Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? 22:14 - Mar 11 with 6642 viewsSitfcB

I always want to see the English sides do well in European competitions but always favour Liverpool more so.

They’re a bloody good side to watch on the TV and even the other year when they lost out on the title they were good, I was gutted for them when they didn’t win it.

Glad that they’re finally going to do it this season and will be good to them lift the trophy.

They get so much hate off the neutrals online though.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 22:19 - Mar 11 with 5370 viewsvapour_trail

If you were twenty years older sitters, you’d get it. They were fcking competitors.

There’s absolutely no way their fans of a similar vintage will recognise this, but that’s what it is from us.

You’ll feel the same way about burton and Doncaster in your 40s.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 22:24 - Mar 11 with 5349 viewsFtnfwest

What Vapes said. Unbelievably, apart from forest for a couple of years they were the only side better than us in England between mid seventies and early 80s. Had some almighty battles with them over those years and before/since.
Used to want the English sides to do well but they haven’t been English sides in reality for many years so not bothered now.
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 23:00 - Mar 11 with 5248 viewsbazgammon

For me, Heysel, the European ban, their arrogant plastic fans many who can't find Liverpool on a map and would never dream of actually going to Anfield.

Poll: Lambert

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 23:09 - Mar 11 with 5231 viewsITFC_Forever

Every kid used to hate them in the 80s because they won everything going numerous times over and attracted all the local pricks at school who jumped on the glory–hunting bandwagon, talking about “our boys” and “us”, when none of them had been any nearer to Anfield than the rest of us.

That said, the FAC replay up there in 1992 shone a different light on it for me... the reception our team and and fans got from the genuine match-going Liverpool fans after a brilliant game and the standing ovation John Wark got when he was subbed, and seeing (and feeling) the aura Anfield has actually softened my feelings towards them.

Then a couple of years later at uni, a couple of mates were (proper) Liverpool fans and I went on the Kop with them a couple of times, the old Kop terrace being one the iconic terraces of the time.

Added to the battle(s) for justice they’ve been through over the years, I actually don’t mind them now and prefer them to most of the other big clubs in the Prem.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 15:09]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 23:16 - Mar 11 with 5199 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Like the team, like Klopp.

Hate the fans.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 9:34]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 08:39 - Mar 12 with 5034 viewsartsbossbeard

I don't think it's a fashionable thing it's just what it is.

Heysel
Getting English clubs kicked out of European competition
Being tarred with the same brush as them when abroad
Stealing cup final tickets out of the hands of kids at the turnstile (and then blaming UEFA for not providing enough tickets)
Fighting between themselves for these stolen match tickets
That god awful song
The Media love in -
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/mar/12/atletico-complete-anfield-

Not being gracious in defeat
Self promoting themselves as the best fans in the world whilst pushing senior citizens into water fountains in Barcelona, battering Bulgarian waiters over the head with paving slabs & going "on the rob" on away days every other weekend in the 80's.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 8:42]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 08:59 - Mar 12 with 4976 viewsDublinBlue84

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 23:16 - Mar 11 by TheTrueBlue1878

Like the team, like Klopp.

Hate the fans.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 9:34]

Arrogance and smugness for me.

Example: Michael Owen on BT Sport after the match last night throwing a tantrum live on TV.;

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:11 - Mar 12 with 4930 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 08:59 - Mar 12 by DublinBlue84

Arrogance and smugness for me.

Example: Michael Owen on BT Sport after the match last night throwing a tantrum live on TV.;

Unfair on Liverpool. Through sheer force of his clueless personality, Owen is going to bring down any club he's associated with.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:13 - Mar 12 with 4926 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

They are an awful club. I hate them.

Arrogant players such as Andy Robertson who thinks he is the new wave Roberto Carlos after one good season, disrespecting Messi on and off the pitch and them squirming and apologising when he got a load of stick.

Divers like Fabinho and Salah.

