Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection 15:04 - Feb 27 with 3837 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

The only option I can see Evans turning to after trying experienced managers/young managers is to appoint a man with obvious Ipswich connections to try and appease the crowd.

Other than John McGreal, I cannot see anyone who has any appropriate current experience to lead the club.

For example I do not see Shefki Kuqi, Frank Yallop or George Burley as viable options purely based on either level managed or time out of the English game.

I must be missing someone obvious?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:06 - Feb 27 with 3241 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hes only really tried the 'young' route once.

He should look to appoint someone who can instil a footballing style throughout the club, regardless of age.

Its the only way to run a club these days. PL talks about it, but shows no sign of doing it.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 15:07]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:07 - Feb 27 with 3223 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

John McGreal is an appealing candidate in my view out of Ex Town players.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:07 - Feb 27 with 3230 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:06 - Feb 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hes only really tried the 'young' route once.

He should look to appoint someone who can instil a footballing style throughout the club, regardless of age.

Its the only way to run a club these days. PL talks about it, but shows no sign of doing it.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 15:07]

I would argue that Roy Keane was still an inexperienced manager. Had only managed one team prior, hardly the wealth of knowledge that McCarthy, Jewell and Lambert had.

Edit - and Roy was 37/38 when appointed
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 15:08]

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:08 - Feb 27 with 3204 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:07 - Feb 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

I would argue that Roy Keane was still an inexperienced manager. Had only managed one team prior, hardly the wealth of knowledge that McCarthy, Jewell and Lambert had.

Edit - and Roy was 37/38 when appointed
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 15:08]

Fair point, but he was also appointed on the basis of being a big name in the game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:11 - Feb 27 with 3185 viewslondontractorboy57

Keep changing managers solves nothing. Lamberts got to face up write this season off get rid of all the dead wood and build his own young team.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:14 - Feb 27 with 3151 viewsSwailsey

Mogga?

Veno?

*shudder* Butcher?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:16 - Feb 27 with 3140 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:11 - Feb 27 by londontractorboy57

Keep changing managers solves nothing. Lamberts got to face up write this season off get rid of all the dead wood and build his own young team.

I used to hold this view but I still think if we had held onto Jewell or Hurst we would still be where we are now, if not worse.

Leicester, Watford, Leeds (to a very limited extent), Sheff Utd all show that you can keep cycling managers and you will hopefully end up with something that works.

Even that lot up the road had an awful run of managers until they stumbled upon Lambert.

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:16 - Feb 27 with 3139 viewsDoctor_Earman

Stop focusing on just the manager. Open your eyes and look at the common denominator in all of this - Marcus Evans. He's the puppeteer pulling all the strings. Until he goes this club will either decline further or tread water. Whoever happens to be the manager is largely irrelevant.
Login to get fewer ads

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:17 - Feb 27 with 3135 viewsPecker

Forget the Ipswich connection thingy, not important. The most important thing is to get the right man for the job and at the moment the right man is Warnock.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:18 - Feb 27 with 3128 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:16 - Feb 27 by Doctor_Earman

Stop focusing on just the manager. Open your eyes and look at the common denominator in all of this - Marcus Evans. He's the puppeteer pulling all the strings. Until he goes this club will either decline further or tread water. Whoever happens to be the manager is largely irrelevant.

If we were in the Championship I would agree, but are you suggesting that this squad (paid for by Evans) is not good enough to get promoted from this league?

IMO even an average manager could achieve top six with this squad

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:19 - Feb 27 with 3118 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:17 - Feb 27 by Pecker

Forget the Ipswich connection thingy, not important. The most important thing is to get the right man for the job and at the moment the right man is Warnock.

I didn't say the Ipswich connection is important to me, merely that i think this is the route Evans will take next in an attempt to keep the fans on board with season tickets.

If McGreal was appointed - I could see similar sales to this season

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:21 - Feb 27 with 3106 viewsportmanpensioner

Tony Mowbray?
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:24 - Feb 27 with 3084 viewsPecker

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:19 - Feb 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

I didn't say the Ipswich connection is important to me, merely that i think this is the route Evans will take next in an attempt to keep the fans on board with season tickets.

If McGreal was appointed - I could see similar sales to this season

Not so sure. Think attendances will be way down next season if we are still in L1, regardless of who is in charge.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:25 - Feb 27 with 3075 viewsSikamikanico

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:21 - Feb 27 by portmanpensioner

Tony Mowbray?

While he does have the Ipswich connection can you really see him leaving Championship Blackburn to start from scratch with Ipswich?
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:39 - Feb 27 with 2995 viewsDoctor_Earman

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:18 - Feb 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

If we were in the Championship I would agree, but are you suggesting that this squad (paid for by Evans) is not good enough to get promoted from this league?

I agree that Lambert is failing and needs to go. It's just Evans also needs to leave with him or the best we can hope for are the lower reaches of the Championship.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:09 - Feb 27 with 2916 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brendan Rodgers nearly came to work with Keane. That's good enough for me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:10 - Feb 27 with 2922 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:09 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

Brendan Rodgers nearly came to work with Keane. That's good enough for me.

Mourinho worked with Robson - sign him up!*

*as stupid as it sounds, would he actually be any good with zero budget?

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:21 - Feb 27 with 2891 viewsWeWereZombies

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:10 - Feb 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Mourinho worked with Robson - sign him up!*

*as stupid as it sounds, would he actually be any good with zero budget?

Not sure about as manager but it would be fun to see Mourinho taking the phone calls on BBC Radio Suffolk after we lose a match...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:26 - Feb 27 with 2863 viewsrickw

Isn't Warnock retiring in 3 months time?
Appointing him would be incredibly short-termist as if he did get us promoted, we'd then be left in the Championship with a poor squad and no manager, when we'd most likely have a season even worse than last year!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 17:36 - Feb 27 with 2746 viewsbobbyramsey

Is Venus still with Mogga?
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 17:47 - Feb 27 with 2719 views66notout

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 17:36 - Feb 27 by bobbyramsey

Is Venus still with Mogga?

Yes and David Lowe is also there
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 17:48]
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 18:02 - Feb 27 with 2669 viewsPecker

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 16:26 - Feb 27 by rickw

Isn't Warnock retiring in 3 months time?
Appointing him would be incredibly short-termist as if he did get us promoted, we'd then be left in the Championship with a poor squad and no manager, when we'd most likely have a season even worse than last year!

At least we would be up and as so, would be in a much better position to attract a better quality replacement.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 18:06 - Feb 27 with 2660 views66notout

I agree the Ipswich connection should not not even enter into it but I have met Shefki Kuqi and he has a persona that makes me believe he could be an outstanding candidate. Also, he is very keen to pursue a career in management and genuinely loves the club. He was apparently very close to being appointed by a current League Two club so he may be worth considering. He may have zero experience of managing in the English game but he must have learned a lot during his playing career, and back in Finland he was very successful in management at three very different clubs, avoiding relegation on behalf of two and delivering promotion as demanded by a third. Surely that has to count as being sufficiently qualified to take on the challenge at Portman Road.
Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 18:22 - Feb 27 with 2611 viewsCoastalblue

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 15:18 - Feb 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Are you Roy Keane?

Against all logic I quite liked the idea of Shefki before, he said all the right things. As it's turned out even if it all went horribly wrong for him we'd probably still be in a better position now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Current Managers with Ipswich Connection on 20:10 - Feb 27 with 2453 viewsMattinLondon

Mauricio Taricco - assistant manager at various top European clubs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024