Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Capable UK Prime Ministers 14:04 - Mar 18 with 1713 viewsLord_Lucan

It's an interesting point which I was discussing with Corbynista RKD

It's not a case of party politics but more the leader of the said parties.

I think Corbyn would frazzle under this pressure, as would Theresa May, however I think Tony Blair would really step up to the plate - and I am not a Blair fan.

Heath and Wilson would be 50/50 although I would take Wilson over Heath. Major would be ok.

I can't make my mind up about Thatcher

Edit; I forgot about Cameron and Callaghan. Cameron about 50/50, Callaghan - disaster.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 14:19]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:10 - Mar 18 with 1668 viewsBlueNomad

Wilson - calm and objective
Heath - not strong enough
Callaghan - crisis what crisis?
Thatcher - a decisive leader so she would have been good
Major - great manager who was always calm
Blair - would have been excellent
Brown - would have been calm
Cameron - would have been ok
May - disastrous
Johnson - no leadership, blowing in the wind.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 14:13]
Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:14 - Mar 18 with 1644 viewsuefacup81

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:10 - Mar 18 by BlueNomad

May - disastrous

Agreed, Thatcher would have been calm and decisive, but would those decisions benefit those who need it most?

Case in point, the policy for Liverpool to become the subject of a 'managed decline'.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:14 - Mar 18 with 1627 viewsBlueBadger

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:14 - Mar 18 by uefacup81

Agreed, Thatcher would have been calm and decisive, but would those decisions benefit those who need it most?

Case in point, the policy for Liverpool to become the subject of a 'managed decline'.

And would she have been willing to walk back bad decisions?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:15 - Mar 18 with 1627 viewsmonytowbray

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:10 - Mar 18 by BlueNomad

May - disastrous

Cameron lost any faith I could have with his reckless Brexit approach to win votes so it would be a no for him.

I'd trust May more, I don't think she did a bad job (as far as that lot go IMO) but she did pick up the sh1tty stick from the sh1tty end, Boris just came in and polished the remaining poo off when it was already all over her hands.

Not sure about the rest, I could only really comment on Blair and Brown in my adult life, neither of them particularly fill me with confidence from the Iraq War and the Banks Bailout approaches.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:35 - Mar 18 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Blue

Prime Ministers are like London buses. You wait years for a bad one and then three come along at once

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:06 - Mar 18 with 1510 viewsBugs

Johnson, the waffle, the ambiguity, the lack of clarity, the lack of leadership and his history of incompetence, makes me wish any of the people below were PM now.

Corbyn has endured 5 years media attacks that no leader, or opposition leader, has had to endure in our countries history. He's a lot tougher, resolute than people think.

May, I think she would not have been a BJ disaster, but not great.

Cameron, I despise the man, but I actually think he would have done a good job in this crisis.

Brown, despite what many think of him in this country gained world wide respect with his handling of the financial crisis. That gives an indication that he would have been good in the current situation.

Blair, yeah I have little doubt he would have been a good PM to have now.

Major, I'm not so certain about, can't make up my mind on him.

Thatcher, as a chemist she would have seen straight away, that any scientific advice that is an outlier from the rest of the world and the WHO, better have mighty good evidence behind it. There would also be no ambiguity from the government. It wouldn't be maybe perhaps you shouldn't go to pubs and clubs . It would be all pubs and clubs WILL be shut. I hated the women BTW.

Pre Thatcher is before my time.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:07]
Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:09 - Mar 18 with 1494 viewsmonytowbray

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:06 - Mar 18 by Bugs

Johnson, the waffle, the ambiguity, the lack of clarity, the lack of leadership and his history of incompetence, makes me wish any of the people below were PM now.

Corbyn has endured 5 years media attacks that no leader, or opposition leader, has had to endure in our countries history. He's a lot tougher, resolute than people think.

Cameron, I despise the man, but I actually think he would have done a good job in this crisis.

Brown, despite what many think of him in this country gained world wide respect with his handling of the financial crisis. That gives an indication that he would have been good in the current situation.

Thatcher, as a chemist she would have seen straight away, that any scientific advice that is an outlier from the rest of the world and the WHO, better have mighty good evidence behind it. There would also be no ambiguity from the government. It wouldn't be maybe perhaps you shouldn't go to pubs and clubs . It would be all pubs and clubs WILL be shut. I hated the women BTW.

My Dad wasn't a Thatcher fan but often reminds me she did make some strong pro-environmental moves so I think you're right. I'd expect science on a global scale would have guided her more. And maybe she'd have took the dangers more serious earlier on.

Then again she'd have very different technology and communication means. I feel maybe part of the reason the government was so dismissive is even the population was for the most part. We see so much scare mongering in the press and on social media I think we've become blind to it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:10 - Mar 18 with 1499 viewsBlueBadger

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:06 - Mar 18 by Bugs

I rather suspect that Corbyn would have dithered, hid, issued advice contradictory to the official line and then blamed it on the Israeli secret service, if his performance over the past five years is anything to go by.

Neither of the main leaders in the last election would have suited to our current Interesting Times.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:11]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:07 - Mar 18 with 1310 viewssolemio

We need Clement Attlee. Simply the best.
Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:10 - Mar 18 with 1303 viewshampstead_blue

There can be only two.....

