Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rationing 13:11 - Mar 18 with 1590 viewsuefacup81

Surely if this continues on much longer (or not, perhaps we're at that point already), some sort of formal rationing needs to be implemented?

It's all well and good supermarkets saying that they'll be limiting customers to two of each item or whatever, but that does nothing to stop a family all going round with their own trolleys, or an individual purchaser making multiple visits to the same supermarket, or others in the local area.

The only true way to make sure that there is enough for everyone, given the general public's refusal to play nice, is to have formal rationing implemented by central government.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Rationing on 13:14 - Mar 18 with 1564 viewsJakeITFC

There aren’t supply chain worries though, are there?

That is to say that eventually the people hoarding supplies won’t have the need to shop again and normality will be restored.
Rationing on 13:15 - Mar 18 with 1550 viewsuefacup81

Rationing on 13:14 - Mar 18 by JakeITFC

That is to say that eventually the people hoarding supplies won’t have the need to shop again and normality will be restored.

That's what we're being told, but although the supply chains are allegedly there the stock is disappearing within minutes of it being on the shelves.

I initially had no intention to 'hoard' things, but given the way things have gone I would probably be inclined to grab one or two more of an in-demand item as there's currently no guarantee that I'd be able to get it later.

That's the problem; hoarding begets hoarding.

Rationing on 13:19 - Mar 18 with 1520 viewsclive_baker

The supermarkets are absolutely fine. There's no need for talk of rationing and no need to panic buy. Waitrose had a week last week in line with Christmas, but without the beefed up staff, that causes issues. There's no supply issues, we just need to buy what we normally need. 10% - 20% more if it gives you some comfort, but there's no reason to buy 50 bog rolls and leave some folk with out.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rationing on 13:30 - Mar 18 with 1472 viewsSarge

Rationing on 13:19 - Mar 18 by clive_baker

The supermarkets are absolutely fine. There's no need for talk of rationing and no need to panic buy. Waitrose had a week last week in line with Christmas, but without the beefed up staff, that causes issues. There's no supply issues, we just need to buy what we normally need. 10% - 20% more if it gives you some comfort, but there's no reason to buy 50 bog rolls and leave some folk with out.

There’s no reason but unfortunately that won’t stop people doing it. You cannot trust the general public, see also: people ignoring the distancing advice
Rationing on 13:34 - Mar 18 with 1455 viewsuefacup81

Rationing on 13:30 - Mar 18 by Sarge

There’s no reason but unfortunately that won’t stop people doing it. You cannot trust the general public, see also: people ignoring the distancing advice

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. That's enough for me.

Rationing on 13:59 - Mar 18 with 1409 viewsRyorry

Would be disastrous for people with allergies who'd be unable to take up any of their allocation of some things - eg milk or cheese - but who compensate for that miss in their diet by doubling up on other things such as nut milks, eggs, pulses or meat.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rationing on 14:02 - Mar 18 with 1398 viewsuefacup81

Rationing on 13:59 - Mar 18 by Ryorry

Would be disastrous for people with allergies who'd be unable to take up any of their allocation of some things - eg milk or cheese - but who compensate for that miss in their diet by doubling up on other things such as nut milks, eggs, pulses or meat.

I suppose it would need to be more nuanced than the very prescriptive rationing used in WW2.

Perhaps it could be tied in with food groups - proteins, carbohydrates etc., That way one token could be used to cover milk, cheese, nut milks, pulses etc.,

Rationing on 14:05 - Mar 18 with 1386 viewshampstead_blue

we could ration the number of crazy posts.

I think I've shot that bolt a while back. Oops!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Rationing on 14:05 - Mar 18 with 1386 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Rationing on 13:15 - Mar 18 by uefacup81

That's what we're being told, but although the supply chains are allegedly there the stock is disappearing within minutes of it being on the shelves.

I initially had no intention to 'hoard' things, but given the way things have gone I would probably be inclined to grab one or two more of an in-demand item as there's currently no guarantee that I'd be able to get it later.

That's the problem; hoarding begets hoarding.

Exactly that.

I have no intention of hoarding. We have food. We have medicine. We have all the stuff we need to function and don't have mass reserves of stuff.

But once you know that everyone is taking all of the things you'll need next week, in some cases 3-4 of them, then it's tempting to do likewise.

I have a hand sanitiser gel on my desk as habit. Ran out last week. Been to 6 or 7 places to find it and still haven't got one. So if I walk into a shop now and see a load should I buy one and have this all over again in a few weeks or take two or three. That's the problem.

