Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The state of our squad! 10:01 - Mar 3 with 2918 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

GOALKEEPERS

Holy, Wright, Przybek

Holy as number one. Two keepers pushing on to become back-up, both of whom should be capable of covering if Holy is injured or suspended. If they aren’t then we need to bring in a back up keeper who is and allow one of them to leave.

DEFENDERS

Vincent-Young, *Woolfenden, *Garbutt

It appears certain Woolfenden will move on for good money and that Garbutt will have better options. This leaves us essentially needing a left-back and at least two centre halves. Chambers is a good back up but I do feel we need to ultimately move on from him now. We need to build. Chambers is not going to play in the Championship, which is where we need to get to, so we may as well start the rebuild now. This gives us a chance of signing two mobile, tall, physical centre-backs which every good team at this level seems to have and a left-back in the mould of KVY, someone who can defend and get forward.

MIDFIELDERS

Bishop, Lankester, *Downes, Dobra, Huws

The chances are Downes moves on also, which leaves Bishop and Huws, neither of whom can be relied on to stay fit, Lankester coming back from a long term injury and Dobra, who is still to really break into the side. The reality is we need to sign two or three players of quality here as well, taking us up to five or six signings already. Quite possibly a holding midfielder, plus wingers if we are going down that route.

STRIKERS

Jackson, Sears, Norwood

All three look like 10-12 goal a season strikers at this level. Sears could be a 20 goal a season player if back to his best and in a system that compliments him. We are toothless at present though and the reality is we need a prolific target man in the Darly Murphy mould that can work the channels, play on the last man and bully defenders at this level, usually big units. We absolutely have to add a first choice striker which likely means doing what we did with Norwood but bringing someone in from League Two or a lower League One club that can bang them in, again if the system is right.

SQUAD PLAYERS

Donacien
Edwards, Rowe, Nydam
Roberts

Personally I’d keep Janoi as a back-up right back and emergency (far from ideal) centre half. I still think Edwards offers something, Rowe has promise and Nydam is versatile. Roberts is one that I do still think could do a job out wide or up front. These are all people worth keeping on if the wages were low enough, to challenge for a place in the side and offer something.

YOUNGSTERS

Ndaba, Clements, Gibbs, Chirewa, Alley
El Mizouni, Hughes, McGavin, Henderson, Smith, Zac Brown
Folami, Morris, Kai Brown

All of the above have squad numbers and should be used in the Trophy to show what they can do and to be given a chance to break into the squad and get a place on the bench with a view for one or two of them to be regulars by the end of the season.

SEE YA

Norris
Earl, Chambers, Wilson, Nsiala, Kenlock, Cotter
Skuse, Nolan, Judge, Dozzell
Drinan, Keane

Norris will be gone and I have seen little in Earl to suggest he’ll be a great player at this level. Chambers and Skuse I feel have to go now and should be replaced. Dozzell has value on the market and I’d be loathed to lose him but he just hasn’t done anything despite being involved numerous times over numerous years. Nolan and Judge have had their chances and done very little. See also Will Keane. Nsiala and Kenlock are atrocious, Wilson is limited and we can do better and Drinan I can’t see cutting it here.

For me we need 18-20 players aged 20 or over and the rest of the squad made up of 12-15 youngsters all involved in cup games and looking to push on.

We currently have players with the numbers 40, 42, 44, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 and 55 which is utterly ridiculous at League One level, even with Trophy games.

Sadly it means an absolute huge summer ahead for rebuilding which causes its own problems. We have to cut costs which means getting Chambers, Skuse, Judge, Nolan, Nsiala off the books.

Lambert is not the man to oversee this. But another manager likely doesn’t get allowed to ‘do a Hurst’ and overhaul the squad massively, which sadly is what it now needs, when it didn’t need it when Hurst came in!

So even with a new manager we likely end up with most of the same players who aren’t good enough being given second chances.

What a mess.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The state of our squad! on 10:04 - Mar 3 with 2472 viewsHerbivore

It's only such a mess because you've decided to release half the squad.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The state of our squad! on 10:05 - Mar 3 with 2457 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:04 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

It's only such a mess because you've decided to release half the squad.

We are going to have to drastically cut costs now and that has to start with the biggest earners who can be replaced the most easily.

Without releasing the players I have suggested we either keep players on good money who likely offer very little / nothing or keep players on a smaller wage who definitely offer nothing.

The state of our squad! on 10:09 - Mar 3 with 2428 viewsHerbivore

The state of our squad! on 10:05 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We are going to have to drastically cut costs now and that has to start with the biggest earners who can be replaced the most easily.

Without releasing the players I have suggested we either keep players on good money who likely offer very little / nothing or keep players on a smaller wage who definitely offer nothing.

