Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans just can't win 09:40 - Mar 6 with 5291 viewsBluefish

He has had pelters in the past for all sorts

State of the stadium
Funding of the team
Sticking by managers
Not having a DoF
Not speaking publically
Not honouring our history
Not listening to the fans
Selling our best players

This year he has fixed just about everything in the list but the blame goes back because despite his 100 million we wanted these things quicker.

PRP was given a contract because he had his name sung all game by the crowd. Even when he took us down in the most pathetic effort ever the crowd said it is ok we are happy we love you. This season despite utter dross they continued to sing about him, the players songs completely dried up and it was all about PRP. The owners gave China new contract because without the fans their is no club and the fans adored PRP.

He kept judge and Dozzell because the fans called him a **** loud and clear when the rumours were we would sell them.

He appointed a young progressive manager in PH, on paper it didnt get better than league 1 manager of the year.

The stadium is being done up, not just with cheap paint because with respect to our history and by involving fans.

The focus is still there for the academy and everything has been done to recruit for it well and keep the players

Our budget is easily one of the highest in this league if not the highest. It was widely thought we would sell off but we continued to add to give the strength to the squad.

Evans is from perfect and he has made mistakes but he is so far from being the current person responsible for the mess.

Lambert came into a side with a long history in thisbleaguenor higher. We were 5 points adrift with well over half a season left. We didn't put up the slightest fight and we didn't lay amy foundations for future success, we were inept and clueless and we still are over an year later. This isn't a manager squeezing the best out of a team that ultimately isn't good enough, it is a charlatan more interested in his playing career stealing a living while chucking out PR stunts to play the crowd like puppets.

Evans is not the current problem and is unlikely to be at this level, Lambert must go and we must focus on the right areas and then regroup as a crowd. keane blew our golden chance financially, now PRP is blowing it from a fan base point of view, the commitment to this season was unheard of, inhope it isn't wasted.

We are also on the verge of a golden generation academy wise. We expect to lose the diamonds of Downes and Woolfenden but we still have

Lankester
Dobra
El Mizouni
Simpson
Nydam
Dozzell

Plus many others including mcgavin, przybek, Gibbs, crowe, hughes, drinan. Even the likes of bishop is still someone to be proud of and build around

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Evans just can't win on 09:43 - Mar 6 with 3844 viewsr2d2

Thats because at the end of the day he is still inept at running a football club.
Evans just can't win on 09:48 - Mar 6 with 3823 viewsartsbossbeard

There was a suggestion on here the other day that we don't need more money put in by Evans per annum, we can get by with a new owner who would put in less but "gets us".

To "get us", I suspect you need a white coat, access to a straight jacket, medication and a padded cell.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Evans just can't win on 09:52 - Mar 6 with 3803 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Golden generation of academy. Its not exactly the class of 92. They are going to have one decent season and leave.

You also say people want things quicker, he has been here 10 years. Just because he has done some good things doesn't mean he has done a good job. It isn't a case of getting Evans out, but he needs to realise where he is going wrong. He needs more football people around him who he will listen to.

We have gone from a top half Champ club to a mid table league one team under Evans after he promised us premier league football, I mean that really isn't good.

In the same breath you criticise PL, but the stadium is being done up because of PL pressuring him. We have reconnected with history because of PL etc etc. I know he isn't a good manager, but to completely ignore that Lambert has had a big impact off the pitch is naïve. The things you are praising Lambert for, a lot of them are due to pressure from PL
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 9:57]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Evans just can't win on 10:02 - Mar 6 with 3752 viewsBluefish

Evans just can't win on 09:52 - Mar 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

Golden generation of academy. Its not exactly the class of 92. They are going to have one decent season and leave.

You also say people want things quicker, he has been here 10 years. Just because he has done some good things doesn't mean he has done a good job. It isn't a case of getting Evans out, but he needs to realise where he is going wrong. He needs more football people around him who he will listen to.

We have gone from a top half Champ club to a mid table league one team under Evans after he promised us premier league football, I mean that really isn't good.

