Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sums it up perfectly... 19:18 - Mar 16 with 1565 viewsuefacup81

So long as Boris' mates in insurance and finance are alright, the rest of the country can go hang.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Sums it up perfectly... on 19:28 - Mar 16 with 1466 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is that correct though? Do we have concrete evidence that government advice would be needed before insurers pay out on Covid-19 cancellations?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sums it up perfectly... on 19:33 - Mar 16 with 1445 viewsuefacup81

Sums it up perfectly... on 19:28 - Mar 16 by Swansea_Blue

Is that correct though? Do we have concrete evidence that government advice would be needed before insurers pay out on Covid-19 cancellations?

The evidence so far suggests that.

When people stopped travelling to affected areas, it was highlighted that travel insurance would only pay out if the FCO issued a travel ban.

Likewise, business continuity insurance definitely won't pay out if a business chooses to close (like the London theatres have just announced they will be after tonight). The only way these policies will pay out is if the government orders closures/cancellations/bans.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 19:33]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Sums it up perfectly... on 20:00 - Mar 16 with 1365 viewsHerbivore

It's the same with the travel advice. It's not 'official' FCO advice and so insurance won't pay out for cancellations people make of non-essential trips. It seems they've taken the decision to prioritise saving the insurance companies over citizens and small businesses.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sums it up perfectly... on 21:19 - Mar 16 with 1281 viewsbrazil1982

What mates?
Sums it up perfectly... on 21:23 - Mar 16 with 1256 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sums it up perfectly... on 20:00 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

It's the same with the travel advice. It's not 'official' FCO advice and so insurance won't pay out for cancellations people make of non-essential trips. It seems they've taken the decision to prioritise saving the insurance companies over citizens and small businesses.

Not sure what you’re on about re FCO advice, that has been put in place pretty much everywhere where cases have hit a significant number and/or where government measures have been put in place

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sums it up perfectly... on 21:27 - Mar 16 with 1235 viewsHerbivore

Sums it up perfectly... on 21:23 - Mar 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure what you’re on about re FCO advice, that has been put in place pretty much everywhere where cases have hit a significant number and/or where government measures have been put in place

They are now advising people not to travel at all unless essential, however FCO 'official' advice is only in place on a fairly limited number of countries. That's what I'm on about. Unless that changes, most people with overseas travel plans won't be eligible for refunds should they cancel.

Sums it up perfectly... on 10:43 - Mar 17 with 1041 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sums it up perfectly... on 21:27 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

They are now advising people not to travel at all unless essential, however FCO 'official' advice is only in place on a fairly limited number of countries. That's what I'm on about. Unless that changes, most people with overseas travel plans won't be eligible for refunds should they cancel.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the FCO - they are there to give advice to people as to whether it is safe to travel to particular countries, not facilitate Travel Insurance

Any complaints about travel insurers not covering cancellation claims to non-FCO advises countries sits firmly with the insurers themselves. Although on latest advice it isn’t difficult to make a claim - self isolating would be a medical reason to cancel and insurers will have to pay without evidence given the official steer not to see a GP*

Also to make the point academic I gather that advice not to leave the UK is likely to happen today anyway, given the steer to limit social interactions yesterday

*not withstanding policies with a pandemic exclusion, in which case the FCO point is moot anyway
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 10:57]

Sums it up perfectly... on 10:48 - Mar 17 with 1036 viewssparks

Sums it up perfectly... on 19:33 - Mar 16 by uefacup81

The evidence so far suggests that.

When people stopped travelling to affected areas, it was highlighted that travel insurance would only pay out if the FCO issued a travel ban.

