Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? 11:40 - Mar 13 with 8395 viewsitfcjoe

Personally I'd cancel all summer football this year, and move everything back 1 year going forwards forever

i.e. Euro 2020 goes to Euro 2021
Nations League and FIFA World Club Cup in 2021 go to 2022
World Cup in 2022 (admittedly in the winter) goes to 23 etc.

It's basically just international football that occurs then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:44 - Mar 13 with 4399 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Same as you. Euros next summer.

Hope the heat kills this and play remaining games in the summer at a higher frequency, giving a little break before moving in to next season. Then I would scrap the carabao and EFL trophy for next year (which wont happen) meaning more opportunities to play games

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:45 - Mar 13 with 4387 viewsGlasgowBlue

How would football ban work? by GlasgowBlue 12 Mar 2020 18:29
Postpone the end of the season for three months.

Postpone the Euros until next summer.

Restart the 2019/20 season in late June with two games a week (Sat/ Sun and Tue/Wed)

Season finishes in 4 to 5 weeks (late August)

Start the new season after just one month break (They had a three month break in late March/April/May and part June)

No 2020/21 League Cup or Paint Trophy or whatever they call it.

Start the FA Cup in February open to only Championship and Premier League teams with absolutely no replays.

Just thought that up off the top of my head.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:49 - Mar 13 with 4358 viewstractorboy1978

Depends how long this goes on for though. I'd be very surprised if games re-commence on 3rd April.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:50 - Mar 13 with 4347 viewstractorboy1978

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:45 - Mar 13 by GlasgowBlue

How would football ban work? by GlasgowBlue 12 Mar 2020 18:29
Postpone the end of the season for three months.

Postpone the Euros until next summer.

Restart the 2019/20 season in late June with two games a week (Sat/ Sun and Tue/Wed)

Season finishes in 4 to 5 weeks (late August)

Start the new season after just one month break (They had a three month break in late March/April/May and part June)

No 2020/21 League Cup or Paint Trophy or whatever they call it.

Start the FA Cup in February open to only Championship and Premier League teams with absolutely no replays.

Just thought that up off the top of my head.

What about players contracts which run out at the end of June?
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:51 - Mar 13 with 4342 viewsTractorWood

Kick the Euros and immediate football down the road. Pull the plug on pointless internationals, league of nations, Europa League in 2021, league cup and get back on track by osmosis.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:54 - Mar 13 with 4319 viewstractordownsouth

I’m going to have a massive flounce when the Euros is postponed

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:55 - Mar 13 with 4307 viewsEly_Blue

Scrap the nations league move the Euros to 2021 and the World Cup stays on schedule.

As for the rest of the fixtures this season, given there is 10 games to go it’s not unreasonable to get those games into a 1 month schedule for the efl at 2 games a week.

As for the PL with champions league etc they could easily extend the pl season by 3-4 weeks as the CL final is so late these days anyway

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:56 - Mar 13 with 4299 viewsclive_baker

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:44 - Mar 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

Same as you. Euros next summer.

Hope the heat kills this and play remaining games in the summer at a higher frequency, giving a little break before moving in to next season. Then I would scrap the carabao and EFL trophy for next year (which wont happen) meaning more opportunities to play games

I'm not sure the heat is going to kill it. Perhaps it'll reduce the common flu cases and ease pressure on hospitals, but Singapore is 32 degrees right now and it doesn't seem to have helped there.

I would postpone this season until it's deemed safe to start again, and try and wrap up the remaining 2 months in 5 or 6 weeks, whenever that may be. Next season will depend on what it can resume, let's say that is October time, I would propose we cancel all European competitions and domestic cups for 1 year. So the 2020 / 2021 season is purely focused on running the domestic league campaign from Oct - May, then business as usual the following year. Any European qualifying teams from this season who miss out should also qualify when they resume. So it's any club that finished in those spots in either this season or next. If that makes sense.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:56 - Mar 13 with 4295 viewsGlasgowBlue

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:50 - Mar 13 by tractorboy1978

What about players contracts which run out at the end of June?

