Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich 09:33 - Feb 29 with 12242 viewsSomethingBlue

Was at Carrow Road last night and, for one reason or another, have been to see them a few times this season. It's just night and day now, the difference between the clubs — the matchday experience, the way the stadium looks, the atmosphere, and of course the football being played. If there are still two divisions between us next season, and I make a good chance of that because there's no reason they can't stay up now, then they are gone for many, many years and the gap may actually never be bridged. The gulf will only become wider, by a tune of hundreds of millions, and although we all say football is cyclical I'm not so sure that's the case these days due to the way finances have changed. Every success story includes some luck, and every story of dereliction includes some ill fortune, but overall the level of competence with which they have been run over the past decade and a half in comparison to Town should be regarded as an absolute embarrassment. It actually hurts to think about it for too long.

Aware this is not a new observation and, for some, I know the comparisons are tedious. But for many of us it's all too deep-set!
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 9:34]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Norwich on 09:42 - Feb 29 with 8068 viewsmonytowbray

Carrow Road doesn’t have an atmosphere.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Norwich on 09:46 - Feb 29 with 8035 viewshaynes_toe1

Norwich on 09:42 - Feb 29 by monytowbray

Certainly seemed to on sky last night.

Obviously helped by the brand of football.

But anyway, football I think will always remain cyclical. Neither of our clubs are top 6 prem sized clubs and for the rest they're only ever one bad decision away from relegation
Norwich on 09:50 - Feb 29 with 7990 viewsBent_double

I think you need to explain yourself, going to watch the budgies a few times in one season is just not on!

They still probably need 12-15 points from 30 to stay up, possible, but unlikely - not sure what their run-in is like though.

Sure, they are miles ahead of us atm, but many, many clubs have got promoted to the PL, managed to hang around for 5 or 6 seasons before it all comes crashing down, big style, and they end up in L1 with players on £2m a year contracts.

It will click for us one day, the right manager, the right players and we'll be back up there...I guess we just have to be very, very, very patient.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Norwich on 09:57 - Feb 29 with 7946 viewsAce_High1

Forget the football for minute, this for me is one of the biggest issues with the last decade with Evans.

The lack of strategy and direction the whole organisation has is what will take us many years to come back from.

As you say its the detail that counts, Norwich do it well whereas we look like a bunch of amateurs. Lets hope one day someone comes in and rips our club up from top to to bottom and starts again with a proper 5-10 year plan and inputs a whole philosophy and structure around the football team.
Norwich on 09:58 - Feb 29 with 7939 viewsle2blue

I cling to the hope that Stewart White used to say the same down the pub in Norwich when recounting his trips to cover Ipswich between 1972 - 1982 !

You're correct of course, our decline has happened at the worst possible time, the levels of investment coming into the game are insane and creating a massive divide which may well be too big to bridge. Our only real hope is that we attract some form of investment which entices Evans to move on. We can then hope for some proper and sensible management, a degree of investment and planning - Norwich, Sheffield United and Brentford have shown what can be achieved with that.

The nightmare scenario is the current ownership continues along with their strategy of death by a thousand cuts...and it coincides with Premier League 2 and we are cut off.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 9:59]
Norwich on 10:01 - Feb 29 with 7904 viewsSomethingBlue

Norwich on 09:58 - Feb 29 by le2blue

I cling to the hope that Stewart White used to say the same down the pub in Norwich when recounting his trips to cover Ipswich between 1972 - 1982 !

You're correct of course, our decline has happened at the worst possible time, the levels of investment coming into the game are insane and creating a massive divide which may well be too big to bridge. Our only real hope is that we attract some form of investment which entices Evans to move on. We can then hope for some proper and sensible management, a degree of investment and planning - Norwich, Sheffield United and Brentford have shown what can be achieved with that.

The nightmare scenario is the current ownership continues along with their strategy of death by a thousand cuts...and it coincides with Premier League 2 and we are cut off.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 9:59]

Norwich are, it will surprise nobody to hear, very much in favour of PL2. It is still a few years away but it will happen and our chances of getting anywhere near it look slim.

Norwich on 10:06 - Feb 29 with 7847 viewsChrisd

Unfortunately I agree. You hate to see it being a Town fan, but it's like they're in a completely different world to us. We're the poor relations in comparison, scavenging for every crumb of comfort, while they callously throw the remains from their banquet off the PL table. I see they've got some favourable fixtures coming up over the next 5 or 6 games too, knowing their luck they'll stay up while we remain where we are!
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 10:17]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Norwich on 10:10 - Feb 29 with 7819 viewsChrisd

Norwich on 09:57 - Feb 29 by Ace_High1

Forget the football for minute, this for me is one of the biggest issues with the last decade with Evans.

The lack of strategy and direction the whole organisation has is what will take us many years to come back from.

