Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting comments from an ex player 12:44 - Mar 5 with 5943 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Steve McCall posted on FB;

Despite the wage reduction under both Hurst and now Lambert we have a squad of players who should perform and get results in order to win promotion this season. The Championship is another matter.
We have invested heavily in strikers through either wages or transfer fees so Lambert can’t complain. Every team in league one would love to have Sears, Jackson and Norwood.
The fact that we are struggling is clearly down to the manager whose job it is to organise, give them a shape and pattern of play to bring out the best in them all. Mostly though, as we saw against Fleetwood, it is about motivation and Lambert clearly can’t motivate this squad of players to give us any chance of promotion and a fading hope of even the play offs.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:51 - Mar 5 with 5053 viewsPJH

More logical or sensible or correct or obvious than interesting I would have thought.
Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:51 - Mar 5 with 5049 viewsTractorCam

Spot on.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:56 - Mar 5 with 4949 viewsReuser_is_God

He's absolutely right.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:58 - Mar 5 with 4915 viewsitfcjoe

He's absolutely right

Lambert is all about motivation and not tactics and he has lost the ability to motivate

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:02 - Mar 5 with 4856 viewsKieran_Knows

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:58 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

He's absolutely right

Lambert is all about motivation and not tactics and he has lost the ability to motivate

Something which if you listen to all his ex Norwich players, they say that's what he was very best at ... and like many others have said before me, it's becoming ever more apparent that the reason he was so successful was because of Culverhouse and he was the brains behind it all.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:05 - Mar 5 with 4801 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:02 - Mar 5 by Kieran_Knows

Something which if you listen to all his ex Norwich players, they say that's what he was very best at ... and like many others have said before me, it's becoming ever more apparent that the reason he was so successful was because of Culverhouse and he was the brains behind it all.

He obviously was a good manager as well and think the Culverhouse stuff is overstated, I just don't think he is a good man manager any more.

Like you say the stories you hear from Norwich are very different to what I hear about him now - he's lost his mojo

You don't need to be a tactician to put on decent performances in this league with this squad, the players don't seem motivated or at it too often

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:08 - Mar 5 with 4752 viewsJ2BLUE

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:58 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

He's absolutely right

Have you heard anything about McGavin having no idea he was even in the squad let alone playing until 5:30 Tuesday?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:10 - Mar 5 with 4708 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:08 - Mar 5 by J2BLUE

Have you heard anything about McGavin having no idea he was even in the squad let alone playing until 5:30 Tuesday?

No, but think EADT said he'd only found out that day

That sort of thing doesn't worry me as players take news differently and may have been right way to do it

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:11 - Mar 5 with 4683 viewsTractorJack

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:05 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

He obviously was a good manager as well and think the Culverhouse stuff is overstated, I just don't think he is a good man manager any more.

Like you say the stories you hear from Norwich are very different to what I hear about him now - he's lost his mojo

You don't need to be a tactician to put on decent performances in this league with this squad, the players don't seem motivated or at it too often

I think that's evidenced as well by some of our better performances this season having a lot to do with simply working harder than the opposition.
Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:18 - Mar 5 with 4581 viewsitfcjoe

Important to note that McCall isn't just an ex-player, he was our Chief Scout for a decade or so, so is clearly switched on

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:21 - Mar 5 with 4528 viewssotd78

This is dis-ingenous at best and plain factually wrong at worst.
We have never had those three strikers available at the same time; we currently don 't have Norwood and arguably haven't since his first injury.

If we want to make a case to get shot of Lambert it isn't based not using his strikers properly.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:22 - Mar 5 with 4488 viewssotd78

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:18 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

Important to note that McCall isn't just an ex-player, he was our Chief Scout for a decade or so, so is clearly switched on

And clearly not aware of the injury situation or suspensions etc.
Perhaps that's why he ain't the scout no more?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:29 - Mar 5 with 4412 viewsDanTheMan

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:22 - Mar 5 by sotd78

He's a scout at Colchester I believe.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:32 - Mar 5 with 4363 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:22 - Mar 5 by sotd78

Or you're clearly not aware of how to read.

Where does he say we've had all three all season and we should have been promoted?

We've had Jackson and Norwood fit together for the majority of the season and Sears has been back for half a dozen games, some of which the other two have not been available.

He's simply alluding to the fact we have the firepower to do a lot better, which is true. He's not suggesting we've played all three together all season.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:34 - Mar 5 with 4344 viewsSuperfrans

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:51 - Mar 5 by PJH

More logical or sensible or correct or obvious than interesting I would have thought.

Unusually interesting for this place, I would say.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:38 - Mar 5 with 4313 viewssotd78

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:32 - Mar 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Or you're clearly not aware of how to read.

Where does he say we've had all three all season and we should have been promoted?

We've had Jackson and Norwood fit together for the majority of the season and Sears has been back for half a dozen games, some of which the other two have not been available.

He's simply alluding to the fact we have the firepower to do a lot better, which is true. He's not suggesting we've played all three together all season.

