Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy 11:22 - Mar 10 with 10742 viewsitfcjoe

Like Chelsea seem to have done with Frank Lampard - are there any obvious names that stick out?

Dyer seems to be the one of that profile who wants the job, has he done his coaching badges? He'd presumably be paired up with a Nash (or previously Hogg) who both have had success in the academy and hold their Pro Licences.

There was talk in the Athletic article about almost a cartel of academy guys who run the club, is it to be assumed that these guys are in that - and if so should they be given their opportunity if running the club anyway?

It will be interesting times when Lambert does inevitably get the boot, but can't help but feel that Evans will go down the experienced manager to try and get us straight back up route.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 11:45 - Mar 10 with 6291 viewsSamWhiteUK

We're in this league now, and I don't think we'll go down again, so I say to hell with it, go for a Dyer type.
If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 11:49 - Mar 10 with 6278 viewsHackneyblueboy

Joe, are you actually convinced he's going to go? Listening to Lee O'Neill and Stuart Watson it doesnt sound like its necessarily inevitable. I appreciate it's not there choice and ultimately Evans will decide but I think they may stick with him and give him another transfer window. I'm not advocating he should stay but just feel like Evans doesnt know where to turn and especially after backing him with a five year deal.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 11:49]
If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:07 - Mar 10 with 6212 viewsSuperfrans

I don't buy Dyer as a manager. Just can't see it.

I presumed that the academy people quoted in the Athletic piece might well have included Hogg (who is leaving, after all) and maybe the likes of Dozzell, Lee, Dyer, who previously coached there. It is unusual for a national news journalist to be able to get the kind of access that Simon Hughes seems to have got. Hence the assumption that they might be ex-players, as well as ex-academy coaches.

All complete guesswork of course.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:12 - Mar 10 with 6181 viewsitfcjoe

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 11:49 - Mar 10 by Hackneyblueboy

Joe, are you actually convinced he's going to go? Listening to Lee O'Neill and Stuart Watson it doesnt sound like its necessarily inevitable. I appreciate it's not there choice and ultimately Evans will decide but I think they may stick with him and give him another transfer window. I'm not advocating he should stay but just feel like Evans doesnt know where to turn and especially after backing him with a five year deal.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 11:49]

I just can't see how he can stay, his record is so poor and he just hasn't progressed us on the pitch at all - guess we'll see but I'd be amazed

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:12 - Mar 10 with 6168 viewsReuser_is_God

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 11:45 - Mar 10 by SamWhiteUK

We're in this league now, and I don't think we'll go down again, so I say to hell with it, go for a Dyer type.

You don’t think we’ll go down again?

I’d imagine you’ll rethink that statement when we replace Downes & Woolfenden with League 2 rejects in the summer.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:14 - Mar 10 with 6167 viewsitfcjoe

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:07 - Mar 10 by Superfrans

I presumed that the academy people quoted in the Athletic piece might well have included Hogg (who is leaving, after all) and maybe the likes of Dozzell, Lee, Dyer, who previously coached there. It is unusual for a national news journalist to be able to get the kind of access that Simon Hughes seems to have got. Hence the assumption that they might be ex-players, as well as ex-academy coaches.

I think he has something about him in that regard, he speaks well about the game when given the opportunity and think he has the self confidence to do it.

What we need is someone who has good contacts, and is willing to look inside the academy too - plus looking to play a technical and watchable style of football. I think fans will accept the step back in club stature more if we are trying to do things the right way.

But, I can't imagine Evans would think that

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:15 - Mar 10 with 6151 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Dyer- Wants it, believe he has badges.

Kuqi-Badges and wants it, shown interest many times and has managed a club unlike KD.

Holland?- Smart guy, Leader, I reckon he would make a good manager, not sure if he would want it though? I also wouldn't want him to ruin his legacy.

Burley-Probably not anymore

Butcher- Not really had success as a coach

Poyet + Tarricco- A sensible choice

Wellens+ NOEL HUNT- Doing decent at Swindon

They seem the options if we go ex player route

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:25 - Mar 10 with 6110 viewslazyblue

I think Dyer will be back before long as he was told .
Login to get fewer ads

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:31 - Mar 10 with 6072 viewsclive_baker

I don't think we necessarily need an ex player, but we do need a manager who will lead and make the difficult decisions with regards to personnel. We also need a manager who is proven at bringing through young talent.

