Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... 10:41 - Mar 6 with 2998 viewsNotSure

... then no owner will be interested in buying us.
I think this is what is stopping Evans selling the club. There can't be many other clubs with such a weird situation where the owner of the stadium doesn't own the land it's on!
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 10:50 - Mar 6 with 2625 viewsbrazil1982

I'm pleased he doesn't own it. Last thing I want is a move away from PR. In fact, I don't think I would ever get over that.
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 10:53 - Mar 6 with 2596 viewsWeekender

Leasehold property is entirely normal.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 10:54 - Mar 6 with 2590 viewsPinewoodblue

The land can only be used for sports activities. Not sure it really has a high value with restrictions in force.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:02 - Mar 6 with 2469 viewsGuthrum

In reality it means we are unattractive to the kind of rapacious, asset-stripping owners who have caused so much damage at other clubs. Not such a bad thing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:04 - Mar 6 with 2451 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:21 - Mar 6 with 2393 viewsPendejo

Oh to be Coventry City, Brighton for many dark years or Bristol Rovers, not forgetting Charlton or Wimbledon

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:24 - Mar 6 with 2380 viewsWubbleU

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:04 - Mar 6 by BryanPlug

I'm sure Bury fans wish their ground had been council owned.
They would have been less attractive to their past two owners who dumped them in a mess.
Also now they would have easy access to their stadium for the new club instead it is lost in a web of mortgages, loans and bad-debt.
One day we might be very grateful the owner (and it may not be this one) doesn't have the stadium... training ground will be a ransom strip as it is.
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:43 - Mar 6 with 2352 viewsPhilTWTD

Never heard anyone in and around the club or football more widely suggest this is an issue, seems a perfectly normal situation. And one which is healthy for the club given what happened at Brighton, for example, a few years ago.
Login to get fewer ads

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:45 - Mar 6 with 2340 viewsBryanPlug

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:43 - Mar 6 by PhilTWTD

Never heard anyone in and around the club or football more widely suggest this is an issue, seems a perfectly normal situation. And one which is healthy for the club given what happened at Brighton, for example, a few years ago.

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:54 - Mar 6 with 2313 viewstractorboy7777

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:02 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

In reality it means we are unattractive to the kind of rapacious, asset-stripping owners who have caused so much damage at other clubs. Not such a bad thing.

Much like the Marcus Evans (Guernsey) Limited now own the training ground

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:09 - Mar 6 with 2274 viewsSwansea_Blue

City Ground, Forest — land owned by Council, stadium by club

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:20 - Mar 6 with 2252 viewsSwansea_Blue

(edit - added Ricoh arena.

Ok, done a bit of lunchtime homework for you good people. The OP was specifically talking about situations where land and stadium have different owners. That's hard to find out quickly, but finding ownership of the stadium is easy, so we can see how common it is for land/stadia to not be owned for the club (and therefore probably not a big deal, although smarty pants Phil has already confirmed this anyway so I've wasted my time). Bet here's the list anyway!

The list below are those where the club doesn't own the ground directly. I've included cases where the club owners may own grounds via another company, but it's not directly owned by the club itself (not sure if that's significant). IThe list may not be 100% accurate, depends on information from wiki and football-stadiums.co.uk.

PREMIER LEAGUE:
- London Stadium - Greater London Authority
- The Etihad — Manchester City Council
- Anfield — owned by club owners separately, Fenway Sports Group
- St James’ Park - Newcastle City Council
- King Power Stadium — owned by King Power International Group (club owners)
- Molineux — Wolverhampton City Council
- Falmer — The Community Stadium Limited (which I think is a separate company owned/part controlled by Brighton’s owners). Nb. Big lesson here for all clubs — old owners of previous ground, Goldstone Ground, sold the ground from under the club without lining up a replacement.
- Family Tinder Stadium — hard to confirm who owns Carrot Road, but think it’s the club (strangely, only ground with no info — probably helps with insurance scams )
- Turf Moor - Turf Moor Properties Ltd (stadium ownership company set up by club’s co-Chairmen). Effectively club owned now — but was owned by another private company up until 2013/14.
- Vitality Stadium — sold to London-based property company, Stuctadene, in 2005 (presumably to raise cash) & now leased back. They were trying to buy it back in 2006, but seems they couldn’t agree a deal.

