Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget 13:35 - Mar 11 with 3540 viewstractordownsouth

But it does beg the question... where did the magic money tree come from?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 13:37 - Mar 11 with 3527 viewsStokieBlue

I hope someone was keeping up with those spending commitments and they do have answers on where the money is going to come from.

Quite a lot like a Labour manifesto but without the nationalisation and asset seizing. Might be hard for McDonnell to counter except for obviously asking where the money is coming from.

SB

Edit: JC is responding - I thought it would be McDonnell.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 13:39]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 13:41 - Mar 11 with 3497 viewsDarth_Koont

Because Tories spend more in government. It's the secret money tree and they're not going to explain it or justify it because they want to keep the myth of them being fiscally trustworthy intact.

Pronouns: He/Him

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 13:47 - Mar 11 with 3460 viewsfooters

Borrowing at its cheapest levels in years. But remember, borrowing such huge sums to fund projects is hugely irresponsible and will only tank the economy.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 14:02 - Mar 11 with 3410 viewstractordownsouth

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 13:37 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

I hope someone was keeping up with those spending commitments and they do have answers on where the money is going to come from.

Quite a lot like a Labour manifesto but without the nationalisation and asset seizing. Might be hard for McDonnell to counter except for obviously asking where the money is coming from.

SB

Edit: JC is responding - I thought it would be McDonnell.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 13:39]

I liked a lot of it, however there was no mention of Brexit. I expect we'll see a lot of "if economic conditions allow" in the small print. Which, if most forecasts are correct, they won't.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 14:55 - Mar 11 with 3318 viewsr2d2

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 14:02 - Mar 11 by tractordownsouth

I liked a lot of it, however there was no mention of Brexit. I expect we'll see a lot of "if economic conditions allow" in the small print. Which, if most forecasts are correct, they won't.

Brexit is done mate, thats why. We have to sort trade agreements out now. Thats what is happening. No need to bang on about Brexit. It happened. Done. Move on to tge negotiations now.
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 15:01 - Mar 11 with 3306 viewstractordownsouth

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 14:55 - Mar 11 by r2d2

Brexit is done mate, thats why. We have to sort trade agreements out now. Thats what is happening. No need to bang on about Brexit. It happened. Done. Move on to tge negotiations now.

It's done in name only. The economic impacts are still to come, so it's entirely relevant and will shape our economic future for years to come.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 15:10 - Mar 11 with 3283 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I planted it out of the goodness of my heart.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 15:24 - Mar 11 with 3236 viewsElephantintheRoom

'Fiscal Headroom'

Plus with the cut in interest rates it's not exactly ruinously expensive to borrow at the moment.

The one good thing about HS2 is that if there is money for that - there is money for things which are actually needed.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 16:58 - Mar 11 with 3139 viewsmanchego

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 14:55 - Mar 11 by r2d2

It's not done in any meaningful way.
Even after December it's still going to trundle on and on.
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:04 - Mar 11 with 3128 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 16:58 - Mar 11 by manchego

It's not done in any meaningful way.
Even after December it's still going to trundle on and on.

You're forgetting that Cumming's slogan, shouted from the rooftops by Boris, has convinced some people that the act of leaving the EU is in no way linked to any of the consequences. As it was designed to do.

And that's before we introduce 'complex' concepts like still operating under EU rules during the transition period.

You're quite right, but wasting your time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:13 - Mar 11 with 3104 viewsHARRY10

Done /

Perhaps you could reminfd us why the UK is still in the customs union, single market. will be paying into the EU until 2063, will be using EU schedules (come what may) for the next ten years or so, will see the EU overseeing a botder within the UK and be using the ECJ for the forseeable.

I suspect as a brexiteer all of this is hard to grasp.