As you say its the detail that counts, Norwich do it well whereas we look like a bunch of amateurs. Lets hope one day someone comes in and rips our club up from top to to bottom and starts again with a proper 5-10 year plan and inputs a whole philosophy and structure around the football team.

They just appear a better run club from top to bottom, while we continue to use plasters to try and stem the cracks.

Login to get fewer ads

Norwich on 10:10 - Feb 29 with 7815 viewsReuser_is_God

Norwich on 09:42 - Feb 29 by monytowbray

Does PR? There is literally only one tier of one stand that ever get behind the team.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Norwich on 10:14 - Feb 29 with 7770 viewsstrikalite

Norwich on 10:06 - Feb 29 by Chrisd

Unfortunately I agree. You hate to see it being a Town fan, but it's like they're in a completely different world to us. We're the poor relations in comparison, scavenging for every crumb of comfort, while they callously throw the remains from their banquet off the PL table. I see they've got some favourable fixtures coming up over the next 5 or 6 games too, knowing their luck they'll stay up while we remain where we are!
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 10:17]

To think it all started properly for them in League One...

Even back then they played a nice passing game, trusted in their youth....
Norwich on 10:19 - Feb 29 with 7711 viewsChrisd

Norwich on 10:14 - Feb 29 by strikalite

To think it all started properly for them in League One...

Even back then they played a nice passing game, trusted in their youth....

Something radical needs to occur at our club, but trusting ME to think creatively is like asking for the moon to be put on a stick!
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 10:32]

Norwich on 10:26 - Feb 29 with 7635 viewsHARRY10

What is frustrating is our own fans. They looked nothing when we drew 1-1 but they stuck with Farke.

What is apparent now is that theytook a step or two back and then started to rebuild with a new model. Top to bottom it seems.

Whereas because Lambert may not deliver our our entitled promotion this board gets swamped with posts about some mythical get out clause to sack him.

Those PL clubs that have struggled to get back to the PL are little different to us in that they have come down with players who are not up to it and drawing a fair whack in wages. Skuse and Chambers will leave in the sumer. Others like Nolan will not be so easy to shift. It will need time.

I watched the game last night, and football aside it does look like they are all in it together. I don't see a petulent bunch of moaners complaining that Rome hasn't been built in a day.

We have a number of important home games comingup. Lets put our moaning behind us and show we want success, not complain that it hasn't been automatically granted. Because if them feckers can do it then why not us ?

And one thing they have shown is it can be done without big spending
Norwich on 10:29 - Feb 29 with 7605 viewsSteve_M

I think it's gone for ITFC to be honest, we've missed out at every single potential turning point since the Summer of 2001 with the exception of McCarthy in 2012-13. It's the main reason I can't join in the growing dislike of Lambert, the failings are so much deeper than that.

As for Norwich, despite the structure they put in place they were lucky last season. They blew two chances of Premier League money and would have struggled had they stayed down with that wage bill.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Norwich on 10:42 - Feb 29 with 7453 viewsChrisd

Norwich on 10:26 - Feb 29 by HARRY10

What is frustrating is our own fans. They looked nothing when we drew 1-1 but they stuck with Farke.

What is apparent now is that theytook a step or two back and then started to rebuild with a new model. Top to bottom it seems.

Whereas because Lambert may not deliver our our entitled promotion this board gets swamped with posts about some mythical get out clause to sack him.

Those PL clubs that have struggled to get back to the PL are little different to us in that they have come down with players who are not up to it and drawing a fair whack in wages. Skuse and Chambers will leave in the sumer. Others like Nolan will not be so easy to shift. It will need time.

I watched the game last night, and football aside it does look like they are all in it together. I don't see a petulent bunch of moaners complaining that Rome hasn't been built in a day.

We have a number of important home games comingup. Lets put our moaning behind us and show we want success, not complain that it hasn't been automatically granted. Because if them feckers can do it then why not us ?

I'll hold my hand up and admit that I am one of those who moan about PL, but if I could see that things are evolving in the way that we play or even the employment of more youth in our first team then I'd have piped down a long time ago, but nothing has really changed, there hasn't been a culling from top to bottom. It's just the same old dross, with the majority of failed players from last season's abysmal effort. There isn't really much to get behind at the club and that's the frustrating thing especially with the support the club has received this season the interest is still very much there. However, typically the modern ITFC flatter to deceive and miss a trick or two, but with an owner like ours, it's to be expected.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 10:43]

Norwich on 10:44 - Feb 29 with 7414 viewsBlueBadger

The problem with the 'we can't just keep sacking managers' argument when it comes to Lambert is that he's utterly failed to deliver any kind of tangible progress in the 18 months he's been here.
We needs to back our managers, sure, but they have to be competent in the first place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Norwich on 10:45 - Feb 29 with 7395 viewsLord_Lucan

When you get as old as me you will realise that nothing lasts forever.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Norwich on 10:46 - Feb 29 with 7378 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 10:45 - Feb 29 by Lord_Lucan

When you get as old as me you will realise that nothing lasts forever.