CHAMPIONSHIP:
- Hillsborough — owned separately by the owner, not the club
- Elland Road — Leeds only bought it back in 2017, held by parent company
- Pride Park — owned by owner Mel Morris
- City Ground, Forest — land owned by Council, stadium by club
- KCOM — owned by Hull City Council / KCOM
- Madejski — owned by RFC Holdings Ltd (whoever they are)
- Kirklees Stadium — shared ownership Huddersfield Council / Huddersfield / Huddersfield Giants
- Oakwell - owned by Barnsley Council
- The Den — owned by Lewisham Council
- Kenilworth Road — owned by Luton Borough Council
- Ricoh Arena, Coventry - Wasps Holdings Ltd. We all know what's been happening there.

LEAGUE 1:
- Stadium MK — owned by Inter MK, whose MD is also the MK Dons Chairman (Pete Winkleman) — not quite sure about how that ownership model all works
- FPR — council obvs
- London Road/ABAX/ Weston Homes Stadium— not sure, but Posh owners were trying to “buy back the ABAX Stadium from the local authority” in Jan 19.
- Kassam Stadium — owned by Firoka Group, the company of ex-owner of Oxford Utd, Firoz Kassam (he sold club in 2006 but retained ownership of stadium -something we wouldn’t want to see happen to FPR)
- Highbury Stadium (Fleetwood) - Wyre Borough Council
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 13:39]

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:27 - Mar 6 with 2232 viewsNotSure

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:20 - Mar 6 by Swansea_Blue

(edit - added Ricoh arena.

Ok, done a bit of lunchtime homework for you good people. The OP was specifically talking about situations where land and stadium have different owners. That's hard to find out quickly, but finding ownership of the stadium is easy, so we can see how common it is for land/stadia to not be owned for the club (and therefore probably not a big deal, although smarty pants Phil has already confirmed this anyway so I've wasted my time). Bet here's the list anyway!

The list below are those where the club doesn't own the ground directly. I've included cases where the club owners may own grounds via another company, but it's not directly owned by the club itself (not sure if that's significant). IThe list may not be 100% accurate, depends on information from wiki and football-stadiums.co.uk.

PREMIER LEAGUE:
- London Stadium - Greater London Authority
- The Etihad — Manchester City Council
- Anfield — owned by club owners separately, Fenway Sports Group
- St James’ Park - Newcastle City Council
- King Power Stadium — owned by King Power International Group (club owners)
- Molineux — Wolverhampton City Council
- Falmer — The Community Stadium Limited (which I think is a separate company owned/part controlled by Brighton’s owners). Nb. Big lesson here for all clubs — old owners of previous ground, Goldstone Ground, sold the ground from under the club without lining up a replacement.
- Family Tinder Stadium — hard to confirm who owns Carrot Road, but think it’s the club (strangely, only ground with no info — probably helps with insurance scams )
- Turf Moor - Turf Moor Properties Ltd (stadium ownership company set up by club’s co-Chairmen). Effectively club owned now — but was owned by another private company up until 2013/14.
- Vitality Stadium — sold to London-based property company, Stuctadene, in 2005 (presumably to raise cash) & now leased back. They were trying to buy it back in 2006, but seems they couldn’t agree a deal.

CHAMPIONSHIP:
- Hillsborough — owned separately by the owner, not the club
- Elland Road — Leeds only bought it back in 2017, held by parent company
- Pride Park — owned by owner Mel Morris
- City Ground, Forest — land owned by Council, stadium by club
- KCOM — owned by Hull City Council / KCOM
- Madejski — owned by RFC Holdings Ltd (whoever they are)
- Kirklees Stadium — shared ownership Huddersfield Council / Huddersfield / Huddersfield Giants
- Oakwell - owned by Barnsley Council
- The Den — owned by Lewisham Council
- Kenilworth Road — owned by Luton Borough Council
- Ricoh Arena, Coventry - Wasps Holdings Ltd. We all know what's been happening there.

LEAGUE 1:
- Stadium MK — owned by Inter MK, whose MD is also the MK Dons Chairman (Pete Winkleman) — not quite sure about how that ownership model all works
- FPR — council obvs
- London Road/ABAX/ Weston Homes Stadium— not sure, but Posh owners were trying to “buy back the ABAX Stadium from the local authority” in Jan 19.
- Kassam Stadium — owned by Firoka Group, the company of ex-owner of Oxford Utd, Firoz Kassam (he sold club in 2006 but retained ownership of stadium -something we wouldn’t want to see happen to FPR)
- Highbury Stadium (Fleetwood) - Wyre Borough Council
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 13:39]

Wow that's good research.

