Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit update 20:38 - Feb 27 with 8274 viewsSwansea_Blue

The board’s been much more pleasant and interesting lately, so I’m reluctant to post this. But why have people apparently switched off on what’s happening around Brexit?

Brexit has effectively disappeared, despite it not being “done”. Are people fed up, bored, thinking it’s “done”?

Just in the last couple of days we’ve had the following, but barely a mention about it:
- Govt saying they’ll pull out of European Arrest Warrant despite advice of people who know about such things
- Boris having a strop and saying he’ll take his toys away if the EU don’t give him what he wants (Canada++++++)
- Govt sating they don’t want close alignment on Erasmus or EU research programmes, screwing our world-class Unis
- Govt announcing 25% cut on farming subsidies, backtracking on promise to maintain EU levels of funding (Env Minister getting booed by farmers union audience as a result)
- A weird edict that Tory MPs and civil service can’t now use the term ‘no deal’, even though events are pointing towards there not being a deal...

And that’s just off the top of my head.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit update on 20:44 - Feb 27 with 4427 viewsbluelagos

Only speaking for myself, but have accepted the sh1tshower that is brexit is happening.

If it's a sh1tshower, Boris and his mates have to own it. If it is a success, will happily eat humble pie.

Cant change it, so what will be, will be.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Brexit update on 20:52 - Feb 27 with 4400 viewsclive_baker

Personally, I’m bored sh1tless of the whole thing.

I guess the media have got Coronavirus and adverse weather to shift papers for a few weeks. No doubt the focus will shift back to brexit as the deadline approaches.

Deadly viruses, sh1t weather, brexit, Ipswich being absolutely garbage at football. What a time to be alive.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Brexit update on 20:52 - Feb 27 with 4399 viewsazuremerlangus

Brexit update on 20:44 - Feb 27 by bluelagos

Only speaking for myself, but have accepted the sh1tshower that is brexit is happening.

If it's a sh1tshower, Boris and his mates have to own it. If it is a success, will happily eat humble pie.

That's where I'm with it too.

A healthy government majority with the fact we are now "fully independent" now means there is no hiding, but I have the feeling that BJ and his No.10 team will try to waffle out of it if it goes south.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Brexit update on 20:53 - Feb 27 with 4392 viewsjaykay

being extorted

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Brexit update on 20:56 - Feb 27 with 4388 viewstractordownsouth

I like how the govt have repackaged No Deal as an " Australian style arrangement"

For anyone unsure of this, Australia has no FTA with the EU.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Brexit update on 20:57 - Feb 27 with 4370 viewsm14_blue

They absolutely definitely won’t own it.
Brexit update on 20:59 - Feb 27 with 4362 viewsHARRY10

Given pretty much most of what the numpties were told, and believed, is not now going to happen there is not too muh to say that doesn't fall into the category of 'there I told you so'.

The blonde buffoon has even suggested what little is left will be abadoned unless the EU stops .................sticking to it's stance before brexit and the agreements it made with the UK in the autumn.

But then I would have thought it fairly obvious that the UK was not going to be able to freely trade it's goods with the EU if they did not comply with it's standards. Differing will make them subject to checks and tariffs.

So it is merely a matter of watching the tide come in and washing away the sandcastle of lies and delusion.

As previously stated, there is more to come. The UK is going to drop out of the European Arrest Warrant. That will certainly bring a smile to all those naughty foreign criminals in the UK
Brexit update on 21:02 - Feb 27 with 4349 viewsjaykay

Brexit update on 20:57 - Feb 27 by m14_blue

They absolutely definitely won’t own it.

100% they wont . every thing they do regarding brexit has the " the people voted for it" somewhere in press release

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit update on 21:06 - Feb 27 with 4347 viewstractordownsouth

As for the European Arrest Warrant withdrawal, that's a massive threat to national security. Although there will be spin to blame Labour of course.

