Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy 17:33 - Mar 15 with 3884 viewsStokieBlue

368 deaths in the last 24 hours - 25% increase and 1800+ in total now. Total cases ~25,000 now. Maintaining the 7% mortality rate there (although this is high as cases will have been missed).

It seems to be really escalating in Europe, Swiss cases up 50% in 24 hours, Spain heading the same way as Italy and Germany closing it's borders.

Also 30,000 Brits in French skiing resorts who need to be transported back to the UK somehow as the French closed the resorts at midnight.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:36 - Mar 15 with 3219 viewsPecker

Terrible news. I really feel for those families effected. Hoped it had peaked in Italy, but obviously not. Sad news.
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:39 - Mar 15 with 3187 viewsTractorCam

So the lockdown isn't really working then?

For the 30,000 coming here, surely they should be tested upon arrival, presuming we aren't doing this already?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:42 - Mar 15 with 3152 viewsjeera

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:39 - Mar 15 by TractorCam

For the 30,000 coming here, surely they should be tested upon arrival, presuming we aren't doing this already?

It suggests the lockdown came too late.

Which obviously makes you think what are we waiting for here exactly?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:44 - Mar 15 with 3151 viewsbluelagos

Given the period where you are contagious but with no symptoms, you could lockdown every person, and it would take upto 2 weeks for those infected to come through the system.

So its wrong to expect (or judge it as failing) so early on. If in 2 weeks the numbers are still rising, I'd agree.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:44 - Mar 15 with 3140 viewsStokieBlue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:42 - Mar 15 by jeera

It suggests the lockdown came too late.

Which obviously makes you think what are we waiting for here exactly?

I think Italian demographics might have a lot to do with it.

Older members of the family living in the same house as the younger members. If those younger members already had it before the lockdown you are basically guaranteeing that the older members are going to get it.

I don't have evidence for the above - it's speculation.

SB

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:45 - Mar 15 with 3122 viewsGuthrum

Or the lockdown is working and it could have been worse than that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:45 - Mar 15 with 3121 viewsPecker

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:44 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

I think Italian demographics might have a lot to do with it.

Older members of the family living in the same house as the younger members. If those younger members already had it before the lockdown you are basically guaranteeing that the older members are going to get it.

I don't have evidence for the above - it's speculation.

SB

Makes sense.
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:46 - Mar 15 with 3119 viewsTrequartista

One every four minutes, or three more since you posted this. Dreadful.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:47 - Mar 15 with 3099 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:36 - Mar 15 by Pecker

Terrible news. I really feel for those families effected. Hoped it had peaked in Italy, but obviously not. Sad news.

Took 8 weeks to peak in China. Italy has a while to go yet.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:48 - Mar 15 with 3086 viewsStokieBlue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:47 - Mar 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

Indeed, although I think you can take the official numbers provided by the Chinese with some suspicion.

Also, we now know the first case was probably in November in Hubei Provence so it's actually more like 12 weeks or more.

SB
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 17:51]

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:50 - Mar 15 with 3066 viewsTractorCam

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:47 - Mar 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

How many weeks are Italy/ UK in?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:54 - Mar 15 with 3026 viewsGuthrum

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:50 - Mar 15 by TractorCam

How many weeks are Italy/ UK in?

Experts reckon the UK is between 2 and 4 weeks behind Italy. A bit early to give a fixed timeline to the outbreak, considering the altho numbers of new infections are down, the disease is still raging in Wuhan.

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:03 - Mar 15 with 2946 viewsclive_baker

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:44 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

Given the period where you are contagious but with no symptoms, you could lockdown every person, and it would take upto 2 weeks for those infected to come through the system.

So its wrong to expect (or judge it as failing) so early on. If in 2 weeks the numbers are still rising, I'd agree.

It's also an average time of a month between getting ill and those dying from it. So the death rate is going to increase significantly before we see it starting to come down again. Terribly sad.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:13 - Mar 15 with 2867 viewsPecker

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:54 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

Experts reckon the UK is between 2 and 4 weeks behind Italy. A bit early to give a fixed timeline to the outbreak, considering the altho numbers of new infections are down, the disease is still raging in Wuhan.

I thought that Wuhan was getting better. No?
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:15 - Mar 15 with 2855 viewsJ2BLUE

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 17:44 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

5.2 days is the average period and includes 95% of cases.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:20 - Mar 15 with 2817 viewsStokieBlue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:15 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

5.2 days is the average period and includes 95% of cases.

Interesting - where did you get that from?

SB

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:24 - Mar 15 with 2800 viewsGuthrum

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:13 - Mar 15 by Pecker

I thought that Wuhan was getting better. No?

