-90s.

SB

It is sad.

I was the cellar man at the Tap for 5-6 months in 1993. Which didn't really amount to much other than lugging barrels around because the head brewer was the one who maintained the lines and tested the beer 2-3 times a day.

But the experience got me a job when I went to Uni - which in turn is how I met my wife in 1995 - we worked in the same pub together at Uni.
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:09 - Feb 24 with 1661 viewsartsbossbeard

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 00:18 - Feb 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Used to play footy for a sunday morning club based out of there.

Spent many a Monday morning regretting my decision to stay for "just another one".

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:12 - Feb 24 with 1655 viewsRadlett_blue

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 19:44 - Feb 23 by BackToRussia

A shame for sure.

From what I recall, Tolly Cobbold bitter was absolutely lousy.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:16 - Feb 24 with 1641 viewsartsbossbeard

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:12 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

It was a bit before my time but my Dad wouldn't touch the stuff.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:31 - Feb 24 with 1604 viewsIPS_wich

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:16 - Feb 24 by artsbossbeard

It was a bit before my time but my Dad wouldn't touch the stuff.

Tolly Bitter was pish

Tolly Original was passable

Tollyshooter was decent for the time

I actually drank a fair bit of the Tolly Mild - wasn't too bad.
The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:41 - Feb 24 with 1588 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those of us who grew up supporting Town in the 70’s, the name Tolly Cobbold was synonymous with ITFC.

That the TC building is now burning down just about sums this club up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 09:17 - Feb 24 with 1539 viewsGeoffSentence

Skycam East get some really good coverage of iconic Suffolk fires.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 09:24 - Feb 24 with 1504 viewsLord_Lucan

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 08:12 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

It was awful, but back then many bitters were awful to be fair. I remember some of the old boys in The Racecourse used to drink something called Cobnut which they thought was good but then again they were made up of failed painters, workshy labourers and inadequate window cleaners so they may not have had the most discerning of tastes. John Harvey-Jones had a programme on TV once called "The Troubleshooter" where he revived failing businesses and he featured Tollys on one episode after which they named a beer after him called "Tollyshooter". I used to drink that and again from memory it wasn't bad and it was fairly strong.

Their lager was middle of the road. They had an apparently terrible lager before my time called Husky which John Cobbold described as "Dogs p1ss", then I think they switched to Tuborg before moving on to Hansa "You have the thirst, we have the Hansa". They also had a premium lager called Dab which from memory wasn't too bad.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The old Tolly Cobbold building is on fire. on 09:38 - Feb 24 with 1468 viewssoupytwist

Quelle surprise looks like it might be arson - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-51610813
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024