Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert is going nowhere 18:25 - Feb 25 with 5477 viewsHARRY10

There appears to be a belief among some on here that Lambert will leave this summer if we are not promoted. Some clause in his contract it would seem.

So why the extension to his contract ? Why commit him to a contract that can be ended barely six months into it ?

I presume the original contract did not have such a clause so why sign a new contract that foes ?

It is hardly going to enthuse him to plan ahead, look to develop players when a narrow defeat in the playoffs (say) will mean an end to things.

This should tell you what Lambert is expecting

"“We’ll try everything and they’re still developing some of them, the older lads are probably at the wrong age of 30, and you can never defeat time, that’s always going to be there, and that has to change at some point,” Lambert said.

“Once that decision comes that you have to retire it isn’t great, but you have to get your head around it and then you finish, and then the future generations take it on."
Jan 2020

as those are not the words of someone looking at the next 6 months only.

And is there really a manager out there who could come in and immediately transform the squad into what's needed after so long a slide ?
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:30 - Feb 25 with 3208 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert will totally try and bluff it out as long as he can here because he is f*cked if he fails here. Trouble is, he already has.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:31 - Feb 25 with 3195 viewsHerbivore

I'd imagine there are many, many managers out there more capable than Lambert. His words are meaningless, I wouldn't take them as an indicator of anything. Not going up this season would be a huge failure and I'd expect him to lose his job and I'd expect unrest, enough to force ME's hand, if he keeps Lambert on after such a poor showing from him over the past 18 months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:35 - Feb 25 with 3185 viewstractorboy1978

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:30 - Feb 25 by BlueBadger

Lambert will totally try and bluff it out as long as he can here because he is f*cked if he fails here. Trouble is, he already has.

Evans was talking of the long term too - read below.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/evans-on-why-itfc-boss-lambert-needs-time-1-6458885

He is here next season unless he walks IMO.
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:37 - Feb 25 with 3177 viewstractorboy1978

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:31 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

I'd imagine there are many, many managers out there more capable than Lambert. His words are meaningless, I wouldn't take them as an indicator of anything. Not going up this season would be a huge failure and I'd expect him to lose his job and I'd expect unrest, enough to force ME's hand, if he keeps Lambert on after such a poor showing from him over the past 18 months.

Disagree.

It is a huge failure but I'm not convinced it is to Evans. Herein lies the difference in fans expectations and those of the owner of our football club.
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:39 - Feb 25 with 3164 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:35 - Feb 25 by tractorboy1978

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/evans-on-why-itfc-boss-lambert-needs-time-1-6458885

As I intimated above, there is now way Lambert is going to walk. He is finished as a football manager after his failures here.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:43]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:40 - Feb 25 with 3147 viewstractorboy1978

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:39 - Feb 25 by BlueBadger

As I intimated above, there is now way Lambert is going to walk. He is finished as a football manager after his failures here.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:43]

Agreed. So he will be our manager next season.
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:41 - Feb 25 with 3139 viewsHARRY10

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:30 - Feb 25 by BlueBadger

That presumes his only remit was to get us pronoted this season

So if that didn't work he would be sacked ?

Yep, I can see him signing to that effect so as to wipe off a years pay of.

And in comes the next manager with the same season long target/contract so every thing is thrown at that. No develoment or long term planning that might be a finacial distraction from that sh it or bust plan.

The law of diminishig returns applies here. And probably explains why we are in L1. But never mind. We are entitled to be in the Championship if not the PL so any manager who fails to put us there is a 'failure'.

Plus ca change, as the Welsh would say.
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:42 - Feb 25 with 3108 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:37 - Feb 25 by tractorboy1978

Disagree.

It is a huge failure but I'm not convinced it is to Evans. Herein lies the difference in fans expectations and those of the owner of our football club.

I suspect the dross we've served up since the first quarter of the season will be too much even for ME. He's been patient with managers generally but Lambert has now had as long as Keane and Jewell more or less and is no better than they were. I'd be surprised if he doesn't pull the trigger.

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:43 - Feb 25 with 3106 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:41 - Feb 25 by HARRY10

And in comes the next manager with the same season long target/contract so every thing is thrown at that. No develoment or long term planning that might be a finacial distraction from that sh it or bust plan.

The law of diminishig returns applies here. And probably explains why we are in L1. But never mind. We are entitled to be in the Championship if not the PL so any manager who fails to put us there is a 'failure'.

I quite agree that constantly sacking managers is recipe for disaster. But so is constantly indulging sh1t managers for far, far too long. and Lambert, like Keane and Jewell has been indulged for too long. Hell, Lambert's gone further than those two ever did and has not only succeeded in getting us relegated, but is looking ever more likely to keep us relegated.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:44]

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:45 - Feb 25 with 3068 viewsHARRY10

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:42 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

I suspect the dross we've served up since the first quarter of the season will be too much even for ME. He's been patient with managers generally but Lambert has now had as long as Keane and Jewell more or less and is no better than they were. I'd be surprised if he doesn't pull the trigger.

So given this was always a possibility why did Evans offer a 4 year extension.

Why not wait unto May to then sit down and negotiate a new contract, or not ?
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:46 - Feb 25 with 3057 viewshamburger_sv

Evans has backed the wrong manager for a long-term project. Richie Wellens at Oldham Athletic had a significantly higher win percentage than Paul Lambert and almost saved Oldham from relegation. He then went to midtable Swindon Town for a long-term project and after an year have brought them up to the top of League Two.

