Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have 20:23 - Mar 8 with 5071 viewsCoco

history of working on a tight budget, proven record of developing young players, play good football in the lower leagues and would have the majority of the fans support.

My choices:

Karl Robinson
Nathan Jones

Or you go unproven but potentially good:
A Neil Critchley type (Mentioned this before Blackpool swooped)
Kieron Dyer

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 20:28 - Mar 8 with 3963 viewsFtnfwest

Of the ones with history yes but we ought to be scouting out a good assistant manager option from one of the bigger or better championship clubs. Would never occur to Evans of course
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 22:28 - Mar 8 with 3738 viewsDoctor_Earman

John McGreal at Col U would probably fit the bill. No money to spend, big emphasis on producing players through the academy and giving them first-team opportunities, would have the fans support as an ex-player. Not sure about the football though.

It's all pretty irrelevant though as a) that model doesn't work in the Championship and would inevitably lead to relegation, and b) Evans' '5 point plan' is a load of PR spin (as usual). Just look at the idea of developing young players. We have the ~18th youngest squad in the league - hardly giving academy products a chance is it!
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 23:22 - Mar 8 with 3660 viewsMoriarty

Carlos Corberan.

fka omuircheartaigh

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 23:28 - Mar 8 with 3649 viewsTonytown

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 23:22 - Mar 8 by Moriarty

Carlos Corberan.

Why would he leave Leeds to come here?
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 00:36 - Mar 9 with 3585 viewshector_clifford

David Unsworth perhaps.
He has done a very good job with Everton u23s.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 07:11 - Mar 9 with 3399 viewsChrisd

Why would Karl Robinson leave a club like Oxford United that are on the up and come to us? He's got something good developing there, why throw that all away and come to the mad house that is PR? However, Nathan Jones I would take.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 7:12]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:22 - Mar 9 with 3246 viewsitfcjoe

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 07:11 - Mar 9 by Chrisd

Why would Karl Robinson leave a club like Oxford United that are on the up and come to us? He's got something good developing there, why throw that all away and come to the mad house that is PR? However, Nathan Jones I would take.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 7:12]

It sounded like Karl Robinson was happy to leave Oxford for Blackpool a few weeks back, but it was blocked by Oxford so he may be up for coming here as Blackpool aren't exactly a mega attractive proposition right now, even with a new owner.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:22 - Mar 9 with 3246 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 22:28 - Mar 8 by Doctor_Earman

John McGreal at Col U would probably fit the bill. No money to spend, big emphasis on producing players through the academy and giving them first-team opportunities, would have the fans support as an ex-player. Not sure about the football though.

It's all pretty irrelevant though as a) that model doesn't work in the Championship and would inevitably lead to relegation, and b) Evans' '5 point plan' is a load of PR spin (as usual). Just look at the idea of developing young players. We have the ~18th youngest squad in the league - hardly giving academy products a chance is it!

This Mcgreal stuff always baffles me. He fails with Col u every year. He has a good squad there and can never sustain a run

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:25 - Mar 9 with 3228 viewsCoastalblue

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:22 - Mar 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

This Mcgreal stuff always baffles me. He fails with Col u every year. He has a good squad there and can never sustain a run

I think it's just an ex player in management that people see. I said a little while ago I very much doubt many Col U fans would be very upset if we took McGreal away from them, and that tells it's own story.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:32 - Mar 9 with 3190 viewsHerbivore

I think what we really need is someone alongside O'Neil in a genuine DoF kind of role to take care of off field stuff and long term strategy. That opens up more possibilities for who we can bring in as head coach. With that structure in place we can take a punt on a young coach with a bit of pedigree if we wish. We can't really do that at the minute, the job is too big for them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:44 - Mar 9 with 3156 viewsElephantintheRoom

You should remember the last manager who last had the security of a five year contract - well maybe a five year plan.... George Burley.

Year after year he was utterly hopeless and rescued by an 'experienced coach' who seemingly turned Town's seasons around with a snap of the fingers.

One possible route is to appoint a decent coach with a view to helping then succeeding Lambo - with Lambo destined for the director of football role his PR skills and Scottishness would appear to be well suited.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:47 - Mar 9 with 3145 viewsHerbivore

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:44 - Mar 9 by ElephantintheRoom

You should remember the last manager who last had the security of a five year contract - well maybe a five year plan.... George Burley.

Year after year he was utterly hopeless and rescued by an 'experienced coach' who seemingly turned Town's seasons around with a snap of the fingers.

One possible route is to appoint a decent coach with a view to helping then succeeding Lambo - with Lambo destined for the director of football role his PR skills and Scottishness would appear to be well suited.

So edgy, so wrong.

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:50 - Mar 9 with 3132 viewstractorboy1978

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:32 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

I think what we really need is someone alongside O'Neil in a genuine DoF kind of role to take care of off field stuff and long term strategy. That opens up more possibilities for who we can bring in as head coach. With that structure in place we can take a punt on a young coach with a bit of pedigree if we wish. We can't really do that at the minute, the job is too big for them.

That is my biggest gripe with Evans and something I really don't understand. If I become a billionaire over night and bought the club, the first thing I would do is employ someone with some background/experience in running a club day to day. It is just common sense.
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:52 - Mar 9 with 3119 viewsHerbivore

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:50 - Mar 9 by tractorboy1978

That is my biggest gripe with Evans and something I really don't understand. If I become a billionaire over night and bought the club, the first thing I would do is employ someone with some background/experience in running a club day to day. It is just common sense.

