Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. 17:03 - Feb 29 with 2122 viewscbower

On 5Live today, Tony Puils said just before he arrived, Boro had a disastrous transfer window. Spent good money badly. He suggested it would take the club three years to recover from it. Hurst's one transfer window was our complete disaster. Lost Webster, Waghorn, Garner. McGoldrick departed too. Hurst brought in Donacien, Roberts, Nolan, Nsiala, Edwards plus Chalobah and Walters. With the exception of Chalobah (not ours anyway) they all flopped. Perhaps we will never recover from such abysmal recruitment. No football oversight at the top of the club is really to hlame.

bluescouser

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:09 - Feb 29 with 2019 viewsstewartm

Totally agree with this! Arguably every manager under Evans reign has had a disastrous transfer window for one reason or another (Managers not getting primary targets, not replacing quality sold and buying on the cheap or loans) total farce from the owner and IF PL walks the next manager also inherits crap with no money to fix a long broken squad!!

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:12 - Feb 29 with 1960 viewsRyorry

Concur with your main thrust, but we will recover one day. Just need a Burley-type figure to spot talent in other leagues at a good price + bring yoofs through.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:14 - Feb 29 with 1924 viewsstewartm

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:12 - Feb 29 by Ryorry

Concur with your main thrust, but we will recover one day. Just need a Burley-type figure to spot talent in other leagues at a good price + bring yoofs through.

love your optimism but remember if a Burley type figure does find good talent for a cheap price, he will be sold on to pay the businessman's 'running cost'...
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 17:14]

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:15 - Feb 29 with 1891 viewsstringy

so do we need a structural change then? I think many of us were conceptually happy with going for the largely unproven young manager (Hurst) as opposed to another 'I got relegation once' older character. So for Evans to then say 'no' to a bunch of Hurst's purchases would have been completely against the grain.

did/do we need an intermediary between Evans and a young manager to decide on recruitment? it's a structure we see elsewhere (Walsh at Leicester worked terrifically, less so in next job), but often causes a headache / issue with managers who feel threatened and want complete control...
Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:23 - Feb 29 with 1817 viewscbower

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:15 - Feb 29 by stringy

so do we need a structural change then? I think many of us were conceptually happy with going for the largely unproven young manager (Hurst) as opposed to another 'I got relegation once' older character. So for Evans to then say 'no' to a bunch of Hurst's purchases would have been completely against the grain.

did/do we need an intermediary between Evans and a young manager to decide on recruitment? it's a structure we see elsewhere (Walsh at Leicester worked terrifically, less so in next job), but often causes a headache / issue with managers who feel threatened and want complete control...

I think so. It would appear that Hurst's recruitment was ok'd financially by Evans but what footballing due diligence was done. Not one of those players can even be deemed as a partial success. None are established as first choice and we are in a division below that for which they were originally purchased! We need to try something different. A genuine coach with a DoF assisting maybe. Watching Town under Lambert and it is really hard to see any sign of coaching at all.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 17:24]

bluescouser

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 20:27 - Feb 29 with 1666 viewsRyorry

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:14 - Feb 29 by stewartm

love your optimism but remember if a Burley type figure does find good talent for a cheap price, he will be sold on to pay the businessman's 'running cost'...
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 17:14]

We've always been a selling club tho, even under Burley. We just need to find sufficient talent to have a surplus to squad requirements that we can sell!

(Yes I'm a born optimist, probably just a self-defence measure to stop me crying every Saturday & some Tuesdays!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 21:49 - Feb 29 with 1498 viewsjaykay

ah hindsight. i think back then most were getting excited by those transfers in. the board was full of my [ name any club] supporting mate thinks we got a bargain with x player etc

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 21:53 - Feb 29 with 1473 viewsitfcjoe

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 21:49 - Feb 29 by jaykay

ah hindsight. i think back then most were getting excited by those transfers in. the board was full of my [ name any club] supporting mate thinks we got a bargain with x player etc

I remember pointing out that a lot of these ‘young, hungry’ players weren’t that young which was going to be an issue with resale values which is normally why clubs look down the leagues. They were mostly 25-26

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 22:01 - Feb 29 with 1395 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think that is fair enough. Lambert had shown some capability at decent recruitment; Holy, KVY, Garbutt, Norwood are all decent acquisitions at this level and I'm sure most in this League would take them.

However, with our financial constraints it could take longer than 3 years, I would have thought the purse strings will be tightened again in the summer.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 08:28 - Mar 1 with 1081 viewsOxford_Blue

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 17:09 - Feb 29 by stewartm

Totally agree with this! Arguably every manager under Evans reign has had a disastrous transfer window for one reason or another (Managers not getting primary targets, not replacing quality sold and buying on the cheap or loans) total farce from the owner and IF PL walks the next manager also inherits crap with no money to fix a long broken squad!!

Magilton brought a load of players in didn’t he.
Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 08:52 - Mar 1 with 999 viewsagentp

Recovering from a disastrous transfer window. on 21:49 - Feb 29 by jaykay

Absolutely this, one comment stuck in my mind, it said something like "How can PH bring players of this quality in when MM couldn't."

The majority wanted Hurst, the majority jizzed over his signings and the majority were excited for the future.

The majority got it wrong. ME got it wrong too, but is the only one that can't delete his TWTD posts and deny it.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024