In the same breath you criticise PL, but the stadium is being done up because of PL pressuring him. We have reconnected with history because of PL etc etc. I know he isn't a good manager, but to completely ignore that Lambert has had a big impact off the pitch is naïve. The things you are praising Lambert for, a lot of them are due to pressure from PL
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 9:57]

Those things are nothing to do with Lambert and his job. Lambert can sort all of the Towns parking challenges out if he wants, it doesn't make him a competent manager. He is just good at taking the credit, we have no idea who drove those improvements, PL just does the pressers

Evans just can't win on 10:09 - Mar 6 with 3718 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

You want to build around Teddy '50 games in 6 years' Bishop?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Evans just can't win on 10:10 - Mar 6 with 3714 viewsOxford_Blue

I agree largely with that as I’ve said elsewhere.

I’ve asked / challenged people to state precisely what he has done or not done that has materially caused our current position. So far the answers are not allowing managers to spend more money in the 2015 and 2020 windows. Clearly that criticism relies on presumptions that Evans has the money, that the players were available and wanted to come (esp to a league one side) and that even if they had done so it would have made the significant difference claimed, when all the evidence of past big money signings shows they don’t work out. I’m sorry but this isn’t enough on its own to justify blaming Evans let alone wanting him out.

Sheepshanks didn’t invest in the club to anything like the extent Evans has. Evans has spent more money than anyone in the club’s history. The failure of the club is due to the decisions made by managers and their players on the pitch. None of Evan’s managerial appointments were terrible at the time they were made.
Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 with 3708 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 09:43 - Mar 6 by r2d2

Thats because at the end of the day he is still inept at running a football club.

He doesn’t run it. He owns it.

And what are the decisions that you say are wrong and which have caused the current mess?

He appointed managers who are responsible for the performances on the pitch.
Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 with 3708 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Evans just can't win on 10:02 - Mar 6 by Bluefish

Those things are nothing to do with Lambert and his job. Lambert can sort all of the Towns parking challenges out if he wants, it doesn't make him a competent manager. He is just good at taking the credit, we have no idea who drove those improvements, PL just does the pressers

Pl wanted players, came out in presser pre Burton saying it wasn't good enough. Then in comes KVY and Keane and Wilson.

Pl says that the training ground didn't have enough colour and was lifeless it has been redone. As well as this Hurst said the same about the clubs dressing room and that was redone.

Lambert invited the legends to the club Warky said that himself.

Nobody is saying he is a good manager, I have wanted him out as long as you have. However, to make out that he is some of charlatan and just because it was PR he didn't do anything good for the club off the pitch is wrong. It is just a shame he isn't a good football manager

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Evans just can't win on 10:13 - Mar 6 with 3684 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

Pl wanted players, came out in presser pre Burton saying it wasn't good enough. Then in comes KVY and Keane and Wilson.

Pl says that the training ground didn't have enough colour and was lifeless it has been redone. As well as this Hurst said the same about the clubs dressing room and that was redone.

Nobody is saying he is a good manager, I have wanted him out as long as you have. However, to make out that he is some of charlatan and just because it was PR he didn't do anything good for the club off the pitch is wrong. It is just a shame he isn't a good football manager

Lambert cares about the club but he's a very poor football manager.

Effectively he's the same as me. I love the club and could list everything that's wrong with it but I doubt I could lead us to promotion.

Evans just can't win on 10:14 - Mar 6 with 3681 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

Agree.

PL can’t win either when it comes to the off the field stuff. It’s wrong to attack him for trying to bond with the club. MM didn’t do any of this and was attacked for that.

This is about football. Many teams have less money pumped in by their owners and do better. This is because their teams play better. Lambert and the former managers are all responsible for this.
Evans just can't win on 10:14 - Mar 6 with 3680 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

He doesn’t run it. He owns it.

And what are the decisions that you say are wrong and which have caused the current mess?

He appointed managers who are responsible for the performances on the pitch.

He let Hurst decimate that squad. I know he has to show trust to a manager, but every Tom, Dick and Harry could see that wasn't a good idea. I blame him for letting Hurst do that, it showed a complete lack of awareness

Evans just can't win on 10:17 - Mar 6 with 3662 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 10:14 - Mar 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

He let Hurst decimate that squad. I know he has to show trust to a manager, but every Tom, Dick and Harry could see that wasn't a good idea. I blame him for letting Hurst do that, it showed a complete lack of awareness

You have no idea what went on or what discussions took place. You are - like many - jumping to conclusions based on assumptions and speculation. You haven’t, for example, considered the evidence that Waghorn wanted to leave and that others did too. You haven’t considered that Hurst is the manager and ultimately it’s his job to pick players and make decisions based on footballing judgements. You can’t have it both ways. You and others say Evans doesn’t know about football and should leave it to those who do (like the manager!) then at the same time say he should be overriding the manager on football decisions.
Evans just can't win on 10:29 - Mar 6 with 3585 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're partly right, but then ask yourself who appointed Lambert.... And has this been a recurring pattern over the last 12 years, or however long it's been now?