A lot of the players you plan to get rid of are under contract. How do you plan to shift relatively well paid League 1 players off our books? We'll sell Woolf and Downes and maybe one other and that should balance the books for next season. I think people expecting a massive overhaul of the squad are likely to be disappointed.

The state of our squad! on 10:13 - Mar 3 with 2397 viewsartsbossbeard

The state of our squad! on 10:09 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

A lot of the players you plan to get rid of are under contract. How do you plan to shift relatively well paid League 1 players off our books? We'll sell Woolf and Downes and maybe one other and that should balance the books for next season. I think people expecting a massive overhaul of the squad are likely to be disappointed.

I'm sure the OP is able to do this in FM 2020.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The state of our squad! on 10:13 - Mar 3 with 2400 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:09 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

By doing what other clubs do.

A Championship club will offer a pittance for someone like Judge and pay him the same wage he's on here. A League One club may well be able to do the same with Nolan or Nsiala.

We won't get fees for them but will have to decide where we cut our losses. I'm not happy buying Nolan for £1.5m or whatever and sticking him on £7.5k a week, but if he's going to offer no goal threat and make little impact at all, I'd rather let someone else have him than pay him another half a million quid in wages next season to not get in the 18 once we've brought in players who can actually make a difference.

Multiply that with Judge, Chambers, Skuse, Nsiala and so on and that's potentially several million saved in wages alone. We should be able to replace them at this level with players coming in on £4-5k per week from Rochdale, Doncaster, Burton or Crewe sadly, money we can save by releasing some of the current squad players who will be out of contract.

The state of our squad! on 10:14 - Mar 3 with 2372 viewsitfcjoe

The state of our squad! on 10:13 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

A Championship club will offer a pittance for someone like Judge and pay him the same wage he's on here. A League One club may well be able to do the same with Nolan or Nsiala.

We won't get fees for them but will have to decide where we cut our losses. I'm not happy buying Nolan for £1.5m or whatever and sticking him on £7.5k a week, but if he's going to offer no goal threat and make little impact at all, I'd rather let someone else have him than pay him another half a million quid in wages next season to not get in the 18 once we've brought in players who can actually make a difference.

Multiply that with Judge, Chambers, Skuse, Nsiala and so on and that's potentially several million saved in wages alone. We should be able to replace them at this level with players coming in on £4-5k per week from Rochdale, Doncaster, Burton or Crewe sadly, money we can save by releasing some of the current squad players who will be out of contract.

You're living in a dream world

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The state of our squad! on 10:15 - Mar 3 with 2365 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

We are going to cut the squad drastically you'd have thought next season, but you seemed to over trimmed that one.

For all Chambers stick that he gets, he has had a good season at this level (exc. Sunderland). With him having one more year on his contract, would certainly see that through, although would be looking to bring someone in this year to almost shadow him and smooth that transition.

Garbutt and Downes I suspect won't be here, Woolfenden more likely. Your squad looks incredibly thin, although wouldn't have an issue with a deep overhaul as long as Evans back Lambert to recruit his own men.

I suspect he won't.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

The state of our squad! on 10:17 - Mar 3 with 2336 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:13 - Mar 3 by artsbossbeard

I'm sure the OP is able to do this in FM 2020.

Feel free to have a look at any random league one or league two club on Wikipedia, their squad this year and that of last year.

It's not uncommon for them to have to make 10, 15, in some cases 20 signings in pre-season because of players leaving or being out of contract.

We are slightly different because we were a Championship club when we issued contracts and therefore are stuck with some players. But a lot of clubs at this level have forced regular overhauls.

Just have a look at the ins and outs this season at other League One clubs.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

Rotherham, who are essentially what we now want to be in terms of promotion … 24 arrivals. A couple are the same player returning, but that just shows what clubs here have to deal with.

That's one of the biggest League One clubs too.

Login to get fewer ads

The state of our squad! on 10:18 - Mar 3 with 2321 viewsHerbivore

The state of our squad! on 10:13 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Several million saved? Our wage bill this season will only be several million with the big wage cuts players got following relegation.

The idea that a Championship side will take Judge off our hands is pretty laughable at this point. Nobody is going to pay up Nolan or Nsiala's contracts either, so we will have to if we want them to go and play elsewhere.

Your plan seems to be to try to bin off players - probably at great cost to us - and replace them with inferior players from lower in this league or from League 2. I'm not sure that's a great strategy.

The state of our squad! on 10:19 - Mar 3 with 2308 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:14 - Mar 3 by itfcjoe

You're living in a dream world

Look at what Wigan, Barnsley, Rotherham, Burton and other clubs have done.

They've done reduced versions of what we need to do mainly because they weren't up there long enough to have a 35 year old carthorse on £10k a week or more.