Extended by three months or however long it takes to complete this season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:57 - Mar 13 with 4290 viewsChrisd

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:49 - Mar 13 by tractorboy1978

Depends how long this goes on for though. I'd be very surprised if games re-commence on 3rd April.

So true and they're predicting the peak won't be for a while yet. If this pandemic then continues for longer than anticipated it's going to have huge knock-on effect.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:00 - Mar 13 with 4275 viewstractorboy1978

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:56 - Mar 13 by GlasgowBlue

Extended by three months or however long it takes to complete this season.

That's a legal minefield. Players will be within their rights to walk I imagine.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:01 - Mar 13 with 4265 viewsclive_baker

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 11:56 - Mar 13 by clive_baker

I'm not sure the heat is going to kill it. Perhaps it'll reduce the common flu cases and ease pressure on hospitals, but Singapore is 32 degrees right now and it doesn't seem to have helped there.

I would postpone this season until it's deemed safe to start again, and try and wrap up the remaining 2 months in 5 or 6 weeks, whenever that may be. Next season will depend on what it can resume, let's say that is October time, I would propose we cancel all European competitions and domestic cups for 1 year. So the 2020 / 2021 season is purely focused on running the domestic league campaign from Oct - May, then business as usual the following year. Any European qualifying teams from this season who miss out should also qualify when they resume. So it's any club that finished in those spots in either this season or next. If that makes sense.

I don't see why that should be a big issue. If you have players out of contract, you as a club either need to negotiate that they remain for a period of time, or they don't. It's no different to having a player out of contract in December and having games in Jan, aside from the fact that's a lot less common.

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:04 - Mar 13 with 4253 viewspositivity

according to the govt we're not going to see the peak of the infection for 3 months, assuming a similar retreat that means it'll be 6 months until we return to the current conditions, which may allow football to restart.

that takes us well into next season.

voiding the season or alternatively allocating promotion/relegation to current positions would be met with myriad legal barriers from those adversely affected, so i think the games will have to be played, which may takes us into the back end of 2020.

given this, i can't see next season happening in it's normal form, will have to be either reduced or maybe played in a different format (cup style?). any ideas

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:09 - Mar 13 with 4220 viewsportmanking

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:04 - Mar 13 by positivity

according to the govt we're not going to see the peak of the infection for 3 months, assuming a similar retreat that means it'll be 6 months until we return to the current conditions, which may allow football to restart.

voiding the season or alternatively allocating promotion/relegation to current positions would be met with myriad legal barriers from those adversely affected, so i think the games will have to be played, which may takes us into the back end of 2020.

given this, i can't see next season happening in it's normal form, will have to be either reduced or maybe played in a different format (cup style?). any ideas

If it was Sept/Oct I could understand why allocating promotion/relegation to current positions now would be madness. But in March when three-quarters of the season has elapsed? Most teams at top and foot of each table deserve to be where they are now.

I'd vote for that, scrap the playoff system for 2019/20 and have a clean slate for August. Whereby all competitions would be able to run as normal.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:09 - Mar 13 with 4221 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Cancel everything until the Autumn. Finish the current season then with the Euros spread throughout rather than being over just one month.

Start next season in January with each division split in half for one season (which cuts number of games by 75%). Top of each section play for title. Next two in in each section to play offs.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:12 - Mar 13 with 4202 viewsclive_baker

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:04 - Mar 13 by positivity

I think until timelines are known more reliably it's hard to say. Arguably, football starting again in October / November would be the worst logistically as it would massively impact next year as well. Later would be better, so the remainder of this season could be finished into say, this time next year, then a big break before the rescheduled Euros? Then business as usual thereafter having effectively missed a year. I don't see any way that this season can't be resolved though, so that has to be priority number 1 after all of this, to wrap up this year. Thereafter, it's a case of looking at how long is left to do another season. As you say, it could be just playing everyone once to shorten it? Or having no cups, and doing the 38 league games in 19 weeks. There's a number of options but an heck of a lot to consider.