The reality is Evans isn't going to dip his hand in his pocket too often, so for me our best chance is by working with the squad we do have and upskilling and nurturing these players, who I still believe are capable of getting out of this league. It's absolutely crucial that the next manager and his team can get on the training ground and work to get a tune out of this group. Also to work with the likes of Crowe, Morris, Folami, Simpson, Nydam, Cotter, McGavin, Lankester, Dobra, El Mizouni, Gibbs, Clements etc and help bring them through. Inevitably some won't make it, but to identify those that might and manage their progression appropriately is going to be vital in the short to medium term. If you couple that crop with the senior pros we have here, I do think the future could be very bright under the right leadership. There's definitely an opportunity to move a good handful of the senior heads on this summer, and to make a couple of choice senior hires, and that's why we're going to need someone with the balls to make those decisions and get them right.

Personally I would love to see someone really forward thinking and progressive, and arguably someone not already associated with the club might be in a better position to come here with no loyalties and a fresh lens. I've said it before in here but I like what David Artell has done at Crewe. Aside from the fact they're top, they've got real balls which is something we lack. They reflect him in that respect, dig in, work very hard and never say die. The amount of points they've won from losing positions is testament to that. He seems to have them really committed and up for it, which is one thing I don't think you can say of our squad. They can also play football though, they control possession but they tend to do it with purpose, attack with intent, create and score goals.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:32 - Mar 10 with 6069 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:15 - Mar 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

Dyer- Wants it, believe he has badges.

Kuqi-Badges and wants it, shown interest many times and has managed a club unlike KD.

Holland?- Smart guy, Leader, I reckon he would make a good manager, not sure if he would want it though? I also wouldn't want him to ruin his legacy.

Burley-Probably not anymore

Butcher- Not really had success as a coach

Poyet + Tarricco- A sensible choice

Wellens+ NOEL HUNT- Doing decent at Swindon

They seem the options if we go ex player route

Stuart Watson said on Twitter recently that he thinks Chambers would apply if it becomes available.

If Evans and Chambo have a good relationship and they can get in an experienced Number Two then it could happen

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:42 - Mar 10 with 6003 viewsSomethingBlue

I have a good feeling about Kieron but would be a bit nervous about him coming in at this point unless he had far more help above him than our managers currently get.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 12:59]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:47 - Mar 10 with 5971 viewsKieran_Knows

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:42 - Mar 10 by SomethingBlue

I have a good feeling about Kieron but would be a bit nervous about him coming in at this point unless he had far more help above him than our managers currently get.

I suspect he'd look to bring Bellamy in with him, although not sure if he'd leave the managers position at the Anderlecht Reserve side.

In an ideal world we'd have a proper DoF (or similar) above him, or some experience on the coaching side.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:48 - Mar 10 with 5964 viewshadleighboyblue

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:32 - Mar 10 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Stuart Watson said on Twitter recently that he thinks Chambers would apply if it becomes available.

If Evans and Chambo have a good relationship and they can get in an experienced Number Two then it could happen

Chambers with Skuse as number 2 ? ……………………is that what they've been hanging around for .…………....PLEASE NO NO NO
If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:50 - Mar 10 with 5949 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:48 - Mar 10 by hadleighboyblue

Chambers with Skuse as number 2 ? ……………………is that what they've been hanging around for .…………....PLEASE NO NO NO

Think it would be more likely Butcher as an experienced Nr 2 with Skuse as coach. Would be Evans cheapest option!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:00 - Mar 10 with 5915 viewsitfcjoe

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:31 - Mar 10 by clive_baker

I don't think we necessarily need an ex player, but we do need a manager who will lead and make the difficult decisions with regards to personnel. We also need a manager who is proven at bringing through young talent.

