Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package 18:17 - Mar 17 with 3413 viewsGlasgowBlue

for small businesses.

I lost my business off the back of the last financial crisis and it's taken since then to get back to anything like normality.

Our family's life changed overnight when that happened. I had 4 children all under the age of ten to support and massively eye watering debts to deal with after spending a year borrowing and personally guaranteeing loans and overdrafts to make sure the business stayed afloat and the staff were always paid.

I've never quite been the same since then. I lost my swagger and my confidence has never returned to the levels that it was before the hit.

I was prescribed anti depressants but being old school I couldn't admit that to my wife that I was taking them. Although I stopped after a few months as I felt like a zombie. I could function better with a hangover than the effects of the pills.

A lot of marriages would have crumbled under the strain. I'm not the easiest to live with at the best of times. But we got through it and things were going great until this crisis hit.

These financial packages give us a real fighting chance of survival and her tears were those of relief as much as anything else.

A bit of a look at me post I know and not my normal style to admit fragility.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:20 - Mar 17 with 3327 viewsPlums

Brilliant post, thanks for sharing. It actually made me quite emotional to listen to it, I’d just received a message from an FA mentor coach who is paid by the day. His income just stopped yesterday.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:22 - Mar 17 with 3305 viewsJ2BLUE

Good to hear you think the measures will help. You deserve some luck. To keep paying your employees when things are dire says a lot.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:22 - Mar 17 with 3300 viewsclive_baker

I hope it works out for you.

I dream of a day when this is all over, and we can all go out and spend money again, enjoy ourselves and support the wonderful smaller, local businesses that make our society what it is. To fuel growth and employment, and get back on with our lives.

Hang in there brother.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:27 - Mar 17 with 3236 viewsAce_High1

Great post GB, hang in there we can get through this!
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:27 - Mar 17 with 3242 viewsGuthrum

Know what you're saying. I also lost my business in the aftermath of 2008, resulting in sizeable debt and affecting my health to the point of ending up on Sertraline for about a year. Really only just getting to the point of having worked through the aftermath.

Only just got in, so not yet had a chance to digest these measures.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:30 - Mar 17 with 3214 viewsDerryfromBury

Thanks for having the courage to share your past experience, and your families joy at the Chancellors announcements this afternoon.

Good Luck and Best Wishes.
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:39 - Mar 17 with 3148 viewsYallop

If we were allowed I'd shake your hand after reading that. Takes a real good guy to share such an experience. All the best to you and Mrs GB
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:40 - Mar 17 with 3146 viewsGlasgowBlue

Feel a little embarrassed for making the op but thanks for the good words. Hope others can at least have a fighting chance of staying afloat.

The last crash was like a slow death but this has really hit hard because it's so sudden. Business was good and if you'd have said at Christmas that we could be forced to close less than three months later it would have sounded unbelievable.

More news announced is that we can operate as a takeaway . One of our premises has an absolutely massive kitchen so it will be all hands on deck to completely change the business model for what we hope will just be a few months.

Of course, all of this pales when compared with those who will lose loved ones in the next few months.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 18:41]

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:43 - Mar 17 with 3125 viewsLord_Lucan

You are aware of what I've been through blah de blah and this thing has got disaster written all over it - but I have to admit on the face of it when I listened to what they were coming out with I thought "Wow"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:43 - Mar 17 with 3106 viewsJ2BLUE

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:40 - Mar 17 by GlasgowBlue

Feel a little embarrassed for making the op but thanks for the good words. Hope others can at least have a fighting chance of staying afloat.

The last crash was like a slow death but this has really hit hard because it's so sudden. Business was good and if you'd have said at Christmas that we could be forced to close less than three months later it would have sounded unbelievable.

More news announced is that we can operate as a takeaway . One of our premises has an absolutely massive kitchen so it will be all hands on deck to completely change the business model for what we hope will just be a few months.

Of course, all of this pales when compared with those who will lose loved ones in the next few months.

Don't be embarrased. Maybe you'll start a trend. We're going to see some major mental health challenges over the next few months. It's good people know TWTD is an outlet.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:44 - Mar 17 with 3089 viewsYallop

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:40 - Mar 17 by GlasgowBlue

Nothing to feel embarrased about. Someone sharing a real experience helps other people more than you realise
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 18:45]
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:50 - Mar 17 with 3035 viewsPinewoodblue

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:43 - Mar 17 by J2BLUE

Don't be embarrased. Maybe you'll start a trend. We're going to see some major mental health challenges over the next few months. It's good people know TWTD is an outlet.

