Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you weren't a Town fan 21:39 - Feb 27 with 1707 viewsCoastalblue

say you moved to this country and were a big football fan but had no affinity to any club. Who do you think you'd pick to support, and what sort of criteria would you look for?

Would you want to glory hunt, choose one of the big boys with chances of seeing finals and trophies or would you want a smaller team were you felt perhaps a bit more relevant?

Maybe you'd go non league?

I think I'd probably veer toward what Town were once, a smaller club with a chance of winning something. I'm not sure if you support a Man Utd, Chelsea, City that seeing your team win something has quite the same feeling.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:43 - Feb 27 with 1678 viewsitfcjoe

I think I’d go relatively local, wherever I was as you can’t beat the buzz of a live game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:45 - Feb 27 with 1661 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d do what I always do - support my local team. The only way you can support a team is by watching them, otherwise you’re not supporting them (you’re just interested in them, which isn’t the same thing at all). I can’t imagine how you could build an affinity towards a team without watching them regularly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:45 - Feb 27 with 1660 viewstextbackup

if I lived in London - millwall
north - everton
midlands - villa

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:01 - Feb 27 with 1593 viewsWeWereZombies

St. Johnstone

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:05 - Feb 27 with 1571 viewsScuzzer

Yeah I would probably support the biggest club nearest to me locally. It works for me when in the States. My son used to live in Ohio and so we all became fans of Columbus Crew.....funny story....bumped into another Town fan in the car park...right out of the blue. It works for grid iron also. My son is a Browns fan, with being a Town fan as well he is fast facing saturation point in dispair...he now lives in Knoxville Tennessee so I have a soft spot for the Titans.
Good question Coastal.

Established 1968

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:06 - Feb 27 with 1567 viewsPlums

I’m not sure you ‘pick’ clubs, I think they pick you. I.e. in some way you get carried along by watching them or sharing an experience with them and their fans. It’s an affinity thing. It would probably be Notts County for me. Small club, loyal fans base, in the shadow of a bigger neighbour but a club you can get close to.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:27 - Feb 27 with 1517 viewsmonty_radio

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:45 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

I’d do what I always do - support my local team. The only way you can support a team is by watching them, otherwise you’re not supporting them (you’re just interested in them, which isn’t the same thing at all). I can’t imagine how you could build an affinity towards a team without watching them regularly.

But I do think that if you have indeed watched them over a formative period that many can go on to remain almost as avid when their lives take them to other places yet they still continue to pore over results and tables from afar.

There is no substitute for watching live though Town have spent nigh on two years trying to prove that false.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:33 - Feb 27 with 1507 viewsLord_Lucan

Always support your local team. I would go with that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:40 - Feb 27 with 1484 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:33 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Always support your local team. I would go with that.

While living in various parts of the country I have followed and then supported....Blackburn Rovers, Huddersfield Town and Ipswich Town(none of which was during the premiership years)...luckily during the 8 years or so that I lived in Brighton I wasn't that bothered about football.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If you weren't a Town fan on 22:50 - Feb 27 with 1459 viewsSharkey

If I moved to the country, I’d support a small local team. But if I wanted to ‘adopt’ a club in a foreign country with the idea I might visit as a tourist, I’d go for a small one with a silly kit, or a cool name, and possibly Matijn Reuser as an ex-player. Go-Ahead Eagles maybe .
If you weren't a Town fan on 22:53 - Feb 27 with 1456 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Local team.
Lived in Warwickshire back in the 80,s. On the occasions i couldn,t get to a Town game, which was rarely, i would go to watch Villa, Birmingham, Coventry or West Brom.

Not the same, but got to really enjoy watching them all at times. Still have a bit of a soft spot for the "Baggies".

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

If you weren't a Town fan on 01:30 - Feb 28 with 1332 viewsDoctor_Earman

Immigrants will tend to support the big boys or clubs with players from their nation of origin.
If you weren't a Town fan on 09:05 - Feb 28 with 1164 viewsBigManBlue

I've actually just done this in reverse. Gotta go with the local club you can actually go and see or what's the point?

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

If you weren't a Town fan on 09:16 - Feb 28 with 1146 viewsHARRY10

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:45 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, assuming you had not for some allegience before you moved to the UK

it waould also mean that most of those living around you supported the same team

nothing like having fellow supporters to have a good moan with

and the further down the league you go the more likely those who you meet are not 'glory hunters, you can get into games and it's much easier to feel part of something.... rather than sat on a bus from Penzance to Old Trafford to sit among a bunch of Swedes on a hospitality package

and terraces, proper outside toilets and you don't need to be in your seat 30 mins before the game
If you weren't a Town fan on 09:19 - Feb 28 with 1135 viewsPecker

If you weren't a Town fan on 21:43 - Feb 27 by itfcjoe

I think I’d go relatively local, wherever I was as you can’t beat the buzz of a live game

Same here. If I lived around the Manchester area, more likely to support Oldham/Salford than Man.Utd/City.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024