Brexit update on 21:09 - Feb 27 with 4341 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 21:02 - Feb 27 by jaykay

100% they wont . every thing they do regarding brexit has the " the people voted for it" somewhere in press release

And when it finally all falls apart they will simply say they tried their hardest, even threatened to walk away with no deal

So they cannot be blamed

rather like watching a 4 year old with jam rounds it's mouth denying anything to do with the missing doughnut
Brexit update on 21:09 - Feb 27 with 4340 viewstractordownsouth

This is why it's so important that Labour pick Starmer or Nandy in order to have a credible opposition. As Brexit inevitably goes to sh1t, the Tories should be vulnerable by 20204. We need to have a strategy whereby we call the Tories out for their broken promises, without having an " I told you so" attitude towards leavers

Brexit update on 21:13 - Feb 27 with 4318 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 21:09 - Feb 27 by tractordownsouth

This is why it's so important that Labour pick Starmer or Nandy in order to have a credible opposition. As Brexit inevitably goes to sh1t, the Tories should be vulnerable by 20204. We need to have a strategy whereby we call the Tories out for their broken promises, without having an " I told you so" attitude towards leavers

The danger is that brexiteers seem totally oblivious to what is going on. Beyond 'we won, innit' there appears little comprehension of the implications of the last two months back pedally, hand brake turns.

No grasp of the absurdity of threatening to walk away.

A bit like the scene in Blazing saddle where the sheriff threatens to shoot himself
Brexit update on 21:30 - Feb 27 with 4257 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting to get some views, thanks. So a bit of Brexit fatigue combined with resignation. The Commons majority is undoubtedly key - the government no longer have to pander to other groups, so there’s no chance of lobbying to change things. They wouldn’t listen anyway.

I'm a bit frustrated with the fall off in interest generally. Lots of people had lots to say not long ago but now they’re not interested. Yet to some of us the next 10 months will have a direct bearing on our jobs or other aspects of our lives. I feel like the whole debate was highjacked by people who ultimately don’t give a crap. But maybe that’s unfair. (Ps. Not aimed at anyone here, but people over here in deepest darkest Wales).
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 21:36]

Brexit update on 21:47 - Feb 27 with 4211 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 21:30 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

Interesting to get some views, thanks. So a bit of Brexit fatigue combined with resignation. The Commons majority is undoubtedly key - the government no longer have to pander to other groups, so there’s no chance of lobbying to change things. They wouldn’t listen anyway.

I'm a bit frustrated with the fall off in interest generally. Lots of people had lots to say not long ago but now they’re not interested. Yet to some of us the next 10 months will have a direct bearing on our jobs or other aspects of our lives. I feel like the whole debate was highjacked by people who ultimately don’t give a crap. But maybe that’s unfair. (Ps. Not aimed at anyone here, but people over here in deepest darkest Wales).
[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 21:36]

They did care - but that was on the basis of having both their ears and eyes closed.

I'm sure many will be well aware that is not going to be the glowing bright new tomorrow they were promised but 'getting back cpntril' will be ok... at virtually any price. Only problem is that control never left.

The only control lost is that which spectators lose at PR or another football ground. Where there are regulations and requirements that are in place for the betterment of all.

Stating that you object to paying for your seat and being told where to sit is incredible stupid if you still want to watch the game live. Bleating that the the club has the right to make decisions over how it manages the ground is just as absurd.

I can only wonder at what will be the response from these numpties when (and if) reality finally hits them.

And the EWA saw 6500 foreign criminals deported in the last decade - and an average of 100 a year UK wanted brought back to the UK.

But still, brexiteers know best and far better none of that happens least we be seen to be cooperating with those naughty Europeans.
Brexit update on 22:00 - Feb 27 with 4166 viewsfooters

The people were given multiple choices. People chose. Now sit back and relax. Not much more you can do now.

Let's hope the people are right :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brexit update on 22:02 - Feb 27 with 4162 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit update on 22:00 - Feb 27 by footers

The people were given multiple choices. People chose. Now sit back and relax. Not much more you can do now.

Well, 1 choice of 2 options. But let’s not go there again!

Brexit update on 22:09 - Feb 27 with 4146 viewsStNeotsBlue

Brexit update on 21:09 - Feb 27 by tractordownsouth

Think you're being a touch negative and defeatist if you don't think the Tories will be vulnerable before 20204.
Brexit update on 22:10 - Feb 27 with 4140 viewsfooters

Brexit update on 22:02 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

Well, 1 choice of 2 options. But let’s not go there again!

