Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? 20:06 - Mar 16 with 2593 viewsDubtractor

Not known anything like this ever before, and it feels doubly odd in Suffolk as we are all reacting to something that hasn't really got here yet.

I have to say, huge and heartfelt sympathy goes out to anyone owning a business, or relying on the gig economy in any form. This is going to absolutely destroy a lot of businesses and people isn't it?

I'm fortunate enough to be in a fairly secure job with the ability to work at home, lots of people don't have that luxury.

Lets hope we can all come out of the other side of this as unscathed as possible.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:10 - Mar 16 with 2234 viewsPecker

Worrying indeed. Feel so sad for those effected. Hope as many as possible can ride this out.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:11 - Mar 16 with 2231 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Can you even notice the difference in Suffolk?
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:13 - Mar 16 with 2217 viewsDubtractor

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:11 - Mar 16 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Can you even notice the difference in Suffolk?

Honestly, at the moment we are all reacting to something hypothetical rather than real.

It will obviously hit here in due course, but at the minute the only real sign is no pasta or bog roll in the shops, and people starting to work from home.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:15 - Mar 16 with 2205 viewshomer_123

Can we start eating the rich yet? by homer_123 16 Mar 2020 15:24
Hey Callis.

I run a business, it's a small but profitable business, I'm lucky enough to employee a number of people. I feel extremely responsible for them in terms of their health, well being and ensuring that they can pay their bills, feed their children etc. I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved together.

I'm not rich, the business doesn't have an endless pot of money (sadly). I'm likely to be forced to make some difficult to decisions in the coming weeks, decisions that I'd rather not have to make. I may also have to ask people to take paid holiday, unpaid leave, reduced wages and other measures to try and get through a period of uncertainty - a period that we have no idea how long will last or what the effects will be. Utter uncertainty - arguably more impactful over the short term than other things in the more recent past.

Do I fall into this category as well? Do other business owners on here also fall into this, I'm thinking of Lucs and GB for example? There are many more.

Not sure I like the tone of your post to be honest.

Impact of Covid-19 (and the wider situation) around it on business compared by homer_123 16 Mar 2020 16:43
with Brexit.

So, just a reality check - throughout the whole of the 3 odd years of Brexit - we had 'two' projects delayed and no cancellations.

In the space of the last 5 working days, we have had 3 projects completely cancelled and 7 pushed back to late this year/ early 2021.

To give you some idea of how our clients businesses are being affected. A hospitality company has seen a 30% reduction in bookings as of Thursday last week, as of today, that has doubled to 60% - at that level their business is sustainable for a period of months - they employee around 2,000 people.

Another client has seen footfall reduce by 85% in a week - currently they are thinking of having to close for the foreseeable.

One further client has seen circa £150m of work placed on indefinite hold. Again, in the last few days. They employee around 800 staff.

Right now - my sense is that Covid-19 is likely to have a far bigger short/ medium term impact than Brexit and who knows longer term.

All else aside, the socio-economic impact of this will be studied, discussed and debated for years but I am genuinely, now, deeply concerned not just for the health of individuals but also for many, many businesses and the knock on effects.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:16 - Mar 16 with 2180 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:13 - Mar 16 by Dubtractor

Honestly, at the moment we are all reacting to something hypothetical rather than real.

It will obviously hit here in due course, but at the minute the only real sign is no pasta or bog roll in the shops, and people starting to work from home.

It was tongue in cheek a little. My parents are out Yoxford way and when I visit to be honest you wouldn't really notice after 7pm if there was a global pandemic or not!

Beautiful though
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:19 - Mar 16 with 2146 viewshomer_123

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:13 - Mar 16 by Dubtractor

We are well past hypothetical.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:20 - Mar 16 with 2127 viewsDubtractor

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:16 - Mar 16 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It was tongue in cheek a little. My parents are out Yoxford way and when I visit to be honest you wouldn't really notice after 7pm if there was a global pandemic or not!

Beautiful though

Ha. Sorry, missed the sarcasm.

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:22 - Mar 16 with 2118 viewsTractorWood

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:16 - Mar 16 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Beautiful though

I live in West Suffolk. Worked from home today and went for a nice ride on my bike at lunch time. A few cars and lorries around. Most people going about their business in the standard way.

As someone says above, it's theoretical at the moment here.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:39 - Mar 16 with 2042 viewsCoastalblue

80%+ of my income now comes from showing tourists around London, should just about be at the point where after the lean months income is beginning to grow again and give me a chance to get straight and then put money in the bank for next winter.

That 80% equated to about £200 last week, I reckon it will be less than £50 this week, I'll be on my 4rse if this goes on longer than a couple of months to be honest.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:41 - Mar 16 with 2035 viewsITFC_Forever

Just done the weekly shop with the Missus.

Sainsbury’s Hadleigh Rd had massive gaps in every aisle virtually. Got enough to do us the week with what they did have .... and they’re generally one of the better run supermarkets in Ipswich.

Very little in the way of fresh meat, fruit and veg, but at least that’ll be continuously supplied as the fresh supply chain is set up to deliver daily.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:57 - Mar 16 with 1950 viewsgiant_stow

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:39 - Mar 16 by Coastalblue

80%+ of my income now comes from showing tourists around London, should just about be at the point where after the lean months income is beginning to grow again and give me a chance to get straight and then put money in the bank for next winter.

That 80% equated to about £200 last week, I reckon it will be less than £50 this week, I'll be on my 4rse if this goes on longer than a couple of months to be honest.

Sh1t. Have you people who you can turn to or backup plan?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 21:02 - Mar 16 with 1919 viewsOxford_Blue

Living in central London.

It’s more than surreal.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 21:11 - Mar 16 with 1878 viewsallezlesbleus

It is very worrying.