And they are very boring to watch, just get it wide and cross it. Very effective but there are loads of teams I would rather watch before Liverpool.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:33 - Mar 12 with 4881 viewsWeWereZombies

Ancient history - see also Manchester United and Chelsea. However I think we have to be careful of re-appreciating teams we used to despise just because they look good on the Match of the Day highlights. And also the personable nature of their managers in interview (whilst griping and grumbling about 'PR'Paul).

It does come down to the brilliance of individual players (Mane, Maguire, Abrahams) and their managers (Klopp making the successful transition to English football, Solskjær defying the critics, Lampard making the step up from rookie to Championship to Premiership so rapidly), people like to bathe in the reflected glory of people who get things right in the 'right' way.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 10:17 - Mar 12 with 4811 viewsElephantintheRoom

There are so many reason...

Whining scousers who took success for granted

Whining scousers who got English teams suspended from Europe

Whining scousers who whine from the co-commentator box

I take a different point of view - as 'English teams' are anything but 'English' it pleases me greatly when they lose in Europe as the money from the bloated Chumps League is destroying English football - and when an 'English team' does well, English football and the Premier League is the best in the world... until a goalie makes a mistake then it isn't.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 10:25 - Mar 12 with 4773 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:11 - Mar 12 by Darth_Koont

Unfair on Liverpool. Through sheer force of his clueless personality, Owen is going to bring down any club he's associated with.

I was going to add this but couldn't find it at the time.

Always worth bringing up whenever Owen is mentioned. Southall's line is brutal.

https://footballshirtcollective.com/2017/03/07/why-former-liverpool-star-michael

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 12:30 - Mar 12 with 4683 viewsSamWhiteUK

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 10:25 - Mar 12 by Darth_Koont

I was going to add this but couldn't find it at the time.

Always worth bringing up whenever Owen is mentioned. Southall's line is brutal.

https://footballshirtcollective.com/2017/03/07/why-former-liverpool-star-michael

I had the video tape of this as a kid, and watched it loads.

Only now I'm older do I find myself cringing at it. Can't say I'd ever noticed the "Well done, he's 13" before
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:20 - Mar 12 with 4585 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 12:30 - Mar 12 by SamWhiteUK

I had the video tape of this as a kid, and watched it loads.

Only now I'm older do I find myself cringing at it. Can't say I'd ever noticed the "Well done, he's 13" before

What's funny is that this is Michael Owen's own series - so even the film guys and editor decided he was a tw@t and left it in.

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:31 - Mar 12 with 4539 viewsJimmyJazz

Absolutely hated them in the 80's, as did most fans. Second best FA Cup Final for me was when Wimbledon beat them

But then they were rubbish for so long from the 90's onwards that the hatred moved onto Man Utd instead for much the same reasons

Back to 2020 and i'd much rather see Liverpool or Spurs triumph from the 'big 6' as neither have done much in the Premier for ages.

My pet hate these days is Man City for basically money reasons. Anyone but Citeh is my current preference

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:33 - Mar 12 with 4522 viewsgiant_stow

As a dirty canary, they cost us time in Europe thanks to the ban.

Don't hate them though - live's too short.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:35 - Mar 12 with 4500 viewsSomethingBlue

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:13 - Mar 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

Arrogant players such as Andy Robertson who thinks he is the new wave Roberto Carlos after one good season, disrespecting Messi on and off the pitch and them squirming and apologising when he got a load of stick.

And they are very boring to watch, just get it wide and cross it. Very effective but there are loads of teams I would rather watch before Liverpool.

Bit fo a weird one to pin on Andy Robertson, for one. He is nothing like that.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:45 - Mar 12 with 4465 viewsIwasthere

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 09:13 - Mar 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

So do I hate them.
LiVARpool have been so lucky this season with all the other tpp teams rebuilding.
Kloop is a bad losing clown. Anyone with a footballing brain would have picked Mane or Salah in goal. They are much better divers than Adrian.
Can't wait to see them win the PL behind closed doors.
It always happens to the poor scousers, my heart bleeds for them.
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 14:18 - Mar 12 with 4381 viewssolemio

In the days of the great Bill Shankly it was quite difficult to dislike Liverpool. I agree that times have changed.
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 14:41 - Mar 12 with 4337 viewsSE1blue

I definitely don't hate them but one incident for me really sticks out.

