Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus 08:22 - Mar 2 with 3792 viewsallezlesbleus

I live in Normandy and my 18 year old daughter has been told she can't attend "college" this week, because we went on holiday to Portugal two weeks ago. Her twin brother at a different school didn't get told to stay away and neither did my 16 year old daughter, who is at another school.

I believe 4 Brits returned home from the French Alps a couple of weeks ago with the virus and this morning there has been 9 cases confirmed in Morbihan, Brittany, which is only around 100 miles from where we live. Yet the advice that this school is giving out is if you have been on holiday anywhere outside of France, then you can't go to school for 2 weeks, yet if you have been skiing in the French Alps, or on holiday in Brittany, that is fine.

Whilst I can understand the arguments for trying to keep "person to person" contamination at a minimum, surely it needs to be organised better than this?

Has any TWTD's experienced any restrictions yet?
Coronavirus on 08:34 - Mar 2 with 3410 viewsElephantintheRoom

We are lucky in the UK - we have Boris Johnson chairing the 'Cobra Committee' today. So deep is the thinking in this august group that they are preparing to issue a 'work from home' command....whilst asking what is left of the military to work away from home.

Still no flu stats coming out from anywhere in the world.... when all this is done and dusted I suspect the increased vigilance of the the elderly and vulnerable getting 'flu-like symptoms' will have produced a massive reduction in mortality.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Coronavirus on 08:50 - Mar 2 with 3365 viewsPinewoodblue

Six year old granddaughter was telling me all about coronavirus yesterday her class having been shown a video at school. She explained that she sees lots of people who have it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Coronavirus on 09:01 - Mar 2 with 3331 viewsFrimleyBlue

I work in Normandy. The Surrey version

We have a work colleague about to travel to Italy. He's been told when he's back he has to work in an office on his own for two weeks.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 9:04]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Coronavirus on 09:06 - Mar 2 with 3298 viewsBrianTablet

Coronavirus on 08:34 - Mar 2 by ElephantintheRoom

We are lucky in the UK - we have Boris Johnson chairing the 'Cobra Committee' today. So deep is the thinking in this august group that they are preparing to issue a 'work from home' command....whilst asking what is left of the military to work away from home.

Still no flu stats coming out from anywhere in the world.... when all this is done and dusted I suspect the increased vigilance of the the elderly and vulnerable getting 'flu-like symptoms' will have produced a massive reduction in mortality.

As Confucius used to tell his Granny, 'Man who use snake to kill microscopic virus not use snake in right way.'

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Coronavirus on 09:25 - Mar 2 with 3250 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like a pretty ridiculous stance given Portugal has far less cases than France.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Coronavirus on 10:15 - Mar 2 with 3151 viewsWestover

Coronavirus on 09:25 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

Sounds like a pretty ridiculous stance given Portugal has far less cases than France.

SB

I live in the Algarve and as far as I know we don't have any conformed cases yet.
Coronavirus on 10:20 - Mar 2 with 3138 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus on 10:15 - Mar 2 by Westover

I live in the Algarve and as far as I know we don't have any conformed cases yet.

Although the key word there if confirmed. It takes weeks to show symptoms and people are contagious before they do. The number of infected globally is likely far higher than the official numbers.

Testing also takes days for each person.

SB

Coronavirus on 10:57 - Mar 2 with 3080 viewsGuthrum

Coronavirus on 10:20 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

Although the key word there if confirmed. It takes weeks to show symptoms and people are contagious before they do. The number of infected globally is likely far higher than the official numbers.

SB

Precisely this.

There is some suspicion that the incubation period for Covid-19 is actually longer than 14 days, so by the time you have confirmed cases, it is far too late.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus on 11:08 - Mar 2 with 3055 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus on 10:57 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

Precisely this.

There is some suspicion that the incubation period for Covid-19 is actually longer than 14 days, so by the time you have confirmed cases, it is far too late.

Indeed.

They need a way to perform fast testing on huge numbers but both are unlikely at the moment.

SB

Coronavirus on 11:16 - Mar 2 with 3025 viewsDebsyAngel

Coronavirus on 10:20 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

SB

I am terrified I will get it. This useless government could have stopped ALL travel into and out of this country and then it could have been contained. There is no need to travel for work - do they still not do video conferences and of course Skype now? Business could still be done. I hate how some people (the fit and young) are treating this as a joke. As people on here know, I have been ill over a year now and no doctor has a clue what is wrong with me. I get sore throats and sneezing and feel so weak every single day - how am I meant to know if I have this virus from someone I have shared the bus or a train with in the last few weeks? Or that person next to you in a shop queue who is coughing everywhere hasn't got this? This vaccine they are testing is going to take months to get the green light and by then it maybe too late for old or chronically ill people. I feel like I am going to be imprisoned in my home, and never able to even go up town or get to matches etc now. I am sure people will have a good laugh at this. People don;t ask to have a weak immune system.
Coronavirus on 11:17 - Mar 2 with 3014 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus on 10:15 - Mar 2 by Westover

Two reported today.