Maggie
Winston

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:29 - Mar 18 with 1274 viewsbaxterbasics

Mrs T would be kicking ass and taking names.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:52 - Mar 18 with 1233 viewsBloomBlue

Disagree on Wilson he couldn't even stand up to the unions would be terrible in this situation
Heath 50/50
Corbyn would be no where couldn't make a decision over the Salisbury situation when the Russians could have killed more and he always breaks under pressure
Blair would be OK but would he actually read the evidence
Thatcher would have stormed this, would be the best leader in this situation
Cameron and Callaghan would be a failure
May & Brown I think would be good in this situation, maybe neither was great overall as a leader I think in these situations they both had the ability to remain calm
Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:58 - Mar 18 with 1212 viewstractordownsouth

Out of all the PMs we’ve had in the last 50 years, I think Brown would have been the most calm and authoritative in the situation and I’m sure he would have been willing to increase sick pay for the most vulnerable.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 17:59 - Mar 18 with 1207 viewsjeera

If you listen to McDonnell speak he comes across as a considerate man. Fan or not your son has a point regarding Corbyn with him at his side.

Thatcher would cut off the most needy, seeing them as trash that needed to be culled. They would be her fodder.

Major would be fine.

Blair would also be on par with Major.

Brown would put the economy first and still get it wrong.

Cameron would be out of his depth.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:03 - Mar 18 with 1193 viewstractordownsouth

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 14:15 - Mar 18 by monytowbray

Cameron lost any faith I could have with his reckless Brexit approach to win votes so it would be a no for him.

I'd trust May more, I don't think she did a bad job (as far as that lot go IMO) but she did pick up the sh1tty stick from the sh1tty end, Boris just came in and polished the remaining poo off when it was already all over her hands.

Not sure about the rest, I could only really comment on Blair and Brown in my adult life, neither of them particularly fill me with confidence from the Iraq War and the Banks Bailout approaches.

Brown had to bail out the banks. Of course we shouldn’t have got to that position in the first place, but once we did, he couldn’t just let them fold. Millions of people would have lost savings and the subsequent austerity would have been even worse.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:06 - Mar 18 with 1186 viewsjeera

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:03 - Mar 18 by tractordownsouth

Brown had to bail out the banks. Of course we shouldn’t have got to that position in the first place, but once we did, he couldn’t just let them fold. Millions of people would have lost savings and the subsequent austerity would have been even worse.

Brown was chancellor for years.

If anyone in this country should have had some insight, especially with the expert support he had of the civil service, it was him.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:11 - Mar 18 with 1173 viewsClapham_Junction

I thought Gordon Brown did a very good job of handling the last major crisis.

Given what he did the morning after the referendum result, I doubt Cameron would have been up to it.

I would guess that a PM's ability to handle a major crisis like this is strongly linked to how willing they are to work as equals with experts in the civil service and listen to advice, and how well respected they are by the general population (another reason I think Cameron would fail badly).
Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:14 - Mar 18 with 1164 viewstractordownsouth

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:06 - Mar 18 by jeera

Brown was chancellor for years.

If anyone in this country should have had some insight, especially with the expert support he had of the civil service, it was him.

True, but not many chancellors/ finance ministers saw it coming.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:20 - Mar 18 with 1136 viewsjeera

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:14 - Mar 18 by tractordownsouth

True, but not many chancellors/ finance ministers saw it coming.

With respect my friend...

It's a different perspective when you've lived through someone's 'reign' as an adult and experienced the consequences first hand, than to have read about it, no matter at what length.

I repeat, no disrespect to you personally.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:22 - Mar 18 with 1122 viewstractordownsouth

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:20 - Mar 18 by jeera

With respect my friend...

It's a different perspective when you've lived through someone's 'reign' as an adult and experienced the consequences first hand, than to have read about it, no matter at what length.

I repeat, no disrespect to you personally.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Although we’re probably in agreement that most of New Labour’s failings were due to their more free market policies rather than their public spending, despite the Tory narrative.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 18:23]

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:31 - Mar 18 with 1104 viewsjeera

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:22 - Mar 18 by tractordownsouth

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Although we’re probably in agreement that most of New Labour’s failings were due to their more free market policies rather than their public spending, despite the Tory narrative.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 18:23]

We know where the Blair governance went wrong.

And the power he gave to those around him to keep them onside; the promises.

Don't try this one on, I lost a lot to these decisions. You were a child being kept by your mum and dad.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 18:36]

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:34 - Mar 18 with 1097 viewsjeera

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 15:10 - Mar 18 by BlueBadger

I rather suspect that Corbyn would have dithered, hid, issued advice contradictory to the official line and then blamed it on the Israeli secret service, if his performance over the past five years is anything to go by.

Neither of the main leaders in the last election would have suited to our current Interesting Times.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 15:11]

"I rather suspect" = I guess.

Put you down as a don't know then.

Wild speculation doesn't count.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:36 - Mar 18 with 1090 viewsBluefish

Cameron would have excelled with something like this. If it had happened back then he would be so in control that he wouldn't need to gamble on the referendum.....oh what might have been.

Blair would be too busy trying to lie to validate every mad Trump comment and agreeing with Donald

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:38 - Mar 18 with 1084 viewsjeera

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 18:36 - Mar 18 by Bluefish

Cameron would have excelled with something like this. If it had happened back then he would be so in control that he wouldn't need to gamble on the referendum.....oh what might have been.

Blair would be too busy trying to lie to validate every mad Trump comment and agreeing with Donald

That doesn't even make sense.

Capable UK Prime Ministers on 19:16 - Mar 18 with 1053 viewsPecker

I'm happy with Boris. Think he is doing a great job in troubled and uncertain times. Failing him, I would take Wilson over the others.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024