Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finish the season now 12:22 - Mar 16 with 5448 viewsitfcjoe

Top 3 go up
Bottom 3 go down

Roll on 20/21

Life isn’t fair, pandemics aren’t fair, football isn’t fair - why the need to over complicate it if it goes on for much longer

I think either void or finish the season as is, and finishing it as is seems much fairer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Finish the season now on 12:26 - Mar 16 with 2803 viewstractorboy1978

Just started a similar thread - I agree. The approach will have to be agreed right across Europe though (or France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands anyway) so that we stay roughly on the same season timeframe.
Finish the season now on 12:36 - Mar 16 with 2722 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

That isn't going to happen. The amount of lawsuits that will be slapped at the Premier League and EFL would be ridiculous.

Finish the season behind closed doors is my honest answer.

But the longer it goes on, the more likely it will be Null and Void.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Finish the season now on 12:38 - Mar 16 with 2723 viewsJakeITFC

I would say of all the possible scenarios, this is the one that makes the least sense.
Finish the season now on 12:39 - Mar 16 with 2711 viewsLesta_Tractor

Have the top and bottom 3 played the same number of games?

If not, it should be done on average points. GD could also be averaged.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Finish the season now on 12:40 - Mar 16 with 2702 viewsitfcjoe

Finish the season now on 12:38 - Mar 16 by JakeITFC

I would say of all the possible scenarios, this is the one that makes the least sense.

Really? Less sense than null and void?

Finish the season now on 12:40 - Mar 16 with 2702 viewsPJH

Finish the season now on 12:38 - Mar 16 by JakeITFC

Any scenario that gets Naarwich out of the top division is fine with me.
Finish the season now on 12:42 - Mar 16 with 2685 viewstractorboy1978

Finish the season now on 12:36 - Mar 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

That isn't going to happen. The amount of lawsuits that will be slapped at the Premier League and EFL would be ridiculous.

If the decision is made above their heads (i.e by UEFA) then any lawsuits can't be aimed at them. You are right that the Premier League/EFL won't make that decision though.

There will be complaints whatever is done to be honest. Behind closed doors and 'home advantage' is lost, clubs still have to incur certain costs to put the game on but have no revenue making opportunity etc. And all of this is before even considering contracts for players run until 30 June.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 12:43]
Finish the season now on 12:42 - Mar 16 with 2687 viewsitfcjoe

Finish the season now on 12:36 - Mar 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

There are going to be lawsuits either way - but at some point Football needs to start again across Europe basically in some form of unison.

Where teams are now seems fairest, if this is going to drag on for months which seems likely, finishing the season becomes almost impossible (and unnecessary given how much could change in squad make ups, contracts etc)

Login to get fewer ads

Finish the season now on 12:43 - Mar 16 with 2680 viewsclive_baker

Finish the season now on 12:39 - Mar 16 by Lesta_Tractor

Have the top and bottom 3 played the same number of games?

If not, it should be done on average points. GD could also be averaged.

If you're going to start adjusting for that, you might aswell factor in who teams have played and got left. Arguments around how hard the different run ins etc are could get very sticky. I don't see a good reason to sack this season off to be honest, we might as well conclude it when that time comes and compromise elements of next season, depending on timings. The priority must be to finish this season credibly and without compromise. Why should a season that hasn't started yet take priority over concluding this one?

It's all a bit of a moot point until timings are better known anyway.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Finish the season now on 12:43 - Mar 16 with 2672 viewshampstead_blue

I like the sentiment but imagine the queue to the Law Courts!

Lawyers will be rubbing their hands if that happened.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

But think of teams like Oxford, Fulham or Chelsea on 12:45 - Mar 16 with 2655 viewsunstableblue

In better form than the team in the position above, and close to replacing them

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Finish the season now on 12:45 - Mar 16 with 2649 viewsJakeITFC

Finish the season now on 12:40 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Yeah, from a sporting integrity point of view it’s just not right imo - can’t see it not being challenged in the courts.
Finish the season now on 12:46 - Mar 16 with 2641 viewstractorboy1978

Finish the season now on 12:43 - Mar 16 by clive_baker

If you're going to start adjusting for that, you might aswell factor in who teams have played and got left. Arguments around how hard the different run ins etc are could get very sticky. I don't see a good reason to sack this season off to be honest, we might as well conclude it when that time comes and compromise elements of next season, depending on timings. The priority must be to finish this season credibly and without compromise. Why should a season that hasn't started yet take priority over concluding this one?

It's all a bit of a moot point until timings are better known anyway.

Can it finish credibly? I am not sure it can. And you then run into next season being a bit of a farce as well - seen suggestions of playing every team once, either home or away. That's not a credible competition.
Finish the season now on 12:47 - Mar 16 with 2631 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No way. Void it if anything.

Imagine a team is one point in the relegation zone and goes down, where their fixtures may be favourable. Same for teams close to automatics.

