Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? 01:01 - Feb 29 with 5881 viewsbrazil1981

Presuming Downes & Wolf sold for a few million:

Holy in goal- happy with that;

W/backs - KVY & Garbutt (if we could keep him) - ver happy;

Three C backs needed;

Midfield: Lancaster, Doz, Huws, Rowe, Dobra, Bish, El Miz, Nydam: if all fit not bad, but youngsters need to step up if given chance;

Forwards; Norwood & Jackson, plus couple of youngsters (Folami, Morris?) and maybe an experienced target man brought in as back up....if given service at this level should be strong;

The rest: Chambo, Skuse, Wilson, Keane, Judge, Sears, Kenlock, Nolan, Donc, Nsiala,...overpaid, not good enough, past it, failed to perform this year etc! Ship most out if possible, or keep as backup if needed!
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 01:41 - Feb 29 with 5827 viewsDoctor_Earman

No chance of keeping Garbutt.
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 05:30 - Feb 29 with 5731 viewsChrisd

The youngsters can’t do it all on their own and this league has shown you need good experienced pros In the side too, to help them through when things get tough. However, I’d be looking at other experienced players to the ones you’ve rightly listed. The tough job would be getting those players off our books. I was hoping that we’d see more involvement of our younger players this season, but sadly no.

PS- Garbutt won’t be staying.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 5:39]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:33 - Feb 29 with 5681 viewsYallop

You never win anything with kids
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:38 - Feb 29 with 5684 viewsParamedic

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 05:30 - Feb 29 by Chrisd

The youngsters can’t do it all on their own and this league has shown you need good experienced pros In the side too, to help them through when things get tough. However, I’d be looking at other experienced players to the ones you’ve rightly listed. The tough job would be getting those players off our books. I was hoping that we’d see more involvement of our younger players this season, but sadly no.

PS- Garbutt won’t be staying.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 5:39]

The thing is at what point are you no longer considered a youngster. Dozzell has been on the fringes of what seems forever. Players need to play not have one game here and there. Put them in the side and keep them in the side, this is the only way they will improve. Players coming through from our academy is about the only good thing this club can still do, but recent manager after manager seems to want to stall that process either to play some expensive mistake of a signing or to give someone else's flop a game. Now we need a striker we should be looking at the likes of Folami, Morris, Simpson now. This should be their opportunity.

AllalallalSunderland

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:52 - Feb 29 with 5652 viewslambo77

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 01:41 - Feb 29 by Doctor_Earman

No chance of keeping Garbutt.

agree.Losing players like him and Downes its hard to see how we will replace and kick on.
Depressing stuff
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 07:22 - Feb 29 with 5581 viewsChrisd

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:38 - Feb 29 by Paramedic

The thing is at what point are you no longer considered a youngster. Dozzell has been on the fringes of what seems forever. Players need to play not have one game here and there. Put them in the side and keep them in the side, this is the only way they will improve. Players coming through from our academy is about the only good thing this club can still do, but recent manager after manager seems to want to stall that process either to play some expensive mistake of a signing or to give someone else's flop a game. Now we need a striker we should be looking at the likes of Folami, Morris, Simpson now. This should be their opportunity.

To be fair, I can see Dozzell leaving in the summer.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:20 - Feb 29 with 5409 viewsbraveblue

That midfield would get demolished. Bishop will play maybe 10 games. Dozzell has shown nothing in League 1. Huws injured are some point. We would need replacements. Mind you, if the two are sold for £10m we should have £500k to spend.
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:21 - Feb 29 with 5401 viewsParamedic

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 07:22 - Feb 29 by Chrisd

To be fair, I can see Dozzell leaving in the summer.

I can see that happening also, and at the right club in the right side I can see him going into bigger and better things.

AllalallalSunderland

Login to get fewer ads

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:25 - Feb 29 with 5392 viewsTonytown

We will lose KVY and Garbutt as well as Downes and Wolf.

I would hope that Lambert would also go and we start rebuilding again with ME’s next choice of manager.

How he has failed to get us in the top 2 of this division is beyond me, especially after the start that we had.
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:25 - Feb 29 with 5393 viewsagentp

I see a flaw in your plan. We will have a wages restriction and you want us to bring in quite a few more players. How will that work?