Could you just tot up the actual goals record of any of the strikers we have?

Norwood has clearly not been fit since about November.
Sears has just come back early from a cruciate injury
Keane cannot hit a barn door
Jackson is about the best we've got and he's scored how many?

The FB post from McCall reads like we've had oodles of firepower and used them badly. We ain't.
We haven't got a strike force worth a light!

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:40 - Mar 5 with 4281 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:38 - Mar 5 by sotd78

The FB post from McCall reads like we've had oodles of firepower and used them badly. We ain't.

Or maybe we do have decent strikers but Lambert is so abysmal he's not given them much of a chance through his abysmal team selections and tactics.

What do we actually create? Very little.

You don't think the same manager that ensured we hoofed the ball up to Keane all night against 6'7 Soutter, stifles the other strikers from being as productive as they would be with a competent manager?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:43 - Mar 5 with 4250 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:40 - Mar 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Or maybe we do have decent strikers but Lambert is so abysmal he's not given them much of a chance through his abysmal team selections and tactics.

You don't think the same manager that ensured we hoofed the ball up to Keane all night against 6'7 Soutter, stifles the other strikers from being as productive as they would be with a competent manager?

Since the turn of the year, we've scored 14 goals in 13 games - including 8 across the Accrington and Burton games

We are rubbish, and Lambert is why

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:49 - Mar 5 with 4172 viewssotd78

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:40 - Mar 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Don't assume from what I post that I think Paul Lambert has done well.
But we have a strike force comprising Sears who dropped to Colchester to resurrect his career and is not prolific in any system under any manager
We have Will Keane who has this year played more games than in any of the past five - and thus can now be seen to be a bit of a lightweight
Norwood - who's record is based on lower division activity
Jackson - the only one I rate as a proper goal scorer.

We went to a wing back system based on Garbutt and KVY and one of those got crocked.
We've a bunch of sick notes and fly weights in midfield.

My criticism of PL would be that we cancelled games we could have played; didn't settle quickly enough on a team and failed thus to stick to that team. Those two things might well be enough to end his tenure; unless of course, we have a five year plan?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:49 - Mar 5 with 4172 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Jackson has scored 11 and has 7 assists.

Being involved directly in 18 goals is a good return.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:50 - Mar 5 with 4142 viewssotd78

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:49 - Mar 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Jackson has scored 11 and has 7 assists.

Being involved directly in 18 goals is a good return.

as I said:

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:50 - Mar 5 with 4148 viewsSuperfrans

All of this is perfectly fine. But given our clear lack of scoring options, why didn't we buy a striker in January?

I know we don't have loads of cash, but we did have a player on the hook (a deal fell through) and if we were as desperate for more firepower as you make out, why didn't we act to bring someone else in when that first choice deal fell through.

The general thrust of McCall's post is that we have plenty of quality in our squad, but haven't delivered with it what we should. I would have thought that this is undeniable.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:56 - Mar 5 with 4068 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:21 - Mar 5 by sotd78

This is dis-ingenous at best and plain factually wrong at worst.
We have never had those three strikers available at the same time; we currently don 't have Norwood and arguably haven't since his first injury.

If we want to make a case to get shot of Lambert it isn't based not using his strikers properly.

Sorry, accidental upvote.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:57 - Mar 5 with 4060 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:50 - Mar 5 by sotd78

as I said:

Norwood with 11 in 28 isnt bad.

Interesting comments from an ex player on 14:00 - Mar 5 with 4000 viewsclive_baker

Yep, not rocket science is it. Lambert's failed spectacularly given the squad he has at his disposal. Evans is firmly at fault for the longer term, gradual decline of the club and under investment across all areas, but the reality is this squad should be 10 - 15 points better off this season, minimum.

What's frustrated me most is it's all been so avoidable. We've self destructed and have nobody else to blame for spooning up this season. So much about football is mental, having real belief that you can go beat anyone, and having the momentum. It's like a snowball, wins bring more belief, the sentiment among the fans is sky high, more bums on seats and atmosphere, players working harder to get into the side and opposition increasingly fearing you as an opponent. In a world where players are so much more easily accessible on social media, I don't think it should be underestimated what positive messages after victories can do to someone's mental state and ability to do their job, vs. being called a c*** after a defeat. Look at Norwood, he came to us off the season of his life and started with a bang. What you don't do when you're top and winning games and your strikers are scoring is rotate the side. All that nonsense about 60 game season etc, we should've gone for a cup run (in both the League cup and FA cup), and kept blowing smoke up the backsides of our players when we were on such a good run, not telling everyone it'll end at some stage, that's self fulfilling.

Lambert's played the last 4 months or so disastrously. He won't be here for much longer, and thankfully we should have time for his replacement to get a feel for the squad and full pre season ahead of having another go. Huge decision for Lambert though. Hopefully the trend of his historical managerial recruits continues: Pony, Pony, Success. Pony, Pony, ?
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 14:05]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024