Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus 19:58 - Mar 17 with 5664 viewsPinewoodblue

Some chilling facts comparing the situation today with what it was two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago the number of deaths in Italy rose to 79. Today it burst through the 2500 level with another 345 deaths.

Two weeks ago the first death was reported in Spain today the figure rose to 533 with 191 of them in the last 24 hours.

Today our death figure rose to 71, it doesn’t take much to imagine what the situation will be in the U.K. in 14 days time.

[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 20:03]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:07 - Mar 17 with 3367 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds to me like they should shut things down to stop it spreading. Anyone know of that’s been discussed?

Calm before the storm innit. Luckily me and her can both work from home, so we’re hunkering down and hoping we can avoid this first peak.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:10 - Mar 17 with 3340 viewsGaryCooper

I would be interested in the life expectancy of those who have died prior to catching CV.
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:33 - Mar 17 with 3231 viewsmonytowbray

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:07 - Mar 17 by Swansea_Blue

Sounds to me like they should shut things down to stop it spreading. Anyone know of that’s been discussed?

Calm before the storm innit. Luckily me and her can both work from home, so we’re hunkering down and hoping we can avoid this first peak.

When is the NHS getting extra investment? Are we getting emergency staff? Do they even exist?

Still a lot of important questions not being answered.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:39 - Mar 17 with 3216 viewsWicklowBlue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:33 - Mar 17 by monytowbray

When is the NHS getting extra investment? Are we getting emergency staff? Do they even exist?

Still a lot of important questions not being answered.

While across the water, albeit begrudgingly our caretaker government is playing a blinder!

'Your country needs you': Harris launches massive recruitment drive for doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff https://jrnl.ie/5048770
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:41 - Mar 17 with 3202 viewsclive_baker

Not sure anyone is underestimating it. It’s quite patently going to get worse for some time. Even the government themselves has said that anything south of 20,000 fatalities would have to be regarded as a decent case.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:43 - Mar 17 with 3197 viewsTrequartista

On Feb 21 Italy had 20 cases and 1 death, Japan had 105 cases and 1 death.

Now Italy have 31k cases and 2.5k deaths, Japan have 829 cases and 28 deaths.

If we do what Japan did and not what Italy did, we could have figures nearer Japan than Italy ?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:44 - Mar 17 with 3170 viewsStokieBlue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:41 - Mar 17 by clive_baker

Not sure anyone is underestimating it. It’s quite patently going to get worse for some time. Even the government themselves has said that anything south of 20,000 fatalities would have to be regarded as a decent case.

I just was out cycling and the pub was pretty full still so some people clearly aren't that serious about the advice.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:46 - Mar 17 with 3160 viewssparks

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:44 - Mar 17 by StokieBlue

I just was out cycling and the pub was pretty full still so some people clearly aren't that serious about the advice.

SB

Had 4 messages on FB groups today about gigs/ open mics still going ahead in Bristol.

And then Stanley Johnson says hed still go to the pub.

Bloody idiots.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:51 - Mar 17 with 3128 viewsBloomBlue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:43 - Mar 17 by Trequartista

If we do what Japan did and not what Italy did, we could have figures nearer Japan than Italy ?

Or it could simply be Italy reached its peak before Japan and the virus is reacting differently in different countries
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 17 with 3114 viewssparks

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:51 - Mar 17 by BloomBlue

Or it could simply be Italy reached its peak before Japan and the virus is reacting differently in different countries

Given that we just had deaths double overnight- I would suggest we are heading down the Italy route right now...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 17 with 3104 viewsWicklowBlue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:43 - Mar 17 by Trequartista

I think the key detail here is in how each country reacted to the initial infection. I know Italy was very late in introducing preventative measures and the virus spread through the community. Italy has an older demographic too which may have some bearing.

Couldn't be bothered to look at Japan's response as sick to death of covid19 discussions right now.
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:56 - Mar 17 with 3061 viewsTrequartista

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:51 - Mar 17 by BloomBlue

Japan seem to have peaked already, only 15 new cases yesterday, 50 per day a week ago. That could be a blip and there may be a second wave, of course, but the numbers are not even in the same ballpark as Italy.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:57 - Mar 17 with 3043 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 17 by WicklowBlue

I think the key detail here is in how each country reacted to the initial infection. I know Italy was very late in introducing preventative measures and the virus spread through the community. Italy has an older demographic too which may have some bearing.