And maybe you could tell us when these 'trade agreement' talks will start ?
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:37 - Mar 11 with 3058 viewsLord_Lucan

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:13 - Mar 11 by HARRY10

Done /

Perhaps you could reminfd us why the UK is still in the customs union, single market. will be paying into the EU until 2063, will be using EU schedules (come what may) for the next ten years or so, will see the EU overseeing a botder within the UK and be using the ECJ for the forseeable.

I suspect as a brexiteer all of this is hard to grasp.

And maybe you could tell us when these 'trade agreement' talks will start ?

If you want to be clear about things without trying to distort facts and figures I think you will find that we will be paying into The EU until 1964 and this is due to outstanding EU pension liabilities, the cost PA equivalent to the current price of a decent Prem Centre Forward.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:41 - Mar 11 with 3052 viewsHARRY10

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:37 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

If you want to be clear about things without trying to distort facts and figures I think you will find that we will be paying into The EU until 1964 and this is due to outstanding EU pension liabilities, the cost PA equivalent to the current price of a decent Prem Centre Forward.

" distort facts and figures"

ahem, 1964 ?

and the rest is correct, try looking it up
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:14 - Mar 11 with 3020 viewsLord_Lucan

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 17:41 - Mar 11 by HARRY10

" distort facts and figures"

ahem, 1964 ?

and the rest is correct, try looking it up

Distort - inasmuch as the amounts leading up to 2064 are pretty much insignificant pension payments but your line makes them out to be significant EU fees

You couldn't lay straight in bed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:15 - Mar 11 with 3006 viewsGlasgowBlue

But where was the free broadband announcement? Very disapointed.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 18:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:57 - Mar 11 with 2974 viewstractordownsouth

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:15 - Mar 11 by GlasgowBlue

Balls

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:10 - Mar 11 with 2953 viewsDarth_Koont

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:15 - Mar 11 by GlasgowBlue

You can pretend to take the man out of the Conservatives but ...

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:12 - Mar 11 with 2944 viewsHARRY10

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 18:14 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

Distort - inasmuch as the amounts leading up to 2064 are pretty much insignificant pension payments but your line makes them out to be significant EU fees

You couldn't lay straight in bed.

So you're whining about something I never said.

And what I said was correct,

You could have stated 'that to clarify the amounts up to 2064 will be x' rather than trying to claim I was distorting stuff. And I would presume others would either already know what payments are due, or if not look it up.

It's not as if sources are not easily available.
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:26 - Mar 11 with 2918 viewsLord_Lucan

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:12 - Mar 11 by HARRY10

So you're whining about something I never said.

And what I said was correct,

You could have stated 'that to clarify the amounts up to 2064 will be x' rather than trying to claim I was distorting stuff. And I would presume others would either already know what payments are due, or if not look it up.

It's not as if sources are not easily available.

Alternatively you could have posted in a way that wasn't designed to mislead.

But that's not your style is it.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:29 - Mar 11 with 2905 viewsjeera

"Done".

Good grief.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:41 - Mar 11 with 2884 viewsHARRY10

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:26 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

Alternatively you could have posted in a way that wasn't designed to mislead.

But that's not your style is it.

Mislead who ?

If my style is around misleading then why would readers not check ?

There was nothing in that post that was not accurate - you chose to misread it and claim I was distorting things. I stated that the UK would be paying into the EU until 2064. That was all.

What your comment suggests is that while you know what the payments will amount to, and are for others would not.

So who is distorting there ?
Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 21:08 - Mar 11 with 2788 viewsGlasgowBlue

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 19:10 - Mar 11 by Darth_Koont

You can pretend to take the man out of the Conservatives but ...

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 21:43 - Mar 11 with 2746 viewsDarth_Koont

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 21:08 - Mar 11 by GlasgowBlue

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in the budget on 00:10 - Mar 12 with 2666 viewsbaxterbasics

Infrastructure spending is good. When the benefits of these projects are 5, 10 or more years away it's easy for governments to not bother.

It's only thanks to George Osborne and spreadsheet Phil that there is room to splurge.

I just hope we aren't in for ten years of this, which would be Gordon Brown all over again.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024