Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could we institute a new form of National Service? 16:36 - Mar 17 with 1402 viewsRyorry

Given that many people are probably going to lose their jobs in the coming months, students won't be fully able to engage in their f/e, and that there's also going to be a huge need for community help (caring for senior citizens, disabled or sick people, building, increase in home produced foodstuffs (many salad veg imported from Spain eg) - would this be a workable idea?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 16:40 - Mar 17 with 1376 viewsGuthrum

Except that anything which involves gathering people together and/or moving them around the country* carries inherant risk.

* That includes large-scale deployment of the armed forces.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 16:43 - Mar 17 with 1358 viewsRyorry

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 16:40 - Mar 17 by Guthrum

Except that anything which involves gathering people together and/or moving them around the country* carries inherant risk.

* That includes large-scale deployment of the armed forces.

Ah, yes, good point!

Training in groups of 8 or fewer then? or placement with practitioners (eg carers or veg farmers having a trainee or two working alongside?).

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 16:56 - Mar 17 with 1308 viewsSwansea_Blue

In its original form that would require central coordination, so unlikely.

But people can do things themselves to help, e.g. what's happening down here to help support NHS staff with childcare.

#JohnsonMustGo trending on Twitter by Swansea_Blue 17 Mar 2020 14:55
I can give you an example. Due to the universities effectively closing, there's a massive pool of young people in the low risk bracket willing to help. A large number of our medical students here have volunteered to babysit in people's houses so that frontline NHS staff can be at work. And being medical students tied to the hospital they already have the links, so arranging this has been pretty simple apparently.

Duplicate that country-wide and you've got a big part of the solution.

Where there's a will, there's a way and all that.

I also saw today that Morrisons are creating 3,500 new jobs to help meeting expected home delivery demand too. As you say, people like students would be ideal for this. Although I'm not sure what state people's groceries would be in after a 20 yr old has hammered across town!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:07 - Mar 17 with 1292 viewsRyorry

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 16:56 - Mar 17 by Swansea_Blue

In its original form that would require central coordination, so unlikely.

But people can do things themselves to help, e.g. what's happening down here to help support NHS staff with childcare.

#JohnsonMustGo trending on Twitter by Swansea_Blue 17 Mar 2020 14:55
I can give you an example. Due to the universities effectively closing, there's a massive pool of young people in the low risk bracket willing to help. A large number of our medical students here have volunteered to babysit in people's houses so that frontline NHS staff can be at work. And being medical students tied to the hospital they already have the links, so arranging this has been pretty simple apparently.

Duplicate that country-wide and you've got a big part of the solution.

Where there's a will, there's a way and all that.

I also saw today that Morrisons are creating 3,500 new jobs to help meeting expected home delivery demand too. As you say, people like students would be ideal for this. Although I'm not sure what state people's groceries would be in after a 20 yr old has hammered across town!

Excellent! (assuming some kind of basic checks would be carried out).

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:09 - Mar 17 with 1279 viewshampstead_blue

I agree we have to share and test ideas but this one wouldn't work.

There are a few old veterans ranting that they should be called up to help.
Another non-starter.

Sorry to pour cold water, but it won't be needed.

To work in places with 'vulnerable' people you need proper training, vetting, and more besides.

It's a start and keep thinking. Thumbs up

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:14 - Mar 17 with 1267 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Enough of this idea, thanks. I'm a current student and I really couldn't be arsed to get drafted.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:17 - Mar 17 with 1242 viewsnoggin

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:14 - Mar 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

Enough of this idea, thanks. I'm a current student and I really couldn't be arsed to get drafted.

Snowflake generation, right there.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:27 - Mar 17 with 1215 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:17 - Mar 17 by noggin

Snowflake generation, right there.

I'm a mature student so I'm not one of those millennial types.

If I'm getting drafted then I'm bringing you all with me. Any oldies on here can join the Home Guard.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 17:27]

Login to get fewer ads

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:33 - Mar 17 with 1185 viewsnoggin

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:27 - Mar 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

I'm a mature student so I'm not one of those millennial types.

If I'm getting drafted then I'm bringing you all with me. Any oldies on here can join the Home Guard.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 17:27]

Stupid boy..

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 18:03 - Mar 17 with 1115 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 17:33 - Mar 17 by noggin

Stupid boy..

I know. How stupid of me to not be jumping with excitement at the suggestion.

Why don't you go and show us all how it's done, Rambo.

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 18:32 - Mar 17 with 1058 viewsPendejo

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 18:03 - Mar 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

I know. How stupid of me to not be jumping with excitement at the suggestion.

Why don't you go and show us all how it's done, Rambo.

If there had a third word there... "Pike" would you have responded differently?

Afterall, you referenced Dad's Army

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 19:08 - Mar 17 with 1021 viewsBloomBlue

Not sure but if Russia wanted to attack now would be a good time to do it.

Also have we looked at what Russia is doing as it seems Russia it virtually free of this virus, well them and North Korea
Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 21:54 - Mar 17 with 935 viewsRyorry

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 19:08 - Mar 17 by BloomBlue

Also have we looked at what Russia is doing as it seems Russia it virtually free of this virus, well them and North Korea

They're just good at concealing what's actually going on there probably.

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 22:25 - Mar 17 with 908 viewsLord_Lucan

Could we institute a new form of National Service? on 19:08 - Mar 17 by BloomBlue

I know.

Russia and N Korea really do seem to have it sorted, quite incredible really.

People criticise totalitarian regimes but the people are genuinely safe and happy. I remember when people criticised Sadam but he always got 100% of the vote.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024