Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The two sides of Paul Lambert 13:27 - Mar 4 with 2236 viewssotd78

I think we have seen two sides of Paul Lambert since his arrvail. One is a man who sees the whole picture - an old-fashioned club manager in every sense. He cares about the club, its place in the community, the history, the tradition, the infrastructure, the stadium - everything.
Then there's Paul Lambert the coach. His track record after Colchester and Norwich is not that great really. It seems that perhaps he's not actually a really good coach at all. The bloated, not that great, squad he has inherited and built lack a spine - no core of four or five good players around which to plan anything. Thast has to be down to him.

So what's the answer. We clearly liked getting our club back - God knows it was on its death bed. Now regrettably the patient is back in hospital and we don't know whether we hate Lambert for being incompetent, hate Evans for under-investment or just hate what modern football has become.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:32 - Mar 4 with 2191 viewsJ2BLUE

We need to drop this 'got our club back' nonsense. People said it when MM came in. Some said it when Hurst came in and started signing 'hungry' lower league players. Then people said it about Lambert. Maybe we need to stop being so desperate to throw ourselves at every manager who says a few kind words.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:35 - Mar 4 with 2171 viewsSteve_M

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:32 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

We need to drop this 'got our club back' nonsense. People said it when MM came in. Some said it when Hurst came in and started signing 'hungry' lower league players. Then people said it about Lambert. Maybe we need to stop being so desperate to throw ourselves at every manager who says a few kind words.

I'm not sure that's quite true. So much of the basic infrastructure of a club was lacking because everything had been concentrated on the first team. It's a slightly glib phrase that does reflect improvements that Lambert has made, or tried to make, off the pitch.

The impact of a new manager will probably be positive for fans, at least initially, regardless of who that is but these are two separate areas in my view.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:38 - Mar 4 with 2143 viewsJ2BLUE

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:35 - Mar 4 by Steve_M

I'm not sure that's quite true. So much of the basic infrastructure of a club was lacking because everything had been concentrated on the first team. It's a slightly glib phrase that does reflect improvements that Lambert has made, or tried to make, off the pitch.

The impact of a new manager will probably be positive for fans, at least initially, regardless of who that is but these are two separate areas in my view.

We can't go on saying we've got our club back every time we get a new manager before it inevitably goes tits up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 14:20 - Mar 4 with 2056 viewshaynes_toe1

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:38 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

We can't go on saying we've got our club back every time we get a new manager before it inevitably goes tits up.

Also, what did we get back? We continued to play naff football and failed to win matches. For some reason our fans thought we were playing great because he wasn't Mick and he wasn't Hurst. Saying that, people thought we were playing well under Hurst too.
The two sides of Paul Lambert on 15:16 - Mar 4 with 1997 viewsKeaneish

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:35 - Mar 4 by Steve_M

I wanted PL to succeed for that reason. He clearly cares no matter what nonsense some spout. Sadly he's just come unstuck from trying to be too clever, which has appeared incompetent. Part of me still wants him and the backroom staff to succeed but after performances last night, I think we can all agree, it's over.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 15:26 - Mar 4 with 1969 viewsBlueBadger

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 15:16 - Mar 4 by Keaneish

I wanted PL to succeed for that reason. He clearly cares no matter what nonsense some spout. Sadly he's just come unstuck from trying to be too clever, which has appeared incompetent. Part of me still wants him and the backroom staff to succeed but after performances last night, I think we can all agree, it's over.

He's appeared incompetent, because he IS incompetent. I fear you're crediting him too highly here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 17:47 - Mar 4 with 1880 viewsRobTheMonk

Ultimately it's a results business. Last season was atrocious, Evans then got aroused at us beating lower table opposition and prematurely jizzed out a 5 year contract. A brilliant way to usher in the new banter era.
The two sides of Paul Lambert on 18:04 - Mar 4 with 1826 viewsHARRY10

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 15:26 - Mar 4 by BlueBadger

He's appeared incompetent, because he IS incompetent. I fear you're crediting him too highly here.

Or maybe you hadn't noticed how much things were slowly crumbling inward at the club and you thought it was merely about appointing the right manager and everything would be wonderful again.