Mid to late 80s Alan Hansen pulled down one of our players when he was clean through on goal. We had completely outplayed them. It was a clear sending off and because they were Liverpool, I don't think Hansen even got a yellow (could be wrong) but he should have walked.

Can anyone else recall this game? Who was clean through? Maybe D'Avray.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

SPLUTTER on 14:44 - Mar 12 with 4326 viewsDyland

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 22:19 - Mar 11 by vapour_trail

If you were twenty years older sitters, you’d get it. They were fcking competitors.

There’s absolutely no way their fans of a similar vintage will recognise this, but that’s what it is from us.

You’ll feel the same way about burton and Doncaster in your 40s.

"You’ll feel the same way about burton and Doncaster in your 40s."

Arf!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"I always want to see the English sides do well in European competitions" on 14:53 - Mar 12 with 4294 viewsDyland

I have never understood this. Football is tribal. I couldn't give a sh1t if they are based in England or not, and never have done. Taken to its logical conclusion, you wouldn't want to see Norwich do well in Europe... would you?

International football is a different matter, but it doesn't stoke the same fires for me. I always root for England though. In recent times the team has been difficult to like so I've given less of a sh1t. It's been better under Southgate imo.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 16:06 - Mar 12 with 4222 viewsClareBlue

Found myself and son in Liverpool over the summer so did the tour of Anfield after doing the Camp Nou last year. Well the arogance in the Liverpool HOF put even Barcelona to shame and the small consideration of three rooms of how great they are in Europe and a very small display saying in 1985 their European adventures met tradegy in Heysel and we stand in solidaraty with the Italian fans. You would miss it if you blinked on your way round.

I remember 'the best fans in the world' rioting in Ipswich in the late 70s or early 80s but can not get the exact date.

I remember a game at Anfield in the mid 70s with my dad where someone got knifed in an alley we were walking down.

It's the f..king persecution complex that is so anoying and they consitently appear in the top 10 of worst behaved football fans in England.

Also the times they stopped Ipswich from being Champions of England, who played attractive flowing football, with their cynical, physical approach.

Much, much more friendly and welcoming fans are across the park at Everton.
Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 16:13 - Mar 12 with 4198 viewsjeera

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 16:06 - Mar 12 by ClareBlue

Found myself and son in Liverpool over the summer so did the tour of Anfield after doing the Camp Nou last year. Well the arogance in the Liverpool HOF put even Barcelona to shame and the small consideration of three rooms of how great they are in Europe and a very small display saying in 1985 their European adventures met tradegy in Heysel and we stand in solidaraty with the Italian fans. You would miss it if you blinked on your way round.

I remember 'the best fans in the world' rioting in Ipswich in the late 70s or early 80s but can not get the exact date.

I remember a game at Anfield in the mid 70s with my dad where someone got knifed in an alley we were walking down.

It's the f..king persecution complex that is so anoying and they consitently appear in the top 10 of worst behaved football fans in England.

Also the times they stopped Ipswich from being Champions of England, who played attractive flowing football, with their cynical, physical approach.

Much, much more friendly and welcoming fans are across the park at Everton.

"... they stopped Ipswich from being Champions of England"

What, with their going about winning more bloody games than us? Damn them, damn them to hell.

Your stories are from 40 years ago mate.

They're out of the CL so I'd be more than ok to see them win the League given that we all had to put up with Man U dominating everything for years.

Plenty good enough.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 17:36 - Mar 12 with 4121 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Why is it fashionable to not like Liverpool? on 13:35 - Mar 12 by SomethingBlue

Bit fo a weird one to pin on Andy Robertson, for one. He is nothing like that.

Watch his interviews

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024