Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) 10:23 - Mar 2 with 7686 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:15 - Mar 2 with 2368 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:08 - Mar 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

We are allowed to discuss separate players in separate posts.

However, to appease you;

Do we release everyone this summer?

You suggested Skuse and Chambers should go as they have been mainstays of our worst period in some time - I simply responded that it was odd to single them out in that vein as others had been regulars during that period too, and those two were at least also here whilst we were half decent

Didn’t really think it was that complex a point

And no clearly not - as that would obviously be mental. However if you were to ask who we should release, which is a much better discussion point, I would suggest that of those who’s contracts expire in the Summer (if the EADT list I’m looking at is correct) Skuse, Donacien, Roberts and Rowe should all be waved out the door. Sears has until the end of the season to prove he can be a regular, Edwards we should probably try and keep on a favourable deal and I’d probably keep Kenlock around as backup on the basis he’ll no doubt be cheap. Dobra and Dozzell we should obviously do what we can to keep/take options

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:18 - Mar 2 with 2360 viewsChrisd

Yep, it's time to move them both on.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:20 - Mar 2 with 2347 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:15 - Mar 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You suggested Skuse and Chambers should go as they have been mainstays of our worst period in some time - I simply responded that it was odd to single them out in that vein as others had been regulars during that period too, and those two were at least also here whilst we were half decent

Didn’t really think it was that complex a point

And no clearly not - as that would obviously be mental. However if you were to ask who we should release, which is a much better discussion point, I would suggest that of those who’s contracts expire in the Summer (if the EADT list I’m looking at is correct) Skuse, Donacien, Roberts and Rowe should all be waved out the door. Sears has until the end of the season to prove he can be a regular, Edwards we should probably try and keep on a favourable deal and I’d probably keep Kenlock around as backup on the basis he’ll no doubt be cheap. Dobra and Dozzell we should obviously do what we can to keep/take options

No, I was only interested in Skuse and Chambers.

I didnt leave it open, as I didnt want the thread to get too off topic.

Thanks though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:22 - Mar 2 with 2336 viewsGuthrum

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 10:41 - Mar 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Swings and round abouts.

If Chambers left that would free up funds for a replacement who could claim his shirt.

Slight problem with that. Chambers has a year left on his contract, so we'd have to pay that off to release him. It would free up wages, but cost us elsewhere.

Plus we might be able to offer a decent wage, but not a lot in transfer fees.

Finally (and this is just an incidental question, not a hard reason not to do it), who would you make Captain in his place?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:23 - Mar 2 with 2334 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:20 - Mar 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

No, I was only interested in Skuse and Chambers.

I didnt leave it open, as I didnt want the thread to get too off topic.

Thanks though.

So in summary you were singling them out then

Glad we got there in the end

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

#mickout, innit (n/t) on 11:27 - Mar 2 with 2320 viewsBloots

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 10:34 - Mar 2 by DanTheMan

What is with everyone's obsession with Skuse and Chambers?

Skuse is barely playing, but could see him being either kept around as cheap backup or a coach.

Chambers plays because he's better than the other centre-backs we have. If we were to buy better centrebacks, he probably wouldn't play or would play less. As far as I'm aware, we haven't got another Woolfenden waiting in the wings who Chambers is stopping from playing.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mick Out! (n/t) on 11:27 - Mar 2 with 2320 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:45 - Mar 2 with 2288 viewsNotSure

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 10:34 - Mar 2 by DanTheMan

Skuse is barely playing, but could see him being either kept around as cheap backup or a coach.

Chambers plays because he's better than the other centre-backs we have. If we were to buy better centrebacks, he probably wouldn't play or would play less. As far as I'm aware, we haven't got another Woolfenden waiting in the wings who Chambers is stopping from playing.

For me it is more their dressing room influence rather than their performances.
I think they need to go.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 12:02 - Mar 2 with 2271 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 11:23 - Mar 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So in summary you were singling them out then

Glad we got there in the end

Nope, merely asking a question.

Allowing both positive and negative answers.

Nothing to see.

Mick Out! (n/t) on 12:04 - Mar 2 with 2269 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mick Out! (n/t) on 11:27 - Mar 2 by Bloots

Who?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 12:49 - Mar 2 with 2239 viewsDoctor_Earman

Both players continue to perpetuate the mediocrity at the club. They are a small part of the problem with the malaise the club is in. For that reason they need to move on - that means completely i.e. no coaching role or whatever. Unfortunately Chambers has another year on his contract (another daft decision by our wonderful owner Marcus Evans), and no other club would be willing to take a 34/35 year old on big wage (for League 1 standards anyway). Truth is we're probably stuck with him for another year at least. Skuse should be released at the end of the season without question.
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 13:20 - Mar 2 with 2208 viewsBlueBadger

Mick bought one of them, played both of them a lot and generally spoke well of them?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 13:32 - Mar 2 with 2190 viewsSwansea_Blue

Scuse increasingly peripheral, so for me it's a thank you and good luck.

Chambo I'd keep for continuity, but we obviously need to be looking hard at succession there.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 14:10 - Mar 2 with 2171 viewshaynes_toe1

Can't see Skuse staying but assuming we're still in League One next season we stand very little chance of attracting someone better than Chambers.

