Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? 12:48 - Mar 11 with 1598 viewsChrisd

Really interesting to see how this plays out. Financially, I think there's too much at stake in the game to say finish the season now. If you are WBA or Leeds United being so close to the promised land with all it's riches and getting that snatched away, I can't see how either club would accept it, they can't be compensated. Also, from our point of view it would be typically our luck if Norwich escape relegation due to some rule change. How would lower league clubs survive not getting the income from attended games by cancelling the last couple of months of the season? Just really intrigued what league officials will do. There really is a lot to consider with the possible implications.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 12:51 - Mar 11 with 1582 viewsStokieBlue

Think it's entirely dependent on how it progresses in the UK. In the end, if it gets really bad, football isn't that important.

I guess the first step will be playing behind closed doors, then postponements if players are infected or isolating. Not really much can be done about missing attendance revenue unfortunately.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 13:12 - Mar 11 with 1491 viewsJ2BLUE

Matched played behind closed doors. Cancel all games between teams with nothing to play for.

Of all the things this virus is making me worry about, the ST payments aren't one of them. The club can keep mine and cancel.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 13:57 - Mar 11 with 1375 viewswrightsrightglove

At least we might play better behind closed doors without all the pressure from the big scary Portman Road crowd.....
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:27 - Mar 11 with 1251 viewsMercian

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 13:12 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Matched played behind closed doors. Cancel all games between teams with nothing to play for.

Of all the things this virus is making me worry about, the ST payments aren't one of them. The club can keep mine and cancel.

At least on paper every team in League 1 has something to play for. Bolton can still escape, Peterborough can go down and Tranmere can make the playoffs. Chances of any of these things happening is tiny but still possible and worthy of a legal challenge.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 17:27]
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:38 - Mar 11 with 1238 viewsgordon

I'm just waiting for the chairmen of Everton and Manchester United to announce that their teeam has coronavirus and so the season will have to be abandoned and struck from the record books.
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:44 - Mar 11 with 1220 viewsGluedtoBlue

If I had to place a bet I would go with the following:

- Games start behind closed doors but growing calls from health officials and those in the game force postponements.
- EURO 2020 is pushed back to 2021
- Season resumes with games running into June

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:49 - Mar 11 with 1206 viewsPecker

I was thinking about this earlier. Think everybody stays as they are, but are given the titles. So Liverpool would be premier league champions, but no relegation. Leeds the championship etc. Everybody stays as they are and reset for next season, if this thing has passed by then. Can't think of a fairer way of doing it.
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:05 - Mar 11 with 1164 viewsJ2BLUE

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:27 - Mar 11 by Mercian

At least on paper every team in League 1 has something to play for. Bolton can still escape, Peterborough can go down and Tranmere can make the playoffs. Chances of any of these things happening is tiny but still possible and worthy of a legal challenge.

For now yes. Once we get to the last 6 games or so I reckon we'll see 'nothing games' get called off and rightfully so.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:06 - Mar 11 with 1165 viewsGluedtoBlue

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:49 - Mar 11 by Pecker

I was thinking about this earlier. Think everybody stays as they are, but are given the titles. So Liverpool would be premier league champions, but no relegation. Leeds the championship etc. Everybody stays as they are and reset for next season, if this thing has passed by then. Can't think of a fairer way of doing it.

The major trouble with that is that Leeds don't care about the title. It's all about promotion, which you're not giving them.

Likewise you'd have all the teams fighting for CL football in uproar.

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:15 - Mar 11 with 1140 viewsRadlett_blue

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 17:27 - Mar 11 by Mercian

If some teams are given time off and then have to play someone's rivals then I can see someone complaining. The obvious solution is to play games behind closed doors if necessary. Yes, the PL should provide support to some clubs who need the income but I'm sure they won't rush to do that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:15 - Mar 11 with 1140 viewsPecker

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:06 - Mar 11 by GluedtoBlue

The major trouble with that is that Leeds don't care about the title. It's all about promotion, which you're not giving them.

Likewise you'd have all the teams fighting for CL football in uproar.

I agree, but can't think of a better option. To relegate clubs who be unfair, to promote clubs would be unfair. Life is more important than football.
How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:26 - Mar 11 with 1114 viewsGluedtoBlue

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:15 - Mar 11 by Pecker

I agree, but can't think of a better option. To relegate clubs who be unfair, to promote clubs would be unfair. Life is more important than football.

Void the entire season and replace all football coverage with footage of Liverpool fans in utter meltdown.

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:41 - Mar 11 with 1078 viewsvapour_trail

How is the season going to conclude with the Coronavirus looming? on 18:26 - Mar 11 by GluedtoBlue

Void the entire season and replace all football coverage with footage of Liverpool fans in utter meltdown.

I’m willing to pay a subscription for this service.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024