Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? 08:55 - Mar 1 with 4880 viewsDoctor_Earman

Marcus Evans is almost 100% to blame for our current predicament. The main reason being that, as owner, Evans is responsible for running the club. That entails deciding upon a strategy (both a footballing and non-footballing one), appointing staff (not just managers), setting the level of ambition and setting the levels of investment.

Evans has failed here on all counts. Only in recent years has there been a long-term 'strategy' to speak of. However, the whole '5-point plan' nonsense and the appeal to a 'technical style of football' is utter hogwash. There is no long-term strategy at ITFC.

His record has also been incredibly poor when appointing staff. Keane, Jewell, Hurst and now Lambert have all proven to be shocking appointments. Moreover, Evans putting the likes of Simon Clegg and Ian Milne in charge of running the club on a day-to-day basis were diabolical decisions and smack of someone who either doesn't care about the football club or someone who has no idea what they're doing. In Evans' case it's probably both.

Ever since Mick came in Evans has effectively given up on ITFC. Almost no investment in the playing squad has meant relegation was always coming sooner or later. The failure to spend in the January of 2015 told us all loud and clear that Evans no longer had any ambition for the club. As owner and chairman of the club this lack of ambition and sheer complacency has unfortunately percolated down to all levels of the football club - management, players and even fans. People will moan about Lambert and his poor record but who was it that gave him the 5-year contract? It means Lambert is under no real pressure to succeed. If Lambert is under no real pressure to succeed then the players are also under no real pressure to succeed. The whole club is rank with accepting mediocrity.

Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING, will change until Evans is out of the club. He sets the tone of what he wants the club to be and is now the biggest barrier to ITFC ever achieving anything remotely close to success. It's all very sad of course, but please just remember who the real villain of the piece is and is causing all of this: MARCUS EVANS!
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 08:58 - Mar 1 with 3336 viewssparks

He has got manager choices wrong. But few called it that way at the time of those appointments

Beyond that your argument lacks facts.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:01 - Mar 1 with 3316 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 08:58 - Mar 1 by sparks

He has got manager choices wrong. But few called it that way at the time of those appointments

In what way exactly?
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:02 - Mar 1 with 3305 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think everyone realises that Evans is a big problem, I assume you have seen the many posts.

But that also stems from the fact that the structure of football is f*cked! 90% of fans are unhappy with their owners.

I'm sure Evans must massively regret ever buying Ipswich.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:03 - Mar 1 with 3292 viewssparks

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:01 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

In what way exactly?

In every way. It's entirely speculation based on the end result. You don't know what strategies were agreed or whether managers drove them. You don't know if Clegg and milne did their jobs well. Etc.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:04 - Mar 1 with 3291 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:01 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

In what way exactly?

Out of interest...

We're you against the PL appointment at the time?

Can you back that up with posts from the time?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:07 - Mar 1 with 3275 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:03 - Mar 1 by sparks

In every way. It's entirely speculation based on the end result. You don't know what strategies were agreed or whether managers drove them. You don't know if Clegg and milne did their jobs well. Etc.

The ''end result'' is ITFC are languishing in mid-table in League One. Whatever 'strategies' were or weren't agreed have evidently not worked. And if you think Clegg and Milne were good at their jobs then god help you.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:08 - Mar 1 with 3277 viewsFtnfwest

The management set up is undoubtedly the main problem from the Evans era, we’ve been left behind over the last 15-20 years generally on that front, and I do believe that some of those managers may have had a better chance if the right set up had been in place. But overall they have been very poor appointments, largely based on past records which suggests all Evans did was read up on them a bit. A club like ours should be scouting not just the next generation of up and coming players, but up and coming coaches too.
All of this is more the issue than finance, certainly in terms of the amount. Particularly MM was happy with what he had in 2015, or if he wasn’t was just being Evans stooge and taking the money and bonuses he was on quietly. I actually think he was being genuine, Jim after all having been given mid season cash when Evans first took over, spent it and only succeeding in upsetting the balance of what was a slowly improving team on the edge of the playoffs, Mick at that point may not have wanted the same to happen.
It’s also been Evans approach to transfers and his inflexibility to get anywhere near other clubs evaluations over the years, particularly in MMs era, that has also brought us up short, rather than a specific reigning in of expenditure until more recently.
The alarming thing for me post Hurst was Marcus saying he wants to get more directly involved in the day to day running of the club, which didn’t suggest things would improve.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:11 - Mar 1 with 3237 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:08 - Mar 1 by Ftnfwest

