Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russian roulette 17:04 - Mar 17 with 1597 viewsDouble_Dutch

I do not post very often, but have been an avid reader of the forum for a good number of years.

I would really appreciate some constructive forum insight into, what feels like making a decision based upon playing Russian roulette.

I am self-employed and, unable to work from home. Unfortunately, I also fall into the high risk category should I contract coronavirus.

The current advice as I understand it, is from Monday 23rd, you will be contacted by the NHS about what steps to take based upon your risk factor. Well, the advice is surely going to be, isolate if possible and avoid all social contact for the 12-week period. Why defer this decision to Monday, or will I be safe to continue with my employment until mid-night on Sunday 22nd?

If I choose to follow the advice given by government and, isolate for 12-weeks, I will have no business to return to and, the likelihood is at that point, the advice will still be to avoid all social contact as my risk category is not going to change.

It would appear that we are going to have to deal with this until a vaccine is available.
Do I put my health first and foremost (I know that this should be the answer every time) and, isolate immediately, wait until Monday to isolate or, throw the dice, take my chances and be in a position to pay my bills and put food on the table and, should I be unfortunate enough to contract the virus, make a full recovery?
Russian roulette on 17:18 - Mar 17 with 1538 viewsElephantintheRoom

And while you are working people 'working from home' will be denuding the supermarket shelves of food. Panic buying is bound to accelerate now.

Your answer lies with reality. What your underlying condition is...Where you live is quite important - and the riskiness of your every day business. And the fact you have to work.

Most people living in the real world will have to keep working - the only 'work form home option' is for non jobs which arent really necessary.... we might have to survive without a PR campaign or another ad campaign for a product you probably wouldnt buy even if you could. But the fact that a huge number of people will be working will keep the virus bubbling along rather nicely.

Maybe global warming will save us when spring comes.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Russian roulette on 17:26 - Mar 17 with 1512 viewsGeoffSentence

Russian roulette on 17:18 - Mar 17 by ElephantintheRoom

And while you are working people 'working from home' will be denuding the supermarket shelves of food. Panic buying is bound to accelerate now.

Your answer lies with reality. What your underlying condition is...Where you live is quite important - and the riskiness of your every day business. And the fact you have to work.

Most people living in the real world will have to keep working - the only 'work form home option' is for non jobs which arent really necessary.... we might have to survive without a PR campaign or another ad campaign for a product you probably wouldnt buy even if you could. But the fact that a huge number of people will be working will keep the virus bubbling along rather nicely.

I should probably be offended by your description of my job as a 'non-job' that's 'not really necessary'.

But actually, it's not far from the truth.

If there was a war, I wouldn't be in a reserved occupation.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Russian roulette on 20:10 - Mar 17 with 1399 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

There will be a lot of tough choices for individuals to make and no doubt judgement and opinions from all corners depending on what they do.
Personally I’d love to be able to self isolate, what with a 6 month old baby and a family to look after.. selfishly I want to keep them safe. but my job (police officer) doesn’t really allow me to do that, in fact along with hospital staff and health professionals we’re being hung out to deal with a lot of the fallout without much guidance or additional resources. We’ve been told to wear masks when dealing with anyone with symptoms, but not given masks

Very strange times ahead, as if we see any drop in NHS or police staff then you could quite easily see things deteriorate into complete chaos
Russian roulette on 21:49 - Mar 17 with 1299 viewsRyorry

Think this is a time at which it's a good idea to go with what your instincts tell you - no-one else knows your health, or local conditions/environment (rural? crowded city?) or financial situation. Maybe formulate 2 or 3 different strategies, take time to mull them over, and see how you feel about each one in a few days' time?

Also, was there anything in the Chancellor's announcement this afternoon that would help you?

Keep up to date with the latest figures for CoroV in your area and nationally, the spread of it may help you decide. Your business won't survive if you don't! and I doubt anyone will literally starve to death.

Everyone's facing such horrendous choices atm. Emotional & psychological resilience have a part to play in getting through it all.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 21:49]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Russian roulette on 11:03 - Mar 18 with 1170 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

When the government start suggesting schools shut then there will be a huge majority of the population who cannot cope, what with elderly grandparents not being suitable to provide childcare so livelihoods that are just about getting by.. will completely fall apart as looking after children will naturally come first

Joking aside, there are plenty of films that serve as a bit of a guide as to what could happen.. hopefully it has a happy ending for majority
Russian roulette on 11:11 - Mar 18 with 1138 viewsflimflam

Russian roulette on 17:26 - Mar 17 by GeoffSentence

I should probably be offended by your description of my job as a 'non-job' that's 'not really necessary'.

But actually, it's not far from the truth.

If there was a war, I wouldn't be in a reserved occupation.

Currently working from home as all offices closed.

We develop, supply and manage software to Hospitals, Police Services, Housing Associations and even the HOC so not sure we fall into the non job category as these systems need to function now more than ever.

I will actually be busier now than I have been for months.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Russian roulette on 11:14 - Mar 18 with 1125 viewsSamWhiteUK

Russian roulette on 17:18 - Mar 17 by ElephantintheRoom

There are many, many engineers (software etc) working from home, who are running services that people will rely on while in self isolation themselves. Or, for that matter, when going out. I bet you any money that some employees from Visa, for example, or companies of that ilk, are working from home.

Your statement "the only 'work form home option' is for non jobs which arent really necessary" is not very well thought out, and in very poor taste.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024