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:27 - Feb 29 with 5379 viewsr2d2

You cant get out this league with kids. You need a big lump up top to win headers and hold the ball up. You need a couple of brutes in defence as well. 2 or 3 kids, but experience is needed. You cant play football in this league until you have won the battle.
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:37 - Feb 29 with 5355 viewsBlueBadger

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:25 - Feb 29 by agentp

I see a flaw in your plan. We will have a wages restriction and you want us to bring in quite a few more players. How will that work?

The biggest flaw in it is that Lambert could quite easily still be in charge.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:46 - Feb 29 with 5327 viewsmuccletonjoe

I think you are correct
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:50 - Feb 29 with 5315 viewsBlueBadger

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 09:25 - Feb 29 by Tonytown

We will lose KVY and Garbutt as well as Downes and Wolf.

I would hope that Lambert would also go and we start rebuilding again with ME’s next choice of manager.

How he has failed to get us in the top 2 of this division is beyond me, especially after the start that we had.

I suspect he's failed because he's not a very good football manager who's been coasting on the back of what he did at Norwich nearly 10 years ago.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 11:20 - Feb 29 with 5220 viewsrickw

I agree with a lot, however like others have said we won't be able to afford Garbutt in L1, I also can't see Chambers leaving and also think Wilson is a decent squad player, however Rowe will never be good enough for our first team.

I think we should try again for 4-3-3, it's what our youth teams try to play, it just didn't suit our players this season.
I'm not saying the below team is the answer (this team lacks physicality) but I'd like all the below players being given a good chance to show if they can cut it or not next season.

_____________Holy
KVY__Chambers__New CB__Nydam
___________Dozzell
_______Bishop____El Miz
Lankester________________Dobra
____________Morris
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 11:21]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 11:30 - Feb 29 with 5193 viewsGuthrum

That midfield has 226 career League starts and 122 sub appearances between them. But if you take out Huws (95/15), that leaves just 131/107, of which Bishop (46/38) and Rowe (38/31) represent nearly two-thirds. That's woefully inexperienced.

Especially given repeated injury woes for some of them and the fact Huws might leave in the summer as well.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 11:55 - Feb 29 with 5144 viewsSE1blue

That midfield would keep Florence Nightingale on her toes.

For 10 years, maybe more, we’ve heard the line “if all fit...”

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 12:00 - Feb 29 with 5125 viewsjas0999

Garbutt will be offered a better deal elsewhere.

Our strikers just haven’t excelled this season. I’m not sure Jackson (inconsistent) and Norwood (good in league two and conference) are good enough.

The problem as always is who will we attract? Evans will sell but won’t reinvest at the level required to get the right type of player. We know that. It’s one of the reasons we are a League one club.
Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 12:07 - Feb 29 with 5113 viewskozmik

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 11:20 - Feb 29 by rickw

I agree with a lot, however like others have said we won't be able to afford Garbutt in L1, I also can't see Chambers leaving and also think Wilson is a decent squad player, however Rowe will never be good enough for our first team.

I think we should try again for 4-3-3, it's what our youth teams try to play, it just didn't suit our players this season.
I'm not saying the below team is the answer (this team lacks physicality) but I'd like all the below players being given a good chance to show if they can cut it or not next season.

_____________Holy
KVY__Chambers__New CB__Nydam
___________Dozzell
_______Bishop____El Miz
Lankester________________Dobra
____________Morris
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 11:21]

Physicality is what is getting us beaten!

Supporter since 1965

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 12:11 - Feb 29 with 5100 viewsGuthrum

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:38 - Feb 29 by Paramedic

Or, perhaps, they are not played because they aren't up to it, in terms of skill, mentality and/or physical development? At least at this stage.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 13:15 - Feb 29 with 5022 viewsDeano69

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 06:33 - Feb 29 by Yallop

You never win anything with kids

Sadly not in this division.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Next season - go with youth, get rid of dead wood, what do you think? on 13:25 - Feb 29 with 4992 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we’d just sink (further) under the current regime. The only thing that’ll save Lambert is the little bit of extra quality and experience, as it doesn’t look like he’s able to coach a group so the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You’d need that if we changed and started relying on youngsters.

Have we even got and good youngsters in the age group teams capable of stepping up to replace the likes of Flynn and Woolf when they move on?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024