Couldn't be bothered to look at Japan's response as sick to death of covid19 discussions right now.

St. Patrick's night and no pubs....sh1t got real.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:57 - Mar 17 with 3054 viewsRocky

That's an interesting statistic - and hopefully will be closely examined.
The Japanese generally bow rather than shake hands - and they have had an army of people out cleaning street furniture, rails and handles - maybe something else at play?
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:02 - Mar 17 with 3004 viewsRyorry

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 17 by sparks

Given that we just had deaths double overnight- I would suggest we are heading down the Italy route right now...

Probably obvious, but -

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-undiagnosed-spread.html?utm_source=notif

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:05 - Mar 17 with 2980 viewsTrequartista

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 17 by sparks

Doubled over 2 nights, but sadly, I agree, yes it does.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 21:06]

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:11 - Mar 17 with 2949 viewssparks

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:02 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Probably obvious, but -

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-undiagnosed-spread.html?utm_source=notif

Thats good and bad news.

Good because it may well be that the fatality rate is vastly lower than currently thought. Bad because we have been concentrating on specific symptoms and periods- when people with a dry throat and a bit of a headache may have been passing it on for weeks, oblivious to the possibility.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:24 - Mar 17 with 2908 viewsPhilTWTD

https://www.wired.com/story/why-the-coronavirus-hit-italy-so-hard/
Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:29 - Mar 17 with 2833 viewsfooters

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 20:44 - Mar 17 by StokieBlue

SB

It is St Patricks day tbf.

I'm just getting pissed at home and listening to the Dubliners.

f.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 21:30]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:33 - Mar 17 with 2812 viewsRyorry

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:24 - Mar 17 by PhilTWTD

https://www.wired.com/story/why-the-coronavirus-hit-italy-so-hard/

Oh - that's really interesting & makes sense, thanks for posting it.

Heartbreaking that 2 factors normally considered positive - Mediterranean diet, and caring for elderly relatives personally - could have such an awful effect.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:40 - Mar 17 with 2747 viewsStokieBlue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:29 - Mar 17 by footers

It is St Patricks day tbf.

I'm just getting pissed at home and listening to the Dubliners.

f.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 21:30]

Indeed but the Auld Shillelagh decided to close and that's probably one of the biggest nights in London.

Huge statement from them.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:43 - Mar 17 with 2727 viewsfooters

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:40 - Mar 17 by StokieBlue

Indeed but the Auld Shillelagh decided to close and that's probably one of the biggest nights in London.

Huge statement from them.

SB

London's best Guinness served to your table when the bar's busy. Heaven.

f.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:45 - Mar 17 with 2698 viewssparks

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:33 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Heartbreaking that 2 factors normally considered positive - Mediterranean diet, and caring for elderly relatives personally - could have such an awful effect.

The worrying thing is that our curve seems currently to look similar... Time will tell.

I like to think that, being out in the sticks, we are less vulnerable. Reality is we just have no idea how widespread this already is- and whether the Type 1 diabetic Mrs is potentially in real trouble. She just got a new job- and is probably going to find it gone this week- as the entire place is now working from home, before they have had a chance to train her...

We are in a strong position compared to most- i cant begin to think how stressful this is for people reliant on self employed income, or in small companies.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:54 - Mar 17 with 2660 viewsPinewoodblue

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:33 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

The biggest fear in Italy is the spread of the virus in southern regions of the country is some distance behind Lombardy and the wuslity of health care in the south of the country is inferior to that in Lombardy the wealthiest region with the best health care service in the country.

Not sure lucky is the correct word to use but realistically cannot see any one reason to explain why the virus spread quicker in most European countries than it has here.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 22:01 - Mar 17 with 2614 viewssparks

Still some people under estimate the impact of coronavirus on 21:54 - Mar 17 by Pinewoodblue

The biggest fear in Italy is the spread of the virus in southern regions of the country is some distance behind Lombardy and the wuslity of health care in the south of the country is inferior to that in Lombardy the wealthiest region with the best health care service in the country.

Not sure lucky is the correct word to use but realistically cannot see any one reason to explain why the virus spread quicker in most European countries than it has here.

We are an island and it kicked off later here- I think thats about it.

Im not expert on Italy- but recall from A level geography that southern italy was almost considered third world 25 years ago. Could be disasterous.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024