I also meant the General Elections. Either way, the people have spoken, so let's witness the wisdom of these decisions :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brexit update on 22:16 - Feb 27 with 4110 viewsBlueBadger

Brexit update on 22:09 - Feb 27 by StNeotsBlue

Think you're being a touch negative and defeatist if you don't think the Tories will be vulnerable before 20204.

If Wrong-Daily gets elected that's probably a conservative(pun not intended) estimate.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brexit update on 22:18 - Feb 27 with 4100 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 22:00 - Feb 27 by footers

I am sitting back, and enjoying the spetacle of it all falling apart...so quickly

It is now an amost daily occurence - seeing what next is 'not happening'

Brexiteer delusions

Brexit update on 22:45 - Feb 27 with 4042 viewsNthsuffolkblue

They won, we lost. The Government landslide off the back of their biggest minority of the vote share saw to that. The fight has gone.

With this Government having a mandate to do pretty much whatever they want we are going to suffer what we get. No point fighting it. Best off just trying to prepare as best we can and be thankful I am nowhere near as vulnerable as many other people.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Brexit update on 23:00 - Feb 27 with 4011 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 22:45 - Feb 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

They won, we lost. The Government landslide off the back of their biggest minority of the vote share saw to that. The fight has gone.

With this Government having a mandate to do pretty much whatever they want we are going to suffer what we get. No point fighting it. Best off just trying to prepare as best we can and be thankful I am nowhere near as vulnerable as many other people.

Or in reality it has altready backtracked on brexit that it is pretty meaningless.

A majority of that size means Tory MP's can 'play up' to their hearts content knowing they will not risk bringing the government down

To fund half of what Johnson has spouted will mean the swivel eyed section will kick off, just as they also watch brexit not happening.

As to not fighting, thank god the UK did not see what happened at Dunkirk and thrown in the towel.
Brexit update on 00:01 - Feb 28 with 3944 viewsBangor31

and the other side of the coin would say:

- Govt saying they’ll pull out of European Arrest Warrant despite advice of people who know about such things
(not what has been proposed, agree we need an very good agreement in place asap)
- Boris having a strop and saying he’ll take his toys away if the EU don’t give him what he wants (Canada++++++)
(tit for tat, classic childish political negotiation)
- Govt sating they don’t want close alignment on Erasmus or EU research programmes, screwing our world-class Unis
(not what has been said, although hints to that line)
- Govt announcing 25% cut on farming subsidies, backtracking on promise to maintain EU levels of funding (Env Minister getting booed by farmers union audience as a result)
(not strictly true only the largest benefiters would get this, the smaller farms would get as little as 5%. also this, i agree unlikely, is meant to be put into a new farming pot)
- A weird edict that Tory MPs and civil service can’t now use the term ‘no deal’, even though events are pointing towards there not being a deal...
(there is literally no such thing as no deal, but WTO is looking more and more likely)
Brexit update on 00:12 - Feb 28 with 3921 viewsHARRY10

Brexit update on 00:01 - Feb 28 by Bangor31

and the other side of the coin would say:

(not what has been proposed, agree we need an very good agreement in place asap)
(tit for tat, classic childish political negotiation)
(not what has been said, although hints to that line)
(not strictly true only the largest benefiters would get this, the smaller farms would get as little as 5%. also this, i agree unlikely, is meant to be put into a new farming pot)
(there is literally no such thing as no deal, but WTO is looking more and more likely)

either side of the coin points to what was claimed before the referendum is not going ro happen

and has since pretty much now been shown to have been blatant lies

blatant, in as much as they could never be delivered

I could claim to be able to run a mile in under 4 minutes....extremely unlikely but not beyond the bounds of possibility

I could claim to be able to fly across the channel using only my body with nothing attached - cannot happen however much I try or talk up the possibility

the latter is brexit - there is no 'oven ready' deal, there never was and the never could be under what was claimed
Brexit update on 01:23 - Feb 28 with 3886 viewsDoctor_Earman

You're forgetting the fact that the rest of the EU member states are fighting like ferrets in a sack over the forthcoming EU budget. Turns out it isn't so easy when you can't milk the British cash cow for £63bn.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024