Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I feel sorry for our young fans 22:59 - Feb 29 with 1764 viewsEssexBloo

Being in my 40s I’ve at least seen some good time under Lyall and Burley. I’ve “done” UEFA cup away games and the PO final was obviously a great time. I’m glad I idolised Kiwomya, Jason Dozzell, Warky, Craig Forrest, M and M hitting 5 against the scum, Taricco, Marcus Stewart, Reuser (and even Bobby Petta).
I’m envious of my dad talking about the real glory days of SBR but my god what the hell does any Town fan under 30 have to be proud of? Fair play to any of those for spending money week after week putting up with such an average generation.
I feel sorry for our young fans on 23:49 - Feb 29 with 1677 viewsTractorWood

No promotion in 20 years. Not even a decent cup run in the last 10-15 years. One of the only clubs not to go to the new Wembley.

Years of decline under a disinterested owner and a series of generally poor managers who get little rigour but also very limited transfer funds to minimise financial exposure.

We are a pup. Supporting Ipswich is a never ending downward spiral.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I feel sorry for our young fans on 02:41 - Mar 1 with 1616 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Good subject matter. You got to have some miles behind you to rack up any recall of good times here and by that not necessarily the Burley seasons of say 1999 - 01, European finish and qualification etc.

The 1992 Second League Championship for instance and FA Cup adventure with it would be a good example for those a little older than the above. I don't believe many under 35 knows or can remember what a run in the FA Cup with this team feels like I'm serious.

I missed the 1962 League win with Crawford and Phillips and WON'T get to see another Town team be Champions of their country but can take away other accolades in later time that was fortunate enough to be part of. I try not to live in the past, it were a great era for the fans that may never be duplicated but such is the trash of present time it's hard sometimes not to look back.
I feel sorry for our young fans on 07:40 - Mar 1 with 1494 viewsthebooks

I go with my lad, who’s 15. His first match was ITFC v Leeds (we won 1-0, Jason Scotland goal).

I admire his gumption in keeping going this season and last, but he’s getting fed up with it, and who can blame him? He loves football, and all his mates support Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc. etc.
I feel sorry for our young fans on 08:20 - Mar 1 with 1404 viewseastangliaisblue

Being of the same age i feel exactly the same.
I almost feel lucky that because of my job i only get to go a handful of times a season now.
I can't remember the last time i went and actually enjoyed watching.
So sad to see and can't see it changing anytime soon.
I feel sorry for our young fans on 08:29 - Mar 1 with 1384 viewstractordownsouth

Yep, I'm going to accept my sympathy on this one. FIrst got into football aged 5, halfway through the 04/05 season. Being so young, I didn't understand the implications of failing to go up, and that Bent, Kuqi, Miller, Counago and Davis would all leave. Since then, the 'highlight' has been a season in which we lost to our biggest rivals in the play offs. I thought this year would at least give us another top 6 finish ffs.

So yeah, poor me!

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I feel sorry for our young fans on 10:45 - Mar 1 with 1271 viewshaughleyblue74

Yep being mid 40s and having watched since the early 80s I feel sorry for my lad who's 15 as he has seen nothing to get excited about not even a cup run, at least we had a few back in the day.
I feel sorry for our young fans on 11:14 - Mar 1 with 1255 viewsjudespiveyg

You say that, but because our expectations are so pathetically low, it's probably less painful for us younger fans (first game was Coventry 3-2 in 2010) than anyone old enough to have ever seen us have a good team. The 2014/15 season is genuinally the best it got, when we lost to Norwich three times and finished way above that squads ability.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

I feel sorry for our young fans on 13:30 - Mar 1 with 1191 viewsSwansea_Blue

My memories of SBR days is pretty limited, but I’m glad I’ve got a few and had the chance to see that great times for a few years. I blame not being able to see half the time back then - a milk crate was only so much help for seeing through a packed Churchman’s crowd. I’m 100% sure I took it for granted, but then what <11/12 year old kid wouldn’t?

I enjoyed promotion under Lyall, especially having Warky back again. And there were some great away days around that time with mates from Uni.

Burley’s time stands out for me though. We’d had so many near misses that to finally make it back felt fantastic. There was momentum of a building inevitability about promotion, but then who’d have expected what happened next? The manner in which we played was the cherry on top - widely respected and envied as a proper footballing team. And Burley was one of ours - it felt extra special.

All completely different to the sh*tfest we’ve had to endure since of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I feel sorry for our young fans on 14:18 - Mar 1 with 1142 viewsDublinBlue84

Being in my mid 30s myself, I saw my first game in 92/93 and a couple of games a year or so until 94/95 which was truly dreadful and then got my first ST in 95/96 and was a season ticket holder for next 10 seasons with a squad gradually being built by Burley, great 99/00 play offs, European tours, fifth in the Premier League and some great days out.

Jim's first season in charge I moved to Dublin but still saw a good few games a year despite the long trip. However under Keane and Jewell I really lost a bit of interest, the expense and hassle of flying over in the morning and back at night on a Saturday wasn't worth it, although I started to do it again for Mick's first half in charge before staying away at the end as it was just boring.

Moved back to the UK and got season ticket for 18/19 and this year and will next year no matter what, for me this year isn't as bad as last year but can understand why those who have seen Keane's Jewell's and the later end of Mick's reign every week are fed up - I didn't have to watch that every week.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024