Chambers will be the hardest one to move on. Skuse should not be offered a deal, but depressingly will. Nsiala and Nolan could move on if they were willing to accept reduced terms, which will be very hard so we likely loan both out.

Judge should have suitors in the Championship. He's still playing for Ireland.

The state of our squad! on 10:24 - Mar 3 with 2281 viewsitfcjoe

The state of our squad! on 10:17 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Feel free to have a look at any random league one or league two club on Wikipedia, their squad this year and that of last year.

It's not uncommon for them to have to make 10, 15, in some cases 20 signings in pre-season because of players leaving or being out of contract.

We are slightly different because we were a Championship club when we issued contracts and therefore are stuck with some players. But a lot of clubs at this level have forced regular overhauls.

Just have a look at the ins and outs this season at other League One clubs.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

Rotherham, who are essentially what we now want to be in terms of promotion … 24 arrivals. A couple are the same player returning, but that just shows what clubs here have to deal with.

That's one of the biggest League One clubs too.

24 arrivals.....

9 players returning from loan spells
1 player being promoted from the youth team

The state of our squad! on 10:27 - Mar 3 with 2263 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:18 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Several million saved? Our wage bill this season will only be several million with the big wage cuts players got following relegation.

The idea that a Championship side will take Judge off our hands is pretty laughable at this point. Nobody is going to pay up Nolan or Nsiala's contracts either, so we will have to if we want them to go and play elsewhere.

Your plan seems to be to try to bin off players - probably at great cost to us - and replace them with inferior players from lower in this league or from League 2. I'm not sure that's a great strategy.

What do you do then if Chambers, Judge and Nolan to name but three aren't good enough?

Replace them with better players on paper? We can't. They will cost too much money.

Keep them and allow them to contribute little again? What's the point?

Our only option is to replace them with players who are performing above them now, players in this division for smaller teams, that have potential to get better and go on to be sold off in the case we don't go up.

What do you think Posh did when they sold Assombalonga? They didn't spend more than £7m to get a better player did they?

They previously sold a striker and they replaced him with an unknown kid that Watford had released. He went on to be Assombalonga. Who they then sold and replaced with someone equally unproven at this level.

Top teams at this level do this time and time again. We have to identify our own players and those at smaller clubs who can come in, play to a level above this players and get better and better.

What other f***ing strategy do we have? Evans will not pay for proven players at this level and we can't lure players from the Championship. So our only option is to gamble on lesser known players we believe can turn into top League One / Championship players.

What's your plan? Magically make all the players in the squad be good enough?

The state of our squad! on 10:27 - Mar 3 with 2266 viewsitfcjoe

The state of our squad! on 10:19 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Look at what Wigan, Barnsley, Rotherham, Burton and other clubs have done.

They've done reduced versions of what we need to do mainly because they weren't up there long enough to have a 35 year old carthorse on £10k a week or more.

Chambers will be the hardest one to move on. Skuse should not be offered a deal, but depressingly will. Nsiala and Nolan could move on if they were willing to accept reduced terms, which will be very hard so we likely loan both out.

Judge should have suitors in the Championship. He's still playing for Ireland.

Again, living in a dream world

Chambers isn't a carthorse, isn't 35 and isn't on £10k a week or more.

He shouldn't be moved on.

Why would we loan out Nolan to a rival when we will end up paying the bigger chunk of his wages? Bolton are covering £2k of Toto's.

Judge has been poorer than any of the senior players, what Championship club would want him?

The state of our squad! on 10:30 - Mar 3 with 2238 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:27 - Mar 3 by itfcjoe

Again, living in a dream world

Chambers isn't a carthorse, isn't 35 and isn't on £10k a week or more.

He shouldn't be moved on.

Why would we loan out Nolan to a rival when we will end up paying the bigger chunk of his wages? Bolton are covering £2k of Toto's.

Judge has been poorer than any of the senior players, what Championship club would want him?

So you're confident Nolan is going to suddenly improve after a year of doing nothing?

If a player isn't going to contribute I'd rather have something back for their wages than nothing.

Chambers is 34 and isn't good enough for a promotion challenging side. He's been a great player, a great defender, but the time is right to move on.

Judge has been poor but that doesn't mean the likes of Warburton won't have faith they can get a tune out of him. Good managers see players doing very little and other clubs and bring the best out of them.

The state of our squad! on 10:33 - Mar 3 with 2226 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:24 - Mar 3 by itfcjoe

24 arrivals.....

9 players returning from loan spells
1 player being promoted from the youth team

So the FOURTEEN players arriving then.

Which is more than I am suggesting we need.