Likewise, business continuity insurance definitely won't pay out if a business chooses to close (like the London theatres have just announced they will be after tonight). The only way these policies will pay out is if the government orders closures/cancellations/bans.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 19:33]

It was suggested on R4 this morning that actually very few policies would pay out either way. No idea if that is correct.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Sums it up perfectly... on 11:01 - Mar 17 with 992 viewsHerbivore

Sums it up perfectly... on 10:43 - Mar 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the FCO - they are there to give advice to people as to whether it is safe to travel to particular countries, not facilitate Travel Insurance

Any complaints about travel insurers not covering cancellation claims to non-FCO advises countries sits firmly with the insurers themselves. Although on latest advice it isn’t difficult to make a claim - self isolating would be a medical reason to cancel and insurers will have to pay without evidence given the official steer not to see a GP*

Also to make the point academic I gather that advice not to leave the UK is likely to happen today anyway, given the steer to limit social interactions yesterday

*not withstanding policies with a pandemic exclusion, in which case the FCO point is moot anyway
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 10:57]

Most travel insurance policies stipulate that they only cover cancellation if the FCO is advising against all but non-essential travel. Boris Johnson announced yesterday that people should avoid all non-essential travel, which is on the grounds of public health so a safety issue, but this isn't the same thing as official FCO advice (which is somewhat inconsisten, Romania is listed as do not travel despite relatively few Covid-19 cases). It gives insurers a loophole not to pay out for any cancellation of travel. It's the same thing they are doing to pubs, restaurants etc. by advising people not to go there rather than enforcing their closure. I guess you don't see it that way so let's leave it there.

Sums it up perfectly... on 11:03 - Mar 17 with 981 viewsmonytowbray

Where is Glassers and Stokie and co having a meltdown about someone making it political?!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sums it up perfectly... on 11:48 - Mar 17 with 921 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sums it up perfectly... on 11:01 - Mar 17 by Herbivore

Most travel insurance policies stipulate that they only cover cancellation if the FCO is advising against all but non-essential travel. Boris Johnson announced yesterday that people should avoid all non-essential travel, which is on the grounds of public health so a safety issue, but this isn't the same thing as official FCO advice (which is somewhat inconsisten, Romania is listed as do not travel despite relatively few Covid-19 cases). It gives insurers a loophole not to pay out for any cancellation of travel. It's the same thing they are doing to pubs, restaurants etc. by advising people not to go there rather than enforcing their closure. I guess you don't see it that way so let's leave it there.

My point is that the FCO aren’t there to put in place advice so that people can claim on Travel Insurance policies, they are there to make decisions based on safety of travellers. For countries where there hadn’t been a significant outbreak and/or local measures put in place there was no reason to do so previously, and where this had happened FCO advice had followed promptly

Since the latest government advice I understand (again, due to my field of work I have some knowledge here) that advice is likely to be put in place imminently for everywhere

There isn’t any grand collusion to prevent insurers paying out (on the FCO advice at least, I can’t comment on the theatre/pub point), as this particular area simply doesn’t work that way

Sums it up perfectly... on 12:19 - Mar 17 with 885 viewsHerbivore

Sums it up perfectly... on 11:48 - Mar 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

My point is that the FCO aren’t there to put in place advice so that people can claim on Travel Insurance policies, they are there to make decisions based on safety of travellers. For countries where there hadn’t been a significant outbreak and/or local measures put in place there was no reason to do so previously, and where this had happened FCO advice had followed promptly

Since the latest government advice I understand (again, due to my field of work I have some knowledge here) that advice is likely to be put in place imminently for everywhere

There isn’t any grand collusion to prevent insurers paying out (on the FCO advice at least, I can’t comment on the theatre/pub point), as this particular area simply doesn’t work that way

As I said, we disagree so let's leave it there.

Sums it up perfectly... on 13:48 - Mar 17 with 779 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sums it up perfectly... on 12:19 - Mar 17 by Herbivore

As I said, we disagree so let's leave it there.

And as predicted twice, from a position of actual knowledge on this point, FCO advice has now been put in place

I think a lot of people would do well to realise it isn’t particularly helpful to be making sweeping conclusions and accusations on things they have zero understanding around, given the seriousness of the subject matter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024