Many people seem to understand that he's trying to do a good job and run a tight, sustainable ship in a completely screwed financial environment. But through poor decisions (and bad luck, if you like) it's not working.

Around those things he's done, he eventually ticks some of the boxes:
- Everyone was complaining about how bad the place was (training ground & PR), so we had a bit of a spruce up although it was long overdue.
- People complained about the lack of communication, so he did a video but didn't say a lot.
- People wanted a up and coming manager, so he picks a younger one, but it turns out to be a really bad one. And to compound matters he naively lets him rip the team apart and appoint crap players.
- People complain about high turnover of managers, but we stick with them long after we should (although Hurst went fairly quickly in fairness).

He's trying and he is trying to appease the fans. He just seems to get things wrong. Not maliciously, but the end result is pretty similar.

But yeah, of course Lambert has lost it (and probably never really had it in the first place).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Evans just can't win on 10:29 - Mar 6 with 3586 viewsitfcjoe

Evans just can't win on 10:17 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

You have no idea what went on or what discussions took place. You are - like many - jumping to conclusions based on assumptions and speculation. You haven’t, for example, considered the evidence that Waghorn wanted to leave and that others did too. You haven’t considered that Hurst is the manager and ultimately it’s his job to pick players and make decisions based on footballing judgements. You can’t have it both ways. You and others say Evans doesn’t know about football and should leave it to those who do (like the manager!) then at the same time say he should be overriding the manager on football decisions.

Evans is still in charge of that, and should know better - when it did come to it he forced through the signings of Walters and Pennington as knew the club needed more experience at this level.

Hurst was a terrible manager and did the club untold damage in that summer window, but Evans had to sign off on all that. It's notable that Lee O'Neill is now more heavily involved in recruitment rather than it happening between the manager and the owner - so he has clearly learned from this but it looks like being too late.

Evans needs to fire Lambert, if he lets it drag on then it shows his decision making is still flawed, or that the contract he gave out wasn't enoyugh in his favour

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Evans just can't win on 10:30 - Mar 6 with 3583 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I have said in my post, there has to be a degree of trust. What happened in negotiations is not important. Every body said when we got relegated, we were because we bought league 1 players to play in the championship. That was so obviously a bad decision. I am not saying ME should have hijacked all the moves , but he should have probably looked and saw that, that wasn't going to work and tell PH to listen to Dave Bowman, which people say he wasn't and bring in a bit more experience which he had to eventually do on loan.

Which brings me back to ME, my criticism is he needs to bring the right people in around him to advise on footballing decisions. Like Norwich have Webber. ME is not a football man, he needs support. The fact he let Paul Hurst do what he did to that squad, for me was criminal. It isn't a case of ME out, but he has to realise his failings, of which there are many

Evans just can't win on 10:34 - Mar 6 with 3558 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I leave my wife to do the shopping and she does it more cheaply and efficiently than I do.

But if she came back after spending £150 on magic beans, I'd be having a bloody word and doing it myself even if it's not my area of expertise.

Evans allowing a manager to have control doesn't mean he can't spot a cock up when he sees one.

Evans just can't win on 10:38 - Mar 6 with 3520 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think the capital he puts in at this level is more than sufficient.

The use of the money that is the problem.

I don't really have a problem with the money he puts, that could be argued isn't sufficient for the Championship buts it is more than enough for League 1.

But decision over the years as a whole have been horrendous. Probably reverts back to the fact there haven't been enough football men at the club, and too many businessmen.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 11:57]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Evans just can't win on 10:41 - Mar 6 with 3501 viewsmattrolow

I can see mistakes that Evans has made but I completely understand his reasoning behind each decision. As the original post said, he's reacted to what the fans have wanted, i.e. young manager, backing him in the market and even when he maybe didn't believe in the players he was bringing in he trusted him which is what we asked him to do.