But that's apparently unrealistic! Lol

The state of our squad! on 10:35 - Mar 3 with 2209 viewsitfcjoe

The state of our squad! on 10:33 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

So the FOURTEEN players arriving then.

Which is more than I am suggesting we need.

But that's apparently unrealistic! Lol

How many of those have signed for developmet squad? Or first team?

There's no context behind the numbers - we've probably had similar this year if looking at pro players signing

The state of our squad! on 10:42 - Mar 3 with 2177 viewsSuperfrans

Well, this is the most selective and negative flounce I've seen on here in quite a while, which is saying something. It really baffles me how people get through life sometimes.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The state of our squad! on 10:51 - Mar 3 with 2134 viewsBlueBadger

The state of our squad! on 10:42 - Mar 3 by Superfrans

Well, this is the most selective and negative flounce I've seen on here in quite a while, which is saying something. It really baffles me how people get through life sometimes.

These people have jobs, children and the vote. Brrrr.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The state of our squad! on 10:54 - Mar 3 with 2118 viewsHerbivore

The state of our squad! on 10:15 - Mar 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

We are going to cut the squad drastically you'd have thought next season, but you seemed to over trimmed that one.

For all Chambers stick that he gets, he has had a good season at this level (exc. Sunderland). With him having one more year on his contract, would certainly see that through, although would be looking to bring someone in this year to almost shadow him and smooth that transition.

Garbutt and Downes I suspect won't be here, Woolfenden more likely. Your squad looks incredibly thin, although wouldn't have an issue with a deep overhaul as long as Evans back Lambert to recruit his own men.

I suspect he won't.

I'd have a problem with Lambert being backed to overhaul the squad, given his incompetence.

The state of our squad! on 10:57 - Mar 3 with 2106 viewsHerbivore

The state of our squad! on 10:27 - Mar 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

What do you do then if Chambers, Judge and Nolan to name but three aren't good enough?

Replace them with better players on paper? We can't. They will cost too much money.

Keep them and allow them to contribute little again? What's the point?

Our only option is to replace them with players who are performing above them now, players in this division for smaller teams, that have potential to get better and go on to be sold off in the case we don't go up.

What do you think Posh did when they sold Assombalonga? They didn't spend more than £7m to get a better player did they?

They previously sold a striker and they replaced him with an unknown kid that Watford had released. He went on to be Assombalonga. Who they then sold and replaced with someone equally unproven at this level.

Top teams at this level do this time and time again. We have to identify our own players and those at smaller clubs who can come in, play to a level above this players and get better and better.

What other f***ing strategy do we have? Evans will not pay for proven players at this level and we can't lure players from the Championship. So our only option is to gamble on lesser known players we believe can turn into top League One / Championship players.

What's your plan? Magically make all the players in the squad be good enough?

My plan is to get a competent manager in. Radical I know.

The state of our squad! on 11:00 - Mar 3 with 2097 viewshomer_123

'What a mess.' - it's like you've self-reviewed your own post.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:01]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The state of our squad! on 11:00 - Mar 3 with 2083 viewsartsbossbeard

The state of our squad! on 11:00 - Mar 3 by homer_123

You have to admire the effort though.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The state of our squad! on 11:01 - Mar 3 with 2080 viewshomer_123

The state of our squad! on 10:54 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

I'd have a problem with Lambert being backed to overhaul the squad, given his incompetence.

But he's played in Germany!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The state of our squad! on 11:02 - Mar 3 with 2081 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 10:42 - Mar 3 by Superfrans

This from the man that brought us this beauty

FEB - 10 points
Sunderland A - 0 points
AFC Wimbledon A - 3 points
Burton Albion H - 3 points
Oxford United H - 1 points
Blackpool A - 3 points

MARCH - 7 points
Fleetwood Town H - 3 points
Coventry City H - 1 points
Bristol Rovers A - 3 points
Portsmouth H - 0 points

APRIL - 12 points
Southend United H - 3 points
Bolton Wanderers H - 3 points
Shrewsbury Town A - 3 points
Rochdale H - 3 points
Doncaster Rovers A - 0 points

May - 3 points
MK Dons H - 3 points

LOL!

Still. We did beat Burton.

Given that your judgement was 10 points from a February where we took just 4 and that you thought we'd get enough points for promotion, despite all logic and form suggesting otherwise, forgive me for not placing too much stock on your opinion.

Now for those 7 points from 12 in March against Fleetwood, Coventry, Bristol Rovers and Pompey! PMSL

The state of our squad! on 11:05 - Mar 3 with 2070 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The state of our squad! on 11:00 - Mar 3 by homer_123

We all self review our own posts by writing them and posting them.

I think you'll find if you review them and disagree that you then actually change them, so what gets published is what you agree with.

Otherwise we wouldn't post them!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024