2023 year of destiny

Coronavirus on 11:19 - Mar 2 with 3008 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus on 11:16 - Mar 2 by DebsyAngel

I am terrified I will get it. This useless government could have stopped ALL travel into and out of this country and then it could have been contained. There is no need to travel for work - do they still not do video conferences and of course Skype now? Business could still be done. I hate how some people (the fit and young) are treating this as a joke. As people on here know, I have been ill over a year now and no doctor has a clue what is wrong with me. I get sore throats and sneezing and feel so weak every single day - how am I meant to know if I have this virus from someone I have shared the bus or a train with in the last few weeks? Or that person next to you in a shop queue who is coughing everywhere hasn't got this? This vaccine they are testing is going to take months to get the green light and by then it maybe too late for old or chronically ill people. I feel like I am going to be imprisoned in my home, and never able to even go up town or get to matches etc now. I am sure people will have a good laugh at this. People don;t ask to have a weak immune system.

"This useless government could have stopped ALL travel into and out of this country and then it could have been contained."

Nobody is going to laugh at your circumstances but you also have to understand that whilst being worried what you are suggesting isn't really a viable way forward. I am sure you know that deep down but are just worried.

SB
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 11:20]

Coronavirus on 11:21 - Mar 2 with 2994 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus on 11:17 - Mar 2 by Pinewoodblue

Two reported today.

Those were in Porto. Quite a long way from the Algarve but it's getting to the point that it's basically everywhere anyway.

Reported confirmed cases are about 2 weeks behind when people actually got it.

SB

Coronavirus on 11:32 - Mar 2 with 2953 viewsDebsyAngel

Coronavirus on 11:19 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

"This useless government could have stopped ALL travel into and out of this country and then it could have been contained."

Nobody is going to laugh at your circumstances but you also have to understand that whilst being worried what you are suggesting isn't really a viable way forward. I am sure you know that deep down but are just worried.

SB
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 11:20]

Maybe you are right Stokie, I have terrible anxiety and never being well just pours fuel on the fire. I know some on here laugh at me and roll their eyes, but I wish I was fit and well then I would not worry so much.
Coronavirus on 11:39 - Mar 2 with 2934 viewsgiant_stow

Coronavirus on 11:32 - Mar 2 by DebsyAngel

Maybe you are right Stokie, I have terrible anxiety and never being well just pours fuel on the fire. I know some on here laugh at me and roll their eyes, but I wish I was fit and well then I would not worry so much.

Don't put yourself down - it's natural to worry about this. I'm concerned aboiut a freind with a weak immune system, but there are steps you and her can take to minimise the risks at least.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Coronavirus on 11:41 - Mar 2 with 2926 viewsitfcjoe

Is it not easier for you to self-isolate if concerned then for the all travel to and from the country to be stopped?

I appreciate it isn't ideal, but bringing down the global travel business isn't exactly simple

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Coronavirus on 11:49 - Mar 2 with 2908 viewsGuthrum

By the time we knew it was a serious problem, it may well already have been too late to simply close the (air)ports.

There is no vaccine, but what is making promising progress is the testing of antiretoviral drugs, derived from those used to treat HIV, which are showing some signs of success as a treatment. Plus it should be ready sooner.

Coronavirus on 11:50 - Mar 2 with 2901 viewsDebsyAngel

Coronavirus on 11:41 - Mar 2 by itfcjoe

Is it not easier for you to self-isolate if concerned then for the all travel to and from the country to be stopped?

I appreciate it isn't ideal, but bringing down the global travel business isn't exactly simple

I don;t go out much as it is - only medical appointments, home matches (and that has become less lately), and into town once a week for shopping.
Coronavirus on 11:53 - Mar 2 with 2883 viewsDeano69

Useful site for those concerned - https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html?fbclid=IwAR1VWmVe5M2w

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Coronavirus on 11:57 - Mar 2 with 2859 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus on 11:49 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

By the time we knew it was a serious problem, it may well already have been too late to simply close the (air)ports.

There is no vaccine, but what is making promising progress is the testing of antiretoviral drugs, derived from those used to treat HIV, which are showing some signs of success as a treatment. Plus it should be ready sooner.

Instead of stopping all travel we need to question if self isolation is sufficient. Everyone advised to self isolate really ought to be tested but doubt we have the capability.

2023 year of destiny

Coronavirus on 12:02 - Mar 2 with 2830 viewsGuthrum

Coronavirus on 11:57 - Mar 2 by Pinewoodblue

Instead of stopping all travel we need to question if self isolation is sufficient. Everyone advised to self isolate really ought to be tested but doubt we have the capability.

We don't have the capability. There is not yet a quick test.

Coronavirus on 12:15 - Mar 2 with 2800 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus on 12:02 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

We don't have the capability. There is not yet a quick test.

We are testing more people than they are in US

2023 year of destiny

Coronavirus on 12:21 - Mar 2 with 2766 viewsGuthrum

Coronavirus on 12:15 - Mar 2 by Pinewoodblue

We are testing more people than they are in US

That says more about the USA than us!

Coronavirus on 12:28 - Mar 2 with 2739 viewsallezlesbleus

The main point of my original post was the lack of clarity. Surely it would make more sense for the French (in my case) government to issue a notice to all schools in the country (or at least specific regions) rather than 1 school saying this and the next 1 saying something different.

Since my earlier post, I have received a text from my son's school saying that pupils who have visited "high risk areas" must stay away.
Coronavirus on 14:17 - Mar 2 with 2598 viewsWestover

I've just taken my other half to Faro Airport, she will be in the UK from between 4 and 6 weeks looking after her daughter who had an operation, so a bit of a worry as to weather she will be able to get back as who knows what's going to happen in the next few weeks ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024