The management set up is undoubtedly the main problem from the Evans era, we’ve been left behind over the last 15-20 years generally on that front, and I do believe that some of those managers may have had a better chance if the right set up had been in place. But overall they have been very poor appointments, largely based on past records which suggests all Evans did was read up on them a bit. A club like ours should be scouting not just the next generation of up and coming players, but up and coming coaches too.
All of this is more the issue than finance, certainly in terms of the amount. Particularly MM was happy with what he had in 2015, or if he wasn’t was just being Evans stooge and taking the money and bonuses he was on quietly. I actually think he was being genuine, Jim after all having been given mid season cash when Evans first took over, spent it and only succeeding in upsetting the balance of what was a slowly improving team on the edge of the playoffs, Mick at that point may not have wanted the same to happen.
It’s also been Evans approach to transfers and his inflexibility to get anywhere near other clubs evaluations over the years, particularly in MMs era, that has also brought us up short, rather than a specific reigning in of expenditure until more recently.
The alarming thing for me post Hurst was Marcus saying he wants to get more directly involved in the day to day running of the club, which didn’t suggest things would improve.

Agreed,

I've said this before, there's very little infrastructure in place.

All of our managers end up looking beleaguered due to having to run the whole club rather than just getting on and managing the team.

I get the impression that there's loads of behind the scenes distractions.

Login to get fewer ads

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:12 - Mar 1 with 3233 viewsOxford_Blue

I think your analysis is very simplistic and flawed.

Evans doesn’t pick the team and he doesn’t play any games.

He has selected a number of managers all of whom were reasonable choices at the time they were appointed, and the first three of whom he back with significant resources. That is all any owner could do. They all let him down.

He has stopped making significant sums available to managers now, but given the other teams around us don’t have much money either then that isn’t causative of our malaise. The wage bill is one of the biggest in the league and Lambert has a squad that should be capable of getting in the top six. The failure is Lambert’s and the team’s.

I do think it would be better for a different owner to be in place because Evans’ project has clearly failed and his relationship with the fans isn’t good. But a new owner could make the same decisions, appoint other managers who were reasonable choices, and still fail. The game has moved on since we were last in the premiership. There is still a naivety and arrogance within the fan base that expects us to be a top championship or lower premiership team.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 9:16]
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:14 - Mar 1 with 3218 viewsitfcjoe

It’s not about who the biggest problem is, it is a out what can be done about the problems we do have.

We can’t sack the owner, we can’t fine a new one - only he can decide that and even if he does will be a long slow process.

The manager, who is failing, can be changed and we can roll the dice again

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:15 - Mar 1 with 3196 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:04 - Mar 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Out of interest...

We're you against the PL appointment at the time?

Can you back that up with posts from the time?

I wasn't happy with the PL appointment at first due to the Norwich connection but thought he'd do an alright job in League 1 and was glad to see the club reengaging with fans like reestablishing the community trust for example (wonder who's idea it was to scrap it in the first place?). I can't back it up with posts I'm afraid as I wasn't posting on here at the time.

It is however largely irrelevant who the manger is. My point being that any manager who comes here will operate under the auspices of Marcus Evans meaning that long-term success is impossible. I'm beginning to think that Paul Hurst may have been onto something when he said that the culture of the club was wrong and its structures were way below what can be reasonably expected. Either way, Marcus Evans is responsible for all of this.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:17 - Mar 1 with 3180 viewsOxford_Blue

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 08:58 - Mar 1 by sparks

Agreed. The analysis in the OP doesn’t explain or demonstrate why choices by Evans were unreasonable when made in the case of managers or how they caused bad performances in the case of off the field management.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:18 - Mar 1 with 3166 viewsOxford_Blue

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:15 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

I wasn't happy with the PL appointment at first due to the Norwich connection but thought he'd do an alright job in League 1 and was glad to see the club reengaging with fans like reestablishing the community trust for example (wonder who's idea it was to scrap it in the first place?). I can't back it up with posts I'm afraid as I wasn't posting on here at the time.

It is however largely irrelevant who the manger is. My point being that any manager who comes here will operate under the auspices of Marcus Evans meaning that long-term success is impossible. I'm beginning to think that Paul Hurst may have been onto something when he said that the culture of the club was wrong and its structures were way below what can be reasonably expected. Either way, Marcus Evans is responsible for all of this.

If it’s irrelevant who the manager is then why ask for Lambert to be sacked?

And given we have one of the largest wage bills in the league, and clubs around and above us do better with less support from their owners, this suggests that it’s the management and team that matters In football which is hardly a revelation.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:20 - Mar 1 with 3156 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:14 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

It’s not about who the biggest problem is, it is a out what can be done about the problems we do have.

We can’t sack the owner, we can’t fine a new one - only he can decide that and even if he does will be a long slow process.

The manager, who is failing, can be changed and we can roll the dice again

So are you claiming that fan pressure (either by staying away or actively protesting) can change nothing? We know Evans has had offers for the club and has turned them down. What is it exactly that's keeping him here? There's not going to any ROI or any further opportunity to make the 'marcus evans' brand more well-known. Who the manager is is largely irrelevant for the reasons I have already mentioned.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:22 - Mar 1 with 3137 viewsOxford_Blue

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:07 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

The ''end result'' is ITFC are languishing in mid-table in League One. Whatever 'strategies' were or weren't agreed have evidently not worked. And if you think Clegg and Milne were good at their jobs then god help you.

