Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hound Insurance Help. 18:19 - Mar 8 with 3815 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The insurance renewal for my trusty 8 year old Golden Retriever arrived yesterday, just shy of £97 per month, up from £49 per month this previous year. The cover is for up to 7.5k. She had treatment last autumn and they paid out promptly, for just over 2k, but this seems like a bit of an excessive hike in repayments, so......................................
Any advice on a decent policy that gives good cover, but not too hard on the pocket please.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Hound Insurance Help. on 18:30 - Mar 8 with 3785 viewsLord_Lucan

I think you just need to shop around but we have two dogs on Tesco and it's reasonable - although I can't remember how much.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Hound Insurance Help. on 18:44 - Mar 8 with 3757 viewsRyorry

Sorry to say that the older they get, the more the price gets hoicked. Pet Plan is better than most on covering 10+ year olds, but I've a nasty vague recollection that you need to have been with them since the mutt was a pup for this. My dog's now in that senior age group, I pay £78 pcm for him. They paid out OK for an op he had to remove lump + kidney a couple of years ago which would have cost £several thousand if uninsured.

You do have to read the small print of them all tho - there's an excess of about a couple of hundred when you claim off PetPlan - but on *each* condition you claim for; & there's a max you can claim on *each* condition too per year ... insurance companies are crafty beggars ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:00 - Mar 8 with 3727 viewstrueblue1970

Shop around but you will find they won’t cover for condition you have already claimed for

I recently had a claim refused with Tesco they tried everything not to pay out (my first claim in5yrs) after a lot of of complaining and threats to go to ombudsman they eventually paid out

We stopped insuring our old spaniel she is 16 once it got to £100 a month about 3 yrs ago we put the money away instead so it’s there if we need it
Hound Insurance Help. on 19:02 - Mar 8 with 3727 viewsbrogansnose

Hound Insurance Help. on 18:44 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

Sorry to say that the older they get, the more the price gets hoicked. Pet Plan is better than most on covering 10+ year olds, but I've a nasty vague recollection that you need to have been with them since the mutt was a pup for this. My dog's now in that senior age group, I pay £78 pcm for him. They paid out OK for an op he had to remove lump + kidney a couple of years ago which would have cost £several thousand if uninsured.

You do have to read the small print of them all tho - there's an excess of about a couple of hundred when you claim off PetPlan - but on *each* condition you claim for; & there's a max you can claim on *each* condition too per year ... insurance companies are crafty beggars ...

Pretty much what you're saying R. I was paying £800 per annum for mine and he was ten years old. I think it was with Pet Emporium who were good. I had their bronze cover but being an idiot it only covered me for £2,500 for each problem with a £85 excess and I had to pay 15% of the vets fee. Anyway, he got very ill and I had no issues with them paying out but it left me well short of the total costs. Clearly, to get top cover its damn expensive. Unfortunately he had liver cancer and there was nowhere to really go with that.

RIP Alf.
Hound Insurance Help. on 19:14 - Mar 8 with 3698 viewsjas0999

Churchill are usually very competitive with pet insurance.
Hound Insurance Help. on 19:43 - Mar 8 with 3667 viewsRyorry

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:02 - Mar 8 by brogansnose

Pretty much what you're saying R. I was paying £800 per annum for mine and he was ten years old. I think it was with Pet Emporium who were good. I had their bronze cover but being an idiot it only covered me for £2,500 for each problem with a £85 excess and I had to pay 15% of the vets fee. Anyway, he got very ill and I had no issues with them paying out but it left me well short of the total costs. Clearly, to get top cover its damn expensive. Unfortunately he had liver cancer and there was nowhere to really go with that.

RIP Alf.

R.I.P. Alf.

So sorry to hear that Brogy.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:48 - Mar 8 with 3662 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Hound Insurance Help. on 18:30 - Mar 8 by Lord_Lucan

I think you just need to shop around but we have two dogs on Tesco and it's reasonable - although I can't remember how much.

I,m with Tesco now.

Think i will give them a ring tomorrow and have a bit of a whinge and see where that gets me.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:52 - Mar 8 with 3653 viewsBloomBlue

Once a dog (pet) get to a certain age all companies charge a fortune, bit like humans and life insurance or travel insurance, once you reach a certain age it's either too expensive or they wont insure you. My daughter has a 15 year old patterdale and her renewal insurance quote was £900, shopped around and the best she was quoted was £600 but with £1000 excess, it was cheaper to insure the car. Her other option was where insurance companies offer different levels of cover of bronze, silver etc trouble there was the lowest cover was cheap but basically covered nothing

Try shopping around but double check if the condition it recently had is covered should the condition return a lot of insurance companies wont cover that in pets. The RSPCA insurance did cover everything and anything but have become very expensive recently.
Login to get fewer ads

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:57 - Mar 8 with 3648 viewsjeera

I suppose theoretically we should open a specific account for our dogs when we take one on. Most of us don't of course.