If I don't take it then when I need to buy one it'll be gone because someone else has taken three. Everyone cares about themselves and half that care about others. It shouldn't be necessary to stop people hoarding but it is as the considerate are missing out to the selfish.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Rationing on 15:13 - Mar 18 with 1293 viewsSwansea_Blue

The lengths some people are going to to ensure supplies...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rationing on 15:21 - Mar 18 with 1277 viewshype313

Rationing on 13:14 - Mar 18 by JakeITFC

Trouble is, unfortunately in this country, people can't be trusted to act responsibily, so we may have to take the decision away from the masses.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rationing on 15:37 - Mar 18 with 1249 viewsN2_Blue

there are other shops to supermarkets!! I've not used a supermarket in the last two weeks and got every item i wanted from a collection of 3 or 4 shops other than hand sanitizer.

I appreciate for convenience not everyone can use local small shops but nearly all essentials are available, we are no where near the need for rationing because food production and supply chains are not a problem.

People are the problem as usual. There is only so much food and supplies people can store, things will be normal again very soon once people have spent their disposable income/filled their cupboards!
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:40]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Rationing on 15:55 - Mar 18 with 1210 viewseireblue

Just came back from a shortened trip in the US.

Was interesting to see that all the diary and non-dairy milk had gone, very little meat, but normal amounts of vegan/plant based products things.

At the tills, the two of a thing policy was being policed. Luckily, for my wife's pets, cat food seemed to be exempt.

Which made me wonder, will people go for the cat food or the quorn first?
Rationing on 15:57 - Mar 18 with 1202 viewsmonytowbray

Rationing on 15:55 - Mar 18 by eireblue

Was interesting to see that all the diary and non-dairy milk had gone, very little meat, but normal amounts of vegan/plant based products things.

At the tills, the two of a thing policy was being policed. Luckily, for my wife's pets, cat food seemed to be exempt.

As I said in another thread, perhaps we need to remain smug but also tell everyone being vegan is REALLY hard for times like this so we can still get fed.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Rationing on 16:01 - Mar 18 with 1186 viewsmonytowbray

The thing with the supply chains is we've been told they are fine but I expect most the stuff in supermarkets these days is imported (affected by travel bans) and anything produced in the UK will likely see working restrictions (which is also an overseas issue too). I expect if any countries are having shortages and it's a ballache to get overseas that exporting to other nations won't happen.

Depends how long this goes on and how much stock they have really. I've never been on the floor of a shop supply warehouse.

Then again if they were low on supplies of anything I'd be amazed if anyone would say anything because it would cause more chaos. The answer is "chill the f*ck out and take what you realistically need for the next week or two".

Guess it also doesn't help that most sensible folk are trying to avoid leaving the house too, so getting out of multiple trips to the shops.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 16:11]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Rationing on 16:24 - Mar 18 with 1154 viewsjeera

Rationing on 13:19 - Mar 18 by clive_baker

Except atm those are just words.

I've been to Tesco, again today in search of possible 3 - 4 items, but still no sign.

Aisles of tinned food all gone.

All the obvious; pasta, not a single item.

Loo rolls; not one left.

Pharmacy aisles; large gaps.

Frozen veg; pretty much desolate.

Flour, none.

Some grains...

Etc.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rationing on 16:26 - Mar 18 with 1144 viewsjeera

Rationing on 15:55 - Mar 18 by eireblue

Interesting to see the diaries have gone too.

I suppose that's for people to keep a check on their supplies.

Now that, is planning.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rationing on 16:26 - Mar 18 with 1143 viewsRyorry

Rationing on 16:01 - Mar 18 by monytowbray

The thing with the supply chains is we've been told they are fine but I expect most the stuff in supermarkets these days is imported (affected by travel bans) and anything produced in the UK will likely see working restrictions (which is also an overseas issue too). I expect if any countries are having shortages and it's a ballache to get overseas that exporting to other nations won't happen.

Depends how long this goes on and how much stock they have really. I've never been on the floor of a shop supply warehouse.

Then again if they were low on supplies of anything I'd be amazed if anyone would say anything because it would cause more chaos. The answer is "chill the f*ck out and take what you realistically need for the next week or two".

Guess it also doesn't help that most sensible folk are trying to avoid leaving the house too, so getting out of multiple trips to the shops.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 16:11]

"Dig for Britain".

Seriously, have spent most of the afty shopping online for garden supplies (compost, soil conditioners & thermometer, fleeces etc) in prep for getting my veg garden going again. At back end of last year had decided to reduce the effort this year, but ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024