Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had 23:50 - Mar 9 with 8782 viewsCheltenham_Blue

to pick from ahead of the Nodge game in 2009, immediately before he was canned. Its horribly clear the scale of downgrading that has happened at the club over that last 10 years.

1. Richard Wright
2. David Wright
4. Gareth McAuley
5. Alex Bruce
7. Owen Garvan
8. Tommy Miller
9. Pablo Counago
10. David Norris
11. Kevin Lisbie
12. Jamie Peters
14. Jon Stead
15. Pim Balkestein
16. Chris Casement
17. Dean Bowditch
18. Danny Haynes
19. Jon Walters
20. Giovani Dos Santos (Loan)
21. Ivan Campo
22. Moritz Voltz (Loan)
22. Alan Quinn
26. Veliče Šumulikoski
27. Shane Supple
28. Bartosz Białkowski (Loan)
30. Matt Richards
33. Ben Thatcher
35. Tommy Smith
36. Liam Trotter
38. Jordan Rhodes
40. Connor Wickham

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 00:13 - Mar 10 with 7703 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but We've Got Brexit Done now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 02:27 - Mar 10 with 7616 viewsIllinoisblue

Evans is killing us yet keeps us alive. Strange and ridiculous times at Portman Road.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 05:45 - Mar 10 with 7502 viewsbournemouthblue

Evans gave it a crack under Magic, Keane and Jewell

After that he has retracted

His biggest mistake was not backing McCarthy when we were really in the mix for Promotion

The rest is history

I fear actually despite people disliking Lambert that not backing him in January is why we will be in League One next season now and probably without him in charge

It maybe a blessing though because I think we would come straight back down with this current squad. A season of learning from this seasons mistakes and developing the squad may put us in better stead for the Championship

That said, if we sell Wolfy, Downes and Jackson and then fail to invest properly

It will be another disappointing season

I fear things could get worse before they get better, Evans simply never seems to learn
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 5:58]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 06:20 - Mar 10 with 7434 viewsWeWereZombies

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 05:45 - Mar 10 by bournemouthblue

His biggest mistake was not backing McCarthy when we were really in the mix for Promotion

The rest is history

I fear actually despite people disliking Lambert that not backing him in January is why we will be in League One next season now and probably without him in charge

It maybe a blessing though because I think we would come straight back down with this current squad. A season of learning from this seasons mistakes and developing the squad may put us in better stead for the Championship

That said, if we sell Wolfy, Downes and Jackson and then fail to invest properly

I fear things could get worse before they get better, Evans simply never seems to learn

Seeing the squad in the OP and reflecting on what has happened since it does raise the suspicion that Marcus Evans came in with the primary aim of trimming the wage bill and success on the pitch as a secondary thing. I doubt this is his modus operandi for hospitality but that is the business where he is the one cleaning out other people's pockets and not having his cleaned out.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:08 - Mar 10 with 7275 viewsChurchman

It is an extremely interesting comparison. I wonder what McCarthy would have done with it, given it looks stronger at first glance than his team five years ago. There were some decent championship players in that lot.

The club is dying in every way. It is clear is that Evans policy of sell your better players, replace with cheaper/cut costs means you need a miracle worker which PL most certainly isn’t or a magic wand. Add in facilities and stadia that have had little spent on them and the picture is clear where we are heading.

It doesn’t have to be like this in my view. Evans should be asking himself why so many clubs with so much less have done better in the past ten years, but I honestly don’t think he cares. It’s so sad.
When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:12 - Mar 10 with 7253 viewsFenland_Blue

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 06:20 - Mar 10 by WeWereZombies

Seeing the squad in the OP and reflecting on what has happened since it does raise the suspicion that Marcus Evans came in with the primary aim of trimming the wage bill and success on the pitch as a secondary thing. I doubt this is his modus operandi for hospitality but that is the business where he is the one cleaning out other people's pockets and not having his cleaned out.

He was in it for a quick nice tidy profit slip Keane in, spend a bit of cash on transfers and promoted straight away, then sell and make a few quid.