Playing i Europe fairly soon and sitting near the top of the PL, yep that's how it was to be and how you thought it would be.

Well we had a crap squad. One that was relegated from the Championship after a dreadful season. Anyone of any worth was sold and replaced with lower league hopefuls care of Hurst.

But no, that matters little. Nor did the fact that our budget was cut almost by half, yet with some still on Championship wages (albeit a bit lower due to relegation).

Yet out of this sorry state Lambert has to deliver promotion if not the title. And if not someone else will deliver that 'right'. because that is what we are entitled to. Players who were part of the worst season in living memory were to be transformed over night into a promotion winning side.

Because if that was within the gift of Lambert or any other manager they would not be at Portman Road - they would be earning millions in the PL.

We don't need a miracle worker, we need somebody who is going to dig us out of this mess. And that is not going to happen over night or over one season. Either get used to it or have your strop elsewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 19:55 - Mar 4 with 1695 viewsBlueBadger

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 18:04 - Mar 4 by HARRY10

Or maybe you hadn't noticed how much things were slowly crumbling inward at the club and you thought it was merely about appointing the right manager and everything would be wonderful again.

Playing i Europe fairly soon and sitting near the top of the PL, yep that's how it was to be and how you thought it would be.

Well we had a crap squad. One that was relegated from the Championship after a dreadful season. Anyone of any worth was sold and replaced with lower league hopefuls care of Hurst.

But no, that matters little. Nor did the fact that our budget was cut almost by half, yet with some still on Championship wages (albeit a bit lower due to relegation).

Yet out of this sorry state Lambert has to deliver promotion if not the title. And if not someone else will deliver that 'right'. because that is what we are entitled to. Players who were part of the worst season in living memory were to be transformed over night into a promotion winning side.

Because if that was within the gift of Lambert or any other manager they would not be at Portman Road - they would be earning millions in the PL.

We don't need a miracle worker, we need somebody who is going to dig us out of this mess. And that is not going to happen over night or over one season. Either get used to it or have your strop elsewhere.

As I've said many, many times in the last few days - ultimately we are in the third division because of Marcus Evans. But we're likely to be in it for the long haul now thanks to Paul Lambert.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 20:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 19:59 - Mar 4 with 1678 viewslondontractorboy57

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 19:55 - Mar 4 by BlueBadger

As I've said many, many times in the last few days - ultimately we are in the third division because of Marcus Evans. But we're likely to be in it for the long haul now thanks to Paul Lambert.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 20:03]

Thanks in the main to the over expectant numbskull fans mainly situated in SBR lower.
The two sides of Paul Lambert on 20:04 - Mar 4 with 1649 viewsBlueBadger

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 19:59 - Mar 4 by londontractorboy57

Thanks in the main to the over expectant numbskull fans mainly situated in SBR lower.

You can blame them for lots of things but not Lamberts utter lack of ability as a football manager.

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 00:39 - Mar 5 with 1461 viewstextbackup

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 13:38 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

true, but would you not make sweet love to a female you are dating early doors in case she turns out to be a horrible cow 9months down the line?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 10:02 - Mar 6 with 1174 viewsBerkshire_Blue

The two sides of Paul Lambert on 15:16 - Mar 4 by Keaneish

Dear Keanish, you don't speak for me when you say 'I think we can all agree, it's over.' The only thing we can agree on is that nothing is 'over' until the end of the season. Perhaps like others here you think Warnock is a magician who can get us up. A knee-jerk sacking now will do us no favours.
As an older supporter, I remind fans who think football only started in 1992 that Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson had very troubled starts to their tenures at Ipswich. If the Cobbold family had hit the panic button on either of those two, our history would be very different. Further afield Alex Ferguson was close to the sack before an FA Cup match turned it around at United.
When fans talk about 'getting our club back', what is that? In reality we are a provincial town club which punched above its weight under two exceptional managers who were backed by the boss. What George Burley achieved was in its way even more outstanding because of the oppositions' vast wealth, even at that time.
Marcus Evans is giving PL time in the shape of a 5-year deal and it is ME who pays the bills. Bearing in mind the state we were in before PL arrived, for heavens sake get off his back and give him time too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024