...apart from a trip into town for the wife to buy shoes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Norwich on 10:49 - Feb 29 with 7343 viewsLord_Lucan

Norwich on 10:46 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

...apart from a trip into town for the wife to buy shoes.

I know it's a bit of a cliche but they actually do end up buying the first pair they looked at don't they.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Norwich on 10:50 - Feb 29 with 7336 viewsclive_baker

I’ve seen them this season too (away, by way of invite from a home fan, so I wasn’t lining their pockets) and clearly they’re head and shoulders above us by way of quality. Financially too, they’ve got £100m of assets in 3 players in this market, should they go down and decide to cash in on C*ntwell / Lewis / Aarons et all. Couple that with the parachute payments and they should be in a good place to challenge for promotion next season, but I would still argue that football is cyclical. It’s difficult to comprehend now but who knows what the fortunes of our clubs might be in 5 years. I would be willing to wager an existing L1 club will be in, or have been in the premier league in the next 5-7 seasons and vice versa.

What’s important to distinguish is that their relative success (by their standards) and our demise aren’t linked. We need to look hard at what’s happened here for the answers why we’re now unlikely to be competing in the same league as them next season. The club is significantly under invested, everything from the ground, training ground, wider community initiatives, academy, links with schools. The issue is the impact of that is never seen overnight. It’s 5, 10, 15 years time when we’ll realise the damage, as Norwich scoop up young talent from under our noses, by way of both players and supporters.

Mid to long term Evans is solely at fault for our position, but I also think there are valid question marks over Lambert. He’s been dealt a pretty poor hand, but he’s played it terribly would be my view. We can’t influence what norwich do, not do I care particularly (although final day of the season relegation would be nice). Evans and the decision makers can control the controllables as ITFC though, and I’m encouraged to see the work they’re doing especially with local primary schools and ‘pushing’ Norwich back from our heartland and fighting back a little. It should never have got this far though, and more immediately we need to improve our fortunes on the pitch to make that sustainable longer term. It’s all about balance.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Norwich on 10:51 - Feb 29 with 7317 viewsBlueBadger

Norwich on 10:49 - Feb 29 by Lord_Lucan

I know it's a bit of a cliche but they actually do end up buying the first pair they looked at don't they.

I regularly get into a row for suggesting I go and sit in a pub for two hours whilst she goes round and calls me when she's done but then get nothing but grief for 'following me around looking like you might die of boredom'.

Norwich on 10:54 - Feb 29 with 7272 viewspatrickswell

No Harry, stop blaming the fans. In the week leading up to that 1-1 at Portman Road, Norwich were in the bottom 6 and the talk in a lot of the previews leading up to that game was that defeat could spell trouble for Farke. Don’t forget, the hip and happening German had seen his side finish below Ipswich for the first time in a decade the previous season at a time when we were supposedly managed by someone who was the polar opposite of what Farke represented.

They got the draw at Portman Road and in their next game, they beat Middlesbrough (then in the top 6) at Carrow Road and they never looked back. We lost 2-0 at Hull, (then in the bottom 3) and started to plunge.

Farke delivered success and although they will probably come down they are, once again, in a decent financial position. Ipswich fans are continually implored to get behind the team/plan and are continually subjected to failure, incompetence and BS. And this has gone on, barring McCarthy’s better years, for 12 years now. The fans are shown nothing that indicates they should have any faith or belief in those running this club.
Norwich on 10:55 - Feb 29 with 7241 viewsbrazil1982

Hang on, why are you going to games at Carrot road? Why are you giving them money?
Norwich on 10:57 - Feb 29 with 7223 viewsSomethingBlue

Norwich on 10:55 - Feb 29 by brazil1982

Hang on, why are you going to games at Carrot road? Why are you giving them money?

I haven't given them a single penny, don't worry.

Norwich on 10:59 - Feb 29 with 7184 viewsLord_Lucan

Norwich on 10:51 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

I regularly get into a row for suggesting I go and sit in a pub for two hours whilst she goes round and calls me when she's done but then get nothing but grief for 'following me around looking like you might die of boredom'.

I feel your pain, I have the exact same issue. She says she wants me there for my opinion but we have the complete opposite it clothing tastes, I like bright "Look at me" clothes and she likes dowdy black and grey stuff. I will be at the shoe rack and pick out a pair of red stilettos and say these are nice, she will tell me I'm a prat and pick up a pair of non descript flats.

If I am clothes shopping the last thing I would want is my Mrs there, mind you it is impossible for me to clothes shop in Ipswich so I dodge that bullet.

Norwich on 11:01 - Feb 29 with 7156 viewsPrideOfTheEast

There’s not really a good chance they’ll stay up is there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024