Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have 09:11 - Feb 28 with 8546 viewsmonytowbray

Yesterday I discovered, after over 8 years of my current profession doing a lot of Excel heavy lifting, that there's a conditional format function to highlight duplicates in a column or row. I've been doing this the hard way and doing =countif formulas the entire time to discover duplicates. Not the hardest or most time extensive way to do so but still, there's a button I can just click to sort it out that's sat under my nose all this time.

Anyone else got anything like that where they suddenly discovered they've spent years faffing with something when there was an easier way?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 12:23]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:14 - Feb 28 with 5271 viewsPecker

I have been doing up shoe laces all my life. Just discovered slip ons. Wasted days of my life doing up laces.
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:34 - Feb 28 with 5220 viewsBloomBlue

Last week I discovered I've been wearing a watch all my life to tell the time but now people wear a watch for everything (ie paying for stuff) other than telling the time, I've stopped wearing a watch now.
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:36 - Feb 28 with 5202 viewsStokieBlue

It's nicer to do it yourself using COUNTIF() as you still then have all the original source data you were given and can times by either 1 or 0 to eliminate the duplicates.

Excel is actually an excellent piece of software from the much maligned Microsoft.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:37 - Feb 28 with 5193 viewsmonytowbray

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:36 - Feb 28 by StokieBlue

It's nicer to do it yourself using COUNTIF() as you still then have all the original source data you were given and can times by either 1 or 0 to eliminate the duplicates.

Excel is actually an excellent piece of software from the much maligned Microsoft.

SB

I agree, and I do like the idea of counting how many dupes in column. But the fact this button exists blows my mind.

I bloody love Excel too.

TWTD never forgets…

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:38 - Feb 28 with 5184 viewsusm

Cool story, bro.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:45 - Feb 28 with 5150 viewsSwansea_Blue

Conditional formatting is my go to. I just like the pretty colours.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:45 - Feb 28 with 5150 viewsmonytowbray

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:38 - Feb 28 by usm

Cool story, bro.

Don't be hating on me because you know your answer to this question is "sex" ;)

TWTD never forgets…

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:46 - Feb 28 with 5143 viewsmonytowbray

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:45 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

I use it a lot for quick data visualisation, particularly if it's a template or document other people will be using.

We need a TWTD Excel formula appreciation thread.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:47 - Feb 28 with 5134 viewsSouperJim

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:14 - Feb 28 by Pecker

I have been doing up shoe laces all my life. Just discovered slip ons. Wasted days of my life doing up laces.

Just wait until you find out about velcro...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:48 - Feb 28 with 5132 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Some football teams play F A Cup games after January!

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 10:24 - Feb 28 with 5056 viewsbrazil1982

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:47 - Feb 28 by SouperJim

Just wait until you find out about velcro...

That's just a rip off.
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 10:28 - Feb 28 with 5045 viewsPecker

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:48 - Feb 28 by Tangledupin_Blue

What is this witchcraftry you speak of ? Everybody knows the F.A. Cup final is on the first weekend of January.
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 10:54 - Feb 28 with 5003 viewsWeWereZombies

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:48 - Feb 28 by Tangledupin_Blue

Dare we ask how your Dad is doing?

And my obvious stuff (that my daughter instructed me about, in that advice given as a command that daughters seem to do nowadays) is chromebook instead of Windows. OK, I am dumbed down, but also much less stressed and with time to get up from the computer and do real life (or stay stuck to the computer and fritter away another day on TWTD).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:02 - Feb 28 with 4979 viewsMeadowlark

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:34 - Feb 28 by BloomBlue

Last week I discovered I've been wearing a watch all my life to tell the time but now people wear a watch for everything (ie paying for stuff) other than telling the time, I've stopped wearing a watch now.

I stopped wearing a watch over 30 years ago. It was a liberating moment, just like in Easyrider!

(Note for younger readers. "Easyrider" was a hippy/biker film from the 1960s)
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:07 - Feb 28 with 4961 viewsmonytowbray

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:02 - Feb 28 by Meadowlark

I stopped wearing a watch over 30 years ago. It was a liberating moment, just like in Easyrider!

(Note for younger readers. "Easyrider" was a hippy/biker film from the 1960s)

Classic (and depressingly real) film.

I wear my Tissot more as an accessory now and my FitBit is just to monitor my fitness.

TWTD never forgets…

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:18 - Feb 28 with 4923 viewsParisBlue

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 09:45 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

The problem I have with Excel and conditional formatting is a lot of people seem to choose yellow and green as the colours...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:28 - Feb 28 with 4901 viewstractordownsouth

That you don't need any detailed policies to win elections, you just need a meaningless slogan.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:29 - Feb 28 with 4903 viewsWD19

I only discovered relatively recently that all car fuel gauges tell you which side the fuel cap is on.
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:47 - Feb 28 with 4847 viewsFixed_It

I find it makes it look like I know what I am doing even when I don't.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:22 - Feb 28 with 4806 viewsmonytowbray

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:18 - Feb 28 by ParisBlue

The problem I have with Excel and conditional formatting is a lot of people seem to choose yellow and green as the colours...

I've had people start doing that on purpose to annoy me in the past. Always said if I ended up running a team it would be my first biggest rule, no Y&G spreadsheets. But in the end I decided being and/or having a boss isn't for me and went self-employed :)

TWTD never forgets…

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:33 - Feb 28 with 4769 viewsSuperblue95

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 11:29 - Feb 28 by WD19

I only discovered relatively recently that all car fuel gauges tell you which side the fuel cap is on.

My dad never realised that either until I showed him last month

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:35 - Feb 28 with 4759 viewsHalf_Idiot

Similarly with excel I recently discovered the sumproduct formula as opposed to the long winded formula of sum(X*Y,X*Y,etc...)
Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:39 - Feb 28 with 4728 viewspositivity

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:35 - Feb 28 by Half_Idiot

Similarly with excel I recently discovered the sumproduct formula as opposed to the long winded formula of sum(X*Y,X*Y,etc...)

INDEX MATCH changed my life

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:55 - Feb 28 with 4703 viewsBLUEBEAT

Found out this week that the little arrow at the side of the petrol pump icon on the dashboard tells you what side of the car your tank/flap is.

Poll: W or W

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 12:56 - Feb 28 with 4703 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Really obvious stuff you learned or discovered later than you should have on 10:54 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Dare we ask how your Dad is doing?

And my obvious stuff (that my daughter instructed me about, in that advice given as a command that daughters seem to do nowadays) is chromebook instead of Windows. OK, I am dumbed down, but also much less stressed and with time to get up from the computer and do real life (or stay stuck to the computer and fritter away another day on TWTD).

Thank you for asking.

Am sorry to say that he slipped away at 6:30 on Tuesday morning. The end was very peaceful. I was there until 2 o'clock that morning but went off for sleep leaving my sister by his bedside. I was then due to take over from her at 8.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024