Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article on differing approaches 12:24 - Mar 13 with 863 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/italy-south-korea-differ-tackling-coronav

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:29 - Mar 13 with 843 viewsStokieBlue

SK responded quickly and have actually tested the most people per million of population out of any country in the world. It seems to have been a good approach.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:33 - Mar 13 with 818 viewsfooters

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:29 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

SK responded quickly and have actually tested the most people per million of population out of any country in the world. It seems to have been a good approach.

SB

Is there a risk of a shortage of tests with that approach, SB? Is that why we've limited testing to only those with severe symptoms?

f.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:35 - Mar 13 with 797 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:33 - Mar 13 by footers

Is there a risk of a shortage of tests with that approach, SB? Is that why we've limited testing to only those with severe symptoms?

f.

I am not actually sure how SK managed to get so many tests done. You need to take the sample and then add an accelerator to increase the amount of virus so it's detectable against all the other stuff in your body and then you have to sequence it.

It's been an impressive response from them.

Conversely, a few days ago, the US only managed to test 5 people per million against SK's 3500+. I did see one state only had 200 kits left although I think they have produced a lot more since then. I am unsure on the supply the UK has - I think the lab time is the limiting factor as it's not a simple test unfortunately.

SB

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:38 - Mar 13 with 767 viewsfooters

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:35 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

I am not actually sure how SK managed to get so many tests done. You need to take the sample and then add an accelerator to increase the amount of virus so it's detectable against all the other stuff in your body and then you have to sequence it.

Conversely, a few days ago, the US only managed to test 5 people per million against SK's 3500+. I did see one state only had 200 kits left although I think they have produced a lot more since then. I am unsure on the supply the UK has - I think the lab time is the limiting factor as it's not a simple test unfortunately.

SB

I'd guess with neighbours like that you'd constantly be on some sort of war footing. But as you say, very impressive.

f.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:58 - Mar 13 with 726 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:29 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

SB

You would think that surely the more tests the better.

People have been extrapolating the potential impact by looking at deaths versus confirmed cases.

If you extrapolate the impact of 10 deaths based on the c.500 currently confirmed cases, it looks a lot worse than 10 deaths based on yesterdays estimate of 10,000+ current cases.

Who knows, the current number of cases could be 20,000+ or more.

Clearly 1 death is too many, maybe they will be able to produce a self testing kit with quicker results at some point.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:59 - Mar 13 with 718 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:35 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

SB

What do you do SB?

You sound knowledgeable on this type of issue. (I have no knowledge on this type of issue, so you could be talking nonsense for all I know, but it seems to make sense!!)

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:59 - Mar 13 with 719 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:58 - Mar 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

You would think that surely the more tests the better.

People have been extrapolating the potential impact by looking at deaths versus confirmed cases.

If you extrapolate the impact of 10 deaths based on the c.500 currently confirmed cases, it looks a lot worse than 10 deaths based on yesterdays estimate of 10,000+ current cases.

Who knows, the current number of cases could be 20,000+ or more.

Clearly 1 death is too many, maybe they will be able to produce a self testing kit with quicker results at some point.

It's quite hard to test for, that is the problem.

A quick self-test kit would solve all the problems. You test and if positive you isolate.

SB

Interesting article on differing approaches on 13:01 - Mar 13 with 713 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting article on differing approaches on 12:59 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

It's quite hard to test for, that is the problem.

A quick self-test kit would solve all the problems. You test and if positive you isolate.

SB

Agreed. To be fair, I appreciate I was being very idealistic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024