Clubs lose money and people lose their jobs.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Finish the season now on 12:48 - Mar 16 with 2625 viewsHullblue

I agree with you in principle, but how will EFL teams survive without the cash from the remaining games?

I think we have to play the games ASAP - in front of crowds too - even if that means restarting the rest of this season in September. The Premier League could loan clubs money until then. Ideally they'd just give them the money, of course, but I can't see that happening.

Then we'd just have to ditch the league cup and EFL trophy for next year - still a bit of a revenue hit but nowhere near the same impact as ten league games. We'd have too many games next year but that's what U23/academy players are for.

The contract situation is difficult - I think we'd just have to let them run out as normal, and have a transfer window at the normal time. Not ideal because this could drastically affect the end of the season but I don't see a better way, as you can't make players stay past their expiry dates.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Finish the season now on 12:49 - Mar 16 with 2610 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Finish the season now on 12:42 - Mar 16 by tractorboy1978

If the decision is made above their heads (i.e by UEFA) then any lawsuits can't be aimed at them. You are right that the Premier League/EFL won't make that decision though.

There will be complaints whatever is done to be honest. Behind closed doors and 'home advantage' is lost, clubs still have to incur certain costs to put the game on but have no revenue making opportunity etc. And all of this is before even considering contracts for players run until 30 June.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 12:43]

I would have thought behind closed doors will bring the least complaints, but financially clubs at the lower end of the spectrum would need to be financially subsidised.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Finish the season now on 12:51 - Mar 16 with 2608 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds like a great idea to me. The trouble is, as others have pointed out, there's so much to lose through relegation. I'd argue that that teams have had 3/4 season , so the current tables are a fair reflection of level. But you just know that teams in the relegation spots would fight against it.

Yet again, it's the massive financial inequality in the game that's causing the problems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Finish the season now on 12:55 - Mar 16 with 2578 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Null and void makes more sense to me given it's incomplete.
Finish the season now on 12:58 - Mar 16 with 2562 viewsVaughan8

Nah I don't think that's right. Just move the transfer window to a different time (so if free transfers want to move in July, they can but can't play!) until a certain time and finish the season at a later date.

Then the 20-21 season has to be some weird season which I have no idea what to do. Play each other only once?

Glad I don't have to decide this. Whatever happens it will be "unfair" to some people.

EDIT: Also, in the lower leagues, not everyone has played the same number of games. .e Doncaster or Wycombe could argue they could get up to 3rd.

Maybe you just do a massive league "playoff" or something. God knows.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:12]
Finish the season now on 13:00 - Mar 16 with 2545 viewsitfcjoe

Finish the season now on 12:55 - Mar 16 by PrideOfTheEast

Null and void makes more sense to me given it's incomplete.

The simplest solution is often the best. Null and void achieves nothing for me and doesn’t let things move on.

Every club in the promotion or relegation positions should have begun preparations for next season as it is.

Finish the season now on 13:01 - Mar 16 with 2539 viewsBiGDonnie

How about we take the form table from the last 20 games and promote and relegate those in the top/bottom three? Probably fairer.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Finish the season now on 13:02 - Mar 16 with 2535 viewstractorboy1978

Finish the season now on 12:58 - Mar 16 by Vaughan8

Nah I don't think that's right. Just move the transfer window to a different time (so if free transfers want to move in July, they can but can't play!) until a certain time and finish the season at a later date.

Then the 20-21 season has to be some weird season which I have no idea what to do. Play each other only once?

Glad I don't have to decide this. Whatever happens it will be "unfair" to some people.

EDIT: Also, in the lower leagues, not everyone has played the same number of games. .e Doncaster or Wycombe could argue they could get up to 3rd.

Maybe you just do a massive league "playoff" or something. God knows.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:12]

Whatever happens, the approach will have to be unanimously agreed across Europe, which probably means this decision will ultimately fall above the heads of anybody in this country (irony not lost on me given the past couple of years!).
Finish the season now on 13:02 - Mar 16 with 2536 viewsvapour_trail

Null and void the only possible outcome for me. It’s nowhere near certain we will be able to play football in time for the new season as it is.

The bigger worry, from a football perspective is the number of clubs, right down through the pyramid, who will go to the wall by then.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Finish the season now on 13:04 - Mar 16 with 2516 viewsmonty_radio

So, for example, Bournemouth go down by virtue of one goal, having expected to have 9 games left to redeem themselves. Life isn't fair perhaps, but sport has rules to ensure that opportunity on the pitch is equal, even if form and skill-levels dictate otherwise. Using Bournemouth as my example still, I've always thought that when they do eventually drop, they'll fall, never again to rise to such levels - as in the case of such as Wimbledon, Notts County, Oldham etc. Imagine then, being a Cherries fan, if that fall is brought on by a curtailment that sends them down as things currently stand, by one goal, with the remaining nine chances scotched.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Finish the season now on 13:06 - Mar 16 with 2502 viewsgordon

I think that this season is likely just going to be finished next season, and then a smaller competition (without relegation and promotion) added in next year if there is time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024