Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coffee 10:20 - Mar 12 with 1989 viewsclive_baker

What’s your approach to coffee? I like coffee, especially a real one. Sat outside a cafe in Italy in the sunshine or something. Failing that, I normally just have a lazy instant at home. My mate has been telling me to get a V60 and filters but it all sounds like a ball ache. We’ve got a snazzy coffee machine at work but I don’t like the pods.

What’s the way forward?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Coffee on 10:21 - Mar 12 with 1977 viewsbrazil1982

Get an aero press, thank me later x
Coffee on 10:26 - Mar 12 with 1954 viewshampstead_blue

We've been using a stove top mocha thingy for years.

Always buy the best beans we can afford, we do have a supply from Thailand who sends us a dozen kilos each year.

Grind whenever we need a brew.

The mocha maker is probably the most environmentally friendly way to make coffee. Ours in years old, battered, but keeps on going. Just change a seal every two or three months.

None of those pod things.

Milk. We have a lavazza thingy which whisks and heats or makes froth. Love that!
Always full fat milk as well.

Espresso before 1000, latte after.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Coffee on 10:27 - Mar 12 with 1944 viewsElephantintheRoom

Pods are for wimps and poseurs.

And don't get me started on overpriced coffee shops.

Buy beans - establish a really posey one if you want to impress your on-line friends - one perhaps where the beans have been excreted by lemurs in Madagascar - and use a filter.... simple.

Tesco are particularly frustrating for Kenyan coffee lovers out our way.... you can't get it in the store - but you can get it on-line delivered from the very same store. Work that one out.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Coffee on 10:30 - Mar 12 with 1940 viewsslump

Get a mocha (it takes less than 5mins on gas) and source some fairtrade beans/ground. Personally I like a decent Ethiopian bean that I just stock up on.

UTT

Coffee on 10:49 - Mar 12 with 1886 viewsipswich78

A Bean to Cup machine hits the sweet spot of a decent cup of fresh coffee vs convenience and speed for me. You can use any beans you like.

I am an Espresso man so it's a nice simple press of a button, is it as good as a proper Expresso machine? Probably not, but it's a lot quicker / less mess and clean up required.

The pod machines work our quite expensive per cup and also encourage a lot of waste packaging, a bean to cup machine whilst a greater initial outlay means a much cheaper cost per cup and also a lot less packaging. You can even compost the grounds once they've been used if that's your thing.

I've tried pod machines, 'proper' Espresso machines, Aeropress, drip coffee etc. and always found they had a failing.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 10:57]

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Coffee on 10:53 - Mar 12 with 1870 viewsRob88

I like my coffee like I like my women, strong and black.
Coffee on 10:54 - Mar 12 with 1867 viewsITFC_Forever

Don't drink it, or tea.

Never took to either as a kid and have lived my life in perfect oblivion to it.

Until the last few years when everywhere you go serves a thousand varieties of tea / coffee, and the person behind the counter spends an eternity making the damn stuff, when all I want to buy is my sandwich and bottle of drink. Really p1sses me off having to wait for hot drinks to be made.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Coffee on 10:56 - Mar 12 with 1854 viewsDubtractor

I've got a delonghi espresso maker with a steamer on the side. Makes an ace cup every time.

Aeropress is also really good, and much cheaper, if you're not wanting any steamed milk.

If you are Ipswich based I hugely recommend getting beans from Joe/Joao in the red coffee link can in town. Great selection, much cheaper than supermarket, and way superior quality.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Coffee on 11:00 - Mar 12 with 1839 viewssoupytwist

Coffee on 10:56 - Mar 12 by Dubtractor

I've got a delonghi espresso maker with a steamer on the side. Makes an ace cup every time.

Aeropress is also really good, and much cheaper, if you're not wanting any steamed milk.

If you are Ipswich based I hugely recommend getting beans from Joe/Joao in the red coffee link can in town. Great selection, much cheaper than supermarket, and way superior quality.

We have a variety of approaches to it in my house. I’m happy enough with a quick instant some of the time. Other times I will use a stove top Moka thing.

However, my wife won’t drink instant so she and can’t be bothered with the Moka (not sure why it’s not like it’s hard work). So, she uses a cafetière most of the time and grinds beans once a week or so for that.

Having had a Gaggia Classic espresso machine for a few years, we eventually replaced recently it after it got knackered. We bought a Sage Barista Pro which grinds the beans as well as doing the espresso, milk frothing etc. It’s very good and we tend to use it at weekends only. The cleaning / descaling regime needs to be followed especially in hard water areas but you can get cleaning tablets in bulk off Amazon for a reasonable price.

I’ve been picking up a couple of kilo bags of beans when they have them in Lidl but now we’ve splashed out on a new machine we’re thinking of getting them from other sources largely for freshness reasons. One bag my wife picked up in a coffee shop in BSE recently was particularly disappointing but it had probably been sitting on the shelf for ages.

The grinding, espresso coffee making, milk frothing all in one machine is really good but I’d be happy with a Moka pot probably.
Coffee on 11:16 - Mar 12 with 1774 viewsWeWereZombies

I drink a couple of cups of instant coffee one day and then ground coffee the next, carry on alternating so that I appreciate the ground coffee more when I have it. And I mix it up a bit more by switching the ground coffee days between filter and espresso.

But then I go and put milk in with the instant and the filter coffee so what do I know really? And sugar with the espresso.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Coffee on 11:23 - Mar 12 with 1757 viewsJ2BLUE

I tend to only drink coffee when out. Tea at home mostly, although I have a Tassimo machine so I occasionally use an espresso pod to make a latte with fresh milk.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Coffee on 11:25 - Mar 12 with 1752 viewsNewcyBlue

It’s only good in cake

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Coffee on 11:34 - Mar 12 with 1725 viewsReuser_is_God

No hot drinks would be the way forward for me.

People who drink hot drinks are freaks.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Coffee on 11:35 - Mar 12 with 1720 viewsBlue_Order

My approach is to chuck it in the bin.

Bogging stuff.
Coffee on 11:36 - Mar 12 with 1716 viewsclive_baker

Coffee on 11:34 - Mar 12 by Reuser_is_God

No hot drinks would be the way forward for me.

People who drink hot drinks are freaks.

I used to like you.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Coffee on 12:02 - Mar 12 with 1652 viewsJohnWarksTash

Coffee on 10:54 - Mar 12 by ITFC_Forever

Don't drink it, or tea.

Never took to either as a kid and have lived my life in perfect oblivion to it.

Until the last few years when everywhere you go serves a thousand varieties of tea / coffee, and the person behind the counter spends an eternity making the damn stuff, when all I want to buy is my sandwich and bottle of drink. Really p1sses me off having to wait for hot drinks to be made.

Don't go to coffee shops for a sarnie....simple really :)
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 12:03]
Coffee on 12:35 - Mar 12 with 1603 viewsBiGDonnie

Build a rapport with your local Pret barista's and you'll never pay for a proper coffee again.

This worked for me for over two years, until we moved offices last week. Currently working my charm on the newbies!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024