I never paid pet insurance on my 2 for the time they were with me but that was probably a bit chancy.

One only needed proper treatment once in 10 years which was some 600 quid.

The other had to be stitched up a few times because she would insist on going places she shouldn't. The only op she had was to be spayed.

In all I took my chances and only paid out when they needed it but that was fortunate I suppose.

The eldest had all sorts when she was 16 but who the hell is going to start cutting open a dog at that age anyway?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hound Insurance Help. on 20:01 - Mar 8 with 3641 viewsbrogansnose

Hound Insurance Help. on 19:43 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

R.I.P. Alf.

So sorry to hear that Brogy.

Thanks R. Living with a big hole in my life right now.
Hound Insurance Help. on 20:04 - Mar 8 with 3636 viewsjeera

Hound Insurance Help. on 20:01 - Mar 8 by brogansnose

Thanks R. Living with a big hole in my life right now.

Sorry to hear this mate.

There's not much worse in my mind.

Didn't realise it was recent, not that makes all the difference. You love them and they love you and it's one of the best relationships we could ever hope to experience.

Sounds soppy, but it's the truth.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hound Insurance Help. on 20:15 - Mar 8 with 3621 viewsbrogansnose

Hound Insurance Help. on 20:04 - Mar 8 by jeera

Sorry to hear this mate.

There's not much worse in my mind.

Didn't realise it was recent, not that makes all the difference. You love them and they love you and it's one of the best relationships we could ever hope to experience.

Sounds soppy, but it's the truth.

Thanks buh, don't want to de - rail the thread about me but, yeah, bloke stopped me in Cambridge in the week selling a new dog food and asked me if I had a dog. It took me ages to answer while I realised that I didn't. Knocked me sideways.

Anyway, moral is, get the bestest cover possible, they're worth it.
Hound Insurance Help. on 20:25 - Mar 8 with 3603 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So have you been paying £600 per year for 8 years, in return for a £2k payout?

Better off putting some money away in an account that can be used if needed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Hound Insurance Help. on 06:56 - Mar 9 with 3502 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Hound Insurance Help. on 20:25 - Mar 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

So have you been paying £600 per year for 8 years, in return for a £2k payout?

Better off putting some money away in an account that can be used if needed.

No, took the insurance out 3 years ago, initially £24.00 per month.
Will be possibly looking to reduce the cover limit.
Thanks to all the replies folks.

Hound Insurance Help. on 08:21 - Mar 9 with 3460 viewsGeoffSentence

We have stopped insuring our dog, he is a 14 year old lab so getting towards the end anyway, anything major that crops up now will probably finish him off.

But it's a funny thing, he is on meds for arthritis, and as soon as we dropped the insurance the vets offered to write prescription for his meds rather than supply them directly and we were able to get them at a fraction of the cost that they were charging the insurance company.

It's the same with human health insurance, a friend of mine had a condition that required a hospital stay, he had private health insurance and the health providers were charging £60 for a single paracetamol.

It is a racket.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 8:22]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hound Insurance Help. on 08:35 - Mar 9 with 3441 viewsElephantintheRoom

So you think that pet insurance is an animal charity run for your benefit?

Sorry no - and it is singlehandedly funding the conversion of local vet practices into high-profit national chains staffed by locums trained to ask 'do you have insurance' as their first diagnosis

Taking three years to recoup their loss, whilst risking ever-increasing payouts seems reasonable to me. You'll have to disclose the reason for the payout anyway if approaching other insurers anyway.

Try an alternative approach - change your vet to a proper one IF you still have one in the area... and don't get any insurance at all. Think of the savings that'll give you - and your dog will probably be happier as well.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hound Insurance Help. on 08:43 - Mar 9 with 3428 viewsGeoffSentence

Hound Insurance Help. on 08:35 - Mar 9 by ElephantintheRoom

So you think that pet insurance is an animal charity run for your benefit?

Sorry no - and it is singlehandedly funding the conversion of local vet practices into high-profit national chains staffed by locums trained to ask 'do you have insurance' as their first diagnosis

Taking three years to recoup their loss, whilst risking ever-increasing payouts seems reasonable to me. You'll have to disclose the reason for the payout anyway if approaching other insurers anyway.

Try an alternative approach - change your vet to a proper one IF you still have one in the area... and don't get any insurance at all. Think of the savings that'll give you - and your dog will probably be happier as well.

Yep, so far as I can see, being a vet is now as much a sales position as a medical one.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:13 - Mar 15 with 3312 viewstrueblue1970

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:14 - Mar 21 with 3220 viewstrueblue1970

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024