Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's our fascination with touchline possession? 09:10 - Mar 2 with 686 viewsDarth_Koont

This hasn't just happened versus Blackpool but in many games this season. We have a habit in possession of getting the ball out to the touchline and then having three or four players work it around in a tight area. That sounds fine but it always slows down the attack and lets defenders get back into position. And the best outcome is that we win a throw-in.

It got me particularly frustrated on Saturday. Especially with Bishop wide on the right and seemingly squeezed out by the defence. He tried to cut inside a few times but was invariably crowded out.

If we're going to do that and drag in defenders then surely we should be looking to switch play and quickly exploit any space? But we almost never do.

Seems to me that playing at that slow tempo in such a tight area is just handing the initiative over to the other team. I'm also struggling to think of any other side that does it as much as Ipswich Town 2019-20.

Pronouns: He/Him

It's a valid point..... on 09:17 - Mar 2 with 651 viewsBloots

.....and one that's made worse by the position on the pitch that we work it out wide to.

It's invariably halfway into our own half.

There was a match earlier in the season (can't remember which one, they have all faded into one stinking pile of crap) where we were getting it out wide so deep that the only options were to pass it back to the centre backs or play that hopeless curled ball down the line. In the second half we shifted everything forward 30 yards and the difference was huge.

The general point about tempo is the biggest issue though.

We are so slow in both thought and deed, it's embarrassing.

Inevitably all these sorts of issues come down to tactics and coaching, an area where we are sadly lacking.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

It's a valid point..... on 09:21 - Mar 2 with 636 viewsMetal_Hacker

It's a valid point..... on 09:17 - Mar 2 by Bloots

.....and one that's made worse by the position on the pitch that we work it out wide to.

It's invariably halfway into our own half.

There was a match earlier in the season (can't remember which one, they have all faded into one stinking pile of crap) where we were getting it out wide so deep that the only options were to pass it back to the centre backs or play that hopeless curled ball down the line. In the second half we shifted everything forward 30 yards and the difference was huge.

The general point about tempo is the biggest issue though.

We are so slow in both thought and deed, it's embarrassing.

Inevitably all these sorts of issues come down to tactics and coaching, an area where we are sadly lacking.

Absolutely agree but you can't polish a turd

You can make a player act and play in a certain manner but when it comes to the quality of that style or manner it all depends on that individuals self ability .

Totally agree where you're coming from but perhaps the players at PL's disposal are not quite as good as we all think / thought ?

That said I still maintain PL's time is most definitely up

Poll: If it were one or the other

I'm under no illusions that our players.... on 09:34 - Mar 2 with 613 viewsBloots

It's a valid point..... on 09:21 - Mar 2 by Metal_Hacker

You can make a player act and play in a certain manner but when it comes to the quality of that style or manner it all depends on that individuals self ability .

Totally agree where you're coming from but perhaps the players at PL's disposal are not quite as good as we all think / thought ?

....are nowhere near as good as some pundits/journos/fans think they are.

But the principle that a teams ability can be greater than the sum of it's parts was one that we lived by for many years.

We should still be able to live with squads like Rotherham, Wycombe, Coventry, Oxford, Fleetwood, etc and we just aren't.

Get the basics right and all that.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

It's a valid point..... on 09:57 - Mar 2 with 567 viewsitfcjoe

It's a valid point..... on 09:21 - Mar 2 by Metal_Hacker

There was an interesting point from the Barrow manager about this, as that is how they play:

“The first training session, we couldn’t string three or four passes together; it was frantic,” Evatt says. “But then, six weeks later, we’re scoring goals when it’s 24 or 25 passes.”

Evatt brought in players who were comfortable on the ball and then it was all about training how they play by working on possession-based drills, passing combinations and repetitive shadow play exercises. Coaching, in other words. “I spend a lot of time studying Pep’s methods and training sessions, and other people that play a similar style and philosophy to us,” Evatt says.

Within the National League, managers and clubs have generally been very complimentary about the way that Barrow play. Yet there is also some curious post-match feedback at times that leaves Evatt and Atherton slightly baffled.

“When you go and speak to some managers, they say: ‘We’d love to play how you play but I haven’t got the players.’ Hang on a minute, your budget is three times what mine is – if you want to play football, recruit footballers. It’s that simple. Then coach them. Teach them. Improve them,” Evatt says.

“I don’t believe there are any footballers brought up to be physical, play for set pieces, direct. Nobody sets out to play that way. People do it because they think it gets them results. It might be OK for some teams and some managers to put up with that. I couldn’t sleep at night if I was going about trying to win football matches that way. I want my teams to be possession-based, attacking and free-scoring.”

Our players are good enough to pass and move in this league, that they don't is down to a number of factors but coaching a key one for me

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It's a valid point..... on 10:50 - Mar 2 with 502 viewsHullblue

It's a valid point..... on 09:57 - Mar 2 by itfcjoe

There was an interesting point from the Barrow manager about this, as that is how they play:

“The first training session, we couldn’t string three or four passes together; it was frantic,” Evatt says. “But then, six weeks later, we’re scoring goals when it’s 24 or 25 passes.”

Evatt brought in players who were comfortable on the ball and then it was all about training how they play by working on possession-based drills, passing combinations and repetitive shadow play exercises. Coaching, in other words. “I spend a lot of time studying Pep’s methods and training sessions, and other people that play a similar style and philosophy to us,” Evatt says.

Within the National League, managers and clubs have generally been very complimentary about the way that Barrow play. Yet there is also some curious post-match feedback at times that leaves Evatt and Atherton slightly baffled.

“When you go and speak to some managers, they say: ‘We’d love to play how you play but I haven’t got the players.’ Hang on a minute, your budget is three times what mine is – if you want to play football, recruit footballers. It’s that simple. Then coach them. Teach them. Improve them,” Evatt says.

“I don’t believe there are any footballers brought up to be physical, play for set pieces, direct. Nobody sets out to play that way. People do it because they think it gets them results. It might be OK for some teams and some managers to put up with that. I couldn’t sleep at night if I was going about trying to win football matches that way. I want my teams to be possession-based, attacking and free-scoring.”

Our players are good enough to pass and move in this league, that they don't is down to a number of factors but coaching a key one for me

I’m sold - let’s nick him. They’re top of the league too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024