I thought we were in a fairly unique situation but it seems lots of councils own the land and/or stadium. Guess the real reason he can't sell the club is because he wants his £100 million pounds back!
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:29 - Mar 6 with 2220 viewsDerryfromBury

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 10:54 - Mar 6 by Pinewoodblue

The land can only be used for sports activities. Not sure it really has a high value with restrictions in force.

Whoever holds the freehold can always apply for a change of use. Happens all the time, all the agri land and back gardens being developed will have gone through this process.
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:37 - Mar 6 with 2191 viewsSwansea_Blue

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:27 - Mar 6 by NotSure

I thought we were in a fairly unique situation but it seems lots of councils own the land and/or stadium. Guess the real reason he can't sell the club is because he wants his £100 million pounds back!

Thanks, but I am wondering why I did that

I did come across a few examples of new owners buying a club for £1 and taking on the debt. You're probably right - I doubt anyone would want to take on a loss making business and £100m of debt (or whatever it is now). And I doubt ME would be happy with £1.

The cases that jumped out are where clubs got into difficulties and had to sell the ground to raise funds (presumably to release cashflow) and a couple of cases of unscrupulous owners selling grounds from underneath the club. Brighton's a good example - I can remember them bouncing around different grounds not sure whether or where they'd be playin g next.

I missed Ricoh Arena off the list - separately owned . And that's been a public falling out between Club and owners. That would presumably put new owners off buying Coventry.

I think we're in a pretty good place with the Council. Dodgy practices are less likely than with a private investment/development company. And we have community asset status https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-23942248

Right, back to real work!

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:43 - Mar 6 with 2166 viewsGuthrum

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 12:54 - Mar 6 by tractorboy7777

Much like the Marcus Evans (Guernsey) Limited now own the training ground

But not built upon, even partially.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:56 - Mar 6 with 2108 viewsRadlett_blue

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:37 - Mar 6 by Swansea_Blue

Thanks, but I am wondering why I did that

I did come across a few examples of new owners buying a club for £1 and taking on the debt. You're probably right - I doubt anyone would want to take on a loss making business and £100m of debt (or whatever it is now). And I doubt ME would be happy with £1.

The cases that jumped out are where clubs got into difficulties and had to sell the ground to raise funds (presumably to release cashflow) and a couple of cases of unscrupulous owners selling grounds from underneath the club. Brighton's a good example - I can remember them bouncing around different grounds not sure whether or where they'd be playin g next.

I missed Ricoh Arena off the list - separately owned . And that's been a public falling out between Club and owners. That would presumably put new owners off buying Coventry.

I think we're in a pretty good place with the Council. Dodgy practices are less likely than with a private investment/development company. And we have community asset status https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-23942248

Right, back to real work!

If Evans wants out of Town, he writes of the debt and recoups the maximum anyone will pay him for a debt free Town, say £15m or so. No other options that make any sense.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:02 - Mar 6 with 2096 viewsPhilTWTD

He doesn't!
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:36 - Mar 6 with 2041 viewslondontractorboy57

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 13:56 - Mar 6 by Radlett_blue

If Evans wants out of Town, he writes of the debt and recoups the maximum anyone will pay him for a debt free Town, say £15m or so. No other options that make any sense.

Then he sells playford rd which is owned by another Evans holding company.
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:41 - Mar 6 with 2012 viewsitfcjoe

Hopefully the council never do sell it - why would we want an owner who then has the ability to sell Portman Road?

A part of me would die if we were to ever leave PR

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:44 - Mar 6 with 2006 viewsPhilTWTD

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:36 - Mar 6 by londontractorboy57

Then he sells playford rd which is owned by another Evans holding company.

While that's the case, I don't think there's ever been any serious suggestion it wouldn't be sold along with the rest of the club. Difficult to sell the club without a training ground.
Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 15:35 - Mar 6 with 1926 viewsBryanPlug

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:44 - Mar 6 by PhilTWTD

While that's the case, I don't think there's ever been any serious suggestion it wouldn't be sold along with the rest of the club. Difficult to sell the club without a training ground.

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 15:36 - Mar 6 with 1923 viewsjaykay

i would give up now, while you are behind. that's is the second post you have got wrong

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 15:40 - Mar 6 with 1915 viewsjeera

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 14:44 - Mar 6 by PhilTWTD

There's a car park across the road from the ground.

They could use that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Until the council sell the land at Portman Road ... on 15:41 - Mar 6 with 1917 viewsOxford_Blue

I doubt it’s an issue.

What is stopping the club being sold is the £6m a year loss it makes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024