Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday 10:31 - Mar 2 with 994 viewsHullblue

1) Bishop playing wide right. We all know he’s a hell of a player but that’s just not his position. We lacked width as a result and got bogged down out there.

If we’d have started Dobra or Edwards instead of Skuse, Bish could have played as a number 10 and we’d have looked more dangerous. Skuse played well but do we really need to be that conservative?

2) Knocking it 70 yards from every free kick. I can just about understand us doing this in open play for the first 10 minutes, but treating every free kick like it’s an opportunity to get the ball in the box seems insane given the players we have available.

The only big player in the forward line is Will Keane, and he’s a small player in a big player’s body. Instead of taking it quickly we give them time to settle before pumping it at their CBs’ heads. It’s ridiculous. Can anyone see any logic in that?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:36 - Mar 2 with 960 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Didn't think selection was a problem Saturday, thought Bishop looked rusty to be honest but is more than capable of playing on the right. Would do a lot better with KVY behind him though as would probably allow him to drift to a more inside right midfielder with KVY overlapping.

Thought Woolfenden was poor on Saturday.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:41 - Mar 2 with 947 viewsitfcjoe

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:36 - Mar 2 by TheTrueBlue1878

Didn't think selection was a problem Saturday, thought Bishop looked rusty to be honest but is more than capable of playing on the right. Would do a lot better with KVY behind him though as would probably allow him to drift to a more inside right midfielder with KVY overlapping.

Woolfenden has had a bad few weeks which seems to have gone unnoticed.

I think he would be much better having another year here to really kick on next season as fear he may leave too early this summer - whereas Downes looks ready to go now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:41 - Mar 2 with 940 viewsHullblue

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:36 - Mar 2 by TheTrueBlue1878

Yeah that definitely would have helped - but he wasn’t available so we had a CM and a CB covering our right hand side. Even switching Sears and Bish over so the right had some degree of natural width would have helped. Then Garbutt could have overlapped and Woolfenden could have played a bit more conservatively. Agree Woolfie wasn’t brilliant but we asked too much of him imo - he’s never going to be a flying full back.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:44 - Mar 2 with 921 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:41 - Mar 2 by itfcjoe

Woolfenden has had a bad few weeks which seems to have gone unnoticed.

I think he would be much better having another year here to really kick on next season as fear he may leave too early this summer - whereas Downes looks ready to go now

I have noticed them, and there was another poster that mentioned it about a week ago (don't know who it was), who similarly stated another year here would probably do him good.

He is clearly a Central Defender, and overall has had a good year and has come on a lot, but I agree needs another year.

Downes is ready now, but it has to be for the correct figure. Out of curiosity, as I know you are one of the more knowledgeable posters, what would you take for Flynn?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 10:45]

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:55 - Mar 2 with 858 viewsitfcjoe

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:44 - Mar 2 by TheTrueBlue1878

I have noticed them, and there was another poster that mentioned it about a week ago (don't know who it was), who similarly stated another year here would probably do him good.

He is clearly a Central Defender, and overall has had a good year and has come on a lot, but I agree needs another year.

Downes is ready now, but it has to be for the correct figure. Out of curiosity, as I know you are one of the more knowledgeable posters, what would you take for Flynn?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 10:45]

Hard to know, Coventry got £3.5m for their full back they've just sold to Norwich and Matt Clarke was £3.5m when he went from Pompey to Brighton - both as L1 players so that should set the market to an extent.

That would be bottom end for me, hoping to push up to nearer £5m as he is an England youth international and has 2nd tier experience which neither of those 2 had.

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 11:07 - Mar 2 with 807 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 10:55 - Mar 2 by itfcjoe

Hard to know, Coventry got £3.5m for their full back they've just sold to Norwich and Matt Clarke was £3.5m when he went from Pompey to Brighton - both as L1 players so that should set the market to an extent.

That would be bottom end for me, hoping to push up to nearer £5m as he is an England youth international and has 2nd tier experience which neither of those 2 had.

Was that Sam McCallum, am I right in saying he is still with Coventry on loan?

£5m seems a reasonable figure with us being a League 1 club. Think James Justin left for £6m last year, think the record departing figure from a League 1 club is still Fabian Delph for 8.5m.

£5m would probably be a good figure.

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 11:29 - Mar 2 with 758 viewsitfcjoe

Couple of baffling tactical decisions from Lambert on Saturday on 11:07 - Mar 2 by TheTrueBlue1878

Was that Sam McCallum, am I right in saying he is still with Coventry on loan?

£5m seems a reasonable figure with us being a League 1 club. Think James Justin left for £6m last year, think the record departing figure from a League 1 club is still Fabian Delph for 8.5m.

£5m would probably be a good figure.

Yep, that is McCallum.

James Justin a hard one to benchmark against as Luton had been promoted sothere was (presumably) less pressure to sell and just by virtue of being a Championship player (on paper) may have inflated it

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024