Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding - not worth it 20:48 - Feb 28 with 1259 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/“ive-killed-a-kid”-young-dad-d

Jailed for 3 years and 4 months.

“There are no winners in a case like this, only losers,” he said.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Speeding - not worth it on 21:38 - Feb 28 with 1196 viewsJ2BLUE

That sentence is a joke.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Speeding - not worth it on 21:57 - Feb 28 with 1165 viewsjeera

That's horrific.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Speeding - not worth it on 22:22 - Feb 28 with 1128 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Speeding - not worth it on 21:38 - Feb 28 by J2BLUE

That sentence is a joke.

There isn't really an appropriate sentence, though. He will be taken away from seeing his own child grow up for more than a year but that is minor in comparison to the suffering his actions have led to for the other family.

The bit I find difficult is that someone can be done for dangerous driving where they don't happen to kill someone and the sentence is very significantly less than someone who has done pretty much the same thing but ended up killing someone.

Any reasonable person will already be suffering from the fact they have killed a child. The quote of his reaction immediately after suggests this individual probably feels like that. However, reasonable people wouldn't generally be driving like that in a residential/retail area with traffic and pedestrians.

Speeding - not worth it on 23:33 - Feb 28 with 1094 viewsjeera

Speeding - not worth it on 22:22 - Feb 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

There isn't really an appropriate sentence, though. He will be taken away from seeing his own child grow up for more than a year but that is minor in comparison to the suffering his actions have led to for the other family.

The bit I find difficult is that someone can be done for dangerous driving where they don't happen to kill someone and the sentence is very significantly less than someone who has done pretty much the same thing but ended up killing someone.

Any reasonable person will already be suffering from the fact they have killed a child. The quote of his reaction immediately after suggests this individual probably feels like that. However, reasonable people wouldn't generally be driving like that in a residential/retail area with traffic and pedestrians.

I think my argument for a stronger sentence there would be that:

1: He was caught on camera overtaking in a 30mph, at pushing 50mph

and that

2: His partner even texted their friend that they were deliberately breaking speed limits to get to him faster.

The death wasn't intentional, but the actions that led to it were.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Speeding - not worth it on 12:10 - Feb 29 with 915 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stupidly short sentence - surely that’ll get reviewed? Triple that wouldn’t have been unreasonable.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 12:11]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Speeding - not worth it on 14:41 - Feb 29 with 839 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Speeding - not worth it on 23:33 - Feb 28 by jeera

I think my argument for a stronger sentence there would be that:

1: He was caught on camera overtaking in a 30mph, at pushing 50mph

and that

2: His partner even texted their friend that they were deliberately breaking speed limits to get to him faster.

The death wasn't intentional, but the actions that led to it were.

And my counter to that is what sentence would someone caught overtaking in a 30 at pushing 50 with a similar text sent and produced as evidence expect to get if found guilty of dangerous driving?

The bloke deserves no sympathy but I think maybe there should be equally severe sentences for equally dangerous and reckless acts that do not result in the same tragedy. A car is a lethal weapon and it is all too easy to forget that when sat behind the wheel. The sentence for armed robbery does not tend to be significantly lower because a weapon has not been actually used does it? I am not expert, though. Maybe it does.

Speeding - not worth it on 14:45 - Feb 29 with 830 viewsSwansea_Blue

Speeding - not worth it on 14:41 - Feb 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

And my counter to that is what sentence would someone caught overtaking in a 30 at pushing 50 with a similar text sent and produced as evidence expect to get if found guilty of dangerous driving?

The bloke deserves no sympathy but I think maybe there should be equally severe sentences for equally dangerous and reckless acts that do not result in the same tragedy. A car is a lethal weapon and it is all too easy to forget that when sat behind the wheel. The sentence for armed robbery does not tend to be significantly lower because a weapon has not been actually used does it? I am not expert, though. Maybe it does.

Understand what you’re saying but they are difference offences, hence have different sentencing guidelines. He could have got up to 14 years for death by dangerous driving, and given the crime was exacerbated by having his own baby in the car and putting its life at risk, I’m surprised he didn’t get a much longer stretch.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Speeding - not worth it on 15:02 - Feb 29 with 800 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Speeding - not worth it on 14:45 - Feb 29 by Swansea_Blue

Understand what you’re saying but they are difference offences, hence have different sentencing guidelines. He could have got up to 14 years for death by dangerous driving, and given the crime was exacerbated by having his own baby in the car and putting its life at risk, I’m surprised he didn’t get a much longer stretch.

Yes, if that is the maximum sentence one has to wonder why his was very much at the lower end of it. The total disregard for his own family's safety is also noteworthy.

Not arguing the 14 years is too long at all, but arguing the dangerous driving sentences should be more severe really. No one committing the offence expects to kill someone. If they knew simply being caught by dashcams/traffic cameras and traffic police would see a prison sentence and lengthy ban perhaps it would deter more people from driving that way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024