Numbers of new cases are coming down, but many people still have the illness.

Plus when the lockdown is removed, there is the danger of a second wave of infection coming in from outside (possibly other strains, to which the locals have not yet been exposed).

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:32 - Mar 15 with 2751 viewsPecker

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:24 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

Numbers of new cases are coming down, but many people still have the illness.

Plus when the lockdown is removed, there is the danger of a second wave of infection coming in from outside (possibly other strains, to which the locals have not yet been exposed).

Thanks for that. God knows when these terrible times will be over. (I know he doesn't)
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:40 - Mar 15 with 2705 viewsgordon

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:20 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

SB

This is from WHO, I think, I've seen that figure too.
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:44 - Mar 15 with 2673 viewsJ2BLUE

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:20 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Apologies, I can't seem to find the source. I will keep looking. For now though, the closest I can find is from Darth's link earlier:

'How long is the incubation period of COVID-19?

The WHO writes “people with COVID-19 generally develop signs and symptoms, including mild respiratory symptoms and fever, on an average of 5-6 days after infection.”22

While the mean incubation period is 5 to 6 days, the WHO adds that the incubation period can vary in a wide range of between 1 to 14 days.23

This is based on the 55,924 confirmed cases in China. There are reports of cases with longer incubation periods in the media (a case of 27 days is reported here).'

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:48 - Mar 15 with 2629 viewsBloomBlue

One of the problems is when you lockdown you force a family into one house / close proximity and it spreads easily, bit of a catch 22 and it seems from the data Italy as a country has a lot of older people living at home
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:52 - Mar 15 with 2611 viewsgordon

As well, I think by and large, in each country the ratio between deaths / recoveries stays fairly constant and is driven by the approach to testing.

In Korea for example, where they test almost everyone, the ratio is about 1:10 (1 death to every 10 recoveries).

In Italy it's about 7.5:10, because they are testing far fewer people.

In the UK (although we have fewer data) because we are doing almost no testing, our ratio is 17.5:10 (17.5 deaths to 10 recoveries).

France also has a really, really high death to recovery ratio, which doesn't bode well given how many cases they are reporting. Although Germany has even more cases, they look like having a much lower deaths to recovery ratio, suggesting more widespread testing.
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 19:02 - Mar 15 with 2538 viewsBloomBlue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:52 - Mar 15 by gordon

As well, I think by and large, in each country the ratio between deaths / recoveries stays fairly constant and is driven by the approach to testing.

In Korea for example, where they test almost everyone, the ratio is about 1:10 (1 death to every 10 recoveries).

In Italy it's about 7.5:10, because they are testing far fewer people.

In the UK (although we have fewer data) because we are doing almost no testing, our ratio is 17.5:10 (17.5 deaths to 10 recoveries).

France also has a really, really high death to recovery ratio, which doesn't bode well given how many cases they are reporting. Although Germany has even more cases, they look like having a much lower deaths to recovery ratio, suggesting more widespread testing.

Are you sure about that data because they said the numbers were so high in Italy because they were testing so many especially at the start of the outbreak? I'm sure I read on the BBC they were even testing people who had no symptoms.
Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 19:06 - Mar 15 with 2507 viewsStokieBlue

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 18:44 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Apologies, I can't seem to find the source. I will keep looking. For now though, the closest I can find is from Darth's link earlier:

'How long is the incubation period of COVID-19?

The WHO writes “people with COVID-19 generally develop signs and symptoms, including mild respiratory symptoms and fever, on an average of 5-6 days after infection.”22

While the mean incubation period is 5 to 6 days, the WHO adds that the incubation period can vary in a wide range of between 1 to 14 days.23

This is based on the 55,924 confirmed cases in China. There are reports of cases with longer incubation periods in the media (a case of 27 days is reported here).'

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Thanks.

As with all statistics it's interesting to get the breakdown. Obviously it's the 5% of outliers where it incubates for 5-14 days or more that are the issue. Need to keep people isolated for whatever the longest outlier is in order to try and minimise subsequent infections.

I might have a look later to see if that's been updated given it was based on 55,000 samples and the global count is around 165,000 and rising.

SB

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 19:11 - Mar 15 with 2479 viewsTractorWood

Horrible numbers coming out of Italy on 19:02 - Mar 15 by BloomBlue

Are you sure about that data because they said the numbers were so high in Italy because they were testing so many especially at the start of the outbreak? I'm sure I read on the BBC they were even testing people who had no symptoms.

The mortality rates are really erratic because there is no consistent approach across the globe. There is little testing in the US as there are basically no kits, massive amounts of testing in the UK but now a policy of only testing hospitalisations.

The data generally is a real mess globally.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024