You are 100% right about mental health issues just wait until over 70’s face total lockdown, there are around 3m in that group who live alone.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:52 - Mar 17 with 3026 viewsSpruceMoose

I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but real life person behind a keyboard to real life person behind a keyboard, that's a good, honest and brave post Glassers. Good luck to you and your family.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 18:53]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:55 - Mar 17 with 2998 viewsNewcyBlue

Best of luck to you mate.

You know where I am if you need a chat. Otherwise when I come to Glasgow to do my Captains unlimited I will take you for a beer!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:56 - Mar 17 with 2972 viewsBloomBlue

Don't be embarrassed I started a couple of my own businesses when working and I know they become your own 'baby'. Hope the benefits being offered work for you.

I too watched that briefing and I too thought wow, I don't think I could ever imagine anything like that happening in my life time.

I know the people who want to make this political will still find something to complain about but I don't care who was in power they would all struggle with this situation but watching that I actually felt they had grasped what's required from a business perspective and hopefully those businesses which add so much to our society / life will survive and come out of it stronger.
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:03 - Mar 17 with 2921 viewsGlasgowBlue

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 18:55 - Mar 17 by NewcyBlue

Best of luck to you mate.

You know where I am if you need a chat. Otherwise when I come to Glasgow to do my Captains unlimited I will take you for a beer!

No Jager Bombs this time please

Iron Lion Zion

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:04 - Mar 17 with 2910 viewsNewcyBlue

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:03 - Mar 17 by GlasgowBlue

No Jager Bombs this time please

I had barely gotten started mate 😂

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:20 - Mar 17 with 2809 viewsDarth_Koont

Sorry to hear that. Everyone is going to lose financially but it seems like the hospitality industry needs more support than most others and nobody should begrudge sacrificing more to support those businesses.

Coronavirus is happening and people are going to die. However our response to it and people (including politicians and the government) realising what is important gives me hope.

Pronouns: He/Him

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:26 - Mar 17 with 2762 viewsBluefish

Great Post mate. I still think you have swagger, you are a gent

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:28 - Mar 17 with 2755 viewsallezlesbleus

Our husband and wife business should be looking forward to celebrating 25 years in September. The last decade has been difficult, for a number of different reasons and it just feels that there has been "one kick in the teeth after another", but this Coronvirus is the biggest worry so far. We employ 27 staff. Many of those started with us from school and several are now working part-time as they have started their own families. This pandemic has the potential to ruin the lives of so many. We would be devastated to lose our business, but the biggest heartache for us would be letting down all of our wonderful staff.

You definitely do not need to apologise GlasgowBlue…….there will be several people on here who know to some extent what you have been through and will have the upmost sympathy, but, even more so, total respect for pulling through it and started over again. I sincerely hope that you and all the other businesses somehow survive this nightmare and come out stronger at the end of it.
My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 19:44 - Mar 17 with 2679 viewsitfcjoe

Good post GB, and I hope the measures set out are able to help you and other similar business through this unprecedented crisis

We are still BAU, but know at any point things can be stopped as working for a big company - mid way through a 12 week contract in Stansted and start another 3 week one in Gillingham on Monday. Supplies are starting to slow up, tiles stuck in Italy. Designer is now WFH so it’s all on us.

Key things are ensuring we keep payments up to date as know plug can be pulled at any point. We can’t afford to pay a dozen guys to do nothing for a sustained period and domestic stuff is slowing down. Problem it beings in this industry is people desperate to work and will do things for nothing as better to lost a little bit on a job than not have any work.

Interesting times ahead, but not going to be much fun for anyone - best of luck to all those employing people, maybe some of those who don’t may begin to realise how much of a burden is taken on.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 20:02 - Mar 17 with 2596 viewsFixed_It

Thinking of you - and everyone in a similar position. I'm sure you'll make it work. Best wishes.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

My wife broke down in tears when Sunak announced his rescue package on 20:14 - Mar 17 with 2530 viewshomer_123

I've posted a fair bit over the last couple of days on this subject.

Mate I utterly sympathise.

Sadly...today we have seen 3 further contracts cancelled. If the rate continues over the next week or so...the cold hard reality is that I am going to have to make some horrible decisions or we run the real and sizeable risk of losing the business and more. 8 employees and their mortgages and children is all I'm thinking about...even ahead of my own.

This is worse than the financial crisis and will have a far more reaching impact than Brexit.

I feel unwell but it's not the virus.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024