I like everything that PL has done off the pitch. We were all aware it was a load of PR stunts from the beginning, but we were happy to go with them because it gave such positivity around the place even in the most dire of situations. Unfortunately it hasn't happened on the pitch, I don't know why, but I'm now at the point where I think it is time for a change, but I'm sad it's got to this point.

I would have had Warnock a few years ago, but a man who wants to retire at the end of the season is not the answer.
Evans just can't win on 10:48 - Mar 6 with 3464 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 10:29 - Mar 6 by Swansea_Blue

You're partly right, but then ask yourself who appointed Lambert.... And has this been a recurring pattern over the last 12 years, or however long it's been now?

Many people seem to understand that he's trying to do a good job and run a tight, sustainable ship in a completely screwed financial environment. But through poor decisions (and bad luck, if you like) it's not working.

- Everyone was complaining about how bad the place was (training ground & PR), so we had a bit of a spruce up although it was long overdue.
- People complained about the lack of communication, so he did a video but didn't say a lot.
- People wanted a up and coming manager, so he picks a younger one, but it turns out to be a really bad one. And to compound matters he naively lets him rip the team apart and appoint crap players.
- People complain about high turnover of managers, but we stick with them long after we should (although Hurst went fairly quickly in fairness).

He's trying and he is trying to appease the fans. He just seems to get things wrong. Not maliciously, but the end result is pretty similar.

But yeah, of course Lambert has lost it (and probably never really had it in the first place).

Appointing managers isn’t done in a vacuum. There was time pressure and also the fact that a number wouldn’t come. Lampard wouldn’t come because the money wasn’t available.

Lambert had a track record of getting out of the division. He wasn’t a bad appointment. He’s just not delivered. That happens. Many many managers who are appointed get sacked. It doesn’t mean they were bad decisions at the time.
Evans just can't win on 10:52 - Mar 6 with 3452 viewsrickw

Yes people are unhappy with Evans because the team is doing badly at the moment, and yes throughout Evans's tenure the club has gone backwards.

Evans has made mistakes but he's not stupid so must be learning from them. With his managerial history, all were good managers in principle just haven't worked out.

Evans isn't responsible for how our players are performing and why they are less than the sum of their parts at the moment, hopefully Lambert can turn it around but I doubt it....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Evans just can't win on 10:53 - Mar 6 with 3452 viewsLord_Lucan

Evans just can't win on 10:29 - Mar 6 by Swansea_Blue

I struggle to think of any manager he appointed that wasn't met with enthusiasm by the fans.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Evans just can't win on 11:01 - Mar 6 with 3421 viewsPinewoodblue

When you own a business, especially one you know little about, the first thing you do is put together a team to run it efficiently. Starting from the top and working down.

Sadly Marcus Evans hasn’t done that yet. Lambert has to go as does anyone involved in the decision to give him a new contract. That includes anyone who had an opportunity to question three ision but failed to do so.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Evans just can't win on 11:05 - Mar 6 with 3403 viewsBluefish

Evans just can't win on 11:01 - Mar 6 by Pinewoodblue

When you own a business, especially one you know little about, the first thing you do is put together a team to run it efficiently. Starting from the top and working down.

Sadly Marcus Evans hasn’t done that yet. Lambert has to go as does anyone involved in the decision to give him a new contract. That includes anyone who had an opportunity to question three ision but failed to do so.

We can't change history. Evans thought hencouldnthrownsome money and reach the premier league. Roy keane then assured him that any idiot could finish midtable and he just needs him to finish top 2. By the time the reality crashed down he was in a massive hole and the game moved away rapidly. Since then it has been a panic and short term desperation. He is now waking up and trying to improve while everything crashes down. No sane person will bail him out so we should be careful what we wish for and support the current efforts to arrest the slide and rebuild

Evans just can't win on 11:06 - Mar 6 with 3391 viewsartsbossbeard

Evans just can't win on 10:53 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

I struggle to think of any manager he appointed that wasn't met with enthusiasm by the fans.

Paul Jewell??

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Evans just can't win on 11:08 - Mar 6 with 3377 viewsLord_Lucan

Evans just can't win on 11:06 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

Paul Jewell??

Even then I can't remember anything but positivity - although I would say he may be the most underwhelming in the circumstances.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024