Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) 15:42 - Mar 4 with 3489 viewsbobbyramsey

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 15:46 - Mar 4 with 2927 viewsitfcjoe

Yes, I think people overplay things

We aren't going to nick a manager from a club properly on the up, but we are still ab big club that most managers would jump at the chance of managing

Look at joey barton last night - he's managing a team above us who only take 88 fans to an away game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 15:49 - Mar 4 with 2915 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yes, its supply and demand.

Its still a decent sized club in the scheme of things, and most managers would like the idea of bringing success back to Ipswich.

....by success, I simply mean promotion.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:12 - Mar 4 with 2869 viewsbobbyramsey

I suppose I've asked a bit of a stupid question, the answer would very much depend on whether a manager was employed or not.....
Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:15 - Mar 4 with 2858 viewsChrisd

Yes and no. No, in terms of all the baggage and restrictions that goes with us being owned by ME and the amount of manager's we've got through we've clearly got deep rooted issues. Yes, if the appointed manager is able to turn things around the academy and fan base is there. If successful, things could potentially take off!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:17 - Mar 4 with 2841 viewsitfcjoe

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:15 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

Yes and no. No, in terms of all the baggage and restrictions that goes with us being owned by ME and the amount of manager's we've got through we've clearly got deep rooted issues. Yes, if the appointed manager is able to turn things around the academy and fan base is there. If successful, things could potentially take off!

We haven't got through many managers

Mick had 5 years, Hurst had 15 games and then Lambert has had 75.

I'd say bar Hurst, every one of our managers has had a tenure above average in the football league under Evans

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:29 - Mar 4 with 2814 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:17 - Mar 4 by itfcjoe

I'd say bar Hurst, every one of our managers has had a tenure above average in the football league under Evans

Appreciate it's your opinion, but it would be something you'd consider. PH and PL , although still here, had and hasn't been here that long and they're the most recent of managers. The fact PL had signed a 5 year contract and now a matter of months later looks like he's getting the boot would make you weary.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:44]

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:32 - Mar 4 with 2795 viewsLankHenners

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:29 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

Appreciate it's your opinion, but it would be something you'd consider. PH and PL , although still here, had and hasn't been here that long and they're the most recent of managers. The fact PL had signed a 5 year contract and now a matter of months later looks like he's getting the boot would make you weary.

It would make you think you'll get plenty of time as long as you perform well in your job, which is pretty normal.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:32 - Mar 4 with 2786 viewsitfcjoe

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:29 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

But again, look around other clubs - nowhere else would have allowed Lambert 75 games with what he has shown.

Had we given him a tenure like Hurst then fair enough, but clubs chop and change.

I think ITFC fans are a bit insular with things and don't look at the rest of the footballing world

Login to get fewer ads

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 4 with 2763 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:17 - Mar 4 by itfcjoe

Indeed. Given the average lifespan of a manager these days, Ipswich is practically a job for life. Other sides burn through managers far more quickly than we do.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 4 with 2766 viewsSikamikanico

Based on this 2015 article you would be right

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9875915/average-tenure-of-managers

At the time the Championship average was only .86 of a year which is ridiculously low
Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 4 with 2762 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:32 - Mar 4 by LankHenners

It would make you think you'll get plenty of time as long as you perform well in your job, which is pretty normal.

I appreciate football is a different beast, but that would set alarm bells ring for me personally.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:36 - Mar 4 with 2758 viewshype313

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 15:46 - Mar 4 by itfcjoe

Yes, I think people overplay things

We aren't going to nick a manager from a club properly on the up, but we are still ab big club that most managers would jump at the chance of managing

Look at joey barton last night - he's managing a team above us who only take 88 fans to an away game

But they have a very small fan base anyway, so 88 probably represents similar numbers to bigger clubs, notwithstanding the fact it was a Tuesday night 300 miles away.

Regarding the OP, I don't think it's as attractive as it once was, you're basically working with one hand tied behind your back with a disenfranchised owner.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:37 - Mar 4 with 2746 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

I appreciate football is a different beast, but that would set alarm bells ring for me personally.

If the prospect of managing Town would set alarm bells ringing the you'd be in the wrong business trying to be a football manager. We are way more patient and generally give our managers a lot more time than other sides.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:41 - Mar 4 with 2726 viewsitfcjoe

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:36 - Mar 4 by hype313

But they have a very small fan base anyway, so 88 probably represents similar numbers to bigger clubs, notwithstanding the fact it was a Tuesday night 300 miles away.