I live in France and they have just announced a 15 day lockdown. Macron has stated that no businesses, big or small will be allowed to go bust. BUT, how can he guarantee that, if this lockdown goes on for a few more weeks, or worse still, months?

Both my daughters received texts from their bosses on Sunday night and Monday morning, to say that they will only be paid the unemployment benefit until the shops they work in are allowed to reopen.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 21:30 - Mar 16 with 1814 viewsjeera

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:41 - Mar 16 by ITFC_Forever

Just done the weekly shop with the Missus.

Sainsbury’s Hadleigh Rd had massive gaps in every aisle virtually. Got enough to do us the week with what they did have .... and they’re generally one of the better run supermarkets in Ipswich.

Very little in the way of fresh meat, fruit and veg, but at least that’ll be continuously supplied as the fresh supply chain is set up to deliver daily.

How will, or would, a lockdown work here I wonder.

I assume we'll be able to go out to purchase food etc.

No point in shops having stock we can't access and booking a delivery isn't looking so good either!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 21:54 - Mar 16 with 1733 viewsGodzilla

We should all be planning for worst case scenario for family, friends and neighbours , it's going to be very real for all of us over the coming months/years.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:00 - Mar 16 with 1701 viewsMelford

When you hear Boris on the news telling the nation not to go to Pubs as you've just fired up the radio in the pub kitchen you work in was a bit surreal. We haven't been told to shut but everybody's been told not to come in, stuck in limbo really.

I'm fortunate in that I've got another job lined up and pretty much confirmed away from catering, so if I get laid off I won't be in too much trouble. Even though I'll have wait a bit until I can start that now. Most people at my place are expecting to be laid off until all this goes away.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:06 - Mar 16 with 1674 viewsCoastalblue

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 20:57 - Mar 16 by giant_stow

Sh1t. Have you people who you can turn to or backup plan?

I have some alternative work that would pay the bills for a couple of months, my other half would be willing and able to carry a bit more weight when it came to it, after that it's going to be a case of praying very hard and relying on some generosity of family.

I won't starve, and I'm lucky that I have family who have the means to help me if it gets desperate, but pride will mean that stings a bit.

I'm in the first year of a new business essentially so there's been little leeway, and atually up to this point it was performing a little better than forecast, this is a kick in the gonads though I will admit. Compounded by the amount of people who are going to be in a similar boat and who will all also be turning their eyes on those part time jobs and casual work that might have made that little bit of difference.

I'll survive, I'll probably have to swallow some pride, and it's a bit scary but I will survive.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:07 - Mar 16 with 1656 viewsfooters

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:00 - Mar 16 by Melford

When you hear Boris on the news telling the nation not to go to Pubs as you've just fired up the radio in the pub kitchen you work in was a bit surreal. We haven't been told to shut but everybody's been told not to come in, stuck in limbo really.

I'm fortunate in that I've got another job lined up and pretty much confirmed away from catering, so if I get laid off I won't be in too much trouble. Even though I'll have wait a bit until I can start that now. Most people at my place are expecting to be laid off until all this goes away.

Any chance on branching out into local deliveries for the meantime, Mellers? Drastic, I know, but takeaways will be running short on stuff too. Every little thing will help the smaller businesses right now.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:17 - Mar 16 with 1612 viewsGodzilla

People will work and help each other, but plan for no pay and no civil servants to pay job seekers.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:22 - Mar 16 with 1587 viewsMelford

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:07 - Mar 16 by footers

Any chance on branching out into local deliveries for the meantime, Mellers? Drastic, I know, but takeaways will be running short on stuff too. Every little thing will help the smaller businesses right now.

It's not practical at the moment because you need all the packaging for it, I'd need to get in load of containers. It is a good idea though, sending out a proper Sunday roast with all the trimmings freshly cooked would be a winner. We could do that .

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:28 - Mar 16 with 1548 viewsjeera

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:22 - Mar 16 by Melford

It's not practical at the moment because you need all the packaging for it, I'd need to get in load of containers. It is a good idea though, sending out a proper Sunday roast with all the trimmings freshly cooked would be a winner. We could do that .

I actually think it is a good idea, but not one that would require your present location and subsequent expenses.

It's a funny situation in a way, that we can - and do - order takeaway foodstuff in almost every which way but traditional.

Sure, fish and chip vans still make a go of it, but home deliveries? Why not?

Don't feel like cooking, get the Sunday roast delivered, freshly cooked and steaming to your door!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:31 - Mar 16 with 1530 viewsGodzilla

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:28 - Mar 16 by jeera

I actually think it is a good idea, but not one that would require your present location and subsequent expenses.

It's a funny situation in a way, that we can - and do - order takeaway foodstuff in almost every which way but traditional.

Don't feel like cooking, get the Sunday roast delivered, freshly cooked and steaming to your door!

Pastie supper please. I will leave a steamer at your door.
This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:38 - Mar 16 with 1510 viewsGodzilla

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:41 - Mar 16 with 1489 viewsmonytowbray

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 21:02 - Mar 16 by Oxford_Blue

Living in central London.

It’s more than surreal.

I said in another thread I did feel from social media over the weekend there was a much less bothered approach to it all outside the big cities than here. When Italy went into lockdown and companies started to say WFH was when it hit me where we’re at.

It’s quieter and oddly calm around my road and the shops, but there’s a feeling in the air like I’ve never felt. Like everyone is thinking about it but no one wants to talk about it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:57 - Mar 16 with 1451 viewsMelford

This is all a bit surreal isn't it? on 22:28 - Mar 16 by jeera

If I order the containers in tomorrow I'll get them by Friday. If we keep it to Melford all the people who would normally be working who drive can deliver I could pull it off. I could do the food side of it easily, nowhere in Melford is more than 10 minutes walk/5 minutes by car from the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024