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:12 - Mar 13 with 4198 viewstractorboy1978

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:09 - Mar 13 by portmanking

If it was Sept/Oct I could understand why allocating promotion/relegation to current positions now would be madness. But in March when three-quarters of the season has elapsed? Most teams at top and foot of each table deserve to be where they are now.

I'd vote for that, scrap the playoff system for 2019/20 and have a clean slate for August. Whereby all competitions would be able to run as normal.

That would be my preference but there would be lawsuits galore. As ever, I suspect the decision will be based around financial greed rather than any modicum of sense.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:12 - Mar 13 with 4197 viewspositivity

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:09 - Mar 13 by Cheshire_Tractor

Cancel everything until the Autumn. Finish the current season then with the Euros spread throughout rather than being over just one month.

Start next season in January with each division split in half for one season (which cuts number of games by 75%). Top of each section play for title. Next two in in each section to play offs.

could work, maybe split it geographically to reduce costs...

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:16 - Mar 13 with 4168 viewsportmanking

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:12 - Mar 13 by tractorboy1978

That would be my preference but there would be lawsuits galore. As ever, I suspect the decision will be based around financial greed rather than any modicum of sense.

Absolutely. The very fact chairmen are talking about lawsuits rather than the importance of public health says it all about this grubby little sport.

In sporting terms, promoting the top 2/3 in each league now makes sense. It rewards those who have been most consistent so far in 2019/20. No point arguing in court about hypotheticals.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:17 - Mar 13 with 4166 viewspositivity

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:09 - Mar 13 by portmanking

so many legal challenges though, imagine being wycombe or tranmere and missing promotion/avoiding relegation simply because you've played less games than the team above you.

bournemouth would lose hundreds of millions based on a goal difference of -1 with 27 points to play for no way will they take that lie-ing down. the integrity and credibility of the league would demand it be played to a finish.

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:21 - Mar 13 with 4130 viewsportmanking

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:17 - Mar 13 by positivity

so many legal challenges though, imagine being wycombe or tranmere and missing promotion/avoiding relegation simply because you've played less games than the team above you.

bournemouth would lose hundreds of millions based on a goal difference of -1 with 27 points to play for no way will they take that lie-ing down. the integrity and credibility of the league would demand it be played to a finish.

Leagues have always been decided by fine margins though, right?

Wycombe's form has tailed off and Tranmere are 4 pts adrift of safety from what I can see?

Just because the game is now too reliant on finances, we're missing the simple solution.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:23 - Mar 13 with 4109 viewstractorboy1978

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:17 - Mar 13 by positivity

Whatever happens, this will be something that will be decided across the whole of Europe. The Premier League/football league will not be acting independently. Interestingly, noises from Germany yesterday were that the season would be ended and not completed.
How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:26 - Mar 13 with 4081 viewsEly_Blue

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:21 - Mar 13 by portmanking

Wycombe's form has tailed off and Tranmere are 4 pts adrift of safety from what I can see?

Just because the game is now too reliant on finances, we're missing the simple solution.

But then as an example we have 3 very easily winnable games coming up against Bolton, Southend and Rochdale which could (should) net us 9 points and a healthy goal difference, let’s say all the teams above us have played all of those teams twice and only have harder games left how does that make you feel and how would that make our club feel.

Footnote - this is all hypothetical and only using itfc as an example as I know the fixtures etc so please don’t berate me for saying we have a chance to make the playoffs

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:28 - Mar 13 with 4059 viewspositivity

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:21 - Mar 13 by portmanking

what if there was one game to go, we were one goal behind, had one game in hand and it was home to bolton?

our opponents had already taken 3 points off bolton, but they go up because they were fortunate enough to play it earlier

the league has to be a level playing field, or it loses all credibility. if the football cancellations go on until october/november, we'll not get in a full season anyway, so might as well bring this season to a conclusion first...

How would you solve the upcoming fixture scheduling crisis? on 12:32 - Mar 13 with 4022 viewsgiant_stow

Someone's just told me Newcastle win the FA cup by dint of scoring the most goals, asusming it's all cancelled - is this true?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024