But he is stuck with us and us with him, being in league 1 for a while won't bother him, he's slashed the wage bill in 12 months from £17 million to £5.5 million and he starts over again without having to put £5-6 million in every summer to keep us ticking over.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:13 - Mar 10 with 7239 viewsBluefish

I'm not sure you are factoring in the stage of those players careers

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:29 - Mar 10 with 7185 viewsBloomBlue

Was there FFP then? I forget when it was introduced
Login to get fewer ads

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:32 - Mar 10 with 7170 viewsHerbivore

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 05:45 - Mar 10 by bournemouthblue

The rest is history

There was evidently some funding available in January, just not enough to stretch to the likes of Connor Wickham.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:33 - Mar 10 with 7168 viewsNo9

Isn't that the root cause of present day problems?
A list of under-performers ?
When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:41 - Mar 10 with 7123 viewsHerbivore

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:13 - Mar 10 by Bluefish

I'm not sure you are factoring in the stage of those players careers

Indeed. When you break it down it's really not that great a squad. Gio was class but he was only here for a few months and it was never going to be longer than that. There's some old timers in there and some yoots who weren't yet up to much. McAuley and Walters were decent as was David Wright but there's a good deal of mediocrity in that squad too.

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:56 - Mar 10 with 7074 viewshampstead_blue

Now that is a huge squad!

Very good squad.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:57 - Mar 10 with 7058 viewsBluefish

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:41 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

Indeed. When you break it down it's really not that great a squad. Gio was class but he was only here for a few months and it was never going to be longer than that. There's some old timers in there and some yoots who weren't yet up to much. McAuley and Walters were decent as was David Wright but there's a good deal of mediocrity in that squad too.

Perhaps they are desperate for the glory days of shumi and pim to return

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 08:00 - Mar 10 with 7046 viewsHerbivore

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:57 - Mar 10 by Bluefish

Perhaps they are desperate for the glory days of shumi and pim to return

They wouldn't even get into this team.

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 08:04 - Mar 10 with 7020 viewsBluefish

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 08:00 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

They wouldn't even get into this team.

Ah yes but just think about Alex Bruce and Kevin Lisbie ripping it up

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 08:49 - Mar 10 with 6895 viewsTractorJack

I think it shows that the overall quality of the Championship has increased.
When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 09:36 - Mar 10 with 6803 viewsBlueBadger

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:33 - Mar 10 by No9

Isn't that the root cause of present day problems?
A list of under-performers ?

Starting with two terrible managerial appointments back-to-back.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 09:44 - Mar 10 with 6764 viewsBlueBadger

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 07:12 - Mar 10 by Fenland_Blue

He was in it for a quick nice tidy profit slip Keane in, spend a bit of cash on transfers and promoted straight away, then sell and make a few quid.

But he is stuck with us and us with him, being in league 1 for a while won't bother him, he's slashed the wage bill in 12 months from £17 million to £5.5 million and he starts over again without having to put £5-6 million in every summer to keep us ticking over.

He'll still end up putting more in than he saves by having us stay down.

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:01 - Mar 10 with 6645 viewsRyorry

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 09:44 - Mar 10 by BlueBadger

He'll still end up putting more in than he saves by having us stay down.

This is what I don't get with him - he's *supposed* to be an astute businessman

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:08 - Mar 10 with 6625 viewsOxford_Blue

But he, Keane and Jewell were all given millions.
When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:09 - Mar 10 with 6619 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Think this is a fairly deceptive list when you just put it like that. Half of these were at the points in the career where either they were too young, past it or got better when they left us.

That's a fairly poor squad in my opinion.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:16 - Mar 10 with 6592 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hmmm - are you sure the current squad is much worse than that one? I think you are confusing a lot of them with the players they became or once were - not the pretty thin gruel that Jim was getting a pretty decent tune out of.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:27 - Mar 10 with 6554 viewsSwansea_Blue

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 00:13 - Mar 10 by BlueBadger

Yes, but We've Got Brexit Done now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 12:21 - Mar 10 with 6488 viewsBlueBadger

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 11:01 - Mar 10 by Ryorry

This is what I don't get with him - he's *supposed* to be an astute businessman

The thing is, for a relatively low outlay, particularly in compared the Championship, he could have built in some 'insurance' against us staying down by actually investing the squad last summer.

Though, with the benefit of hindsight, being able to ffer Lambert even more opportunity to chop and change his squad might not have been the sharpest move to be made.

When you look at the squad Jim Magilton had on 12:53 - Mar 10 with 6382 viewsnodge_blue

Yes that squad looks pretty strong on paper. Light years better than what we have.

Most interesting thing - I didnt realise that Bart was on loan with us back then!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024