Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good 12:18 - Mar 14 with 2160 viewsBrixtonBlue

Spending in the Daily Mail's article on Sunak’s budget far exceeded what it reported Corbyn planned to spend. Yet they said Labour’s moderate plans would “bankrupt UK” but that Sunak was ‘rescuing’ the country!

The loveable British press.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:34 - Mar 14 with 1812 viewstractordownsouth

It does make me laugh, when the tabloids talk about sneering lefties, when they've treated their readership like idiots for years.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:34 - Mar 14 with 1814 viewsStokieBlue

It was a rather large giveaway that surprised many - you are totally right that Labour would have been a target after such a budget. It tends to go against everything they have said for the last 10 years although Boris did claim he would spend.

However, where do you get "far exceeded" Labours plans? The nationalisations alone were about 100bn+ at the absolute minimum. Are there some numbers you can share?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:39 - Mar 14 with 1790 viewstractordownsouth

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:34 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

It was a rather large giveaway that surprised many - you are totally right that Labour would have been a target after such a budget. It tends to go against everything they have said for the last 10 years although Boris did claim he would spend.

However, where do you get "far exceeded" Labours plans? The nationalisations alone were about 100bn+ at the absolute minimum. Are there some numbers you can share?

SB

Overall I don't think it was more than a Labour budget would have been over 5 years, but they're praising Sunak for "the biggest splurge in 30 years" yet still claiming that Labour's spending caused the global financial crash. They think their readership are idiots.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:43 - Mar 14 with 1769 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:34 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Numbers would be good. If anyone can provide them, make sure to cost in the potential benefits of investment not just the cost. Also make sure to allow for the additional costs of a long-term stagnant economy and of extraditing ourself from our largest market. It’s far too easy to focus on one side of the equation.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 13:03 - Mar 14 with 1722 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 13:14 - Mar 14 with 1697 viewshampstead_blue

I think the Waspi women pledge was >£30bn

Along with everything else threw at the wall the bill would have been like sitting on a cactus.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 13:41 - Mar 14 with 1661 viewsSarge

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:39 - Mar 14 by tractordownsouth

Overall I don't think it was more than a Labour budget would have been over 5 years, but they're praising Sunak for "the biggest splurge in 30 years" yet still claiming that Labour's spending caused the global financial crash. They think their readership are idiots.

Tbf they’ve probably got good reason to think that. If the majority of their readership were able to think critically then that rag would have long since gone under.
Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 19:57 - Mar 14 with 1544 viewsBrixtonBlue

SB

I'm just quoting the guy who put it on twitter. I didn't come up with "far exceeded". Not really my overall point really anyway. Whether it far exceeded or was roughy the same, either way my point still stands about the scummy British Press.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 19:59 - Mar 14 with 1543 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 13:14 - Mar 14 by hampstead_blue

I think the Waspi women pledge was >£30bn

Along with everything else threw at the wall the bill would have been like sitting on a cactus.

You're avoiding the point again.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 23:32 - Mar 14 with 1509 viewsbournemouthblue

It's almost like the media have a political bias and simply look to smear parties for their own sinister agendas

We like to think we have a free media but it only considered to be around the 40th freest media's in the World because of the influence of the press barons

It's pretty shameful for a country of our size and wealth to have been assimilated by these individuals and most people don't seem to blink an eye at it

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 08:23 - Mar 15 with 1420 viewssparks

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 23:32 - Mar 14 by bournemouthblue

It's almost like the media have a political bias and simply look to smear parties for their own sinister agendas

We like to think we have a free media but it only considered to be around the 40th freest media's in the World because of the influence of the press barons

It's pretty shameful for a country of our size and wealth to have been assimilated by these individuals and most people don't seem to blink an eye at it

It's more like there are overly left and right wing papers who push their own standpoint.

You've seen the utter garbage which also comes out of the mirror? A paper which the populace are free to buy if they choose?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:42 - Mar 15 with 1368 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 08:23 - Mar 15 by sparks

It's more like there are overly left and right wing papers who push their own standpoint.

You've seen the utter garbage which also comes out of the mirror? A paper which the populace are free to buy if they choose?