If he hadn't played for Ipswich and just had a career in the Champs, nearly signed by forest not that long ago and we were interested in him in the summer people would be desperate for us to sign him up and likely regard it as a bit of a coup.
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 14:23 - Mar 2 with 2159 viewsBeckets

They’ll probably be our management team next season. Evans likes a cheap option. Supported by an experienced coach...Colin Calderwood who Chambers knows from his Northampton and Forest days.
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 14:51 - Mar 2 with 2136 viewsHerbivore

I'd let Skuse go, we have tons of CMs and he's no longer first choice. Chambers is still plenty good enough and in the side on merit and is just about our only natural leader.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 15:37 - Mar 2 with 2123 viewshampstead_blue

Yes.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 15:50 - Mar 2 with 2107 viewsChrisd

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 14:51 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

I'd let Skuse go, we have tons of CMs and he's no longer first choice. Chambers is still plenty good enough and in the side on merit and is just about our only natural leader.

He needs to do more of the leadership because I don't see much of that going on. He's in the side because what are the alternatives? CB is a priority signing or signings for the manager in the summer and they need to be with pedigree.

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 16:05 - Mar 2 with 2092 viewsHerbivore

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 15:50 - Mar 2 by Chrisd

He needs to do more of the leadership because I don't see much of that going on. He's in the side because what are the alternatives? CB is a priority signing or signings for the manager in the summer and they need to be with pedigree.

He does plenty of leadership, unfortunately not many others take responsibility it seems. Even Skuse is far too quiet and many other senior pros in the team aren't talkers. You need more than one leader. Chambers is in the side on merit and he's perfectly capable at this level. Our defence remains one of the best in the league, it's at the other end we've struggled more. And lol at the idea of signing a CB with pedigree when we're a skint League 1 side.

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 16:47 - Mar 2 with 2058 viewsChrisd

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 16:05 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

He does plenty of leadership, unfortunately not many others take responsibility it seems. Even Skuse is far too quiet and many other senior pros in the team aren't talkers. You need more than one leader. Chambers is in the side on merit and he's perfectly capable at this level. Our defence remains one of the best in the league, it's at the other end we've struggled more. And lol at the idea of signing a CB with pedigree when we're a skint League 1 side.

He really doesn't. Woolfenden needed to be guided through this season, he's having to learn by himself as those around him can't do their own jobs. As CBs go, we've got Wilson that doesn't like heading the ball and Chambers who allows the ball to bounce far too much and both get out-muscled. Organising, well forget that. Any half decent CB would be a better option. Chambers might be there on merit, that's because we haven't got anyone else. For having the biggest budget in the league supposedly, we've wasted that on a lot of average. I see Peterborough didn't pay a fee for Mark Beevers, that's a pedigree CB for this league. They are out there, but we keep signing the duds.

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 17:04 - Mar 2 with 2035 viewsHerbivore

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 16:47 - Mar 2 by Chrisd

He really doesn't. Woolfenden needed to be guided through this season, he's having to learn by himself as those around him can't do their own jobs. As CBs go, we've got Wilson that doesn't like heading the ball and Chambers who allows the ball to bounce far too much and both get out-muscled. Organising, well forget that. Any half decent CB would be a better option. Chambers might be there on merit, that's because we haven't got anyone else. For having the biggest budget in the league supposedly, we've wasted that on a lot of average. I see Peterborough didn't pay a fee for Mark Beevers, that's a pedigree CB for this league. They are out there, but we keep signing the duds.

Yeah, I disagree.

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 17:28 - Mar 2 with 2010 viewsMeltonBlue

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 17:04 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

Yeah, I disagree.

Think I heard someone say that the last time we won when skuse started was Rochdale away! Not sure if that os true but he has reminded me of Douglas this season.. Need energy in the Middle of the park.. Good servant but time for him to either move on or retire and be a coach.

Chambers.. Fade him out and makes Downes captain. (if he stays which he won't)
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 18:17 - Mar 2 with 1979 viewsPJH

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 17:28 - Mar 2 by MeltonBlue

Think I heard someone say that the last time we won when skuse started was Rochdale away! Not sure if that os true but he has reminded me of Douglas this season.. Need energy in the Middle of the park.. Good servant but time for him to either move on or retire and be a coach.

That is true about Skuse but we have hardly won any since then anyway.

He also started every one of the nine league games that we won before the Rochdale game.

So to sum up Skuse has started the vast majority of the games that we have won this season.
Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 18:18 - Mar 2 with 1975 viewsHerbivore

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 17:28 - Mar 2 by MeltonBlue

It's not much of a plan to make a player who won't be here our captain, mate.

Do we release Skuse and Chambers this summer? (n/t) on 18:49 - Mar 2 with 1967 viewstpsontour

Why release the only remaining players of an established Championship side that achieved four top half finishes under five seasons under Mick.

They may be ageing but they still have enough quality and experience to be playing at third tier level.

Start by releasing the tat that wasn't anywhere near Championship level and can't even do a job for a side with League One promotion aspirations - Nsiala, Donacien, Roberts, Rowe.

Next nearest the exit door ought to be those that have underwhelmed in both leagues - Kenlock, Edwards, Nolan.

Given Evans will now be trying to limit his losses by mainly signing only League Two players to supplement Academy products, I'd suggest Chambers and Skuse will still be comfortably better in their mid 30s than most of the newcomers we have to look forward to in the future.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024