None of which could be said about Paul Lambert himself at Ipswich Town; last year showed that he cannot save teams from a relegation battle, and this year shows that he is clueless in managing a long-term project.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:47]

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:46 - Feb 25 with 3053 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:41 - Feb 25 by HARRY10

Nobody wants to keep sacking managers, but when the manager has shown nothing in 18 months to demonstrate even a basic level of competence and has in fact failed to progress us at all (quite the opposite actually) over the course of this season then he doesn't deserve to be stuck with as a long term bet.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:48 - Feb 25 with 3024 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:45 - Feb 25 by HARRY10

Probably because after our long distant good start to the season Sunderland came sniffing around and he had leverage.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:49 - Feb 25 with 3017 viewsBlueBadger

I'm starting to suspect it's because he's not particularly competent at his job and has been advised spectacularly badly by crooks and shysters for large parts of his tenure.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:49 - Feb 25 with 3019 viewshamburger_sv

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:48 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Probably because after our long distant good start to the season Sunderland came sniffing around and he had leverage.

I would rather have Lambert gone to Sunderland and us find a new manager. Sunderland would have had to pay the compensation, which means money for the club to fund January transfers.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:49 - Feb 25 with 3015 viewstractorboy1978

And this is what I come come back to. Nothing about Evans actions/words in the past few months intimates promotion this season was the remit.
Lambert is going nowhere on 18:50 - Feb 25 with 3002 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:49 - Feb 25 by hamburger_sv

I would rather have Lambert gone to Sunderland and us find a new manager. Sunderland would have had to pay the compensation, which means money for the club to fund January transfers.

Oh, bless you.

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:50 - Feb 25 with 2996 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:46 - Feb 25 by hamburger_sv

Evans has backed the wrong manager for a long-term project. Richie Wellens at Oldham Athletic had a significantly higher win percentage than Paul Lambert and almost saved Oldham from relegation. He then went to midtable Swindon Town for a long-term project and after an year have brought them up to the top of League Two.

None of which could be said about Paul Lambert himself at Ipswich Town; last year showed that he cannot save teams from a relegation battle, and this year shows that he is clueless in managing a long-term project.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:47]

Hell, his employment history over much of the last decade tells you that.

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:01 - Feb 25 with 2929 viewsjaykay

if lambert is sacked/walks what makes people think evans will do any better with his next appointment.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:03 - Feb 25 with 2925 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:01 - Feb 25 by jaykay

if lambert is sacked/walks what makes people think evans will do any better with his next appointment.

This is the most depressing thing of all. We have an incompetent manger and we are likley to employ another one.

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:11 - Feb 25 with 2877 viewsHARRY10

You would think this was reasonably easy to grasp

but it has to be set against a delusion of 'where we should be'.

We were relegated, it would seem, solely down to some cruel trick of fate, rather than a long term decline caused by short term planning.

The scum stuck with their manager. They got in someone who slowly cleared the decks of coaches and players. They are fairly certain to be relegated as they have chosen to take a longer term view of things - and will hit the Championship with two years parachute payments and player sales that will raise a fair whack.

We need an almost club rebuild, not just a squad rebuild..That does not happen overnight and shifting on players is not easy when their contracts are better tha L1/2 clubs can offer..

Bart talked on the 'failing attitude within the squad last season.. We may bot be failing but I don't see a ruthless determination either. That can only come about by shifting the deadwood.... and that takes time.
Lambert is going nowhere on 19:23 - Feb 25 with 2804 viewsGarv

Lambert is going nowhere on 18:43 - Feb 25 by BlueBadger

I quite agree that constantly sacking managers is recipe for disaster. But so is constantly indulging sh1t managers for far, far too long. and Lambert, like Keane and Jewell has been indulged for too long. Hell, Lambert's gone further than those two ever did and has not only succeeded in getting us relegated, but is looking ever more likely to keep us relegated.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 18:44]

Both Keane and Jewell were here for longer than Lambert has.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:29 - Feb 25 with 2757 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:11 - Feb 25 by HARRY10

You would think this was reasonably easy to grasp

but it has to be set against a delusion of 'where we should be'.

We were relegated, it would seem, solely down to some cruel trick of fate, rather than a long term decline caused by short term planning.

The scum stuck with their manager. They got in someone who slowly cleared the decks of coaches and players. They are fairly certain to be relegated as they have chosen to take a longer term view of things - and will hit the Championship with two years parachute payments and player sales that will raise a fair whack.

We need an almost club rebuild, not just a squad rebuild..That does not happen overnight and shifting on players is not easy when their contracts are better tha L1/2 clubs can offer..

Bart talked on the 'failing attitude within the squad last season.. We may bot be failing but I don't see a ruthless determination either. That can only come about by shifting the deadwood.... and that takes time.

We are failing and, most crucially to this debate, our manager is failing. A long term strategy is no bad thing but it has to be led by someone competent and Lambert has shown nothing here or over the past 7 years to suggest he's remotely up to the task.

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:30 - Feb 25 with 2746 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:23 - Feb 25 by Garv

Both Keane and Jewell were here for longer than Lambert has.

Not by much though and by the time the season is out he will have failed for a similar length of time as them.

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:33 - Feb 25 with 2733 viewshamburger_sv

Lambert is going nowhere on 19:30 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Not by much though and by the time the season is out he will have failed for a similar length of time as them.

Evans is waiting until next season when we find ourselves stuck in the relegation zone to sack Lambert.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024