That comment simply states the problem (which we all agree on). It doesn’t demonstrate why Evans is responsible for it or why his decisions were unreasonable and caused the players to play poorly.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:23 - Mar 1 with 3113 viewssparks

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:20 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

So are you claiming that fan pressure (either by staying away or actively protesting) can change nothing? We know Evans has had offers for the club and has turned them down. What is it exactly that's keeping him here? There's not going to any ROI or any further opportunity to make the 'marcus evans' brand more well-known. Who the manager is is largely irrelevant for the reasons I have already mentioned.

Tell us about these offers.

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:26 - Mar 1 with 3101 viewsOxford_Blue

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:20 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

You assuming that any offer is a good offer and that simply selling to anyone would put us in a better position. You haven’t offered any evidence or tried to demonstrate how this would be the case - may be it would, but given what’s happened before when fans have demanded changes (MM for instance) i don’t think it’s a reliable means to ensure progress.

You would need to wait until a responsible buyer came forward, with a sustainable plan and vision and funds, then if Evans refused to sell I guess some pressure could be exerted.

I think he wants to make the project work. He’s a driven and highly successful individual who has built up a very strong business from scratch and he wants to see things through with Ipswich.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:27 - Mar 1 with 3093 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:18 - Mar 1 by Oxford_Blue

If it’s irrelevant who the manager is then why ask for Lambert to be sacked?

And given we have one of the largest wage bills in the league, and clubs around and above us do better with less support from their owners, this suggests that it’s the management and team that matters In football which is hardly a revelation.

I'm not particularly bothered whether Lambert is sacked or not. Whoever replaces him may well do better in League 1, but then what? Even SBR would struggle to make ITFC competitive in the Championship, let alone some run-of-the-mill manager who we would get. Best we can hope for under Evans is to be a yo-yo Championship/League One club ala Barnsley and Rotherham. If you and others are happy to accept that then just say it. I personally think ITFC can and should be better than that. If that makes me 'entitled' then fine.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:28 - Mar 1 with 3083 viewsdissboy2

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:02 - Mar 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think everyone realises that Evans is a big problem, I assume you have seen the many posts.

But that also stems from the fact that the structure of football is f*cked! 90% of fans are unhappy with their owners.

I'm sure Evans must massively regret ever buying Ipswich.

90%? based on what?
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:31 - Mar 1 with 3061 viewssparks

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:27 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

I'm not particularly bothered whether Lambert is sacked or not. Whoever replaces him may well do better in League 1, but then what? Even SBR would struggle to make ITFC competitive in the Championship, let alone some run-of-the-mill manager who we would get. Best we can hope for under Evans is to be a yo-yo Championship/League One club ala Barnsley and Rotherham. If you and others are happy to accept that then just say it. I personally think ITFC can and should be better than that. If that makes me 'entitled' then fine.

What do you think an owner needs to do that Evan's does not in order to avoid being a rotherham type yoyo club?

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:31 - Mar 1 with 3060 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:26 - Mar 1 by Oxford_Blue

You assuming that any offer is a good offer and that simply selling to anyone would put us in a better position. You haven’t offered any evidence or tried to demonstrate how this would be the case - may be it would, but given what’s happened before when fans have demanded changes (MM for instance) i don’t think it’s a reliable means to ensure progress.

You would need to wait until a responsible buyer came forward, with a sustainable plan and vision and funds, then if Evans refused to sell I guess some pressure could be exerted.

I think he wants to make the project work. He’s a driven and highly successful individual who has built up a very strong business from scratch and he wants to see things through with Ipswich.

''He’s a driven and highly successful individual who has built up a very strong business from scratch and he wants to see things through with Ipswich.''

Hello Marcus.
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:32 - Mar 1 with 3052 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:28 - Mar 1 by dissboy2

90%? based on what?

Just a hunch love, could be 80%.

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:33 - Mar 1 with 3035 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:15 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

So your blame for bad decisions is based on hindsight.

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:34 - Mar 1 with 3032 viewsOxford_Blue

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:31 - Mar 1 by Doctor_Earman

''He’s a driven and highly successful individual who has built up a very strong business from scratch and he wants to see things through with Ipswich.''

Hello Marcus.

He’s worth nearly £1bn. He’s achieved that from scratch.

I’d suggest that indicates someone with drive and determination wouldn’t you?
Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:35 - Mar 1 with 3022 viewsDoctor_Earman

Why can't some people realise Evans is the main problem? on 09:33 - Mar 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

So your blame for bad decisions is based on hindsight.

No.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024