He tends to pay his managers pretty well because he expects them to essentially run the club. I doubt it'd even end up costing him much more to have a DoF and head coach rather than a manager basically doing it all.

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:53 - Mar 9 with 3118 viewsChrisd

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:22 - Mar 9 by itfcjoe

It sounded like Karl Robinson was happy to leave Oxford for Blackpool a few weeks back, but it was blocked by Oxford so he may be up for coming here as Blackpool aren't exactly a mega attractive proposition right now, even with a new owner.

Good point, completely forgot about that story.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 09:16 - Mar 9 with 3056 viewsEastKentBlue

Which is fine until you realise the structure doesn't actually work. Our two most exciting prospects we now face losing for tribunal fees either this summer or next. Then Downes and even Woolfenden could go (the only 2 that have actually consistently been selected). We need a proper sporting director to make decisions within an agreed structure or we will never move on from this malaise, not a former middle school PE teacher.
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 09:35 - Mar 9 with 3012 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Karl Robinson in a heartbeat for me.

I think he is outstanding, both tactically, and man management.

Still only 39 years old, considering has been a manager now for a decade is incredible. Still has so much to offer, and fits into a long term project at the club.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 09:47 - Mar 9 with 2975 viewsPhilTWTD

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:22 - Mar 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Has been suggested to me he may be jettisoned by Col U in the summer.
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:00 - Mar 9 with 2911 viewstractorboy1978

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 08:52 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

He tends to pay his managers pretty well because he expects them to essentially run the club. I doubt it'd even end up costing him much more to have a DoF and head coach rather than a manager basically doing it all.

We just have a completely outdated structure. So many clubs that once envied us have over taken us with progressive leadership, better scouting networks, recruitment and just by quite simply being more clever than us. It's not all about money, Evans has run us poorly for a long time.
Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:03 - Mar 9 with 2891 viewsrickw

Karl Robinson with Kieron Dyer as assistant sounds like an ideal team to me!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:04 - Mar 9 with 2889 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 09:47 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

Has been suggested to me he may be jettisoned by Col U in the summer.

I like John McGreal, think he's done a good job at Col U personally.

Surely McGreal being abandoned would be ridiculous? Missed out on play-offs by one place on the final day last year and are currently 6th in the play-offs right now.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:04]

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:04 - Mar 9 with 2888 viewsSwansea_Blue

This 5 point plan is a bit of a myth isn't it? It's about 4 years old now and I don't think we've stuck to any point:

1. 'To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy' - question mark on this one - I've no idea if he's invested significantly in the academy. And what is 'significant' anyway?

2. He didn't provide a competitive salary budget (one of the lowest in the championship)

3. Buying young talent and developing them? Jury out - who have we bought and then developed into something better? Last one was probably Tyrone wasn't it? We're not buying anyone with potential in them.

4. Maintaining a stable management team. Remember this goes back to Mick's time, so we've completely changed direction twice since then (and need to again). And when we stick, we stick too long.

5. To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football - we haven't developed a team, let alone played exciting football.

It's all a big con.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:06 - Mar 9 with 2872 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:04 - Mar 9 by Swansea_Blue

This 5 point plan is a bit of a myth isn't it? It's about 4 years old now and I don't think we've stuck to any point:

1. 'To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy' - question mark on this one - I've no idea if he's invested significantly in the academy. And what is 'significant' anyway?

2. He didn't provide a competitive salary budget (one of the lowest in the championship)

3. Buying young talent and developing them? Jury out - who have we bought and then developed into something better? Last one was probably Tyrone wasn't it? We're not buying anyone with potential in them.

4. Maintaining a stable management team. Remember this goes back to Mick's time, so we've completely changed direction twice since then (and need to again). And when we stick, we stick too long.

5. To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football - we haven't developed a team, let alone played exciting football.

It's all a big con.

3 and 5 are the big problems for me.

Salary more than competitive at this level, although not spent wisely in the first place.

Think KVY is a young talent we will develop, has to more prevalent though than one every 4 years.

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:11 - Mar 9 with 2834 viewsSwansea_Blue

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:06 - Mar 9 by TheTrueBlue1878

3 and 5 are the big problems for me.

Salary more than competitive at this level, although not spent wisely in the first place.

Think KVY is a young talent we will develop, has to more prevalent though than one every 4 years.

He's only now met the salary point by dropping down a league, but yes at this level we should have the funds to compete.

I'd almost forgotten about KVY - totally agree, he's our one for this year. If we can find one a year like him we'll be doing well.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:17]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:24 - Mar 9 with 2787 viewstractorboy1978

Managers who would actually fit Evans' 5-point plan, are in our reach, have on 10:04 - Mar 9 by Swansea_Blue

It's all a big con.

Re point 3 - Webster and I'd argue Waghorn too. It doesn't have to be kids we buy, just players that we can improve and sell on at a profit. Heck, we even made a profit on Garner. That's the model we should be operating. Despite it being in the "plan" though, Evans baulks whenever we have to outlay a half decent fee. And when you don't have an adequate scouting/recruitment network in place it is difficult to make this work.

Point 4 is a bit pointless when (again, as above) you don't have the correct structure in place above the manager. And when the manager is performing poorly you end up giving them too long.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024