Regarding the OP, I don't think it's as attractive as it once was, you're basically working with one hand tied behind your back with a disenfranchised owner.

It's not a criticism, but if Fleetwood get to the PO Final as an eample would they even take 10k fans? The chance to succeed here would be a massive pull

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:42 - Mar 4 with 2729 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:37 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

If the prospect of managing Town would set alarm bells ringing the you'd be in the wrong business trying to be a football manager. We are way more patient and generally give our managers a lot more time than other sides.

On average, at the start of the 2019-20 Premier League, a manager lasted 789 days, which is the equivalent of 2 years, 8 weeks and 3 days. Not sure how that compares to L1 though? I was surprised, thought it would be a lot less than that.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:43]

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:44 - Mar 4 with 2707 viewsLankHenners

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

Why? As already pointed out by others we're more generous with time given to managers than we should be.

"I'll get plenty of time here" isn't an alarm bell.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:46 - Mar 4 with 2687 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:42 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

On average, at the start of the 2019-20 Premier League, a manager lasted 789 days, which is the equivalent of 2 years, 8 weeks and 3 days. Not sure how that compares to L1 though? I was surprised, thought it would be a lot less than that.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:43]

We're not in the Premier League. The Championship is less than a year. Not sure about League 1.

Just had a look and only 33 managers in the Prem and Football League have been in post longer than Lambert. When you consider that he's failed from more or less day one I doubt anyone would look at that and be put off that we don't give managers time.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:52]

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:48 - Mar 4 with 2677 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:44 - Mar 4 by LankHenners

Why? As already pointed out by others we're more generous with time given to managers than we should be.

"I'll get plenty of time here" isn't an alarm bell.

You wouldn't think it was strange? Sign a 5 year contract and then potentially gone in 4 months!?

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:52 - Mar 4 with 2659 viewsHarry_Palmer

Anybody in the lower divisions or currently out of work would surely jump at the chance.

With our budget in this division ( even next season ) it represents a very good chance to get a promotion on your CV. Any semi competent manager should be able to get us into the top 6.
Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:53 - Mar 4 with 2649 viewsLankHenners

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:48 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

You wouldn't think it was strange? Sign a 5 year contract and then potentially gone in 4 months!?

No, I'd look at things slightly more closely than that.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:54 - Mar 4 with 2638 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:48 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

In the context of the job he's done in recent months I doubt anyone would think sacking him now is harsh.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:54 - Mar 4 with 2637 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:46 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

We're not in the Premier League. The Championship is less than a year. Not sure about League 1.

Just had a look and only 33 managers in the Prem and Football League have been in post longer than Lambert. When you consider that he's failed from more or less day one I doubt anyone would look at that and be put off that we don't give managers time.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:52]

We're not in the Championship either, but you'd think that it was longer in L1 we haven't had too much managerial movement this season. 12 of the current L1 managers have been in their jobs for more than a year, Gareth Ainsworth the longest at 7 years and 5 months.

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:56 - Mar 4 with 2622 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:54 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

We're not in the Championship either, but you'd think that it was longer in L1 we haven't had too much managerial movement this season. 12 of the current L1 managers have been in their jobs for more than a year, Gareth Ainsworth the longest at 7 years and 5 months.

As I said, only 33 managers out of 91 have been in post longer than Lambert. In the context of the poor job he's done I doubt anyone (other than you, clearly) would look at it and think "I think Ipswich are a bit trigger happy, think I'll give them a swerve".

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:57 - Mar 4 with 2619 viewsChrisd

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:53 - Mar 4 by LankHenners

No, I'd look at things slightly more closely than that.

I'd be hesitant if it was me, give with one hand and take or rather snatch back with the other. Certainly need to do their research. ME is the real issue in accepting that job.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 17:00]

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 17:09 - Mar 4 with 2580 viewsHerbivore

Is ITFC still an attractive proposition for a manager? (n/t) on 16:57 - Mar 4 by Chrisd

I'd be hesitant if it was me, give with one hand and take or rather snatch back with the other. Certainly need to do their research. ME is the real issue in accepting that job.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 17:00]

Thankfully I don't think you need to worry about being offered the job and I doubt anyone else would think we've been too trigger happy when it comes to Lambert.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024