The Mirror is also crap, yes. But the overwhelming media bias is a fair bit to the right and even the supposed centre is a passive uncritical conduit that just adds to the problem.

We have the least trusted media in the developed world because of this lack of balance and objectivity. Not just because a few papers are overly partisan.

Pronouns: He/Him

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:43 - Mar 15 with 1374 viewsbrazil1982

You haven't included the £250b set up of a national bank.
Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:47 - Mar 15 with 1371 viewssparks

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:42 - Mar 15 by Darth_Koont

The Mirror is also crap, yes. But the overwhelming media bias is a fair bit to the right and even the supposed centre is a passive uncritical conduit that just adds to the problem.

We have the least trusted media in the developed world because of this lack of balance and objectivity. Not just because a few papers are overly partisan.

The public choose which paper-and therefore which bias- to purchase.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:55 - Mar 15 with 1352 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:47 - Mar 15 by sparks

Sure. Then with the pressure to provide 24-hour content (where politicians become important content providers) the centre chases viewers and clicks along those same lines so that it all becomes self-reinforcing. With the result that governments aren't held to account and "facts" are pretty subjective.

Of course, there are good journalists if you look for them. I'm talking about the prevailing standard which is pretty poor nowadays.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:56 - Mar 15 with 1357 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:47 - Mar 15 by sparks

Do people choose a paper to stick to their bias... or does the bias of the paper influence the person in the first place and push them in that direction?

Either way, the OP shows the ridiculousness of it all. You can't surely be happy with the press as it is in this country?

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:02 - Mar 15 with 1351 viewssparks

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:56 - Mar 15 by BrixtonBlue

Do people choose a paper to stick to their bias... or does the bias of the paper influence the person in the first place and push them in that direction?

Either way, the OP shows the ridiculousness of it all. You can't surely be happy with the press as it is in this country?

Most of the press is awful. But this idea that its some big media conspiracy is nonsense. Differnet outlets push different biases.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:10 - Mar 15 with 1335 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:02 - Mar 15 by sparks

Most of the press is awful. But this idea that its some big media conspiracy is nonsense. Differnet outlets push different biases.

There's no conspiracy but, as with our non-representative and out-of-date democracy and the politicians we vote for, we've accepted a sub-standard media.

A media that takes more from society than it gives back in truth-seeking, accountable checks and balances.

Like the BBC's obsession with Farage that reached comedy proportions this week, it's a mess.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:14 - Mar 15 with 1331 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:02 - Mar 15 by sparks

But the vast majority are right-biased?

No-one said it's a big media conspiracy. It's blatantly obvious.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:15 - Mar 15 with 1327 viewssparks

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:14 - Mar 15 by BrixtonBlue

But the vast majority are right-biased?

No-one said it's a big media conspiracy. It's blatantly obvious.

People choose what they buy...

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:17 - Mar 15 with 1321 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:15 - Mar 15 by sparks

People choose what they buy...

I'll take you back to my previous point/question.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:18 - Mar 15 with 1320 viewssparks

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:17 - Mar 15 by BrixtonBlue

I'll take you back to my previous point/question.

Who knows? Probably a combination of all sorts.

But the press criticism is always one way. Noone makes you buy the Mail over the Mirror.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:00 - Mar 15 with 1297 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 11:18 - Mar 15 by sparks

Who knows? Probably a combination of all sorts.

But the press criticism is always one way. Noone makes you buy the Mail over the Mirror.

No, it's years of brainwashing. And from an impressionable age. Much like with religion.

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:07 - Mar 15 with 1287 viewsStokieBlue

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 10:42 - Mar 15 by Darth_Koont

Less trusted than the US?

That's a bold call.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:55 - Mar 15 with 1262 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour spending = bad, Tories spending (more) = good on 12:07 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

Less trusted than the US?

That's a bold call.

SB

https://www.oecd.org/sdd/trustlab.htm

And that's even with a President telling the US public not to trust the news on a daily basis.

Ours is pretty shocking across the board and with less of the independence of many of the big US newspapers and news channels.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024