The reality is Evans isn't going to dip his hand in his pocket too often, so for me our best chance is by working with the squad we do have and upskilling and nurturing these players, who I still believe are capable of getting out of this league. It's absolutely crucial that the next manager and his team can get on the training ground and work to get a tune out of this group. Also to work with the likes of Crowe, Morris, Folami, Simpson, Nydam, Cotter, McGavin, Lankester, Dobra, El Mizouni, Gibbs, Clements etc and help bring them through. Inevitably some won't make it, but to identify those that might and manage their progression appropriately is going to be vital in the short to medium term. If you couple that crop with the senior pros we have here, I do think the future could be very bright under the right leadership. There's definitely an opportunity to move a good handful of the senior heads on this summer, and to make a couple of choice senior hires, and that's why we're going to need someone with the balls to make those decisions and get them right.

Personally I would love to see someone really forward thinking and progressive, and arguably someone not already associated with the club might be in a better position to come here with no loyalties and a fresh lens. I've said it before in here but I like what David Artell has done at Crewe. Aside from the fact they're top, they've got real balls which is something we lack. They reflect him in that respect, dig in, work very hard and never say die. The amount of points they've won from losing positions is testament to that. He seems to have them really committed and up for it, which is one thing I don't think you can say of our squad. They can also play football though, they control possession but they tend to do it with purpose, attack with intent, create and score goals.

I think an ex-player works with regards to getting more leeway when trying to inplement things - just look at OGS and Lampard, and even Arteta at Arsenal even though still early days.

I think the problem with promoting from within is you need an ego to make the difficult decisions, that isn't something Dyer lacks and the reality is if he needs to get rid of senior pros then I can't see him lacking the confidence to do so.

I am a massive fan of what Nathan Jones did at Luton, but obviously totally failed at Stoke - I think he could get a lot out of our squad, but the longer things go on the more you realise how unique each and every club is, and that getting a true understanding of that from the inside can be a huge help - something Artell has at Crewe, which may be difficult to implement elsewhere.

Unless you are going down gun for hire route like a Warnock, Pulis, or Mick then I think a young appointment like this may work.

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:03 - Mar 10 with 5887 viewsitfcjoe

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:42 - Mar 10 by SomethingBlue

Now or never maybe, if the opportunity did arise.

Think it would be interesting, even if long term proves the wrong decision I think he'd progress us in many ways in the mean time

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:05 - Mar 10 with 5863 viewsSomethingBlue

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:03 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

Now or never maybe, if the opportunity did arise.

Think it would be interesting, even if long term proves the wrong decision I think he'd progress us in many ways in the mean time

If pushed I'd be for it because it'd be so gut-wrenching if he went straight in somewhere else instead and made it. As long as the structure around him was sound then stranger things have worked.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:08 - Mar 10 with 5838 viewsCoco

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 12:07 - Mar 10 by Superfrans

I hear you but Bowyer got Charlton up. Lee Bowyer. Dyer has top contacts, played under Burley and Sir Bob and is someone a lot of current pros will remember. Ticks a lot of boxes for me, especially as he would surely lean on GB for advice. Dozzell would thrive under him.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:09 - Mar 10 with 5830 viewsBiGDonnie

Get Adam Tanner and Michael Chopra in!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:12 - Mar 10 with 5799 viewsHerbivore

Burley as DoF, Dyer as head coach. Dream ticket.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:43 - Mar 10 with 5721 viewsJohnny_Boy

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:12 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

You also said Hurst was going to be a decent manager for us.
Dyer a million times on 13:50 - Mar 10 with 5697 viewsDyland

And sooner rather than later. There must be people at the cub who can support him and mentor him. He ticks all the boxes in that regard, whereas I can't imagine Hurst and Lambert can be told anything. A massive gamble but it makes sense on a number of levels.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 14:03 - Mar 10 with 5643 viewsScuzzer

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:09 - Mar 10 by BiGDonnie

Get Adam Tanner and Michael Chopra in!

That's not to be sniffed at.

Established 1968

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 14:04 - Mar 10 with 5634 viewsBeckets

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:12 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

Dyer would be a good choice for season ticket sales and probably relatively cheap so that should be enough for Evans.
If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 14:14 - Mar 10 with 5563 viewsBlueBadger

If you were to go down the ex-player route, trying to link to the academy on 13:43 - Mar 10 by Johnny_Boy

You also said Hurst was going to be a decent manager for us.

You still think that Jewell should be in a job...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024